Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/20/2011 10:06:04 AM EDT
Sorry if this has been asked a million times but I just wanted to know if you all think RRA is worth $200 more than DPMS?  My local shop has both in stock and I honeslty like the RRA more but the DPMS is less money.  I've heard DPMS has QC issues so I don't mind paying a little more for higher quality.  Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#1]
DPMS is good but the RRA is a better quality gun. I really like the two RRA LR308's I have. They are accurate and smooth. The DPMS is a god gun and I have two of them and they work great. I've heard that the DPMS quality is not as good as Armalite or DSA.
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#2]
My DPMS required a new barrel, and they did a poor job of putting on a new hand guard while it was there....it wasn't straight.     It is a marvelous shooter now, but it was a pain in the ass to get it that way.
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Get what you like ! I got the RRA and LOVE IT!!!!Also RRA gives you dual bolt and mag release and match trigger!!! Imo RRA has better fit and finish.Plus the cryo treatment on the barrel works!I know my LAR8 carbine is moa with port and dag surplus!!Sub moa with my reloads.Get the RRA you wont regret it!I
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#4]
My DPMS with 16" Heavy Barrel 1/10 7.62x51 NATO is a banging biat*h..

Eats anything.. from Hornady to German to Brown Bear to Tula.. accuracy at 200 yards with the Hornady AMAX 168 was 1 5/8" with 10 shots.. (with a scope of course)..

Just shot it again today.. wooops I forgot to clean it last time.. oh well.. it just keeps going and going and going..

I liked the RRA but finding the CETME FAL mags (or whatever they were) were slowly creeping up in price..

I figured stay with the KA, DPMS, Ruger, etc.. reliable MagPul mags and be done with it..

for just over $1K I am very happy since I bought it this past Xmas for myself..  

Link Posted: 8/20/2011 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#5]
my DPMS carbine rides in my squad car next to me every night. so that should tell you something.
i'v also owned a dozan DPMS rifles, (still have 5) all have been 100% reliable.  only parts i have ever replaced have been gas rings when i wear em out.
i'v owned an RRA lower, worked just fine as well.  had a nice finish and smooth trigger.
pick whichever one you like best.  but i dont think you are getting any more or less quality with either one.
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies.  I'm still trying to understand all of the .398 differences.  So the RRA lowers don't take the Magpul mags?
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the RRA arms can not use Pmags
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#8]
The RRA uses FAL magazines, not the original Stoner AR-10 magazine design in production by Magpul, DPMS, CProducts, POF, Knights, LaRue, etc..  The RRA is a great rifle and much better IMHO than any factory DPMS 308, but every part of the DPMS can be upgraded with aftermarket parts, while there is very little that can be changed on the Rock River.  There. aren't any other mags to choose from and nobody evengd makes a barrel for it.  So if you want the better value on an out of the box gun get the RRA. If you want the ability to change, upgrade, and customize, then go with the DPMS.
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#9]
RRA for sure
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 11:59:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The RRA uses FAL magazines, not the original Stoner AR-10 magazine design in production by Magpul, DPMS, CProducts, POF, Knights, LaRue, etc..  The RRA is a great rifle and much better IMHO than any factory DPMS 308, but every part of the DPMS can be upgraded with aftermarket parts, while there is very little that can be changed on the Rock River.  There. aren't any other mags to choose from and nobody evengd makes a barrel for it.  So if you want the better value on an out of the box gun get the RRA. If you want the ability to change, upgrade, and customize, then go with the DPMS.

+1
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 12:49:06 AM EDT
[#11]
No, go with the DPMS. I have 5 of them and like them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 6:53:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok, I'm going to throw a curveball on my own thread...how would the Bushy .308 compare to DPMS AND RRA?
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I hear that they are not near the same quaulity, much less!
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#14]
1 more vote for the RRA LAR-8.  If upgrading and modifying every little piece with aftermarket parts is what you're in to then maybe the DPMS will fit you best.  If you just want to be able to change the forearm with a free float tube/quad rail from 3-4 different manufacturers then the LAR-8 can do it.  Magpul MOE handguards will also fit.  The LAR-8 will accept most aftermarket stocks.  RRA is also coming out with a Mil-Spec buffer tube to make it even more compatible with currently available aftermarket stocks.

