Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/10/2012 3:26:27 AM EDT
I am doing a build on an AR15 and I was thinking of doing a 7.62x39 build, but I have recently been reading that this round causes feed problems. Thus is not a reliable weapon. Can members with experience with the 7.62x39 AR15 give feedback in regards to what developed with their build and the preformance the rifle gave them. Thank You
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 3:45:04 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I am doing a build on an AR15 and I was thinking of doing a 7.62x39 build, but I have recently been reading that this round causes feed problems. Thus is not a reliable weapon. Can members with experience with the 7.62x39 AR15 give feedback in regards to what developed with their build and the preformance the rifle gave them. Thank You

it takes a lot of tinkering to make it run perfect, mags being the biggest problem. Unless you spend extra to get better bolts/parts then its a  crapshoot. There are better options. If you want it for a cheap plinker, get a 5.45

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 4:25:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I was told the stoner AR15 Magazines were the best selection to use, and I have no problem using top grade parts. When Using the surplus 7.62x39 ammo, I understand the longer .005 firing pin is suggested. Any sugestions on Bolt carrier Group, Barrels, magazines, or Tweek methods known to fine tune the feeding and reliability??

I was wanting to stock as few variations of ammunition as possible by going 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 4:37:04 AM EDT
[#3]
The 7.62x39 ARs just don't run as well as the other variants.  Don't know why... but it is just what I have seen.  I understand not wanting to stock multiple calibers but if that is your primary concern buy multiple AKs or an AK and an SKS.  Otherwise, if you are going to spend $1000-$1800 on an AR you might as well invest another $300 in 1,000 rounds of 5.56 ammunition.  Sorry that this isn't much help as far as what you were asking but this is how I feel.  Maybe someone that knows the 7.62x39 AR platform a little better will come a long.  Look around in pic threads for someone who has one and IM them.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 4:38:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd go with a barrel and bcg combo from Harrison at AR15Performance.  Link
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 5:32:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I see the link only offers 16 inch barrels I was thinking about a 20 inch chrome lined and I found this barrel.

http://westernsportonline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=684

Anybody know anything about this barel manufacturer?
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 5:42:37 AM EDT
[#6]
skip the build and look at the new rock river lar47.  IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 5:43:00 AM EDT
[#7]
get mags first,

asc is supposed to be putting out the old c products design. They have to be culled though, and you get 60-80% that will function

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 5:45:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

meh, I had a AR47 basically the same thing. The AK mags run, but you have to cut the feed lips a little so the rounds can make it up the "steeper" angle, since you have the lugs on the bottom.
This takes care of the mag problem, but your still left with a weak bolt. You also have given upp 400-500 on the cost of the gun, and with the not so cheap 7.62, you would have to shoot a ton to make up the cost. If your doing it for ballistics, then there are better options.

Overall the 7.62x39 in the Ar is not the PBJ like a 5.45 is.

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 6:00:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Every 7.62x39 AR I have seen had problems.  It was the whole reason I skipped getting one and got the 5.45.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 6:37:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I see the link only offers 16 inch barrels I was thinking about a 20 inch chrome lined and I found this barrel.

http://westernsportonline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=684

Anybody know anything about this barel manufacturer?

Melonite is superior to chrome lining FYI.  If you want 20", look at YHM offerings.  I have a 20" chrome lined barrel and am happy with it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 6:54:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I believe after doing more research, and communicating with people that actually have had, and did not like the 7.62x39 and moved on to the 5.45. I may decide to change my mind and build a 5.45.

I dont see alot of barrel options. Hmmmmm
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 6:58:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got a few AK47's and a few AK74's. Also have both a Colt Sporter in 7.62x47 and an LWRC 5.45x39 upper.

Been shooting the AR  7.62x39 for  15 yrs or so.  And the LWRC 5.45 for about five.

So I think I know a bit about the various platforms.

If ANYTHING I'd suggest the 5.45x39 as an alternative. The ONLY thing the 7.62 brings to the table in my opinion is it's a better killer on deer and other game out to 200 yds or so. Even then the accuracy is poor and it's nothing more than a .30-30 power wise. The days of truly CHEAP surplus ammo are over.

The 5.45 is at least is fairly accurate. And cheaper to shoot if you snag the 7N6 surplus ammo in bulk.

BOTH have magazine issues with the 7.62 the most problematic. Years back there were some Frankenmags made; steel AK47 mags, cut and welded to a steel AR upper mag assembly. They were hit and miss, but I have a pair that work about 98% with a full 30 rds. Otherwise the ACS mags are your only choice.

Neither choice is without it's own issues.

