Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/28/2012 9:10:29 AM EDT
Only finding a couple sources for 7mm-08 barrels, Accuracy Systems and BHW, both seem to be very good quality. Can anyone offer any other sources? Rifle is going to be for hunting mostly, some bench shooting for fun. Because of looooong lead times, I'd like to find something as soon as possible. Wish list says 1moa or better...
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 10:49:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe Montana Rifleman chambers in 7mm-08 as well.  I've been looking at the BHW barrels though and if I end up going the 7mm-08 route I will be getting one from them, don't think you could go wrong with one of their barrels
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Get a Contour #7 Match 7mm blank from Brownell's.      Shilen 7mm Match Blank

Get an AR10 barrel extension, and bolt carrier group.    TM Chrome .308 BCG

Send your parts to a reputable smith who knows big boy AR platforms, and have it done the way you specify.

I can't recommend GA Precision enough, but I've heard good things about Accuracy Systems and Accuracy Speaks as well.

I've used GA Precision on two AR10 projects from the ground up, and both are reliable, super-accurate guns that are plain fun to shoot.  Jeff does their self-loader work, and also shoots/competes, and provides attention to detail I would have never thought of myself.
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Any other input on this? Any info is most welcome. I'm not sure I would know enough about what to ask for if building from a blank, but it is a possibility.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 5:49:55 AM EDT
[#4]
The gunsmith will set the barrel and barrel extension up properly for the correct headspace with the provided bolt, then drill the gas port.  

If you by your own blank, barrel extension, and bolt, you can keep costs down.  As long as a reputable smith does the work, it will be good-to-go.

Jeff at GA Precision knows how to build reliable, highly-accurate auto-loaders, and cutting the chamber with a reamer that is more appropriate for an auto-loader is half the battle.  Many production guns have very tight chambers that work fine with factory ammo, but even full-length re-sized cases don't run well through them.

I've had that happen with the DPMS LR-308.  With the .308 Jeff built me, it eats everything it's fed and shoots .5 MOA for 5 rounds with the 155gr Lapua Scenars.

You can also ask for a chamber to be cut for a specific bullet that you plan to shoot if you're looking for better accuracy.

Also, even using the DPMS receivers, I would get a Tactical Machining or other billet lower with better ergonomics than a DPMS, and more importantly, I would suggest getting an Armalite AR10 barrel nut and Armalite bolt carrier group, since they use a spring-loaded firing pin and balanced lug arrangement on their bolts.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Just got an email from Shane at Montana Rifleman, saying he had some over runs of 20" chro-mo 1-10 barrels in 7mm08 available, DPMS platform. With extension, pin,  and gas port, $98.14 plus shipping. Would be a couple months to have the extension installed because of work load, but this is a heckofadeal.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Get a Contour #7 Match 7mm blank from Brownell's.      Shilen 7mm Match Blank

Get an AR10 barrel extension, and bolt carrier group.    TM Chrome .308 BCG

Send your parts to a reputable smith who knows big boy AR platforms, and have it done the way you specify.

I can't recommend GA Precision enough, but I've heard good things about Accuracy Systems and Accuracy Speaks as well.

I've used GA Precision on two AR10 projects from the ground up, and both are reliable, super-accurate guns that are plain fun to shoot.  Jeff does their self-loader work, and also shoots/competes, and provides attention to detail I would have never thought of myself.

+1

Link Posted: 2/2/2012 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just got an email from Shane at Montana Rifleman, saying he had some over runs of 20" chro-mo 1-10 barrels in 7mm08 available, DPMS platform. With extension, pin,  and gas port, $98.14 plus shipping. Would be a couple months to have the extension installed because of work load, but this is a heckofadeal.

Just got through talking to Shane and reserved one of these for my build.  I've heard good things about them so I figure at that price why not try them out!
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just got through talking to Shane and reserved one of these for my build.  I've heard good things about them so I figure at that price why not try them out!

That is an insane deal, even for a beater.  I would still pay for a Douglas or Shilen select match button-rifled pipe, since I have this thing about my relationship with my rifles that makes me very confident in them when they group well.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top