Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/5/2011 8:22:46 PM EDT
Well, today Alexander Arms announced a few things at the Big 3 writers event.

1. The Grendel has been accepted by SAAMI
2. They have released their trademark on the 6.5mm Grendel
3. They showed off steel cased Grendel produced by Wolf
4. They hired a very well respected gentleman named Wayne Holt to handle PR.

So, now ANYONE can make a 6.5mm Grendel.
The steel cased ammo is being produced by Barnaul for Wolf Performance ARMS and Ammunition.
Note Wolf now has a firearms division and is working with Izhmash and Molot. They are looking into
Vepr and Saiga rifles in 6.5mm Grendel. Currently testing is being done on the Wolf steel cases to verify
they are good to go. Wolf is claiming production ammo for 1st quarter of this coming year. They said
now that they switched this from Tula to Barnaul things are progressing nicely. I think its very positive
as Barnaul's quality is well known for being a notch above Tulas. The steel cases look sexy....

Wayne Holt was the #2 man at Hornady for many years and was with Glock prior to this.
This is big move on Alexander Arms part. Should be very interesting to see how things go. He's very
well liked and respected in the industry.

Wolf was at the event and they are very firmly behind the Grendel, and have some very interesting
things regarding AK rifles.

I'm tired, will try to get some pics up in a couple days. Day two of the event is tomorrow.......
The Military Arms Channel folks are out here, great guys. Had a really good time speaking
with them and seeing how they do stuff. Lot of interesting products and Hi-Lux showed a
prototype of a new CMR type scope....many interesting things here.......even had one of the early
developers of the 6.8 SPC!
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 9:28:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Steel case is a game changer! 6.5 ammo at 7.62x39 prices, or close. Plinking with a Grendel at AK prices!

Wayne Holt will be an immense help to AA as it expands the brand, especially with the release of the trademark.

So now all the claimed obstructions are gone! Let the games begin!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 10:14:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Just another great day to love my grendel. I just need better mags for it and I'll be gitty as a school girl.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 10:18:02 PM EDT
[#3]

My opinion of Bill Alexander just changed 180 degrees.

Good for him, good for us, and good for the Grendel.

Thank you for posting this great news David!

Link Posted: 10/5/2011 10:24:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't wait for the steel case.  I've got 4 of the barrels from the Liberty Barrels clearance just waiting for builds.  This is very happy news.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#5]
i would so buy a grendel upper
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 11:19:00 PM EDT
[#6]
This certainly is a game changer.  Im not a fan of steel case but I do agree this is a good thing for the Grendel and its future.  It'll be real interesting to watch this play out over the next month or so to.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 1:12:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Steel case ammo has been a slight interest of mine for a bit now.  YAY.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 5:42:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Wolf was at the event and they are very firmly behind the Grendel, and have some very interesting

Was this purposely vague statement? Does that mean Wolf is firmly behind selling the ammo, or has Wolf suddenly gotten into the AK building business?
Hard to believe Russians use a 6.5 Grendel in a AK Rifle. If desired, it would be a lot easier for them to create a intermediate cartridge 6.5x39mm with the same body taper and shoulder angle as the 7.62x39?

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 6:11:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was this purposely vague statement? Does that mean Wolf is firmly behind selling the ammo, or has Wolf suddenly gotten into the AK building business?
Hard to believe Russians use a 6.5 Grendel in a AK Rifle. If desired, it would be a lot easier for them to create a intermediate cartridge 6.5x39mm with the same body taper and shoulder angle as the 7.62x39?

Hopefully those oddball names will go away as well.  e.g LBC etc
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 6:13:38 AM EDT
[#10]
This is good news, now the same thing needs to happen with the .50 Beowulf
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 6:20:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is good news, now the same thing needs to happen with the .50 Beowulf

That will be very tough, because most of the major manufacturers (read SAAMI members) have already jumped into a big bore cartridge, generally the .450 Bushie, and finding a partner to take it to SAAMI AND willing to manufacture brass would be very difficult. The big bore market is much smaller than the intermediate cartridge market, so that would be a big uphill battle. (How many 5.56's, 6.8's, and 6.5's are built for every Beo, .450 Bushie and ..458 SOCOM?) I don't know anyone who has more than one big bore, but I know LOTS of guys with 2, 3, 4, 5 or more of the others.

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 6:30:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I wish they would release some Barrels
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 6:31:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Good news on the steel case Grendel.  I have two rifles I need barrels for and have been holding off waiting on this.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 6:31:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Good to hear.  AA's trademark was only there for quality control of the "grendel" name.  Now that it has a saami standard its not necessary.

Been waiting on steel cased for years now...  barnaul sounds promising.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 6:32:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Hard to tell if they will go away, but one thing for sure they can legally now produce a 6.5 Grendel and that may takes sales away from AA.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 6:35:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I kind of agree with bwaites on this.  The 50 Beowulf works, but I wouldn't consider it a "great" cartridge.  For one it's over rebated. That gives two reasons why it's low pressure operated. One is the AR 15 bolt isn't strong enough for the bolt thrust that the %0 Beowulf could develop if it were higher pressure.  The other is, because it has such a drastic rebated rim, that it could "oil can", or possibly even blow out the web of the cartridge if it was higher pressure.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 6:39:13 AM EDT
[#17]
What puzzles me is why Wayne Holt isn't still working for Hornady or Glock?  