FN in MT

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 7:15:31 AM EDT
[#13]
if you are set on 7.62x39 you should look at rock river arms they have a ar lower that takes ak mags
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 7:17:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine's been great, an Alpha Shooting Sport upper on a Plum Crazy lower w/ASC 30 & 10 round mags. First batch of ASC mags wouldn't always strip off the first round when fully loaded but after loading them up 4 or 5 times they seated in, second batch worked 100% every time. Last batch was some 10 rounders, first load did the same, 1st round wouldn't fully strip without the forward assist but after that they worked all the time. Once they're broken in they work great. At 100 yards I don't notice any difference in accuracy over my BCM upper. It's cheap, fun and reliable. I shoot the cheapest surplus ammo I can find, costs me less than the cheapest 9mm pistol ammo. I like my 9mmAR as well, but my 7.62x39 is my best bang for the buck at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 1:31:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Looks interesting.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#17]
my first build was a 7.62x39. still in the break in process but its coming alone nicely.  went with the ar15 performance barrel/ bolt combo with there auto carrier.  before building I researched myself and from what I could gather the main issues were the mags and the feed ramps.  

the first range trip was to work out what bugs I could as this was my first build. GB not lined up right, fixed that and it started firing a lot better. next was trying different buffer weights. had stove pipes, double feeds, bolt not locking back on empty mags. and of corase I ran it without enough lube for break in. between lube and buffer weight its running awesome.
last range trip was 210rds wolf MC. no FTE, no FTFeed. I think 2 mags failed to lock bolt back when empty. and 3-4rds  did not fire. inspected rds and all had good deep dimples and all fired when chambered a second time.
you could watch Magpuls art of tactical carbine dvd and see a lot more issues then I had on that range trip and they used 5.56.
 my rifle isn't even broken in yet with only about 350rds through it. it can only get better as it loosens up. hell may do the ramps too.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#18]
My build that I did for my son came out great, ASC 10 rnd Mags performed 100%.  It ran 100% with BrassW inchester 123gr White Box Target loads.
Feeding and Ejection were also 100%, the Winchester ammo was under powered though, and failed to lock back 50% of the time on a empty mag...
The commercial Russian steel cased ammo fired and fed 100% once the firing pin mods were done and a quick polish and blend were done for
added Insurance on the M4 feedramps...It shoots light and is very accurate (.310" Bore) with its 18" Mid-Gas SS tube...

My son just loves it now...he now has his Taciticool Zombie Defence Rifle.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey Surplusdoctor,

Honestly I have not had any problems in the operation cycle what so ever. Granted, you will spend a little more money for quality parts than if you were building a 5.56 AR, but in my book it has all been worth it. I use ASC mags without any miss feeding, a slightly modify firing pin with a DPMS 7.62x39 bolt. I have my set up in a Adams Arms piston system which also helps me manage the recoil better....

I did have some problems with a 264LBC build and that was caused due to the lower center of gravity of this type of rounds and the fact I was not using an A4 receiver. Just make sure your upper receiver is A4 (has extended feeding ramps precluded into the receiver, not just on the barrel extension) and use quality parts and u shouldn't have problems.

just my .02 cents
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#20]
So many 7.62x39 naysayers with little direct experience.  Mine is flawless!
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Same here, ARP barrel, ARP bolt,ASC mags and a 7.62x39 fireing pin  it shoots great
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

meh, I had a AR47 basically the same thing. The AK mags run, but you have to cut the feed lips a little so the rounds can make it up the "steeper" angle, since you have the lugs on the bottom.

This takes care of the mag problem, but your still left with a weak bolt. You also have given upp 400-500 on the cost of the gun, and with the not so cheap 7.62, you would have to shoot a ton to make up the cost. If your doing it for ballistics, then there are better options.

Overall the 7.62x39 in the Ar is not the PBJ like a 5.45 is.

Assumptions, how do they work?
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here, ARP barrel, ARP bolt,ASC mags and a 7.62x39 fireing pin  it shoots great

I see it the same. Had one built by JDMachine and it never skipped a beat. At the time, the CProd mags were available and there were a few others too.
Now that I have the mags and can run small ones when shooting here in CA, I am set.
I stacked the ammo when good Yugo surp was cheap.

The rig is a thumper by comparison to 223. I also did a 5.45x39 rig and most folks like it to the point they can't stop smiling and refuse to put it down. This one is gentler than the 223.

Don't let the nay sayers scare you, even 223 rigs require debugging from time to time.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I have 2 10.5" x39s

2 uppers actually for 1 SBR lower.

One has 3k down the pipe and the other about 400.