RRA/Thermold are now producing p-mags for the LAR-8.  New 30 rd FAL mags are also available from DSA ($25.00).  Reading on the forums, a lot of people shoot surplus ammo for plinking with no issues.  I haven't shot any surplus in my rifle just yet.  I only have ~220 rounds through mine using off the shelf ammo (168gn GMM, Power Shok Federal 150gn, Winchester Super-X 150 and 180gn , etc) and it shoots them all very well.  I've never had a FTF or FTE with the surplus mag that came with my rifle.  Did I mention mine is a 16" mid-length model that will shoot 3/4 - 1 MOA with the aforementioned ammo @ 100yds?  RRA guarantees 1.5 MOA with their 16" barrels and 1 MOA with their 20" barrels.  Most shooters that have become accustomed to their LAR-8s are shooting at or under this guaranteed accuracy.

RRA also has 7mm-08 and .243 uppers available for the LAR-8 lowers.  They claim they will be coming out with uppers in more calibers in the future.

I have never shot a DPMS, only handled them at local gun shops prior to my LAR-8 purchase.  The fit and finish of the LAR-8 is second to none in its price range.  You can't go wrong with this rifle.

Good luck in your search.  It's part of the enjoyment of purchasing a new rifle.
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
1 more vote for the RRA LAR-8.  If upgrading and modifying every little piece with aftermarket parts is what you're in to then maybe the DPMS will fit you best.  If you just want to be able to change the forearm with a free float tube/quad rail from 3-4 different manufacturers then the LAR-8 can do it.  Magpul MOE handguards will also fit.  The LAR-8 will accept most aftermarket stocks.  RRA is also coming out with a Mil-Spec buffer tube to make it even more compatible with currently available aftermarket stocks.

RRA/Thermold are now producing p-mags for the LAR-8.  New 30 rd FAL mags are also available from DSA ($25.00).  Reading on the forums, a lot of people shoot surplus ammo for plinking with no issues.  I haven't shot any surplus in my rifle just yet.  I only have ~220 rounds through mine using off the shelf ammo (168gn GMM, Power Shok Federal 150gn, Winchester Super-X 150 and 180gn , etc) and it shoots them all very well.  I've never had a FTF or FTE with the surplus mag that came with my rifle.  Did I mention mine is a 16" mid-length model that will shoot 3/4 - 1 MOA with the aforementioned ammo @ 100yds?  RRA guarantees 1.5 MOA with their 16" barrels and 1 MOA with their 20" barrels.  Most shooters that have become accustomed to their LAR-8s are shooting at or under this guaranteed accuracy.

RRA also has 7mm-08 and .243 uppers available for the LAR-8 lowers.  They claim they will be coming out with uppers in more calibers in the future.

I have never shot a DPMS, only handled them at local gun shops prior to my LAR-8 purchase.  The fit and finish of the LAR-8 is second to none in its price range.  You can't go wrong with this rifle.

Good luck in your search.  It's part of the enjoyment of purchasing a new rifle.

Thanks for this info!!!  I believe you have sold me on the RRA.  The one I'm looking to get is the 16" LAR-8.  I was concerned about the handguard and stock but I believe you answered that question.  The guy in the store said that I'd have to have special handguards for an LAR-8 but it seems I could use AR-15 handguards.  Is this correct?

Link Posted: 8/21/2011 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for this info!!!  I believe you have sold me on the RRA.  The one I'm looking to get is the 16" LAR-8.  I was concerned about the handguard and stock but I believe you answered that question.  The guy in the store said that I'd have to have special handguards for an LAR-8 but it seems I could use AR-15 handguards.  Is this correct?

