Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#1]
There are numerous pics in threads in this forum of subsonic deer kills with the 300 BLK and prior to that the 300 Whisper.  Outlaw State Bullets have large and heavy .308 caliber expanding bullets (as well as other calibers) that will do the job at subsonic velocities, but they aren't cheap and you aren't going to make 300 yard shots with them.  Suppressed subsonic has several significant advantages such as low recoil, no flash and it is hearing safe.  600 foot pounds is a number that still doesn't take into account the size of the bullet (i.e. surface area) and penetration depth.  If using tiny bullets like the .17, .20 or .22 caliber bullets you may need a lot more than 600 foot pounds to reach vitals and create enough blood loss/tissue damage to kill it right there.  If using large bullets that create bigger wound channels, you may be able to kill effectively with less kinetic energy as many photos and the rant about muzzle loaders was trying to show.

If you do a ballistic chart on 7.62x39 vs. the 300 BLK, despite less muzzle velocity, the better ballistic coefficients give the 300 BLK more retained velocity and kinetic energy past 200 yards than the 7.62x39.

Savage was trying to do the 300 BLK 1 in 10 twist 20" barrel which won't work with factory subs because they will keyhole due to not being stableized, plus the extra barrel length may make some ammo go trans-sonic.  According to Savage's website there is no option for 6.8 either.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There are numerous pics in threads in this forum of subsonic deer kills with the 300 BLK and prior to that the 300 Whisper.  Outlaw State Bullets have large and heavy .308 caliber expanding bullets (as well as other calibers) that will do the job at subsonic velocities, but they aren't cheap and you aren't going to make 300 yard shots with them.  Suppressed subsonic has several significant advantages such as low recoil, no flash and it is hearing safe.  600 foot pounds is a number that still doesn't take into account the size of the bullet (i.e. surface area) and penetration depth.  If using tiny bullets like the .17, .20 or .22 caliber bullets you may need a lot more than 600 foot pounds to reach vitals and create enough blood loss/tissue damage to kill it right there.  If using large bullets that create bigger wound channels, you may be able to kill effectively with less kinetic energy as many photos and the rant about muzzle loaders was trying to show.

If you do a ballistic chart on 7.62x39 vs. the 300 BLK, despite less muzzle velocity, the better ballistic coefficients give the 300 BLK more retained velocity and kinetic energy past 200 yards than the 7.62x39.

Savage was trying to do the 300 BLK 1 in 10 twist 20" barrel which won't work with factory subs because they will keyhole due to not being stabilized, plus the extra barrel length may make some ammo go trans-sonic.  According to Savage's website there is no option for 6.8 either.

Curious;
Explain to me how a 7.62(AKA .30 cal) bullet out of a 300 can have better ballistics than the same 7.62(AKA .30 cal) bullet fired from a 7.62x39 with a slower muzzle velocity?
Both cartridges being similar in size, (So, we're not comparing it to a 308 or 30-06.)

Also, curious is in the pic is that the 100yrd bare gel results in 19.7", but, the 300yrd is 20.5"? Also, bare gel is 20.5 & heavy clothes is 21.1 with perfect petal opening (I have heard of HP pistol bullet being clogged with clothing & not opening penetrating deeper. [IIRC a FBI Report])....Very strange?

Not insinuating anything, just my findings of discrepancies in an analysis of the pic & data. I am sure they can easily be explained away. Thermodynamics maybe?
Something minute but, interesting as s side note: Those curled petals look like an inverted NHRA drag chute. Should make an interesting terminal ballistic study of the 'Impulse' between the entrance & exit (if one exist).

FWIW-
1. A: The 6.8 can kill small to medium size Elk & Caribou out to 300yards. Plus, some of the 85gr 6.8 has a very fast (around 3050+fps out of a 16") & good frangible pelt protecting loads for varmints.  Not sure about the 300?
2. Those pistol mentioned, IIRC Mr. Silvers said they were 2" barrels or it could just be the .44mag that is bandied about? Also, the pistol bullets are heavier bullets.(which have more Force/Momentum/inertia)
3. Concerning the 6.8 110gr 16" barrel factory loads. I request you please use 2700fps/1780 ft-lbs. Also, concerning the 6.8 SPC 85gr factory load use 3050fps/1708ft-lbs.
4. All test were from a 9" barrel at 2186fps MV. Quite impressive!!

EDT: Oh, just found something else, The 110 black & green tips are FB. That heightens the curiosity!

At the very least this is food for thought!
Have a great day!!!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Savage was trying to do the 300 BLK 1 in 10 twist 20" barrel which won't work with factory subs because they will keyhole due to not being stabilized, plus the extra barrel length may make some ammo go trans-sonic.  According to Savage's website there is no option for 6.8 either.

Curious;
Explain to me how a 7.62(AKA .30 cal) bullet out of a 300 can have better ballistics than the same 7.62(AKA .30 cal) bullet fired from a 7.62x39 with a slower muzzle velocity?
Both cartridges being similar in size, (So, we're not comparing it to a 308 or 30-06.)

Also, curious is in the pic is that the 100yrd bare gel results in 19.7", but, the 300yrd is 20.5"? Also, bare gel is 20.5 & heavy clothes is 21.1 with perfect petal opening (I have heard of HP pistol bullet being clogged with clothing & not opening penetrating deeper. [IIRC a FBI Report])....Very strange?

Not insinuating anything, just my findings of discrepancies in an analysis of the pic & data. I am sure they can easily be explained away. Thermodynamics maybe?
Something minute but, interesting as s side note: Those curled petals look like an inverted NHRA drag chute. Should make an interesting terminal ballistic study of the 'Impulse' between the entrance & exit (if one exist).

