BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/7/2011 9:05:04 PM EDT
I got my first ASC mag from AIM Surplus today.  Here is the link:

ASC 30rd 7.62x39 magazine at AIM

Obligatory pictures

I loaded it up with 30 rounds of 1975 vintage Yugoslav M67 on stripper clips.  It held all 30 perfectly.  No jamming into the mag the 30th round like the CPs did.  The CP mag which is a darker black stopped at 29 from what I believe to be the Magpul ranger plate.  I kept it loaded to 25 for reliability purposes.

Dry cycling the upper several times it would FTF at the 20th round.  Downloading it to 26 rounds it cycled perfectly.  

Finish on it is a much lighter gray color than the CP mag.  Scratched up pretty well from when I opened it up from the bag, but I didn't care.  If I want it to look perfect I'll paint it one way or another, but it looked acceptable enough in my opinion.

It did drop free from my LMT lower both full and empty.

When testing follower tension it seemed like it was a stronger spring under the follower.

My range test will be conducted when I get a chance to go, but the specs of the weapon are as follows:
10.5" barrel carbine gas H2 buffer LMT S/A carrier w/7.62x39 bolt and M1S firing pin.
Registered F1 SBR LMT lower w/Vltor Modstock, ASAP, Ergo pistol grip
YHM Specter FF LW, handguard cap, and 30cal QD suppressor mount
Troy VTAC 9, Aimpoint R1/DD

Last time I shot this weapon it was with a CAR buffer but have since decided to try an H2.  It will be much nicer for longevity on the parts.

Range report soon.
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 1:23:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Thnks for the review,
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 2:36:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I picked up a few of these mags from Aim last week.  Now that I finally have my 7.62x39 upper, I'll be able to put them to good use.
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 6:49:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info, LMTR.  Looking forward to hearing the range report.  I like the matte finish of these mags compared to the glossy finish of my C Prod mags.
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 7:40:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I also hand cycled it with the 16" upper I have which is about to get sold.  It fed perfectly with 30 rounds, so I'm guessing just a little more polishing on the feedramps on my SBR is all that it will take.  I'll be ordering more of these magazines too and it's good to know that someone picked up where CP left off.  Time will tell, but it shows that the industry likes this caliber otherwise they wouldn't start making magazines again.
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 10:23:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, please give us an update when you finally live fire them.  I had two of thsoe HK copy Korean mags that looked great until I tried to shoot them during live fire, they found out they were cheap pieces of junk.
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a few that I received directly from ASC...

Mine are bright and shiny and not with the dry finish like the ones you posted.

I bought two 10 round and three 30 round mags.
It took a while to get them (and they cancelled my 32 round 9mm mags because at that point they were another 3-4 weeks out...long story...)

Range report.

They load up nice...the 10 rounders were tighter than the 30 rounders.
I first cycled through each and emptied the mags with one exception...round four on one of the 10 round mags bounced two into the chamber.
Cleared easily enough and two further reloads of that mag it did not reoccur.

They were loaded again and live fired.
No issues were found.

Since I have one...I threw the SSAR-15 mounted on a lower onto that upper and gave it a dance.
Spit out ever single case smartly and I experienced no FTF, FTE or any other issue.

In all, I am happy with them...I just wish they get their website updated to match their inventory and meet delivery promises....but I guess good things do come to those that wait.
I will be re-ordering the 32 round 9mm mags once they let me know they are ready to go.

Link Posted: 6/13/2011 6:38:14 AM EDT
[#7]
What brand of ammo have you folks found to feed best? Do brass case rnds feed better than the steel using the 30rnd ASC mags? Just got my Model 1  7.62 with an A3 and 20" bbl.  in this last weekend and have yet to give it a shakedown.
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 9:55:56 AM EDT
[#8]
All 4 of mine proved to be issue-free at the range this morning.  Rifle ran like clockwork with them.

Ammo was Barnaul zinc plated steel case, 123 gr. FMJ.

Link Posted: 6/13/2011 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#9]
PMC, Fiocchi, and Yugo M67. Will be reloading some soon trying to find a subsonic setup while I begin the wait for a YHM Ti 762. If the spring sends 30rds feeding at 123gr I hope it feeds 30 of 180gr but if I have to I'll download to 20rds to keep the weight of loaded cartridges same. Shouldn't be an issue but I want reliability.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Took the 10.5" blaster out to the range Friday....and I got the forearm hot enough that I wanted gloves.  Everyone here will like what I have to report

Additions to the gun since it's been run last: H2, Aimpoint R1, Daniel Defense lower 1/3 mount.  I fell in love with that optic Friday.

I ran some 1975 Yugo M67 thru the ASC mag and there were no failures to report about the magazine but there were 2 failures to fire on the first time using that ammo.  2 out of 30 tells me that I will be primarily shooting this stuff at the range and keeping the newer vintage 1987 to be run years down the road

It fed flawlessly.

In fact the range time I had I used some of my older CP mags some of which had Magpul Ranger plates and not a single magazine related failure for the day.  130 rounds.  30 in the ASC mag, 25 ea in the following CP mags.  This makes me happy.

I still have more mags to run through but I'd love to get my hands on some more ASC mags from AIM as they're only $16.  I will be buying more as soon as AIM gets them or they show up on Brownells site.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:07:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice looking rig, I am glad someone came around to making some good mags for so many people wanting to use this round in the AR.  When I got into the AR 762x39, 5 or 6 years ago, I did research on mags and only the Frankenmags would work.  So I searched and bought a stash of mags.  When I did Sub-sonic, I had no data to go by and tryed powders from slow to fast and luckily had no Kabooms.  So I will save you some time and error.  I post this on earlier years if you want to look them up.  Horn 220gr.RN  Win 296-9.5gr. seated at cannalure.  The first box fed good, but later boxes had nose covered with lead and the feed ramps would dig in.  No one had Sierra 220gr RN in stock and they look to have a smaller nose.  Speer 200gr. SP, Win 296-9.5 gr. OAL 1.75.  I have killed hogs with both, and with sub-sonic as heavy as you can stabalize.  Lil-gun works same as Win 296, and is what I use in my 300 Whisper with the heavies.  These are .308 bullets and barrel is Model 1, E R Shaw 1x10.  Always shoot new subs through paper with out suppressor to check stability.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Aim has a 10% off 4th of July sale and the ASC mags are out of stock.  That's some shitty luck right there...
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#13]
$15.95 or $14.36 still a great deal.  I bet they'll have these mags next year though
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
$15.95 or $14.36 still a great deal.  I bet they'll have these mags next year though

I paid $23 a piece direct from ASC. I believe it was the first run after the site launch.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top