AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Some photos to help you:

1) Picture of a hole of barrel in upper of the original AR15:
http://74.86.251.190/original.jpg

2) Picture of the hole in an upper modified to Safir T14. Note that at the bottom of the hole was demoted. This avoids feeding problems.
http://74.86.251.190/new.jpg

3) Back of an upper modified. You need to follow this design to fit perfectly the ejector tab.
http://74.86.251.190/new2.jpg

You can make these two changes with a Dremel.

After that, just plug the barrel of the Safir T14 in the upper modified.
Place the delta ring of your choice.
If the barrel does not get tight, with a dremel, cut a little of the Delta ring to let him fix the barrel firmly.

Then mount the gas system and put the handguard of your choice. Remember that not all AR handguards to serve in the Safir because of its gas system, which has a rather large diameter.

[]'s

[]'s
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#2]
THANKS Otaviod !!!! Great help. Between my Dremel and Drill Press attachment I hve gotten pretty good at simple mill work - these pics help greatly ! Is that a plug in the Gas Port?
I can provide you a link to a Carbine length Quad Rail that I found on eBay that is large enough to fit over the T-14 Piston. email me and I'll send you the link.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#3]
And while we are all Noodling and Tinkering - has any one attempted Shortening the Barrel and going for an SBS stamp?
I'm not sure what the issues around possible reduced pressure and the T-14 Piston function would be. I'm not thinking REALLY short - maybe just take it down to 14 inched (including the Flash).
Any ideas?
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 6:09:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
And while we are all Noodling and Tinkering - has any one attempted Shortening the Barrel and going for an SBS stamp?
I'm not sure what the issues around possible reduced pressure and the T-14 Piston function would be. I'm not thinking REALLY short - maybe just take it down to 14 inched (including the Flash).
Any ideas?

About handguard:
Any handguard with 1.47" inner diameter is ok. Just ask seller.
I use Troy TRX, this handguard have 1.44 of inner diameter.
I had to use a half-round file to achieve the correct diameter.

About barrel:
Yes, you can.
But a .410 slug or Buckshot in 21" barrel is more effective than most of pistols calibers, in pistols, of course.
If you need a home defense T14. Just let the barrel in original size.
If its only your another AR upper, i think will be cool, but you upper lose efective power.

But is better you will do several tests, the best thing to do is buy an extra barrel separately.

[]'s

Link Posted: 11/4/2011 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks - Yea - once you start "Hacking" you can never go back - have a spare barrel to fix it back to stock set is a good idea.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 12:26:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Any ideas?

Derringers that fire .410 and .45 Colt are legal because they aren't over .50 caliber (destructive device), and have about a 1/2" of rifling, so they don't qualify as a smooth-bore sawed-off shot gun. A .45 caliber rifled barrel blank chambered for .410 shouldn't require a tax stamp.

Link Posted: 11/5/2011 11:40:35 AM EDT
[#7]
That's a great tip for a scratch build - one could make it any length they wanted under 16" barrel length as long as the lower was stamped for SBR.
Now you've REALLY got me thinkin'. THANKS !
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Any ideas?

Next week I will be sending a letter to the ATF to find out just what it will take to SBS the T14 upper
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That's a great tip for a scratch build - one could make it any length they wanted under 16" barrel length as long as the lower was stamped for SBR.

Now you've REALLY got me thinkin'. THANKS !

SBS. It's a shotgun and it would be 18".

Link Posted: 11/6/2011 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any ideas?

Next week I will be sending a letter to the ATF to find out just what it will take to SBS the T14 upper

What length are you thinking about ?? I'm concerned about the reduced pressure from a shorter than stock barrel. Worth more study - may or may not be an issue - but I'm new to these piston based systems. Busy making mods to my standard AR Upper Receiver based on info from our friend in Brazil - very helpful!
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#11]
OK thanks to the very helpful photos - all mods are completed. My T-14 is back together with the new-improved metal receiver. All functions PERFECT. I took the opportunity to smooth out the ramp on the barrel and all rounds chamber a lot better. Well worth a bit of tinkering - made a good upper GREAT !
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 2:56:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Great.
Have fun with your new improved T14.

[]'s
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 3:00:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Next week I will be sending a letter to the ATF to find out just what it will take to SBS the T14 upper[/

Why send a letter? You can't sbs the upper.  You wou would file a normal form 1 on the lower as a sbs.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 4:13:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Next week I will be sending a letter to the ATF to find out just what it will take to SBS the T14 upper[/

Why send a letter? You can't sbs the upper.  You wou would file a normal form 1 on the lower as a sbs.