FWIW-
1. A: The 6.8 can kill small to medium size Elk & Caribou out to 300yards. Plus, some of the 85gr 6.8 has a very fast (around 3050+fps out of a 16") & good frangible pelt protecting loads for varmints.  Not sure about the 300?
2. Those pistol mentioned, IIRC Mr. Silvers said they were 2" barrels or it could just be the .44mag that is bandied about? Also, the pistol bullets are heavier bullets.(which have more Force/Momentum/inertia)
3. Concerning the 6.8 110gr 16" barrel factory loads. I request you please use 2700fps/1780 ft-lbs. Also, concerning the 6.8 SPC 85gr factory load use 3050fps/1708ft-lbs.

EDT: Oh, just found something else, The 110 black & green tips are FB. That heightens the curiosity!

Have a great day!!!!

First, the 7.62x39 is not supposed to use .308 diameter bullets, rather it uses .310 to .312 bullets.  The 300 AAC Blackout exclusively uses .308 diameter bullets unless using cast lead.

If you don't understand what a ballistic coefficient is, please look it up before reading on.

The Hornady .310 Z-Max 123 grain bullet has a ballistic coefficient of .260, the Sellier & Bellot 123 grain FMJ has a ballistic coefficient of .268.  

The Sierra OTM 125 Grain bullet designed for the 300 BLK has a ballistic coefficient of .310 at speeds under 1600 fps and .330 at speeds from 1600 to 2000, then .338 thereafter.

The Speer 125 TNT has a ballistic coefficient of .326.

The Nosler 125 Ballistic tip has a ballistic coefficient of .366.

The Hornady 110 V-Max has a ballistic coefficient of .290 and can match most speeds of 7.62x39 even when cherry picking manufacturers like Golden Tiger or Lapua and omitting Wolf, Tula, Bear and the most common ammunition for the caliber.

Lastly the quoted 200 fps variance between the 7.62x39 and 300 BLK is not typical of 16" barrel to 16" barrel comparisons with like weight bullets.  It is more likely around 70 -130 fps difference.

I didn't do the ballistics gel tests, but typically bullets penetrate deeper when they go through clothing or other materials first.  This has to do with the bullet not expanding as efficiently due to being clogged, deformed, or coming in at an oblique angle.  The initial reason for these tests is because LEO's discovered hollow points going through barriers or heavy clothes would not expand and dump their kinetic energy into the target resulting in potential over-penetration and collateral damage to innocent bystanders, along with a perp that doesn't go down.  

If anyone is  truly "curious" about the numbers  that have been posted by Freedom Group and the independent ballistic gel company Brass Fetcher (there seems to be an ongoing insinuation here that they are falsified), then please run your own tests and post them because the more information we have on the 300 BLK, the better!  If you do discredit them with actual research rather than supposition, then we would all be interested in seeing it!
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 8:31:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Curious;

FWIW-

Have a great day!!!!

First, the 7.62x39 is not supposed to use .308 diameter bullets, rather it uses .310 to .312 bullets.  The 300 AAC Blackout exclusively uses .308 diameter bullets unless using cast lead.

If you don't understand what a ballistic coefficient is, please look it up before reading on.

The Hornady .310 Z-Max 123 grain bullet has a ballistic coefficient of .260, the Sellier & Bellot 123 grain FMJ has a ballistic coefficient of .268.  

The Sierra OTM 125 Grain bullet designed for the 300 BLK has a ballistic coefficient of .310 at speeds under 1600 fps and .330 at speeds from 1600 to 2000, then .338 thereafter.

The Hornady 110 V-Max has a ballistic coefficient of .290 and can match most speeds of 7.62x39 even when cherry picking manufacturers like Golden Tiger or Lapua and omitting Wolf, Tula, Bear and the most common ammunition for the caliber.

Lastly the quoted 200 fps variance between the 7.62x39 and 300 BLK is not typical of 16" barrel to 16" barrel comparisons with like weight bullets.  It is more likely around 70 -130 fps difference.

I didn't do the ballistics gel tests, but typically bullets penetrate deeper when they go through clothing or other materials first.  This has to do with the bullet not expanding as efficiently due to being clogged, deformed, or coming in at an oblique angle.  The initial reason for these tests is because LEO's discovered hollow points going through barriers or heavy clothes would not expand and dump their kinetic energy into the target resulting in potential over-penetration and collateral damage to innocent bystanders, along with a perp that doesn't go down.  

If anyone is  truly "curious" about the numbers  that have been posted by Freedom Group and the independent ballistic gel company Brass Fetcher (there seems to be an ongoing insinuation here that they are falsified), then please run your own tests and post them because the more information we have on the 300 BLK, the better!  If you do discredit them with actual research rather than supposition, then we would all be interested in seeing it!

How fast is factory 125gr out of a 16" 300BLK?
I found it-according to Silvers––"The 125 Match ammo has a 0.320 BC, and is typically at 2230 fps from a 16 inch barrel. This is currently the most likely military ammo".
2230fps.
Wolf and Win  hit 2450fps so actually the 7.62x39 is 220 fps faster

Link Posted: 5/1/2012 9:41:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Out of a 24" barrel.

Little omissions like this are what I am referring to when I say that the fanboys spew misinformation to intentionally mislead people.  

I have personally chronographed multiple AK's with 16.5" barrels and got averages of 2,300-2,370 fps with Wolf, Bear and Tula ammo.  Meanwhile, I can get to 2,300 fps consistently with my Speer 125 TNT loads with H110 or MP300 powders without getting pressure signs and loading to SAAMI spec.
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Out of a 24" barrel.

Little omissions like this are what I am referring to when I say that the fanboys spew misinformation to intentionally mislead people.  

I have personally chronographed multiple AK's with 16.5" barrels and got averages of 2,300-2,370 fps with Wolf, Bear and Tula ammo.  Meanwhile, I can get to 2,300 fps consistently with my Speer 125 TNT loads with H110 or MP300 powders without getting pressure signs and loading to SAAMI spec.

Out of a 16" barrel for both the 300 and 7.62x39 in a AR15 since we are on a AR15 forum

We're talking factory VS factory here. If you want to compare reload VS reload we can do that too. But don't try to say you can get 2300 with reloads and then say the AK factory ammo only produces bla bla.
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Out of a 24" barrel.

