Posts: 307
Feedback: 100% (4)
Posted: 5/28/2012 10:48:27 PM EDT
Do you use a standard ar15 buffer tube for an AR10?
Posts: 676
Feedback: 100% (92)
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/29/2012 5:54:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/29/2012 5:56:49 AM EDT by hottnucks]
Originally Posted By atrox:
Do you use a standard ar15 buffer tube for an AR10?

Q: What parts from an AR-15 can I use in a .308 rifle?
A: (from the AR-10 FAQ)
Pistol grip

Ejector/Safety spring

Safety detent

Buttstock screw (A2)

Buttstock Assembly (A2)

Buttstock Assembly (A2)

Buttstock spacer

Detent spring

Detent (2 per rifle)

Bolt stop pin

Bolt stop plunger

Bolt stop spring

Mag catch button

Mag catch spring

Safety selector

Rifle receiver extension


Disconnector spring

Standard Trigger

Trigger spring


Hammer spring

Hammer and trigger pin

Trigger guard pin

Trigger guard assembly (on some rifles - others have built in trigger guards)

Buffer detent

Buffer detent spring

The AR-15 Bolt catch should work on KAC/DPMS type lowers, but not AR-10 type lowers.

From DnPRK: Most AR trigger assemblies will fit an LR-308. The two triggers that require modification are 1) the Chip McCormick straight trigger which needs th end of the trigger clipped to clear the trigger guard and 2) the RRA trigger which might require the tip of the cocked hammer to be clipped to prevent it from dragging on the bottom of the bolt carrier.

An AR-15 rifle buffer tube will fit an LR-308, but you need the 308 rifle buffer and spring.

A CAR-15/M-4 collapsible stock buffer tube will fit an LR-308 but you need to use a Slash shortened buffer and 308 spring, or use Armalite's collapsible stock buffer, tube and spring for the AR-10 carbine.
Posts: 308
Feedback: 100% (4)
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/29/2012 11:46:54 AM EDT
Guess I should have read more before posting. Thank you.
Posts: 1679
Feedback: 100% (6)
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/30/2012 5:38:19 AM EDT
Not with the AR-10. The AR-10 is a ArmaLite made rifle. The DPMS LR-308 carbine uses a AR-15 tube and shorter buffer.
Life is Garand
Posts: 13329
Feedback: 100% (176)
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/30/2012 8:04:40 AM EDT
If you're using a rifle length stock the answer is Yes.
You will need a .308 Rifle Buffer & Spring. AR15 rifle buffers/springs will not work.

If you want to install a carbine stock you have two choices for buffer tube length.
  1. With a standard 7" tube you need a short buffer & spring, such as a CAR-10 Buffer. Some stocks such as the Magpul UBR have a proprietary buffer tube and require the use of a short buffer.
  2. With an extended VLTOR/ArmaLite tube (7-7/4") you can use a standard AR15 carbine length buffer, but you still need a .308 buffer spring. You need AT LEAST an H3 (5.5 oz) buffer for use in a .308. Note that with the extended tube some stocks will not fully collapse, and those that do will leave you with 3/4" of buffer tube protruding beyond the butt plate (OUCH!!!).
Let me know if you have any other questions >
Posts: 2100
Feedback: 0% (0)
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/30/2012 9:59:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/30/2012 10:00:20 AM EDT by RandyStacyE]
Armalite AR10 Buffer $18 AR10 Buffer to be used with A2 style stocks. Will not work with 6 position stocks.

Armalite AR10 Buffer Spring $8.00 Buffer Spring to be used with A2 style stocks or AR10 collapsible buffer tubes.