Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/14/2012 5:55:37 AM EDT
Looking to hear from persons who hunt with and shoot the 450 Bushmaster.  Results at the range and hunting Whitetails and Black Bear...

Reloading results are also of interest to me.  Not interested in hear comparisons to the 458 SOCOM or the 50BW.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 6:01:07 AM EDT
[#1]
So far I've shot a boar with mine. It weighed 198lbs. I shot it through the left front shoulder and it jellied everything north of the diaphragm. Definitely slammed that hog.

I have the 18" barrel and I find it to be very accurate even with just a simple red-dot sight. I can't wait to whack a deer or a bear with it.

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks JCoop.  What round did you use on the hog?
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 10:08:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Go to the 450 Bushmaster forum to get all the info you need
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

When in the world is this site going to work?  I have been checking it for over 2 weeks now and it says its down each time.

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Expect these type results on does at 75 yds;

Doc
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 2:41:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Shot a decent buck with mine last fall. Lil Gun is the way to go powder wise. The 450 forum has a ton of info from some guys that were there in the begining, and I think "wildcatter" is the man.
Once it's back up, it's a must for the 450 shooter. Google slow motion 450, a buddy took a slow mo video of me shooting mine.

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 3:59:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been trying the 450 Bushmaster Forum too but it's been a no-go there.

I'm looking forward to hunting and reloading the 450 Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Shot my deer with a 200gr FTX over 37 gr of lil gun, should have been around 2200 fps. It turned out to be a perfect whitetail round.
Some guys are running higher velocities, or heavier bullets, to each his own. No doubt the factory round is a show stopper too.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 10:04:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
When in the world is this site going to work?  I have been checking it for over 2 weeks now and it says its down each time.

Should be back up early this week.

I Tried to do what I thought was a simple upgrade a few weeks ago and it turned out to not be so simple. Those problems plus the fact that I had to finalize plans for and run a family reunion in the middle of these 3 weeks have made it take longer than it should.

Sorry, we will be back up soon.

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#10]
mnhornet,

I plan on starting to reload with Lil gun, I've used a lot of powders but not this one.  It seems this powder is a favorite by 450BM reloaders. Nice work!
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
mnhornet,

I plan on starting to reload with Lil gun, I've used a lot of powders but not this one.  It seems this powder is a favorite by 450BM reloaders. Nice work!

37 grains is actually a light load for Lil-Gun and the 450, but plenty for big northern whitetails, and I plan to use this load for bear if I draw a tag.
It's sperical and meters nice. I use it for 357 and 22Hornet too.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Anymore pics of the rifle?
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow,  How many footballs will fit in that exit hole?  That 200gr FTX at 2200fps did a number.  It must have expanded to the size of a quarter before exiting the back side.  Has anyone recovered a slug from a deer kill?  My son has taken four or five elk with his 450B and swears by it.  I just got mine after season last year and haven't been able to kill anything but beetle-kill spruce trees yet.  I know that a tree 10" thick will have a fist sized hole in the backside when hit from 80 yrds or so with the factory 250FTX's.  I can't wait to try this thing out on a "heavy timber" elk hunt next fall.  It handles so quick and fast, I don't think the dark stuff will be a problem.  Just go in there, find a couple of good fresh trails crossing, and take a seat.  When one of them critters sticks it's nose around a tree to take a peek at me, he's gonna meet a surprise!!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 3:16:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wow,  How many footballs will fit in that exit hole?  That 200gr FTX at 2200fps did a number.  It must have expanded to the size of a quarter before exiting the back side.  Has anyone recovered a slug from a deer kill?  My son has taken four or five elk with his 450B and swears by it.  I just got mine after season last year and haven't been able to kill anything but beetle-kill spruce trees yet.  I know that a tree 10" thick will have a fist sized hole in the backside when hit from 80 yrds or so with the factory 250FTX's.  I can't wait to try this thing out on a "heavy timber" elk hunt next fall.  It handles so quick and fast, I don't think the dark stuff will be a problem.  Just go in there, find a couple of good fresh trails crossing, and take a seat.  When one of them critters sticks it's nose around a tree to take a peek at me, he's gonna meet a surprise!!!

Actually my reloads didn't do much damage at all, except to the lungs.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top