Out of a 16" barrel for both the 300 and 7.62x39 in a AR15 since we are on a AR15 forum

We're talking factory VS factory here. If you want to compare reload VS reload we can do that too. But don't try to say you can get 2300 with reloads and then say the AK factory ammo only produces bla bla.

I don't own an AR15 in 7.62x39, so I can't post chrony numbers from that so I am citing facts from my personal experience and comparing numbers from the same range, altitude and conditions on the same equipment.  I also don't have any of the 125 Matchking factory loads to compare to so I posted what I had in hand at the time.  

You are quoting 220 fps faster out of a test barrel that is 8" longer than another and trying to mislead people intentionally.  A bolt action with a 24" barrel is not an AR15!

Link Posted: 5/1/2012 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Curious;

FWIW-

Have a great day!!!!

Oh, OK, Hum, .310-.312,..... I'll be dern! Learn something new everyday.
Yes, I have learned about BC. G1-7
Yes, I read the FBI report about the pistol bullets. As stated above. I guess I missed that.
I was just analyzing the data that has been presented to me.  A simple analysis. That's all. I'll have to check out brassfetcher's data.
EDT: I did. Interesting...Very interesting.
Have a good day!
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 2:38:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Out of a 24" barrel.

I don't own an AR15 in 7.62x39, so I can't post chrony numbers from that so I am citing facts from my personal experience and comparing numbers from the same range, altitude and conditions on the same equipment.  I also don't have any of the 125 Matchking factory loads to compare to so I posted what I had in hand at the time.  

You are quoting 220 fps faster out of a test barrel that is 8" longer than another and trying to mislead people intentionally.  A bolt action with a 24" barrel is not an AR15!

READ the post above again.  Silvers himself said 2230 out of a 16" barrel.  I have seen 2450fps from Wolf and Winchester 123gr factory 7.62x39 ammo from 16" barrels I did not quote or say anything about a 24" barrel you did.  Remingtons 7.62x39 123gr ammo only hits 2350 from a 16" barrel.

Link Posted: 5/1/2012 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#11]
The numbers associated with 7.62x39 are from a 16.25"  barrel.
The loads I chronographed from all of my AKM rifles were in that ballpark, give or take 25fps.

Link Posted: 5/2/2012 6:53:45 AM EDT
[#12]
For all intents and purposes, factory 7.62x39 = .300blk.

The 7.62x39 is more popular (sks, ak etc..) and way cheaper.

The .300 blk uses .308 reloading projos and can be used more easily to load subsonics.

The .300 and 7.62x39 are on a level BELOW the 6.8 and 6.5 Grendel IMO.  Totally different.  We're talking 123gr. bullets w/ .3 something BC's at 2300-2400fps vs. 123gr bullets with .4-.5 something BC's at 2450-2550fps (.300blk vs. 6.5G).  Within the first 100yd sure they're close, but after that the 6.5 and 6.8 pull away.  Way away.
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The .300 blk uses .308 reloading projos and can be used more easily to load subsonics.

The .300 and 7.62x39 are on a level BELOW the 6.8 and 6.5 Grendel IMO.  Totally different.  We're talking 123gr. bullets w/ .3 something BC's at 2300-2400fps vs. 123gr bullets with .4-.5 something BC's at 2450-2550fps (.300blk vs. 6.5G).  Within the first 100yd sure they're close, but after that the 6.5 and 6.8 pull away.  Way away.

Well said, my AK fills any .300blk role I would have and is much cheaper. When I need more power or range, I'm going to grab the 6.8 or .308.
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well said, my AK fills any .300blk role I would have and is much cheaper. When I need more power or range, I'm going to grab the 6.8 or .308.

Can the AK cycle a subsonic round? NO. Does the AK have even a 1/4 of the ammo selection the 300BLK has? NO. Is an AK even close to as accurate as the AR? NO. Is the AK cheaper to reload? NO. Is there vast amounts of mil surplus bullets out there for the AK? NO. Does the AK have cheaper hunting rounds than the 300BLK? NO. How can anyone with an IQ over 2 say that the AK can fill any 300BLK role when everyone has shown you that it can't. You just have to keep trolling and providing false information unless of course you can show me an AK that does all those things I just mentioned.

Does the 300BLK fill the role of the 6.8 out to 300 yards and is much cheaper? YES. If you want to go farther use your .308 because the 6.8 is only marginally better at ranges beyond 300 yards than the 300BLK while the .308 is immensely better at those ranges than both.
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If the 300BLK and 7.62X39 are on a level below the 6.8/6.5 then wouldn't that put the 6.8/6.5 on a level way below a .308, 7mm, 30.06, 300 win mag, 300 savage, 338 or even the 50BMG? All have better BC and a lot more range and power than the 6.8 or 6.5.

The question is why do you need to pay a lot more for the 6.8 or 6.5 to get a little extra range when the 300BLK will do anything that either can do inside of 300 yards without the need to buy non standard bolts, non standard magazines and has much cheaper ammo to shoot? If you want to go farther than that get an AR .308 it also uses non standard mags and nonstandard bolts but goes a lot further and hits a lot harder than the 6.5 or 6.8.
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Nevermind!

Link Posted: 5/2/2012 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the 300BLK and 7.62X39 are on a level below the 6.8/6.5 then wouldn't that put the 6.8/6.5 on a level way below a .308, 7mm, 30.06, 300 win mag, 300 savage, 338 or even the 50BMG? All have better BC and a lot more range and power than the 6.8 or 6.5.

The question is why do you need to pay a lot more for the 6.8 or 6.5 to get a little extra range when the 300BLK will do anything that either can do inside of 300 yards without the need to buy non standard bolts, non standard magazines and has much cheaper ammo to shoot? If you want to go farther than that get an AR .308 it also uses non standard mags and nonstandard bolts but goes a lot further and hits a lot harder than the 6.5 or 6.8.

Why spend twice as much for .300blk ammo when 7.62X39 will do the same thing much cheaper?

