Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/23/2011 9:32:16 PM EDT
I'm thinking about picking one of these up.  Anyone know anything about them?  I know CDNN purchases closeouts, often of guns that weren't wildly successful, so I try and do some research before buying it's it s a non-standard weapon.  I have an Armalite AR-10, and like the fact that these can use more available DPMS/SR-25 pattern mags, as well as cheap PMAGs.  Thinking about swapping my super heavy 20" DD-railed AR-10 for one of these to be a little more lighter and use more available mags.  Any thoughts on pros/cons of this?

I know CMMG is a decent company, i'm more interested in the quality of those included rails than anything, if they are cheapos or decent?

Sorry for the extended pic, i couldn't link the single page

Here is my AR-10 I am thinking about selling to pick up the CMMG for.

Link Posted: 12/24/2011 4:34:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the sass and my daughters boyfriend has the the 16 inch and there both great. they just shot great and look great to.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 7:03:24 AM EDT
[#3]
They look good on paper.  I would like to get my hands on one at the range and see how they shoot.

Thinking about swapping my super heavy 20" DD-railed AR-10 for one of these to be a little more lighter and use more available mags. Any thoughts on pros/cons of this?

The MK-3 may be a step back.  With the new pricing on ArmaLite Gen II mags there is not much difference in price anymore, unless you are buying hundreds of mags.

I have a 21" Noveske and want to add a 16" 7.62 Carbine, would like to stay magazine compatible but it's not a deal breaker.  MK-3 looks sweet.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 8:53:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I might just order one. That is a great price.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it forged or billet; what alloy?
What gas system?
Is the barrel nut (or any other part, FTM) proprietary?
What height receiver is it, what rails other than CMMG will mount up flush?
Will it work with aftermarket FCGs (unconfirmed rumor is geissele dont work)?
What pattern is the barrel extension/bolt?
Is the receiver extension milspec or commercial?
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They look good on paper.  I would like to get my hands on one at the range and see how they shoot.

Thinking about swapping my super heavy 20" DD-railed AR-10 for one of these to be a little more lighter and use more available mags. Any thoughts on pros/cons of this?

The MK-3 may be a step back.  With the new pricing on ArmaLite Gen II mags there is not much difference in price anymore, unless you are buying hundreds of mags.

I have a 21" Noveske and want to add a 16" 7.62 Carbine, would like to stay magazine compatible but it's not a deal breaker.  MK-3 looks sweet.

I have yet to see any cheap AR-10 mags, although I may not be looking in the right place.  I was looking at this because it would be lighter and more handy than my Armalite.  I don't take it shooting often because of how big it is.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
...With the new pricing on ArmaLite Gen II mags there is not much difference in price anymore, unless you are buying hundreds of mags.
What are you basing this statement on? Best I can find AR10 mags are $26-$30; PMAGs are $18.

Link Posted: 12/24/2011 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...With the new pricing on ArmaLite Gen II mags there is not much difference in price anymore, unless you are buying hundreds of mags.
What are you basing this statement on? Best I can find AR10 mags are $26-$30; PMAGs are $18.

So an $8 difference? That is not much.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where are you even finding them at that price?
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Them being AR10 mags? Basic google search
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where are you even finding them at that price?

I have bought (4) 20's on the EE in the last month for $25 each shipping included.  And I have (3) 25 rounders coming for $30 each and (1)  20 for $20 including shipping on the EE.  Sent the MO yesterday.  You have to keep an eye out.

On the CMMG's, they look like really nice rifles. I have already made my investment in Armalite.  If I hadn't I might be seriously looking at these.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 8:19:33 AM EDT
[#12]
This mag price bs is old news.  Yes, ArmaLite mags cost 6-8 bucks more than Pmags and less than KAC or LMT.  What a oem DPMS cost?

From what I have read the MK-3 is forged 7075, has a tall top rail.  I would like to know how they are keeping the price so low.  Almost to good to be true and that scares me.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Other then handrail every thing else seams first rate. I got to say I like my Rock River lar-8 better because I have it set up just the way I wanted it and in time I will set the CMMG to suit me too.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok, I guess i'm a big dummy for not knowing about the mag price changes.  The Armalite has sat in my safe for quite some time and I haven't bought a new mag for it since around 2006, mainly because i've been deployed for about 30 months since then.  I'm glad I have a bunch of fine gentlemen here to kindly set me straight.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 8:22:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ok, I guess i'm a big dummy for not knowing about the mag price changes.  The Armalite has sat in my safe for quite some time and I haven't bought a new mag for it since around 2006, mainly because i've been deployed for about 30 months since then.  I'm glad I have a bunch of fine gentlemen here to kindly set me straight.  

Daemon,

First off thank you for your service Sir !

Second if you do pick one of these CMMG .308's up then please let us know what you think of it, your AR-10 looks pretty sweet too though....

I have been researching the CMMG's and am considering picking one up when my budget allows.

Again thank you and have a great new year!!!

ILB
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 8:24:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Glad your home dude.  This magazine price is harped on all the time and the AR10 owners get a little tried of it.  Things like "ar10 mags are $50 and pmags are $10"

You shouldn't have any trouble finding someone in the AR10 section to split a ten pack of mags with you, even less money  I sold most of my 25 rounders, to tall for the bench or prone and the extra weight sucked.  20 rounders work great for just about all uses.

Link Posted: 12/26/2011 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got both the Ar 10 Armalite and the CMMG is first rate. Both are Quality built guns and everything now days takes a different nag so I don't care.  The CMMG shoots as good as it looks.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 6:52:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've got both the Ar 10 Armalite and the CMMG is first rate. Both are Quality built guns and everything now days takes a different nag so I don't care.  The CMMG shoots as good as it looks.

If the CMMG is as nice as your ArmaLite I think I'll order the 18" WASP model.  Then I can buy cheap Pmags
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I have an 18"WASP model and love it.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top