No, you cannot use AR-15 handguards.  You have to use the ones designed specifically for the LAR-8.  The following free floats will work: JP Enterprises modular rails, Daniel Defense Lite rails, RRA rails, SWS rails to name a few.  It may require a call to the manufacturer (such as SWS) to ensure you get the exact product you want.
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you cannot use AR-15 handguards.  You have to use the ones designed specifically for the LAR-8.  The following free floats will work: JP Enterprises modular rails, Daniel Defense Lite rails, RRA rails, SWS rails to name a few.  It may require a call to the manufacturer (such as SWS) to ensure you get the exact product you want.

the rra will use regular ar15 handguards , buttstocks and grips including magpiul . it is the free float rails that are the issue do to a proprietary barrel nut.
my rifle below has a mag pul rifle length handguard  cav manufacturing a1 buttstock and an ergo grip .  that is a  mk 4 cqt leupold riding on top

Link Posted: 8/21/2011 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the clarification, jwb47.  Nice rifle as well.  How's it shoot for you?
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the rra will use regular ar15 handguards , buttstocks and grips including magpiul . it is the free float rails that are the issue do to a proprietary barrel nut.
my rifle below has a mag pul rifle length handguard  cav manufacturing a1 buttstock and an ergo grip .  that is a  mk 4 cqt leupold riding on top

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/jwb47/001-1.jpg

Sweet rifle!  I see you have an A2 style buttstock but do you know if the buffer tube it comes with fits the AR-15 style Commercial or Mil-spec type buttocks?

Link Posted: 8/22/2011 8:09:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I have one of the Bushies. Great rifle! Sub MOA with match ammo. I have had no problems with mine. Made by the same company as DPMS same pattern (takes pmags). Comes with a better trigger than the DPMS, chromelined barrel, chamber and carrier. Mine goes bang every time! I think its a great value! It come s a heavy profile barrel. Even with the heavy barrel the overall weight is not bad!

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:54:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Bushmaster and Dpms are twins.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks for the clarification, jwb47.  Nice rifle as well.  How's it shoot for you?

thanks . it does what I want pretty well . I have never had a malfunction except one round of some cheap surplus stuff the rest were fine.   im sure with a free float rail and some good glass I could shoot moa or pretty close to it , but  I didnt want to be dragging a 15lb rifle around in the woods. I was actuall looking at a dpms but they had this rifle brand new on the shelf and I walked out the door with it for 1050.00 . Today I got 2 of the new polymer mags thermold is making for rock river . 20 bucks apiece thisd weekend I will test them.

to the person asking about the buffer tube I believe it is commercial.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I was considering either a DPMS Panther SASS or Rock River, but I could build a better rifle for the same if not less.

Stripped Mega billet monolithic upper & lower, cheap AR-15 parts kit, my choice of barrel with matching/head spaced bolt carrier group (Rainier Arms for instance), gas block and stock kit. Slap it all together with a $50 vice block and it's all done. You can even build it piece by piece as time goes by. Same price, if not less, but definitely BETTER than a Rock River or DPMS rifle.

Shit, if you think about it ... where have you ever seen a monolithic AR for less than $3,000? LaRue, POF, etc... are all $3,000 rifles.

There is a major general decision to make when building a AR 308 as far as price goes. You either go with Armalite pattern BCG & barrel or you go with DPMS. For the most part DPMS BCGs have no forward assist (rarely some do). Most Armalite BCGs do (some do not, but you have a choice). There are other design differences between the two, but if you compare the cost ... Armalite BCGs cost more in comparison. You do save money going without a forward assist and using DPMS pattern.

For around $2,000 you can get a 308 monolithic billet upper & lower with a Noveske barrel. Less for a DPMS pattern setup.

If you go with a standard non-monolithic upper & lower, you can save a good deal of money using a tube hand guard.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

is this true?
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 6:16:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes.  Both are owned by parent company Freedom Group, which also owns AAC, Remington, Marlin, and Barnes Bullets to name a few noteables.
As far as differences of actual firearms, i can't believe there would be that major differences between the two.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Sorta true...Before Bushmaster was bought out...they had the BAR8...had many issues with it...sold the rights back to RRA that named it LAR8.

The current BM 308 are the same as DPMS since they are owned by the same company.

Quoted:
Quoted:

is this true?