We use 6.8 and 6.5 to get that extra performance.
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can the AK cycle a subsonic round? NO. Does the AK have even a 1/4 of the ammo selection the 300BLK has? NO. Is an AK even close to as accurate as the AR? NO. Is the AK cheaper to reload? NO. Is there vast amounts of mil surplus bullets out there for the AK? NO. Does the AK have cheaper hunting rounds than the 300BLK? NO. How can anyone with an IQ over 2 say that the AK can fill any 300BLK role when everyone has shown you that it can't. You just have to keep trolling and providing false information unless of course you can show me an AK that does all those things I just mentioned.

Does the 300BLK fill the role of the 6.8 out to 300 yards and is much cheaper? YES. If you want to go farther use your .308 because the 6.8 is only marginally better at ranges beyond 300 yards than the 300BLK while the .308 is immensely better at those ranges than both.

There are several AK guys that will jump your arse for those statements. The .300blk is not God's gift to the AR15 community, the Whisper and Fireball were around long ago. I will give the .300blk the ability to run subs quite, other than that, a AK orAR47 upper does the same thing, cheaper.

Call me a hater, troll whatever you would like. Check the ballistics of each and get back to me. Accuracy is going to depend on the build, you can't compare a over priced AAC upper to a $450 WASR AK.

You don't see me calling names due to you not liking the 6.8 or 6.5, both of which are proven to have better/more preformance. I post facts that are proven.

Here is some numbers from a Federal/American Eagle 7.62X39 124gr FMJ, copied off the site:

Velocity:  2350fps/muzzle     2078fps/100yds      1824fps/200yds     1595fps/300yds    1392fps/400yds    1224fps/500yds
Energy:   1520ft lbs/muzzle   1189ft lbs/100yds    916ft lbs/200yds    701ft lbs/300yds    533ft lbs/400yds   412ft lbs/500yds

You can run drop tables on their 124gr FMJ also, very close to the .300blk.

I emailed Wolf for their numbers but I imagine they won't be far off. So with those numbers, tell me how the .300blk offers more than a 7.62X39 at over twice the price??
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 11:56:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The .308, 7mm, .30-06, .300 win mag, .300 savage, .338, and .50bmg don't fit in (semi-auto) AR-15 platforms.  That is the comparrison, is it not? Intermediate rounds that fit in the AR-15.

Non-standard bolt means nothing to me.  When I buy the barrel, the bolt comes with it.  As far as buying spares, they're about the same price, and IIRC, the AA 6.5 bolts are made of 'better' steel (I don't make that claim, just what I've heard).  Magazines are about the same price.  I don't buy enough for a $3/ea. price difference to set me in the poor house, and I don't need magpul polymer to survive at the range.

I DO, however, shoot past 300yd just about every time I go to "the range" –– Nevada desert.  

I pay $9 per 20 rounds to reload match-grade ammo.  I pay $13/20 for loaded PPU ammo, that shoots just over MOA.  Looks to be about the same as what you're paying for 300BLK ammo.  I also have steel cased stuff "in the pipeline" (Who knows when we'll see it, though...).

So I pay a little more for my setup, and I pay about the same for ammo, and I can tag steel at 1000yd, kill an elk at 400yd, deer at 500+, and deliver more energy on whatever target at all ranges than the 300blk does...  Yes I tend to think the 6.5G is a step above the .300blk.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 1:28:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are several AK guys that will jump your arse for those statements.

Why? What did I say that is untrue?

The .300blk is not God's gift to the AR15 community, the Whisper and Fireball were around long ago. I will give the .300blk the ability to run subs quite, other than that, a AK orAR47 upper does the same thing, cheaper.

Actually it doesn't do the the same thing. It is not as accurate, it doesn't have cheap hunting ammo, most people won't use it for hunting because of its poor accuracy and high priced ammo. If you want a hunting gun then the AK isn't the same and if you want a gun capable of shooting subs and supers with a change of a magazine then it isn't the same so stop saying the AK is the same as the 300BLK only cheaper.

Call me a hater, troll whatever you would like.

I'm sorry I must have you mistaken for the troll that gets on every thread in at least 4 different forums that has anything to do with the 300BLK and tries to put down the 300BLK, spread misinformation, used to call it names like the 300WTF, tries to sell the 6.8 even though no one asked. If your not that troll/hater I am sorry.

Check the ballistics of each and get back to me.

I don't know why your having me check the ballistics I already know this and haven't ever disputed it.

Accuracy is going to depend on the build, you can't compare a over priced AAC upper to a $450 WASR AK.

I am not comparing the accuracy you are when you said "my AK can fill any 300BLK role". If that is not true why did you post it?

You don't see me calling names due to you not liking the 6.8 or 6.5, both of which are proven to have better/more preformance. I post facts that are proven.

You contradict yourself in the same post. You call the AAC upper over priced even though there are 6.8 upper that cost the same then you say you don't call the 300BLK names. You also used to call it the 300WTF until the mods slapped you down and kicked you for spreading confusing misinformation. Just like your trying to do now.

Here is some numbers from a Federal/American Eagle 7.62X39 124gr FMJ, copied off the site:

Velocity:  2350fps/muzzle     2078fps/100yds      1824fps/200yds     1595fps/300yds    1392fps/400yds    1224fps/500yds
Energy:   1520ft lbs/muzzle   1189ft lbs/100yds    916ft lbs/200yds    701ft lbs/300yds    533ft lbs/400yds   412ft lbs/500yds

I don't know why you are posting the tables above just about everyone already agrees the 300BLK and 7.62X39 are similar in their ballistics.

I emailed Wolf for their numbers but I imagine they won't be far off. So with those numbers, tell me how the .300blk offers more than a 7.62X39 at over twice the price??

You said the AK can "fill any 300BLK role" and you are wrong and that is why you are not posting facts and just spewing misinformation!

