Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2011 2:16:22 PM EDT
Without hand loading what commercial .308 Win round would you recommend for a 16in barreled semi-auto carbine? Preferably one that still retains good speed and terminal performance out to 300 yards out of the carbine 1/10 twist barrel and will not deform the tip of the round while being loaded up the feed ramp.....Thanks
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Do HPs typically get deformed going up the feedramps?
People always seems to rave about the 168gr FGMM rounds... and they use SMK bullets (168gr HPBT).
The HP on the SMKs is pretty small.

I guess if HPs are out, then a bonded soft point would be the way to go... but the BC on the bonded SP bullets is pretty poor.
Remington Core-Lokt 180gr should have PLENTY of penetration...
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I use plaine ole 150 grain Federal softpoints.  I've never had a problem through many deer, pigs, and coyotes.  They're about 12-13 bucks a box at Wal-Mart.  They feed great, shoot accurately, and kill cleanly.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 3:16:37 PM EDT
[#4]
[ link to ammo ]

feeds well in ar, inexpensive, accurate (amazing considering cost), good hot load (2800+ fps), blows holes in deer...
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 4:04:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I like Sierra Gamekings.  I think Federals come with these.  I cannot confirm their performance in an autoloader, however.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Win Ballistic silver tip 168gr or 150 gr

dropped my Bou, at just over 200 yards, out of my home built Mega.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I use plaine ole 150 grain Federal softpoints.  I've never had a problem through many deer, pigs, and coyotes.  They're about 12-13 bucks a box at Wal-Mart.  They feed great, shoot accurately, and kill cleanly.

I use these and the 180 gr.   Out to 150 yards, they shoot to within a couple inches of the same POI out of a 16" RRA.  I've grouped them inside 6" at 250 yards, but have not worked any further out.  

However, they're more like $17-19 a box around here - I wonder if it would be worth trying to get a case shipped up from Texas...

The Winchester Super-X have the same effect.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Win Ballistic silver tip 168gr or 150 gr

dropped my Bou, at just over 200 yards, out of my home built Mega.

My go to hunting ammo as well for both my DPMS AP4 7.62 and my M1A, outstanding performance.

Link Posted: 10/20/2011 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I really like the barnes ttsx 168 grain rounds.  they are very accurate out of my ap4 and always expand....at least the ones i have recoverd which are not many. most are complete pass throughs which i like.  My next favorite round is the 168 winchester ballistic silver tip.  not quite as accurate out of my rifle but still 1to 1.5 moa at 100yds and they always put em' down quick.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 5:35:22 AM EDT
[#10]
SMK 175 otbt works well for me out of my DPMS SASS & Remington 700 LTR
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 7:51:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks all for the advice......Heading to the range in a few and will report what my findings are with what was recommended.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 3:38:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

More like aroun 18.00

Link Posted: 10/26/2011 7:18:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Hornady 150 gr. SST
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#14]
SSTs aren't noted for holding together real well.  The above mentioned Accubond load from Nosler is fantastic.  

I friend shot a buck last weekend with her 25/06 and the heavy for caliber SST she shot came apart and did not exit.  Sure the deer dropped DRT but if you are like me, I like an exit wound if I have to trail the deer.  Entrance wounds normally close up and bleed very little.
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 7:08:38 AM EDT
[#15]
After a range session with my BM ORC .308 carbine the plain old Federal 150gr 308A load prints nice .983 inch groups at 100 yards and opens up to just over 3 inches at 300 yards. The best grouping was with Hornady 155gr TAP FPD....At 100 yards it shot one ragged hole and at 300 yards was under 3 inches. Thinking I'll see how this TAP ammo works on Whitetails. My department SRT snipers swear by the TAP round and they've done a lot more shooting with it than I have. Thanks again for all the info and suggestions...
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
After a range session with my BM ORC .308 carbine the plain old Federal 150gr 308A load prints nice .983 inch groups at 100 yards and opens up to just over 3 inches at 300 yards. The best grouping was with Hornady 155gr TAP FPD....At 100 yards it shot one ragged hole and at 300 yards was under 3 inches. Thinking I'll see how this TAP ammo works on Whitetails. My department SRT snipers swear by the TAP round and they've done a lot more shooting with it than I have. Thanks again for all the info and suggestions...