I even shoot suppressed. Go ahead and start acquiring parts for your 762x39 AR.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 11:30:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone have any experience with the model1sales.com complete 7.62x39 upper?  I'm thinking buying the complete upper from them with the bolt included.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 7:22:42 AM EDT
[#26]
I bought a 20" complete upper from them. I've shot about 200 rounds of surplus without issues, I also have a 5.45 that my wallet appreciates more.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 7:23:28 AM EDT
[#27]
I bought a 20" complete upper from them. I've shot about 200 rounds of surplus without issues, I also have a 5.45 that my wallet appreciates more.
Sorry for the double post.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you using a modded firing pin?  any problem with punched through primers?  ARP bolts are modded and use regular 5.56 firing pins!   just wondering.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Anyone have any experience with the model1sales.com complete 7.62x39 upper?  I'm thinking buying the complete upper from them with the bolt included.

I have their 16" hbar and it runs like a champ.  The only two mods I made were the enhanced fp and heavier hammer spring.  The CP/ASC mags are 100%.  Every time someone asks about 7.62X39 builds you get the same tired old complaints about the platform.  I have been very happy with mine.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Every time someone asks about 7.62X39 builds you get the same tired old complaints about the platform.

Human echo chambers who don't let facts get in way of throwing out old/outdated/inaccurate info.

Look at the bright side, the more people who think 7.62x39 ARs don't run, the more ammo available for those of us that know better.

Link Posted: 7/11/2012 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you using a modded firing pin?  any problem with punched through primers?  ARP bolts are modded and use regular 5.56 firing pins!   just wondering.

The 5.56 firing pin didn't set the russian primers off, when I shoot  boxer primed brass I put the 5.56 firing pin back in
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#32]
I like mine.

After the first 100 rounds it has run flawless. During the first 100 I had a couple failure to feed issues. And a couple failure to fire where the primer was not struck hard enough to ignite, seemed mostly on the last round in the mag. To rectify this I updated to the Model 1 firing pin which i think is longer and a Wolfe extra power hammer spring. After these mods it has run 100% (knock wood).

edit - I was using Russian ammo as well as some old Chinese I had laying around - firing pin and hammer spring mod really helped.
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 5:47:55 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Im not assuming, I've had (have) both and shot a lot with them. What do you have???

The AK mag does not sit high enough in the magwell w/o modding the BCG and can cause problems, with the length of the feedlip. Look at the feed lip height and where the rounds exit. Not assuming, its a fact

The bolt has to be opened for the 7.62 base, less metal will make it weaker-fact

So how am I assuming? Have you shot thousands of round with one? Have you broken 3 bolts? Have you had experinace with one for over 7 years?

Please tell me again what my assumptions are. As a note, do a archive search on the 7.62x39 in the varients forum, tell me how many flawless rifles post there are.

Link Posted: 7/12/2012 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 5.56 firing pin didn't set the russian primers off, when I shoot  boxer primed brass I put the 5.56 firing pin back in

thats the first I've heard of that happening with the ARP superbolt.  5.56 pin works fine in mine!  I did use the red heavy hammer spring from JP maybe thats what help mine out!
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Im not assuming, I've had (have) both and shot a lot with them. What do you have???

The AK mag does not sit high enough in the magwell w/o modding the BCG and can cause problems, with the length of the feedlip. Look at the feed lip height and where the rounds exit. Not assuming, its a fact

The bolt has to be opened for the 7.62 base, less metal will make it weaker-fact

So how am I assuming? Have you shot thousands of round with one? Have you broken 3 bolts? Have you had experinace with one for over 7 years?

Please tell me again what my assumptions are. As a note, do a archive search on the 7.62x39 in the varients forum, tell me how many flawless rifles post there are.

You are assuming the AR47 = RRA LAR47. Lots of people assumed the LAR 8s would have the same problems the other FAL mag ARs had, especially since the design was bought from Bushmaster. Guess what? RRA fixed them.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" - Stephen Hawking
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Anyone have any experience with the model1sales.com complete 7.62x39
upper?  I'm thinking buying the complete upper from them with the bolt
included.
20" I bought used.  Ate anything, PO used it out to 300 yards with handloads. Sold it only because I wanted a shorter upper.

Quoted:

See above.  If you'd like, I will start a flawless x39 upper thread to see what happens.

Link Posted: 7/12/2012 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#37]
A few years ago I put together an AR in 7.62x39. I have actually had a very good experience with it. The AR was never designed for that round, but it can be made to work very well. All my magazines are C-Products magazines. All the ones I have seem to work perfectly. For a barrel, I used one from MGI. I bought this barrel specifically because it used M-4 feed ramps. I got a Model 1 Sales bolt and their extended firing pin. My rifle functions great. Out of several hundred rounds, I had a couple of light firing pin strikes. I just added an extra power hammer spring to remedy that. It's a fun build and will work well if you do everything right. I enjoy my AR in 7.62x39, but I would never pick it over any of myAK's.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top