The AK can't cycle subsonics, the AK is less accurate, The AK has a smaller ammo selection, the AK has more expensive hunting rounds, the AK doesn't have a lot of cheap mil surplus bullets, the AK Isn't cheaper to reload. So how does the AK "fill any 300BLK role" When it can't even fill the ones I just though of?[/quote]
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 1:53:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The .308, 7mm, .30-06, .300 win mag, .300 savage, .338, and .50bmg don't fit in (semi-auto) AR-15 platforms.  That is the comparrison, is it not? Intermediate rounds that fit in the AR-15.

Non-standard bolt means nothing to me.  When I buy the barrel, the bolt comes with it.  As far as buying spares, they're about the same price, and IIRC, the AA 6.5 bolts are made of 'better' steel (I don't make that claim, just what I've heard).  Magazines are about the same price.  I don't buy enough for a $3/ea. price difference to set me in the poor house, and I don't need magpul polymer to survive at the range.

I DO, however, shoot past 300yd just about every time I go to "the range" –– Nevada desert.  

I pay $9 per 20 rounds to reload match-grade ammo.  I pay $13/20 for loaded PPU ammo, that shoots just over MOA.  Looks to be about the same as what you're paying for 300BLK ammo.  I also have steel cased stuff "in the pipeline" (Who knows when we'll see it, though...).

So I pay a little more for my setup, and I pay about the same for ammo, and I can tag steel at 1000yd, kill an elk at 400yd, deer at 500+, and deliver more energy on whatever target at all ranges than the 300blk does...  Yes I tend to think the 6.5G is a step above the .300blk.

Never said the 6.5 doesn't have more range or energy than the 300BLK. What I was getting at is if you base your "level" of rifle on BC there are a lot of others out there which are much higher and cheaper to shoot.

I tend to think the .308 is a step above the 6.8 and 6.5G since we are basing it on BC, energy and range. I also think my 50BMG is a giant leap above the 300BLK, 6.8, 6.5G and .308 win based on the criteria you set.

Does this make my AR 15 lower mounted 50BMG the ultimate rifle because it can take deer at over 1300 meters, deliver more energy on target than any other shoulder mounted rifle and can tag steal at over a mile and half? I think so!

I also think that the 300LK, 6.5G, 6.8 and .308 have a place in the armory, range, home protection, hunting, duty weapon, streets or battlefield and that saying just because your rifle has more range or energy doesn't make that rifle a step above. It just makes it a different tool.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never said the 6.5 doesn't have more range or energy than the 300BLK. What I was getting at is if you base your "level" of rifle on BC there are a lot of others out there which are much higher and cheaper to shoot.

I tend to think the .308 is a step above the 6.8 and 6.5G since we are basing it on BC, energy and range. I also think my 50BMG is a giant leap above the 300BLK, 6.8, 6.5G and .308 win based on the criteria you set.

Does this make my AR 15 lower mounted 50BMG the ultimate rifle because it can take deer at over 1300 meters, deliver more energy on target than any other shoulder mounted rifle and can tag steal at over a mile and half? I think so!

I also think that the 300LK, 6.5G, 6.8 and .308 have a place in the armory, range, home protection, hunting, duty weapon, streets or battlefield and that saying just because your rifle has more range or energy doesn't make that rifle a step above. It just makes it a different tool.

That's why I said semi-automatic function and intermediate calibers...

The 6.5 and 6.8 offer more energy, and better ballistics throughout their entire trajectory than the .300BLK.  So they are a step above the .300BLK, and the 7.62x39mm.

I have the same gun (more or less), I pay the same for ammo (more or less), and I have greater energy on target at close range, and the ability to engage well beyond 800yd.  Up close, the energy difference is probably negligible, however, beyond 100-200yd, that high BC and more muzzle velocity win out, making the 6.5G/6.8spc more versatile than the .300blk.  The ONLY thing in terms of versatility that the .300blk has over the others is reliable sub-sonic function, but that's only really important for the relatively few who own suppressors, and even for them, it's just a "cool" factor IMO, unless you want to count how much money you save on a pair of ear plugs.

The ballistic performance is what most people judge calibers on, is it not?  As I said, bolts come with barrels, and magazine prices aren't THAT different.. so that all being relatively equal, we look at ballistic performance (energy, velocity, trajectory, accuracy).  And that's where the 6.5/6.8 shine over the .300blk and 7.62x39mm.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are several AK guys that will jump your arse for those statements.

Why? What did I say that is untrue?

The .300blk is not God's gift to the AR15 community, the Whisper and Fireball were around long ago. I will give the .300blk the ability to run subs quite, other than that, a AK orAR47 upper does the same thing, cheaper.

Actually it doesn't do the the same thing. It is not as accurate, it doesn't have cheap hunting ammo, most people won't use it for hunting because of its poor accuracy and high priced ammo. If you want a hunting gun then the AK isn't the same and if you want a gun capable of shooting subs and supers with a change of a magazine then it isn't the same so stop saying the AK is the same as the 300BLK only cheaper.

Call me a hater, troll whatever you would like.

I'm sorry I must have you mistaken for the troll that gets on every thread in at least 4 different forums that has anything to do with the 300BLK and tries to put down the 300BLK, spread misinformation, used to call it names like the 300WTF, tries to sell the 6.8 even though no one asked. If your not that troll/hater I am sorry.

Check the ballistics of each and get back to me.

I don't know why your having me check the ballistics I already know this and haven't ever disputed it.

Accuracy is going to depend on the build, you can't compare a over priced AAC upper to a $450 WASR AK.

I am not comparing the accuracy you are when you said "my AK can fill any 300BLK role". If that is not true why did you post it?

You contradict yourself in the same post. You call the AAC upper over priced even though there are 6.8 upper that cost the same then you say you don't call the 300BLK names. You also used to call it the 300WTF until the mods slapped you down and kicked you for spreading confusing misinformation. Just like your trying to do now.

I don't know why you are posting the tables above just about everyone already agrees the 300BLK and 7.62X39 are similar in their ballistics.

You said the AK can "fill any 300BLK role" and you are wrong and that is why you are not posting facts and just spewing misinformation!