Link Posted: 8/24/2011 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My DPMS required a new barrel, and they did a poor job of putting on a new hand guard while it was there....it wasn't straight.     It is a marvelous shooter now, but it was a pain in the ass to get it that way.

i second that
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Ive found out something about my LR308 that I did not consider and paid no mind to..
The DPMS has no trap door, nor a deflector. One would think that is not absolutley nessessary......it is if your a left handed shooter. Them spent hot cases eject themselves back towards my right shoulder, neck, and face. It didnt take long for a couple of them to whind up on my neck and put a good burn to my neck...course, my wife wanted to know where I got the heckie from...took alot of explaining that it was from LR.......
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 6:41:41 AM EDT
[#29]
The LR-308 is available with the deflector, trap door and FA but not standard.  These items do however come standard on other models ie SASS, Mk 12, Oracle, LR-308L, Classic AP4....

DPMS has had some issues with tight chambers and bad magazine but overall I would venture a guess that DPMS has more 308 rifles operating smoothly than RRA has sold.  RRA makes a nice rifle but now that the AWB is over and done with (unless you are unfortunate enough to live behind the iron curtain still) the older magazine design isn't a positive item on the checklist of features between the two guns.  

To be 100% honest I think both are dead end platforms, DPMS because of the stupid radiused upper to lower receiver fit as opposed to the angled ft on the KAC, LMT, Mega, LWRC, LaRue, and others.

I have a couple rifles built on DPMS or DPMS style receivers and they function fine, I personally like the Teflon black billet look, but hey to each their own I guess.  If I were the OP though I would consider just building a rifle off either a SunDevil 308 or TM-10 with a DPMS upper or get the Mega MA-Ten receiver set.  Unless of course the OP was never a fan of Lego's growing up
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:26:23 AM EDT
[#30]
This is an order that I will be placing today. In the end (including shipping) I'll have a monolithic 21" AR 308 for approx $2,000.00

Rainier Arms:
MEGA MA-TEN 308 Monolithic Upper/Lower Combo $989.98
Noveske 7.62mm Barrel - 21"" $554.40
Armalite AR10 Bolt Carrier Group w/ Forward Assist $257.00
DPMS Panther Claw 308-TL-PRC$57.90
DPMS .308 Bolt Catch $9.50
Buffer Tube: Stag / CMT Receiver Extension for M16 Rifle $19.95
Armalite AR10 Buffer $18.00
AR10 Buffer Spring $8.00

Rock River Arms:
Rock River Arms Lower Parts INDIVIDUALLY PURCHASED $21.56

Joe Bob Outfitters:
RRA 2 Stage NM Trigger Group $90.20

Local gun shop with $100 gift card:
Magpul PRS Stock $155.01

Grand Total Including Shipping = $2181.50

The only thing I would need is a flash hider which I'm shopping for right now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Sounds like a winner.....post pics when the parts arrive and after assembly
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The LR-308 is available with the deflector, trap door and FA but not standard.  These items do however come standard on other models ie SASS, Mk 12, Oracle, LR-308L, Classic AP4....

DPMS has had some issues with tight chambers and bad magazine but overall I would venture a guess that DPMS has more 308 rifles operating smoothly than RRA has sold.  RRA makes a nice rifle but now that the AWB is over and done with (unless you are unfortunate enough to live behind the iron curtain still) the older magazine design isn't a positive item on the checklist of features between the two guns.  

To be 100% honest I think both are dead end platforms, DPMS because of the stupid radiused upper to lower receiver fit as opposed to the angled ft on the KAC, LMT, Mega, LWRC, LaRue, and others.

I have a couple rifles built on DPMS or DPMS style receivers and they function fine, I personally like the Teflon black billet look, but hey to each their own I guess.  If I were the OP though I would consider just building a rifle off either a SunDevil 308 or TM-10 with a DPMS upper or get the Mega MA-Ten receiver set.  Unless of course the OP was never a fan of Lego's growing up

As a matter of fact, I loved Legos!!!  I will look at building one.
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 7:31:28 AM EDT
[#33]
All,

Does anybody have any experience suppressing the RRA or DPMS offerings?  Since they are gas guns I would welcome personal experience while shooting suppressed and/or with subsonic ammo.  Any kind of option to know about, such as variable gas control, for subsonic versus standard gas pressures?

Thanks,

Phil
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#34]
I have had a DPMS AP4 and now Bushmaster ORC. Both have been 100% and eat everything I feed them.