A Taurus Judge fires .410 shotshells, has a barrel well under 18", yet it is not classified as an illegal "sawed-off" shotgun because the barrel is rifled. Why can't we do the same thing with an AR-15?

Link Posted: 11/8/2011 4:47:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That would be correct for a normal shotgun, but as you pointed out the upper it self can not
Be registered, but could it be done on an sbr registered lower? Or would it need to be permanently attached
To a lower and then registered as an sbs? The ATF would have to make a ruling on that, and they may also just say no to it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 5:07:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be correct for a normal shotgun, but as you pointed out the upper it self can not
Be registered, but could it be done on an sbr registered lower? Or would it need to be permanently attached
To a lower and then registered as an sbs? The ATF would have to make a ruling on that, and they may also just say no to it.

What is there to rule on? Fill out a form 1 with barrel length and caliber as 410. Refister as sbs.  Nothing to write a letter on.

Link Posted: 11/8/2011 7:23:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why send a letter? You can't sbs the upper.  You would file a normal form 1 on the lower as a sbs.

What is there to rule on? Fill out a form 1 with barrel length and caliber as 410. Register as sbs.  Nothing to write a letter on.

Based on how I read the Form 1 usage, qualifications and requirements (and I have filed a few) I would say that the "no ruling required" would apply and as said - you just specify the barrel length and caliber as .410 then file for SBS - but this as also said - since the Lower on the AR platform is what "officially" is registered then how does the "once you get an SBR stamp on a lower ANY short barrel upper can be covered when placed on that lower - no matter what was on the original Form 1 as long as it can be put back to original state when filed" apply??? It's something for the Lawyers to argue about (but better to get an ATF ruling rather than the court and Lawyer costs - not to mention Fines and PRISON if you lose). I wish it was less murky but  - there you go.
I was just wondering if there would be a problem with a shortened barrel producing enough pressure to assure reliable cycling via the piston system.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 8:02:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why send a letter? You can't sbs the upper.  You would file a normal form 1 on the lower as a sbs.

What is there to rule on? Fill out a form 1 with barrel length and caliber as 410. Register as sbs.  Nothing to write a letter on.

Based on how I read the Form 1 usage, qualifications and requirements (and I have filed a few) I would say that the "no ruling required" would apply and as said - you just specify the barrel length and caliber as .410 then file for SBS - but this as also said - since the Lower on the AR platform is what "officially" is registered then how does the "once you get an SBR stamp on a lower ANY short barrel upper can be covered when placed on that lower - no matter what was on the original Form 1 as long as it can be put back to original state when filed" apply??? It's something for the Lawyers to argue about (but better to get an ATF ruling rather than the court and Lawyer costs - not to mention Fines and PRISON if you lose). I wish it was less murky but  - there you go.

I was just wondering if there would be a problem with a shortened barrel producing enough pressure to assure reliable cycling via the piston system.

You could put any length shotgun barrel on it.  It would be a SBS so it wouldn't cover SBR stuff, and a SBR stamp wouldn't cover the SBS upper.  From my understanding you'd essentially be building a lower that would only work NFA w/ something like this.  Not a huge issue IMO w/ the cost of AR lowers.  

I don't know about the technical side of this.   I'm sure you could make it run with a short barrel, but I'm not sure what it would take.  

Link Posted: 11/13/2011 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OK thanks to the very helpful photos - all mods are completed. My T-14 is back together with the new-improved metal receiver. All functions PERFECT. I took the opportunity to smooth out the ramp on the barrel and all rounds chamber a lot better. Well worth a bit of tinkering - made a good upper GREAT !

OK here are the test results after Desert Testing - Feeding / Chambering is erratic - some rounds do fine other catch and damage cartridge (need to look closer at the Ramp again). Ejection is functioning normal. I did notice some Bulging in the brass on some cases, (see photo link below) but not all - appeared to be random except with the Winchester Slugs.