The AK can't cycle subsonics, the AK is less accurate, The AK has a smaller ammo selection, the AK has more expensive hunting rounds, the AK doesn't have a lot of cheap mil surplus bullets, the AK Isn't cheaper to reload. So how does the AK "fill any 300BLK role" When it can't even fill the ones I just though of?
[/quote]

The AK can do anything a .300blk can do, less the subs. I just posted the information to prove you wrong and you still are saying no.

If you don't think a AK is accurate, you have not been around them much. A AK will hit anything out to 300yds the .300blk will, they have near the same ballistics and trajectory. The AK is cheaper, bar none, on par with a 5.56 and in most cases cheaper. 120ish grain soft point hunting bullets are cheap also. Post a thread in the AK section asking all of your doubts if you are willing....
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 4:42:28 PM EDT
[#24]
$5.39 a box @ Midway. I call that cheap. I guess some call that expensive?
Plus, Who needs 1/4" groups when your blasting./plinking or just burning ammo?
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The ONLY thing in terms of versatility that the .300blk has over the others is reliable sub-sonic function, but that's only really important for the relatively few who own suppressors, and even for them, it's just a "cool" factor IMO, unless you want to count how much money you save on a pair of ear plugs.

The ballistic performance is what most people judge calibers on, is it not?  As I said, bolts come with barrels, and magazine prices aren't THAT different.. so that all being relatively equal, we look at ballistic performance (energy, velocity, trajectory, accuracy).  And that's where the 6.5/6.8 shine over the .300blk and 7.62x39mm.

You've missed the boat on a couple important points:

1)  Large available supply of surplus 30 cal projectiles.  
2)  Large available supply of 223 brass for conversion, or converted surplus brass for very cheap compared to 6.8 or 6.5.

Try reloading the other variants for $.20/rnd.  Try finding range p/u brass, or reloadable surplus brass for a 6.8 or 6.5.  

Some go around and around on this forum stating they can't understand the appeal of 300BLK.  They must either not reload, or not shoot very much (or maybe they are just wealthy).  For reloaders who like to shoot the appeal of the 300BLK should be obvious.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The ONLY thing in terms of versatility that the .300blk has over the others is reliable sub-sonic function, but that's only really important for the relatively few who own suppressors, and even for them, it's just a "cool" factor IMO, unless you want to count how much money you save on a pair of ear plugs.

2)  Large available supply of 223 brass for conversion, or converted surplus brass for very cheap compared to 6.8 or 6.5.

Try reloading the other variants for $.20/rnd.  Try finding range p/u brass, or reloadable surplus brass for a 6.8 or 6.5.  

Some go around and around on this forum stating they can't understand the appeal of 300BLK.  They must either not reload, or not shoot very much (or maybe they are just wealthy).  For reloaders who like to shoot the appeal of the 300BLK should be obvious.

I reload 6.8 and quit counting how many times I could reload one case at 20. That case has paid for itself 20+ times and I got a boat load of 6.8 brass. How many loads can you get from a cut down 5.56 case for the .300blk?

I'm not wealthy and when I want to blast, nothing is cheaper than my 5.56 or AK. Cutting down a 5.56 case to form it into a 300blk doesn't appeal to me. Me not being wealthly means I don't have a lathe either. I rather resize/trim 5.56, 6.8 or .308 brass, load a bullet and be done with it. SInce time is usually not on my side, the less steps, the better. It takes very little effort to get bug hole groups from my 6.8, not to mention the power it is packing.

Link Posted: 5/3/2012 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I reload 6.8 and quit counting how many times I could reload one case at 20. That case has paid for itself 20+ times and I got a boat load of 6.8 brass. How many loads can you get from a cut down 5.56 case for the .300blk?

WOW, 20+! I bet you anneal.

Yeah, the .30 has allot of bullets. But, how many open at blk velocities?(semi-rhetorical)
There are currently around 36+/- bullets that can be loaded for the 6.8. New ones coming out. The question is how many different bullets do you need?  

I can't figure out how a precision reloader would not appreciate the 6.8 & 6.5.
110gr at 2800+fps for the 6.8 or loading a 600yrd record breaker.

Oh well, as my grampa(R.I.P) used to say "To each his own", said the man who kissed the cow.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I honestly don't know, and I don't give a rats behind because I have a large box of 223 brass that I picked up for FREE, so my blasting brass cost me exactly $0.  One thing that is certainly true is that 300BLK can cycle an AR at substantially lower chamber pressure than 6.8 which gives 300BLK an advantage in brass life.

Cutting down a 5.56 case to form it into a 300blk doesn't appeal to me.

Good for You.  Others find the exercise worthwhile.

Me not being wealthly means I don't have a lathe either.

I process 300BLK brass with a $50 harbor freight chop saw and standard Possum Hollow trimmer that costs $40 with the power adapter.

Link Posted: 5/3/2012 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I honestly don't know, and I don't give a rats behind because I have a large box of 223 brass that I picked up for FREE, so my blasting brass cost me exactly $0.  One thing that is certainly true is that 300BLK can cycle an AR at substantially lower chamber pressure than 6.8 which gives 300BLK an advantage in brass life.

I process 300BLK brass with a $50 harbor freight chop saw and standard Possum Hollow trimmer that costs $40 with the power adapter.

So after all of that, how many loads can you get from one case?
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have to tip my hat to you sir.  You are an amazing troll.  No way this thread goes 10 pages without you fanning the flames.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have to tip my hat to you sir.  You are an amazing troll.  No way this thread goes 10 pages without you fanning the flames.

Not trolling, I was called out for that for posting misinformation and this guy posts:

Quoted:

He doesn't know how many loads he can get from one case but claims the 300blk has the advantage with brass life? While 6.8 reloaders know the brass lasts a long time and is a proven fact.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The 6.8 for me goes hand in hand with SSA. Damn can they make a good piece of brass. It's good to know that my brass will last a long time, as long as I don't loose it. I have a life time supply of SSA brass if they make it to 10 loadings.