It uses the AMAX so you'll get some explosive performance from the thin jacket and relatively low penetration. It will definitely lay a deer (or a person) out, but you're going to have some pretty significant meat loss if hunting.
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It uses the AMAX so you'll get some explosive performance from the thin jacket and relatively low penetration. It will definitely lay a deer (or a person) out, but you're going to have some pretty significant meat loss if hunting.

If hunting with the AMAX it's a good idea to take head or neck shots on deer. Don't neck shoot anything you plan to mount though because it will damn near take it in half. High shoulder shots work well too with Amax but ruins a lot of meat. The traditional boiler room shot also isn't bad as long as you keep it out of the shoulder, the rib meat it will ruin isn't that great anyway IMO.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I have shot 40-50 deer and hogs with the .308 using a 20 inch heavy barrelled sako bolt gun.  What I learned:

1.  Never use match bullets for hunting.  that federal gold match 168 will shoot lights out at the range, and it will wound the crap out of a nice buck and leave you calling around looking for a tracking dog.
2.  Dont use the ballistic tip.  I love the nosler accubonds, but the ballistic tips could wound animals as well, they loo like they are the same bullets but they arn't.  bonded core is a big deal, remington core locks, the most used bullet ever on deer, is a bonded core bullet.
3.  I dont like the solid brass bullets made by several firms, barnes would be an example.  I have seen them used by others and they tend to get through the little deer in texas so fast that they do little damage, leave a pin prick, as you might say, and they run off.

I would try hunting rounds in 150 165 and 180 grains and see what your gun groups the best and shoot them.  My favorite round is the blackhills 180 grain accubond match load, but i also like the 180 grain partition from federal both in normal and high velocity loadings. I have never wounded and not recovered an animal with a 180 grain hunting bullet, I have lost animals with 150 grain ballistic tips and 168 grain match ammo.

I prefer the heavier the bullet the better for hunting, but somepeople like lightweight bullets because they have a higher velocity and a flatter trajectory.  I would find a good premium hunting round that groups well in your gun and use that.  I would hate to lose a trophy deer because I tried to save 60 cents a round on a 20 round box of ammo.

ALL IMO
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:43:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have shot 40-50 deer and hogs with the .308 using a 20 inch heavy barrelled sako bolt gun.  What I learned:

1.  Never use match bullets for hunting.  that federal gold match 168 will shoot lights out at the range, and it will wound the crap out of a nice buck and leave you calling around looking for a tracking dog.
2.  Dont use the ballistic tip.  I love the nosler accubonds, but the ballistic tips could wound animals as well, they loo like they are the same bullets but they arn't.  bonded core is a big deal, remington core locks, the most used bullet ever on deer, is a bonded core bullet.
3.  I dont like the solid brass bullets made by several firms, barnes would be an example.  I have seen them used by others and they tend to get through the little deer in texas so fast that they do little damage, leave a pin prick, as you might say, and they run off.

I would try hunting rounds in 150 165 and 180 grains and see what your gun groups the best and shoot them.  My favorite round is the blackhills 180 grain accubond match load, but i also like the 180 grain partition from federal both in normal and high velocity loadings. I have never wounded and not recovered an animal with a 180 grain hunting bullet, I have lost animals with 150 grain ballistic tips and 168 grain match ammo.

I prefer the heavier the bullet the better for hunting, but somepeople like lightweight bullets because they have a higher velocity and a flatter trajectory.  I would find a good premium hunting round that groups well in your gun and use that.  I would hate to lose a trophy deer because I tried to save 60 cents a round on a 20 round box of ammo.

ALL IMO

150gr Barnes TTSX will fit the bill....
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top