Case Brass Bulging
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm now a member of the AR-15 .410 Safirarms T-14 club. Got a cardboard tube from Classic Firearms, slid the upper out, and thought either my fingers have swollen, or that's a smaller carry handle! Swabbed the bore out (very dirty) and function fired Remington Express #6 shot (all I have in 2 1/2"). Two failures to feed (bolt rode over shell and pinched it), extraction and ejection flawless. The silly loose FSB shot forward, and the foregrips popped out; nothing that an allen wrench didn't cure. Very easy to disassemble and clean. I will be using metal parts here and there, but I'm satisfied with the basic design. Magtech brass seems the way to go, since I already load .450 Bushmaster with Hodgdon Lil'gun.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm now a member of the AR-15 .410 Safirarms T-14 club. Got a cardboard tube from Classic Firearms, slid the upper out, and thought either my fingers have swollen, or that's a smaller carry handle! Swabbed the bore out (very dirty) and function fired Remington Express #6 shot (all I have in 2 1/2"). Two failures to feed (bolt rode over shell and pinched it), extraction and ejection flawless. The silly loose FSB shot forward, and the foregrips popped out; nothing that an allen wrench didn't cure. Very easy to disassemble and clean. I will be using metal parts here and there, but I'm satisfied with the basic design. Magtech brass seems the way to go, since I already load .450 Bushmaster with Hodgdon Lil'gun.

Very interested in your loading data for the MagTech brass and the .410 - I have been thinking that it will ultimately be the reliable way to go with this upper. I have also thought that maybe a heavier Buffer (like the one from my AR57 Upper) may help the Bulging Brass issue - any thoughts there?
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone brave enough to try a 45 LC yet?  I would think that if it handles slugs just fine it should handle 45 LC as well. What do you think the pressure difference is?
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 11:46:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Anyone brave enough to try a 45 LC yet?  I would think that if it handles slugs just fine it should handle 45 LC as well. What do you think the pressure difference is?

.410 bore is just that. A .45 LC bullet is .452 diameter. If the barrel doesn't rupture, it sure would get stuck. A Barnaul 97gr. slug is .400 diameter encased in a plastic wad.

Link Posted: 11/14/2011 2:02:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

European model (available in Brazil) works with .44-40. No pressure problems. I think the U.S model have a same barrel as European model.

[]'s
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 2:06:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's a bit aggressive, but after I rounded the corners of the chamber with a Dremel (entrance of the barrel) never had feeding problems. But we no have Remington ammo here, just tested that Magtech and Winchester. Slugs and Buckshots.

[]'s
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 4:46:07 AM EDT
[#26]
The feed ramp and chamber needs a little polishing. What I want is to make a reliable short range bird load for wild turkey and quail where you are right on top of them before they fly out.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

.410 bore is just that. A .45 LC bullet is .452 diameter. If the barrel doesn't rupture, it sure would get stuck. A Barnaul 97gr. slug is .400 diameter encased in a plastic wad.

I knew they would chamber fine and I've cycled them through without a problem but haven't had the courage to pull the trigger.  Wasn't sure if the pressure would be similar or much higher than a .410 round.  So you're saying that the bullet wouldn't pass through the barrel?
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 1:50:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I knew they would chamber fine and I've cycled them through without a problem but haven't had the courage to pull the trigger.  Wasn't sure if the pressure would be similar or much higher than a .410 round.  So you're saying that the bullet wouldn't pass through the barrel?

45 LC = Maximum pressure, 14000 psi.
.410 2 1/2" = Maximum pressure, 12500 psi.

I contact Safirarms in Turkey and they assured me the following:
This weapon can handle more than 23,000 PSI.

I do not think the pressure as a problem, but the diameter of the barrel.

[]'s
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 6:15:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[]'s

If I had an old .410 shotgun that I didn't care about, I'd put it in a vise, load a Winchester .45 Colt cartridge with a 250 gr. bullet, tie a string on the trigger and give it a pull. With this Safirarms upper, I'll feed it what it's designed for, but it didn't come with a operator's manual...

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 8:03:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If I had an old .410 shotgun that I didn't care about, I'd put it in a vise, load a Winchester .45 Colt cartridge with a 250 gr. bullet, tie a string on the trigger and give it a pull. With this Safirarms upper, I'll feed it what it's designed for, but it didn't come with a operator's manual...

I agree with you.
If you need Safir manual:
http://safirarms.desktopmarket.com/catalog/pub/UsersManual.pdf

[]'s
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Avy ideas on the issue I experienced with some Bulging in the brass on some cases, (see photo link below) but not all - appeared to be random except with the Winchester Slugs.

some Bulging in the brass on some cases, (see photo link back on page 3) but not all - appeared to be random except with the Winchester Slugs.

see Case Brass Bulging

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 7:00:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone brave enough to try a 45 LC yet? I would think that if it handles slugs just fine it should handle 45 LC as well. What do you think the pressure difference is?