300 BLK brass, I convert LC 5.56 for my loads. Currently you can buy online for ~ $55/1k once fired. If I'm loading 110 Vmax to 2450 plus fps, 8 firings max. Some might make it to 10 times, but with me having many buckets of once fired, I'll just make more. When I was shoot 10 cents each 175 gr OTMs , 10 times reloading was easy.   My converted LC outlasted Rem. factory 300 BLK brass.

I think all the AR15 variants rock, not a bad apple in there. After looking at the ballistics of the Lapua 123 gr x39 load, the 6.8 only has a slight edge. Lol

I'm also shocked the 6.5g hasn't seen more love. If the g had Barnes bullets made for its velocity envelope( like the 6.8, and 300 BLK have) I think more would run that. The g carries it energy well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#33]
BEST intermediate round for what?  If I was buying for the following uses
Combat..5.56 until  the 7x46 or 6.8 ammo is cheaper
Hunting  deer and hogs 6.8
Target/match  6mm BR. 6mmAR, 6.5/264
Varmint 5.56, 20 Practical, 6x45-too many good ones to choose from
bigbore 458 socom
subs 300 whisper/blk
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 3:49:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He doesn't know how many loads he can get from one case but claims the 300blk has the advantage with brass life? While 6.8 reloaders know the brass lasts a long time and is a proven fact.

Lower peak pressure is easier on brass.  That is 100% FACT.  If you don't understand that there's no point in having a discussion.

At the end of the day my brass life is a non-issue.  If I pick it up for free sitting on the ground if I get 2 loads, or 10 loads, or lose it in the grass at the range, it doesn't make too much difference.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 6:38:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lower peak pressure is easier on brass.  That is 100% FACT.  If you don't understand that there's no point in having a discussion.

At the end of the day my brass life is a non-issue.  If I pick it up for free sitting on the ground if I get 2 loads, or 10 loads, or lose it in the grass at the range, it doesn't make too much difference.

Isn't it good having 346ci back on the boards.......

Of course, I am kidding.

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 7:38:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask the .458 SOCOM shooters about low peak pressure and brass life.  I have brass I think I could use forever....

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#37]
At the end of the day the most important think is having spent enough time to put the bullet exactly where you wanted to place it. I once got in trouble for shooting the push pins that held the target to the backing because the range master told me that I couldn't do it. Right now I'm in the process of building a 6.8 spec II for shooting deer. Do I need another way to harvest a deer––ask my wife and maybe not––-if I can generate interest from one of the kids (the ones that play videos in the basement) than YES. I think its important to be able to take interest in what the guy next to you @ the range and if you can both make each other shoot better whatever the venue (hunting or shooting wise) the better.  Understand why the guy next to can make it work and you struggle. Thanks for sharing your views
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not trolling, I was called out for that for posting misinformation and this guy posts:

Quoted:

FWIW, I wonder how many forums a rsilvers is signed up & posted on?

Name calling to some is a sign of defeat.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While you are correct to a degree, the Hornady and SSA 6.8 brass is good stuff. If one could duplicate their process and sell cheaper, they could sit back and retire with the profit.

Not much to argue about free range brass.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

FWIW, I wonder how many forums a rsilvers is signed up & posted on?

Name calling to some is a sign of defeat.

A lot more than me, lol. I'd like to see him post here, some of these guys could use the help with Robert's 300blk expertise.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm also shocked the 6.5g hasn't seen more love. If the g had Barnes bullets made for its velocity envelope( like the 6.8, and 300 BLK have) I think more would run that. The g carries it energy well.

I totally agree.  The Grendel seems to equal or better the 6.8 in every performance category, but the Goldilocks bullet of TSX of every caliber isn't optimized and available in Grendel for some reason.  Trying to have a do-it-all caliber in the AR platform seems like a futile endeavor.  A pairing of 300BLK and 6.5G uppers would cover a huge spectrum of needs in a non-NFA AR15 platform.  A 14.5 pinned 300BLK with red-dot optic would work great for a home defense rifle with considerably lower blast/noise and full capacity reliable 5.56 mags.  A 6.5G in 16-18" with a magnified optic would cover almost everything else... small to medium game hunting (if proper TSX projectiles were available) and accurate long distance paper punching.  I wouldn't condone its distance potential for hunting or "self-defense", but it's an option that bests all the other calibers by a large margin if the need demands it.  If you want to plink or train, a .22 upper or stand-alone like the S&W 15-22 fills that role more than adequately with no worries about cost.

My only lure to the 6.8 now is the higher availability of TSX ammo and greater availability of hardware than 6.5G.  The caveat to that is the available store bought 6.8 seems to all be the neutered 6.8 SAAMI round that no one ever quotes specs on or even admits to existing on these forums.  Store bought non SAAMI "Spec-II" is likely never to be available due to obvious liability reasons as there is no standard.

My lingering lure to the 5.56 is the dominating availability of hardware and ammo and use of reliable 5.56 mags.  For good hunting and self defense ammo, the price is in-line with 300BLK/6.8/6.5G and the performance differences speak for them self.  The cheaper ammo for plinking like 55gr FMJ or M855 is in a vastly lower performance class for self-defense or even punching paper beyond 50yds unless 3-6 MOA is acceptable to you.

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#42]
There is plenty of Spec II 6.8 ammo available. SSA , WIlson are the main ones. Both are listed as Tac or Combat loads.

SSA has tactical loads as low as 17.99/20 in stock. The Barnes 95gr and 110gr are also both in stock right now.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=ssa%206.8%20tactical%20loads&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CG8QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ssarmory.com%2F6.8_spc_ammo-2-1-1-2-1.aspx&ei=M6OkT6SpAYTetgey1dnRBA&usg=AFQjCNEWmtugLis4aZcHL8lzBJDenyXjmg&cad=rja
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 1:02:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not wealthy and when I want to blast, nothing is cheaper than my 5.56 or AK. Cutting down a 5.56 case to form it into a 300blk doesn't appeal to me. Me not being wealthly means I don't have a lathe either. I rather resize/trim 5.56, 6.8 or .308 brass, load a bullet and be done with it. SInce time is usually not on my side, the less steps, the better. It takes very little effort to get bug hole groups from my 6.8, not to mention the power it is packing.

