Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2012 3:39:07 PM EDT
What are you guys using for triggers on your 5.45 guns?
I recently put one of the extra power Wolff hammer springs in my rifle due to a couple rounds that didn't ignite.  The trigger is heavy now.  

I know that Geissele uses heavy springs, but I'm on something of a budget here.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What are you guys using for triggers on your 5.45 guns?
I recently put one of the extra power Wolff hammer springs in my rifle due to a couple rounds that didn't ignite.  The trigger is heavy now.  

I know that Geissele uses heavy springs, but I'm on something of a budget here.

If you cut off your hammer tail, then you could run the normal spring and it would likely work fine.

I run a Geissele but on a budget, I would just use a hacksaw or dremel and cut the hammer tail off and run the normal spring, you'll have a better trigger pull than the wolf spring.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the 8.25" Spikes uppers and have used it with a Geissele SD3G trigger and the standard trigger that comes with CMMG lowers. With the Geissele I had 3 that did not fire the first time, but fired the second time. With the CMMG trigger I did not have any issues which suprised me. I am assembling a Spikes lower that I just got my stamp back on and will be using their Battle Trigger to see how it works.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 12:38:18 AM EDT
[#3]
sorry I can't really help.  The heavy springs are a bit rough but they will likely be your best bet for ignition.  Depends on the rig type if it is kiss and you wanna just shoot it a bunch stick with the heavy.  I love the geissele triggers and have found them to be more than worth it in 5.45 guns.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the insight so far, guys.  Keep it coming.

Quoted:
sorry I can't really help.  The heavy springs are a bit rough but they will likely be your best bet for ignition.  Depends on the rig type if it is kiss and you wanna just shoot it a bunch stick with the heavy.  I love the geissele triggers and have found them to be more than worth it in 5.45 guns.

Right now it has no sights, midlength handguards, and a collapsible stock.  I'm thinking of adding a rifle-length free-float tube and maybe an A2 stock to mimic the feel of my 3-gun rifle.  I'll probably throw my Aimpoint on there and use it for practice and local 3-gun matches where there aren't really any long shots.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#5]
The Spikes Battle Trigger with a heavier spring works well, and the pull is still decent due to the lubricity in the coating.

The Geissele SSA is the only way to go though IMHO. Especially for longer ranges or snap shooting.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#6]
RRA 3.5 NM with Wolf Xtra power works like gang busters for my AA 5.45 upper. Never a misfire and for 100 bucks the NM trigger is super nice.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The Geissele SSA is the only way to go though IMHO. Especially for longer ranges or snap shooting.

Yep, thats what I use on my 5.45. Works great. Never had any problems.

Link Posted: 4/29/2012 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Same here, never had a light strike using GA trigger on 5.45x39
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Cutting the tail off my hammer did not work for me.  

I also took a bit off the tail of my 5.45 bolts so my firing pin would protrude a bit more.  I improved ignition, but not to 100%.

Bought Geissele SSAs and that did the trick.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 10:20:54 PM EDT
[#10]
My SSA does the trick 100% of the time.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 11:53:46 PM EDT
[#11]
its basically one of those things you can go cheap on but I haven't seen a reliable counter to the GA line.  The ssa and ssae both ran well on my 5.45 the heavy spring from wolf has gotten worse for the wear on me and Im afraid I need to replace it on one of my 5.45s might just switch to a GA.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 7:40:56 AM EDT
[#12]
armalite tactical 2 stage trigger works as well
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 1:48:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I have had good luck with a Rock River NM 2-stage trigger with the stock spring.  I haven't had a misfire yet.
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 7:48:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I had my trigger polished and the contact surfaces between the trigger and hammer trued up.  Rainier arms sell an ALG defence trigger group that has had this done too.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 7:50:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Spikes Battle Trigger with a heavier spring works well, and the pull is still decent due to the lubricity in the coating.

i vote for the SSA as well.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 3:23:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the input, guys.  I'm going to keep an eye out for a used Geissele.  In the meantime, I may cut the tail off of a spare hammer and give it a try.

Here's a couple pics of the rifles.  The one with the scope is my .223 competition rifle.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2012 12:14:38 AM EDT
[#17]
For a budget trigger, Rock River Arms 2 stage is a huge winner. Run stock springs and you'll fire off even the hardest primers. Super nice, crisp break and they run around 4.5 lbs on my guns.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have the 8.25" Spikes uppers and have used it with a Geissele SD3G trigger and the standard trigger that comes with CMMG lowers. With the Geissele I had 3 that did not fire the first time, but fired the second time. With the CMMG trigger I did not have any issues which suprised me. I am assembling a Spikes lower that I just got my stamp back on and will be using their Battle Trigger to see how it works.

No different than any quality milspec trigger. I have one in my 5.45. The corrosion resistance is nice, and the feel of the pull is slightly better than most parkerized trigger groups, but that's about it. Ignitiion in my case is still not reliable. When I get home, I will try the cut hammer leg and then an SSA I think.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top