I knew they would chamber fine and I've cycled them through without a problem but haven't had the courage to pull the trigger. Wasn't sure if the pressure would be similar or much higher than a .410 round. So you're saying that the bullet wouldn't pass through the barrel?

[]'s

So how about .41 Magnum then?

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 3:10:28 AM EDT
[#33]
I have one, and I've been thinking about pistol cartridges too.

I think what might be the best choice (bolt face, pressure considerations, C.O.A.L., etc) would the the 45-70 in its standard
low-pressue loading (the low-pressure loading for the Springfield Trapdoor rifle).
Obviously you need a new barrel, but the 45-70 cartridge will fit otherwise, and it is still a great close quarter round for this platform.

The 444 Marlin fits too, but chamber pressures of  the standard loading are too high up there for my tastes.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 3:17:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone brave enough to try a 45 LC yet? I would think that if it handles slugs just fine it should handle 45 LC as well. What do you think the pressure difference is?

I knew they would chamber fine and I've cycled them through without a problem but haven't had the courage to pull the trigger. Wasn't sure if the pressure would be similar or much higher than a .410 round. So you're saying that the bullet wouldn't pass through the barrel?

[]'s

So how about .41 Magnum then?

.41 Magnum = 35000 PSI.

See more: http://www.lasc.us/SAAMIMaxPressure.htm
I think the best choice is .44-40 or reloading your own "super" 410 with a heavy slug and extra powder. See more here: http://mcb-homis.com/index410.html

[]s

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 5:08:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Ordered and received my upper last week.  Perhaps I missed it, but is there a full list of the ammo that works for these?  Links to the products at Midway might also be helpful.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 6:43:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Hi my friend,
Recommended Ammunition for T14:
http://tactical.desktopmarket.com/catalog/information.php?info_id=18

I just add in this list: Magtech 2" 1/2 slug and Magtech buckshot (4 pellets).
[]'s
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:02:07 AM EDT
[#37]
What I have so far: T-14 upper made in Turkey
                               Magtech empty unprimed brass made in Brazil
                               Ballistic Products Inc. .410 Light Game Slug made in Italy
                               Winchester large handgun primers made in USA
                               Hodgdon Lil'Gun Shotgun Powder made in USA
                               Remington Express #6 Shot 2 1/2" length shot shells made in USA
                               Assorted Russian made .410 2 /34"-3" length slug, buckshot, and bird shotshells to cut open and use components
I already have a .410 shotgun, but its not an AR-15....
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:04:36 AM EDT
[#38]
.38-40.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38-40_Winchester

I think this caliber fits in Safir too.

[]'s
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:05:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Saw that list, I was just looking for more.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:10:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Unlike the .22LR replicas, this T14 shotgun is really based on the AR-15. Really AR-15 plataform.
But obviously .410 is not .223...hehe

[]'s

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:52:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unlike the .22LR replicas, this T14 shotgun is really based on the AR-15. Really AR-15 plataform.

[]'s

I started at the age of 11 shooting .410 shotguns and .22 rifles, so now 46 years later I'll just get better at it!

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:23:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[]'s

I started at the age of 11 shooting .410 shotguns and .22 rifles, so now 46 years later I'll just get better at it!

I'm only 26. Military service is mandatory in Brazil. I have experience with 7.62 / 308.
The .410 Or .22 LR rifle is not a service rifle (here in Brazil is FAL and ParaFAL / MD-97), but it is cheap and fun. I really like.

Good shots my friend.
[]'s

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#43]
I have had good results with Winchester® Super-X® .410 2-1/2" "000" Buckshot and 1/5 oz. Slug.
Link Posted: 11/30/2011 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Very interested in your loading data for the MagTech brass and the .410 - I have been thinking that it will ultimately be the reliable way to go with this upper. I have also thought that maybe a heavier Buffer (like the one from my AR57 Upper) may help the Bulging Brass issue - any thoughts there?

I'd like to know as well.  Any recommendations for buffers?

Link Posted: 12/1/2011 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to know as well.  Any recommendations for buffers?

I use H2 buffer and Heavy spring. Works very good. Full auto capable.

[]'s

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top