20 Reloads and counting. Your primer pockets must be made of titanium. You also must be running massively reduced loads even though all you ever quote for the 6.8 velocities are near or exceeding max.

Now for real numbers from a reloader that doesn't need to fabricate a 20 plus reload capability to try and sell there massively overpriced brass compared to the 300BLK.

I can easily get 8 loads from most of my brass only culling around 3 out of 150 during the supersonic work up phase for my 300BLK. I have had a run of over 10 loads from 100 rounds during the workup phase for my subsonics but I imagine I could get many more from them since the pressure on the case is extremely low and there is almost no reworking the very small neck. I would probably only have to pull them for the primer pockets wearing out.

I didn't have to cut down any .223 myself but I did get a 1000 ready to load pieces of 300BLK brass for under $120 try that with the 6.8.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 1:04:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not trolling!!! Out of all the misinformation and hate you put out on the 300BLK that has to be the biggest whopper yet.

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 6:54:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Recoil737, 15-20 reloads even with fairly hot loads is a common thing with SSA 6.8 brass. I can't comment on the other calibers that they sell since I haven't reloaded with them in anything other than 6.8.

Also, you keep calling some of these loads "HOT" when they aren't. They may be 200fps or so faster than SAAMI, but from a spec II chamber they are actually still at or about 55k psi,. which is the same as SAAMI. For most of us, our hottest loads are close to 60K, which is still at or below 5.56 NATO pressures. I don't think that too many around here would call that hot.

Brass for the 6.8 will get cheaper with Federal entering the market. There is other good news on the ammunition  front in the works with another major player as well. It is too early to comment now though on who it is.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 7:21:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Federal making 6.8, that's good for the 6.8.  SSA 6.8 ammo ROCKS, if Federal comes in cheaper, I'd bet I still buy from SSA. All the ammo I've shot in 6.8 has been great performing stuff.  I hope they can get the velocity up on the 95 TTSX, and I'll buy 110 ABs when they come in stock(good exterior ballistics).

I went 6.8 over the Grendel due to SSAs line up!!!

I have a 264 ARP upper built, I really only want the 6.8 or the 6.5g for the hunting role. The battle begins(not really a battle, I'll get more range time,lol).
100 and 120BTs, 123 slickers, and the 100 TTSX.  The 100 TTSX looks to expand down to 1800 fps, I'm not sure that will get me to 400M. The 95 TTSX is pretty solid past 300M in the 6.8.

Hornadys 123 G load is less than $20 a box,my fingers are crossed it can help me with the wind at 1000M shooting steel.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 7:34:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Recoil737, 15-20 reloads even with fairly hot loads is a common thing with SSA 6.8 brass. I can't comment on the other calibers that they sell since I haven't reloaded with them in anything other than 6.8.

Also, you keep calling some of these loads "HOT" when they aren't. They may be 200fps or so faster than SAAMI, but from a spec II chamber they are actually still at or about 55k psi,. which is the same as SAAMI. For most of us, our hottest loads are close to 60K, which is still at or below 5.56 NATO pressures. I don't think that too many around here would call that hot.

Brass for the 6.8 will get cheaper with Federal entering the market. There is other good news on the ammunition  front in the works with another major player as well. It is too early to comment now though on who it is.

SSA brass is probably the toughest 6.8 brass on the market and can be reloaded 18-20 times even with 2700-2750fps 110gr loads, Hornady brass is a little more consistent,maybe not quite as tough. Remington brass is soft  and uses large primers so the primer pockets get loose so they can not be reloaded  but a few times.
Look at the amount of brass surrounding the small primer pocket on a 6.8 case, that is why they can be reloaded so many times.

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Tula/Federal and possibly winchester are on board to make 6.8 ammo

its only a matter of time now.  Id surely like to see ammo for .50c or less...

id assume we will see the 300blk prices drop as more companies pick it up.  either way its a win win for all of us.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 9:49:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

id assume we will see the 300blk prices drop as more companies pick it up.  either way its a win win for all of us.  

We don't know enough about Winchester yet. They are studying it, and are in contact with some of the members on the forum.

Tula, Federal, Privi, PMC, all coming very soon, 2013, and early 2013 for most. If Winchester doesn't get in ,it will be a huge mistake. Chambering their own rifles, along with their own ammo would be a big sales advantage. Here's the thing. Whatever company resubmits the corrected chamber to SAAMI, and thereby gets to put their own name on it, will win big.

Since it has been adopted so much by the hunting community, a renaming such as .270AR, ( .270 automatic rifle ), would be a good step. Unless it gets adopted in large numbers by the US and NATO, I don't see any benefit with sticking with the metric caliber designation. That would allow the ammo companies to make the ammo with the higher velocities without fear of any dumbass running it in the obsolete ( mistake ) chamber, even thought all of the boxes that are out now are clearly listed Tac/Combat- for Spec II only.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We don't know enough about Winchester yet. They are studying it, and are in contact with some of the members on the forum.

Tula, Federal, Privi, PMC, all coming very soon, 2013, and early 2013 for most. If Winchester doesn't get in ,it will be a huge mistake. Chambering their own rifles, along with their own ammo would be a big sales advantage. Here's the thing. Whatever company resubmits the corrected chamber to SAAMI, and thereby gets to put their own name on it, will win big.

Since it has been adopted so much by the hunting community, a renaming such as .270AR, ( .270 automatic rifle ), would be a good
step. Unless it gets adopted in large numbers by the US and NATO, I don't see any benefit with sticking with the metric caliber designation. That would allow the ammo companies to make the ammo with the higher velocities without fear of any dumbass running it in the obsolete ( mistake ) chamber, even thought all of the boxes that are out now are clearly listed Tac/Combat- for Spec II only.

Agreed.

I have a .270wsm remington 700.  Love it, but it just sits since I've bought the 6.8....

Page / 7
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top