Link Posted: 8/27/2011 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
All,

Does anybody have any experience suppressing the RRA or DPMS offerings?  Since they are gas guns I would welcome personal experience while shooting suppressed and/or with subsonic ammo.  Any kind of option to know about, such as variable gas control, for subsonic versus standard gas pressures?

Thanks,

Phil

There is a guy that shoots his mid length LAR-8 suppressed that posts every now and then in the RRA industry forums.  I believe his screen name is Devin.  If I remember correctly he said the only issues he's had is the bolt stop has broken twice.  RRA replaced it under warranty.  

The following was copied from a post on another forum regarding LAR-8 suppression:
"I have a 762-SD that I've been running on a LAR-8 308 and was wondering if anyone has heard of an overgassing issue with the Rock Rivers when supressed. I've shot about 80 rounds suppressed through the RR and ended up with a broken bolt catch. I talked with RR and they believe that the suppressor may be causing an over-gas condition slamming the bolt back harder and breaking the bolt catch. Not too sure that I buy that since the travel from a stopped position at the end of it's travel to the bolt catch is minimal with no real time for inertia to build up and cause a whole lot of damage.

Any thoughts on softening the suppressed force just a bit? Maybe a buffer pad? I wish Noveske would come out with a 308 Switchblock........

two different issues-

1. Rock River's gas port is probably onthe large side to function with weaker commercial ammo.

2. Adding a suppressor can overgas such a system, but the effects of this would be greater recoil, gas in your face, failure to strip rounds from the mag... if it's going to cause parts breakage, it would most likely be a bolt lug. i agree that the bolt catch should be reasonably safe.

I have not looked into the options for an adjustable 308 gas block... A switchblock would be perfect. anyone else, ideas?

I have the RRA lar8 A4 20" with rifle length gas system, free float tube and an AAC 762SD. I was having overgassing issues and the blast coming out of the action was extreme. I didn't experience any broken parts but I only fired 5 rounds and decided I should stop. Shooting Federal 168 GM match the brass was landing in another zipcode. I have tried one type of adjustable gas block that works via a set screw. BAD IDEA. They are not really designed for this application. I have also tried a 3 position gas block that has a switch on the side. There is no lock for the switch and sometimes it will turn itself to "off", no good. I installed a noveske switchblock 5.56 rifle length. The gas tube is .400" shorter on the switchblock than on the factory RRA tube. With the SB set on "S" I had a dozen failures of the bolt to lock back after the last round and one failure to eject for the first couple mags. I have had at least 500 rounds of Federal factory, German 175 gr surplus, 112gr-118gr-125gr-150gr-168gr handloads since the last malfunction without a hiccup (and without any cleaning). I must also state for the record that this rifle wasn't fully broken in before the SB was installed. There hasn't been any overgassing issues since I installed the SB and I would know right away as I shoot Lefty. I will continue to shoot this rifle everyday suppressed with the Noveske and 762SD ( without cleaning) to see what I can expect from it.

Google LAR-8 Suppressed and see what comes up.
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#36]
All,

Thanks for the feedback.  We were recently working on spring and buffer combinations to slow the bolt on my wife's pink CavArms SBR while shooting it suppressed when that project ended prematurely because the stock split along the top weld.  I figured to do my homework in advance of ordering my choice for an AR-10 variant.  Earlier I discovered something on the RRA site that I had not seen before - RRA LAR-PDS Carbine (Piston Driven System) (http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=442).  It has the admonition "WARNING: Do not fire the RRA LAR-PDS with a sound suppressor.  An RRA Suppressor Capable Gas Regulator is in development."  I will drop them a note, tell them I am interested in buying one of these rifles once they get that "Suppressor Capable Gas Regulator" functional and I will let everybody know what I find out.

If anyone has extensive experience with an AR-10 platform with specific suppressor and/or subsonic ammo recommendations, I would welcome them.  I know this thread is DPMS versus RRA, I hopefully added something with the piece above, but if you think it more appropriate to pose that question in a new topic, please advise.  Otherwise, thanks again for the quick feedback provided to my initial question.