On the Wolf ammo I have some questions.  First I want to say it's always good to have more variety of ammo.  Okay, will this new ammo have the hard primers like their 7.62x39 military line that people have trouble with the firing pins in the AR 15 platform? Will the firing mods have to be made, or is it loaded with a move conventional primer?

I forgot this so edited to ask:  Why didn't AA or Bill Alexander make this announcement here?
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:51:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Took long enough!  I am now anxiously awaiting other barrel manufacturers to get in gear here but most of all want a Grendel MRP and a 6.5 AK, particularly a VEPR.  ( I just wish they had an 18 inch barrel on them.)
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 8:16:45 AM EDT
[#19]
This is exciting news for me on all aspects. I'll be watching as the situation unfolds .
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 8:36:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Great news for the Grendel shooters. I'm very happy to hear it. OP, you know that I'm in the "other" 6+ camp, and for very good reasons ti me, but it was a tough decision to make when I bought my upper. One of the reasons was I was afraid of Mr. Alexander killing this fine cartridge, although since my purchase other 6.5/.264 variants have been made. If I ever get enough cash to build a second 6.+ upper I will be looking very hard at the Grendel.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Anyone else interested in a 6.5 cal AK? I think the Grendel would be right at home chambered in an AK and the mags are already designed to function with its parent case, plus the improved ballistics and possibility of a cheap source of ammo...win-win-win situation.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 9:27:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Anyone else interested in a 6.5 cal AK? I think the Grendel would be right at home chambered in an AK and the mags are already designed to function with its parent case, plus the improved ballistics and possibility of a cheap source of ammo...win-win-win situation.

I'm not sure why anyone WANTS an AK, but....LOL!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 9:32:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I know it's cool to have your favorite caliber in a variety of firearms, but wouldn't it be cheaper to shoot the AK47 with the surplus 7.62x39 not knowing how cheap  the steel case ammo is going to be?  Also I feel the 6.5 Grendel was more designed and geared towards accuracy, especially long range target shooting and also hunting.

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But less case capacity. The Grendel maximizes the case capacity while still creating a round that will feed well in full auto.

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But less case capacity. The Grendel maximizes the case capacity while still creating a round that will feed well in full auto.

So what, the 7.62x39 necked down to 6.5 still would have a very decent velocity and the cartridge would be more suitable towards semi auto and full automatic firing. Basically the only component being changed would be the barrel....maybe the firing pin.   It's not all about velocity.

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much more beneficial to exploit the already existing customer base with the Grendel than creat a lesser performing cartridge with no fan base .
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I know it's cool to have your favorite caliber in a variety of firearms, but wouldn't it be cheaper to shoot the AK47 with the surplus 7.62x39 not knowing how cheap  the steel case ammo is going to be?  Also I feel the 6.5 Grendel was more designed and geared towards accuracy, especially long range target shooting and also hunting.

I have to agree with Deutsch on this one.  I've thought about converting a Yugo SKS or an AK to fire Grendel for the "cool" factor, but I think the "cool" would wear off very quickly.  Neither gun, generally speaking, is known for its inherent accuracy, and on top of that, I find an AR much easier to shoot accurately.  I have to admit that I'd probably give serious consideration to purchasing a Grendel-chambered AK because I find new firearms so tempting, but unless the steel case Grendel supply is good and priced very near 7.62x39 prices, if my rational side joined the internal discussion, I'd have trouble justifying what would essentially amount to a glorified plinker for me.  That said, just because I probably wouldn't buy one doesn't mean I don't want them available for sale.  It's always nice to have options.  

I sure hope the steel case does make it in Q1 next year.  Like other Grendel enthusiasts, I've been itching for steel case since I had my first Grendel barrel in hand.  

I'm curious to see what other manufacturers will jump on the Grendel bandwagon now that the trademark is released and it's a SAAMI-approved round.  

Great news all around.  Thanks for posting the info, David.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 10:34:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have to agree with Deutsch on this one.  I've thought about converting a Yugo SKS or an AK to fire Grendel for the "cool" factor, but I think the "cool" would wear off very quickly.  Neither gun, generally speaking, is known for its inherent accuracy, and on top of that, I find an AR much easier to shoot accurately.  I have to admit that I'd probably give serious consideration to purchasing a Grendel-chambered AK because I find new firearms so tempting, but unless the steel case Grendel supply is good and priced very near 7.62x39 prices, if my rational side joined the internal discussion, I'd have trouble justifying what would essentially amount to a glorified plinker for me.  That said, just because I probably wouldn't buy one doesn't mean I don't want them available for sale.  It's always nice to have options.  

I sure hope the steel case does make it in Q1 next year.  Like other Grendel enthusiasts, I've been itching for steel case since I had my first Grendel barrel in hand.  

I'm curious to see what other manufacturers will jump on the Grendel bandwagon now that the trademark is released and it's a SAAMI-approved round.  

