User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 2:19:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a LR-308.  I went with the DPMS over the RRA because of the magazines.  I was replacing my FAL because nobody makes a reasonably priced, reliable FAL magazines.  It's all 50 yeat old surplus.  The prices are at comparable to Magpul 308 pmags, but you end up buying bunches of mags and going through them trying for reliable ones, then selling off the ones that aren't quite right, or spend more money for springs to try to get them right.  The new Korean ones are hit or miss.  The much anticipated DSAs didn't work.

The DPMS uses the SR-25 mags.  Magpul 308 20s are $18 and dead nuts reliable.  The factory DPMS trigger BLOWS (mine was 14.3 lbs out of the box- swear to God, thought I was gonna have to hit it with a brick), but a $45 spring kit got me a manageable 4.4lbs and 2" 200yrd groups.

A dust cover would be nice, but I'm not a grunt.

John
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 6:03:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I never held or shot a RRA but I bought a 16" AP4 DPMS to suppress.  Using my YHM 7.62 I put 1000 rounds through it before I HAD to sell the rig.  Im a lefty, using a BCM gunfighter charging handle, never had any issues with blowback.  It was a great rig and I can't wait till I can buy it again.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The RRA uses FAL magazines, not the original Stoner AR-10 magazine design in production by Magpul, DPMS, CProducts, POF, Knights, LaRue, etc..  The RRA is a great rifle and much better IMHO than any factory DPMS 308, but every part of the DPMS can be upgraded with aftermarket parts, while there is very little that can be changed on the Rock River.  There. aren't any other mags to choose from and nobody evengd makes a barrel for it.  So if you want the better value on an out of the box gun get the RRA. If you want the ability to change, upgrade, and customize, then go with the DPMS.

Just my 2 cent but this says quite a bit. Out-of-box RRA is better but the $200 that you would save on the dpms will make you a happier owner of the DPMS. You WILL upgrade either that you get and the dpms can facilitate this.

I own a DPMS myself and it is great. My good friend has a RRA and it is great. I have extras and he doesn't...............Just sayin'

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 4:25:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a LR-308.  I went with the DPMS over the RRA because of the magazines.  I was replacing my FAL because nobody makes a reasonably priced, reliable FAL magazines.  It's all 50 yeat old surplus.  The prices are at comparable to Magpul 308 pmags, but you end up buying bunches of mags and going through them trying for reliable ones, then selling off the ones that aren't quite right, or spend more money for springs to try to get them right.  The new Korean ones are hit or miss.  The much anticipated DSAs didn't work.

The DPMS uses the SR-25 mags.  Magpul 308 20s are $18 and dead nuts reliable.  The factory DPMS trigger BLOWS (mine was 14.3 lbs out of the box- swear to God, thought I was gonna have to hit it with a brick), but a $45 spring kit got me a manageable 4.4lbs and 2" 200yrd groups.

John

20.00 rra polymer mags . they work just fine

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

John

20.00 rra polymer mags . they work just fine

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/jwb47/IMG_20110828_132118.jpg?t=1314569111

awesome, i just ordered some the other day and wasn't sure about them...found um for 17 dollars
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top