Best Regards,

Phil
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
All,

Thanks for the feedback.  We were recently working on spring and buffer combinations to slow the bolt on my wife's pink CavArms SBR while shooting it suppressed when that project ended prematurely because the stock split along the top weld.  I figured to do my homework in advance of ordering my choice for an AR-10 variant.  Earlier I discovered something on the RRA site that I had not seen before - RRA LAR-PDS Carbine (Piston Driven System) (http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=442).  It has the admonition "WARNING: Do not fire the RRA LAR-PDS with a sound suppressor.  An RRA Suppressor Capable Gas Regulator is in development."  I will drop them a note, tell them I am interested in buying one of these rifles once they get that "Suppressor Capable Gas Regulator" functional and I will let everybody know what I find out.

If anyone has extensive experience with an AR-10 platform with specific suppressor and/or subsonic ammo recommendations, I would welcome them.  I know this thread is DPMS versus RRA, I hopefully added something with the piece above, but if you think it more appropriate to pose that question in a new topic, please advise.  Otherwise, thanks again for the quick feedback provided to my initial question.

Best Regards,

Phil

Phil, I'm the OP and I'm glad you added this to the topic.  Please don't feel you need to start another topic because I think this adds to the value (or de-value for some) of RRA.  I keep going to my store thinking I'm ready to pull the trigger and then I put it back and keep walking out without it.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#38]
juicemilton,

Thanks for the feedback.  We have lots of readers (200 today) and not many people making input.  I submitted a request for information to RRA and hopefully we will hear something back from them sooner rather than later.  I will follow up when I get anything.

Best Regards,

Phil
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't have any experience with RRA outside of "oh look a picture in that magazine over yonder."

As to DPMS - I picked up a DPMS SASS used off the EE.  Worked ok unsuppressed with some failure to eject.  Put on the Gemtech Sandstorm, and man... I was disappointed.  3-7 malfunctions per magazine.  Tried Federal GMM with no success.  Sent it in and they fixed it for me (after 8 weeks, their service guys went on back to back vacations extending wait times greatly).  Got it back and it's fine now.  I use the slashes buffer for AR10 suppressed.  Fantastic.

I wish the bbl was rifle length.  Also wish it had an adjustable gas block.  Those are things I can upgrade later.

The SASS stock barrel gives me an average of .60" at 100~ with best 5 shot group of .33.  Rarely over MOA and I attribute that to operator error (over moa).
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#40]
All,

Again, thanks for the input.  In response to a note I sent to DPMS:

Folks,

I am contemplating having my FFL order one of your .308 offerings.  I shoot suppressed weapons and since your rifle is gas operated I need to know if there is anything like the option to order the rifle with a variable gas control or some such thing so the rifle will properly function with a suppressor attached?  Same question if using subsonic ammo with the suppressor.

Thanks,

Phillip

I received the following:

Suppressors are illegal in MN, but here is the gas block that we recommend. http://dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=1396

There was no detail on that page, so I went to the JP Enterprises Adjustable Gas Block page (http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.6_gs.php) to further review their offerings.  I am passing these details along to hopefully benefit anyone else researching the matter.  Still no reply from RRA.

Phil
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 9:02:29 AM EDT
[#41]
All,

I'm an idiot.    The RRA piston rifle linked above is .223.    I heard that back from an RRA rep.  I have resubmitted asking about an LAR-8 with some sort of gas regulation in order to facilitate suppressed shooting and I'll follow up here once I get a reply.  Thanks for tolerating my goof!  

Phillip
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 1:10:45 PM EDT
[#42]
This is relative to my interests. I have a 16" RRA LAR-8 and have been thinking about buying a suppressor. Has anyone fitted a switchblock to one?

OP: I like the RRA, but haven't shot it on paper to check group size yet. The quality is good and the controls are excellent. I like the bolt release. It would be nice if it didn't take FAL mags, but that wasn't a deal breaker for me. The RRA was nose heavy, so I sent the upper to ADCO for contouring and fluting. Now is is balanced nicely. Can't say anything about the DPMS, I never shot one.
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 1:33:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This is relative to my interests. I have a 16" RRA LAR-8 and have been thinking about buying a suppressor. Has anyone fitted a switchblock to one?