Great news all around.  Thanks for posting the info, David.

It's not an easy or cheap thing for a firearm manufacturer to just up and chamber for a new caliber. There are some proprietary components of the 6.5 rifle and those being the recessed special bolt and the magazines. It's not a simple matter of just buying the reamers.  The initial costs of those two items is a pretty good chunk if they would plan to make a sizable first run.  Look at Remington, they don't even chamber an AR for their baby the 6.8.  In fact they dropped the 6.8 from their rifle line.

Right is a big down turn for the whole gun industry due to the economy.  I've even heard Walmart is not going to restock slow selling ammo.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey, any word on mags?  Is D&H going to attempt to manufacture Grendel mag?  I've been happy with the C-Prod mags, but like I wrote above, options are good.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 10:43:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Hey, any word on mags?  Is D&H going to attempt to manufacture Grendel mag?  I've been happy with the C-Prod mags, but like I wrote above, options are good.

Didn't D&H just release a new 6.8 mag? Since people have said some of the other 6.8 mags run just fine in Grendels, it would be interesting to see how close the new one is.

AlexanderArms said this in another thread:

D&H magazines are now starting work on the Grendel magazines. We will be working closely with them on this and hopefully these will be available by the close of this year or at the latest SHOT The follower design has been rough drafted and we are looking at the ribs per positions also the spring set up.

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm not holding my breath that I'll see Grendel-chambered Mini-14s, AKs, FALs, SCARs, and XCRs on the shelf next week, but hopefully this turn of events does increase the industry acceptance of the round, even if at a very gradual pace.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't D&H just release a new 6.8 mag? Since people have said some of the other 6.8 mags run just fine in Grendels, it would be interesting to see how close the new one is.

AlexanderArms said this in another thread:

D&H magazines are now starting work on the Grendel magazines. We will be working closely with them on this and hopefully these will be available by the close of this year or at the latest SHOT The follower design has been rough drafted and we are looking at the ribs per positions also the spring set up.

bwaites,

What's your official position at AA now? I see some of your post where you state "we" and "we at AA......"

I'm waiting on D&H to get caught up on 7.62x39 magazines.

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm not holding my breath that I'll see Grendel-chambered Mini-14s, AKs, FALs, SCARs, and XCRs on the shelf next week, but hopefully this turn of events does increase the industry acceptance of the round, even if at a very gradual pace.

SCARS and ACR's might be nice, if only for the cool factor! The others––meh––not exactly paragons of accuracy, and only accurate rifles are interesting!
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes.  I just saw a thread that some outfit announced the availability of the D&H 6.8.  My CProd 6.8 is indistinguishable from my CProd 6.5s, except, of course, for the follower color, so it doesn't surprise me that both mags run 6.5 well for me.  However, the rearmost ribs on that D&H 6.8 mag, at best I can tell in the marginal picture, do look a tad bit deeper than the same two ribs on my CProd 6.5/6.8 mags.  That might preclude using Grendel effectively in that mag.  Put another way, those ribs look different enough to me that I'm not willing to buy a $20 mag to test it.  I'll happily let someone else do that.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Sig might be able to do a decent offering with a mix of 556/7.62 parts.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'll go against the grain here and say that a 2 moa or better AK would make a fine hunting tool . The mags would differ though since there is a different case taper.

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Very good write up! looking forward to hearing more!  It's quite nice that AA is doing this.  I've met Mr. Alexander himself and a few other employee's.

I am working to save $$$ for a barrel/bolt combo from them.  Even more reason now!
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#38]
I am a big fan of the grendel and I am really glad to hear this.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 2:57:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Good new about SAAMI and the trademark. Wolf steel case should turn sub minute  into a sub man of angle
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 3:06:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I wanted in on 1.

Any chance that you may offer a 6.5? If so i may have to buy another stealth upper.

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Congrats to the G crowd. I know ya'll have had a long battle and hopefully this is a step in the right direction.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I wanted in on 1.

I believe there might be 1 example of a Stealth Grendel upper, perhaps shot at 405yds and removing an elk from somewhere in America....

Was it "We don't need no steeeeeeenking 6.8"

Sounds like a good starting point, don't you??

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Hmmm, sounds like I may have another AR build to make...MWAHAHAHAHA
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#46]
It's about "F" ing time....  
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

The steel cased ammo is being produced by Barnaul for Wolf Performance ARMS and Ammunition.

Note Wolf now has a firearms division and is working with Izhmash and Molot. They are looking into

Vepr and Saiga rifles in 6.5mm Grendel.

Barnaul makes good ammo.  I would definitely buy a 6.5 Vepr.  I have two .308 Veprs and love them.  A properly massaged Vepr can be quite accurate.

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 11:37:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Vepr and Saiga rifles in 6.5mm Grendel.

Barnaul makes good ammo.  I would definitely buy a 6.5 Vepr.  I have two .308 Veprs and love them.  A properly massaged Vepr can be quite accurate.

That's what she said.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm going to be on the 6.* market next year.

How this plays out will really help my decision.

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Can someone please post a jpg or pdf of the SAAMI 6.5 Grendel cartridge and reamer prints?  Thanks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top