Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2011 1:19:37 PM EDT
I am looking at getting a .308 battle rifle. Cost is somewhat of an issue as I would like to keep it under $2,000. My three options are;
PWS MK214 for $2,100
PTR91 for around $1,000
Springfield SOCOM 16 for around $1,500.

Issues would be availability and cost of magazines and reliability with various FMJ rounds as this would be a SHTF type rifle. Anyone use these and want to offer an opinion? I am leaning towards the SOCOM 16 right now.
I have heard the PTR91 has had issues with some kinds of ammo. Anyone care to elaborate?
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Why do you consider those to be your only three options?
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#2]
308 saiga???
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I was thinking a FAL...
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Those are the three that I settled on after doing a bit of looking around. Any other suggestions would be welcome. Out of the ones I looked at these were the ones I liked the most.
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
308 saiga???

I have heard that magazines for the Saiga were hard to come by and expensive. If this isn't true then by all means correct me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 1:48:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was thinking a FAL...

Link Posted: 8/18/2011 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those are the three that I settled on after doing a bit of looking around. Any other suggestions would be welcome. Out of the ones I looked at these were the ones I liked the most.

FALs would fall in your price range, and the magazines are readily available ~$15.

Link Posted: 8/18/2011 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

FALs would fall in your price range, and the magazines are readily available ~$15.

Certainly another option to consider. How are they on reliability with a wide range of ammo?
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't have extensive personal experience, but from all I've read and heard, they are solid, reliable battle rifles. Maybe others better versed in using different types of ammo can shed more light.
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was thinking a FAL...

yep
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Really,  you're not giving us much to work with.
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#12]
You might consider a 308 bolt action gun for a SHTF senario.   They eat just about everything and some are magazine fed.
For your price range you could get a decent rifle, rings, scope, drag bag, bipod, and some ammo.
They are not as cool looking as some semi autos but they are usually more accurate, more dependable, less stuff to break or loose.
Depending on the rifle, a bolt gun will probably be lighter too.   Weight should be a major consideration for a SHTF gun.
Just something to think about.
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was thinking a FAL...

yep

FAL or fail
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 5:26:48 PM EDT
[#14]
i have shot the SOCOM several times. has been on my wish list for some time now
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You might consider a 308 bolt action gun for a SHTF senario.   They eat just about everything and some are magazine fed.
For your price range you could get a decent rifle, rings, scope, drag bag, bipod, and some ammo.
They are not as cool looking as some semi autos but they are usually more accurate, more dependable, less stuff to break or loose.
Depending on the rifle, a bolt gun will probably be lighter too.   Weight should be a major consideration for a SHTF gun.
Just something to think about.

I looked at the new Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle. Very interesting, and it only runs around $700.
Really, the three I mentioned are a start point for me. They are not the only three I am considering. Any and all ideas are appreciated. I hadn't even thought about the FAL unitl it was mentioned here.
Keep the ideas coming
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 3:46:02 AM EDT
[#16]
What about a used rifle??  Have you looked around on Gunbroker??  I picked up a used LMT .308 for $2000 and it looked like it had hardly been fired.  I would keep looking or save a bit more.
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 5:50:03 AM EDT
[#17]
OP,
I have 10's of thousands of rounds down range with the M1A platform. The socom 16 is not going to be your best bet with m1a's because it has a stand alone gas system and barrel. IF you really think you want to go m1a then get a bush rifle . It will have GI parts available for EVERYTHING. And for a true SHTF rifle you will want to have back up parts. The only way you will have that for the socom is if you buy another rifle. Also, don't skip out on these magazines. If you go M1A get REAL magazines, they cost REAL money but WORK!

PTR is NOT a tested battle rifle. I have a friend who works for the company and he talks great things about them. BUT, like I said, it is not a tried and true BR.

That $2100 PWS is a nice rifle, but good luck carrying it around. Again, not a lot of parts kicking around for it either.

I think that you would be VERY happy with an M1A Bush rifle, a PARA model FAL from DSA or a bolt action remmy 700 in 308.

YMMV But, I have spent time with all the guns that have been discussed other than the PWS. And that's just because it is not as common as the others. Good luck and happy hunting or in your case, evading.  

Link Posted: 8/20/2011 5:55:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I was thinking a FAL...

I just purchased another one.  Haven't received a shipping notification yet, but it should be on the way.  IMO, for "308 battle rifle", you can't beat the FAL.  If you want a 308 sniper rifle, you may want to look elsewhere (I'm building a 308 AR), but as a battle rifle, the FAL is (IMO) unbeatable.

www.grabagun.com has the best prices I was able to find on the DSA FAL's.  You should have MANY choices below your $2k point, including Paras.

Link Posted: 8/20/2011 5:57:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Certainly another option to consider. How are they on reliability with a wide range of ammo?

FAL = AK reliability, with 308 punch.  Considered to be about a 2-3 MOA rifle, based on my understanding.  Well within the range of anything needed for a battle rifle (where "MOMan" will suffice).

Link Posted: 8/20/2011 7:48:49 AM EDT
[#20]
H&R Topper with spare barrels.
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Armaliote AR 10 Great gun at a great price.
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was thinking a FAL...

Fal with some DSA rails will serve you well .
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top