OP: I like the RRA, but haven't shot it on paper to check group size yet. The quality is good and the controls are excellent. I like the bolt release. It would be nice if it didn't take FAL mags, but that wasn't a deal breaker for me. The RRA was nose heavy, so I sent the upper to ADCO for contouring and fluting. Now is is balanced nicely. Can't say anything about the DPMS, I never shot one.

Pics or the rifle doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics or the rifle doesn't exist.

I knew someone would post that. Here are some crappy pics for proof of existence. I'll remove the hand-guards and take pics later. That is where ADCO did most of the work. The contouring was necessary for fluting under the hand-guard. It is a pita to R&R the MOEs on the LAR-8 middy.

Link Posted: 8/29/2011 7:42:02 PM EDT
[#45]
eric496,

Wow, tough crowd.  Nice rifle and nice barrel work.  I'm thinking a challenge like that should elicit an automatic review of their posts and a requirement for them to back their assertions up, but that's just me.  Or maybe a penalty when pix are produced.  LOL  In any case, I haven't heard back from RRA but I will post back ASAP once I hear from them.

Regards,

Phil
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 6:41:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a matter of fact, I loved Legos!!!  I will look at building one.

The RRA is a good looking stick but again I will reiterate my suggestion of building.  Here's one I recently completed

I have under $1700 into this including everything shown (the scope, rings, 2 stage trigger, Harris bi-pod, finish and the disposable sprayer).  I plan on adding buis which will bring up the price to just over $1700 but still not bad for the price.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2011 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#47]
The RRA is a good looking stick but again I will reiterate my suggestion of building.  Here's one I recently completed
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab183/silverchev05/DSC01567.jpg
I have under $1700 into this including everything shown (the scope, rings, 2 stage trigger, Harris bi-pod, finish and the disposable sprayer).  I plan on adding buis which will bring up the price to just over $1700 but still not bad for the price.  

Nice looking rifle––Could you post up the specs/parts and what you used to finish it??
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab183/silverchev05/DSC01567.jpg

Nice looking rifle––Could you post up the specs/parts and what you used to finish it??

Lower:
Tactical Machining TM-10
RRA 2-Stage LPK
DPMS 308 Bolt Catch
DPMS Pivot/Take Down Pins
KNS Gen II Pins
Hogue Grip
Magpul PRS (308 Specific)
DPMS A2 Extension
DPMS 308 Rifle Buffer/Spring

Upper:
DPMS A3 Flat-top Upper
DPMS Phosphate BCG
DPMS LRT SASS Quad Rail
PRI Oversized Latch
Black Hole Weaponry 20" 3P 7.62 Barrel
YHM Low Pro Gas Block/Tube (rifle length)
YHM 7.62 Phantom Flash QD Mount

Primary Arms optics
C-Products Magazines
Harris Bipod
YHM Bipod Adapter
Duracoat Magpul FDE
Preval Disposable Spray System

I think that's it.  Like I said I would like to add some BUIS but since they're not necessary funds have been directed towards other builds for the moment .

BRD is a dangerous epidemic, you all should consider yourselves warned!

Link Posted: 9/1/2011 6:27:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Dude RRA and DPMS sell more 308s in month thats all those others guys sell a year.

Link Posted: 9/1/2011 7:56:25 AM EDT
[#50]
True but what I am saying is there is a trend beginning and that trend is the KAC style mag and the angled receivers (ie the original Stoner design for the AR-10).

In no way am I suggesting the OP not use DPMS style receivers.  I don't see them going away anytime soon but LWRC, LMT, KAC, LaRue, Mega, Seekins, (the list just seems to keep growing) all have an angled receiver and accept the same magazine.  DPMS lowers will work with the other uppers but there is a fulgly gap.  I personally think it would be in the best interest of DPMS to conform to the growing majority.  If they did, ArmaLite and RRA would truly be SOL.  It will probably never happen but it would be nice

That being said, if building is the plan, it doesn't get much better than the Ma-Ten set from Mega.  

TM makes a nice DPMS compatible lower as well as JD Machine, IRA, SI Defense and Sun Devil.  There are plenty of options out there, I just was pointing out the limits one puts on a build when choosing receivers.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top