Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2011 9:28:05 PM EDT
Has anyone here handled Remington R-25? Just wondering what your assesement of it was compaired to other 308 AR's. I have an oportunity to pick one up for a good price, but I was planning on holding out for a LMT, or LaRue. I know those are both better rifles, but the Remington is MUCH less expensive.
Link Posted: 5/31/2011 8:14:03 AM EDT
[#1]
The DPMS 308 Series, Bushmaster 308 and the Remington R25 are all pretty much the same gun with minor differences.  They're all great guns, but are a tier below the LMT's, Larues, etc.  Unless you are a heavy duty operator, or have a much larger budget that most of us, you'll be plenty happy with the R-25.

I run a modified DPMS and am very happy with it.

Link Posted: 5/31/2011 8:24:44 AM EDT
[#2]
This Tier shit is beyond stupid.  Get the gun you want, put the accessories on it you want and be done with it.  I have a DPMS LR-308 that does everything I want it to do.  It wears a Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 in a LaRue 20 MOA mount with a LaRue bipod and Magpul PRS stock with Geiselle trigger.  I could have afforded an OBR or LMT or whatever else I wanted, I got the DPMS because it does all I need it to do.

They are great rifles and anyone who knocks them with the Tier foolishness is more concerned with what the internet thinks.

OP, if you want to get one of the R-25's go for it.  It will serve you well I am sure.
Link Posted: 5/31/2011 8:50:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This Tier shit is beyond stupid.  Get the gun you want, put the accessories on it you want and be done with it.  I have a DPMS LR-308 that does everything I want it to do.  It wears a Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 in a LaRue 20 MOA mount with a LaRue bipod and Magpul PRS stock with Geiselle trigger.  I could have afforded an OBR or LMT or whatever else I wanted, I got the DPMS because it does all I need it to do.

They are great rifles and anyone who knocks them with the Tier foolishness is more concerned with what the internet thinks.

OP, if you want to get one of the R-25's go for it.  It will serve you well I am sure.

Maybe I should have clarified the "Tier Shit" as you so colorfully stated, as a price point.  For whatever reason, name, quality, horsepower, accuracy, the LMT's, Larues, KAC, etc are much more expensive than the DPMS/Bushmaster/Rock River/Remington.  Are they twice the gun because they are twice the price, I highly doubt it.  Is a corvette better than a camero (even though they have the same engine)???  I agree with you though, get the gun you want, accessorize how you'd like.  That's exactly what I did.  Unfortunately we can't negate the Tier effect, because as stupid as it is, it's there.
Link Posted: 5/31/2011 11:04:37 AM EDT
[#4]
The R-25 is an excellent 308 AR.  I'm sure that you are aware it is a DPMS 308 marked for Remington.  A friend of mine has one, and he needed to work a few bugs out (we believe due to the rifle sitting for a while prior to sale), but the rifle has performed excellently ever since then.  It is a true tack driver, and will be hard to beat for the price, especially if you are getting a good deal on it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2011 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I should have clarified the "Tier Shit" as you so colorfully stated, as a price point.  For whatever reason, name, quality, horsepower, accuracy, the LMT's, Larues, KAC, etc are much more expensive than the DPMS/Bushmaster/Rock River/Remington.  Are they twice the gun because they are twice the price, I highly doubt it.  Is a corvette better than a camero (even though they have the same engine)???  I agree with you though, get the gun you want, accessorize how you'd like.  That's exactly what I did.  Unfortunately we can't negate the Tier effect, because as stupid as it is, it's there.

Reading back over that, I realize it sounded like I was jumping down your throat I did not intend that to be the vibe at all.  I do apologize.  I am simply tired of everyone getting so bent out of shape over what name is on the side when in reality they are all so freaking close to the same that it comes down to the shooter.  Lets face it, any of these rifles can outshoot most of our abilities hands down.  A very small minority of the shooting population will get a real difference in performance between a DPMS/Remington/Bushmaster vs a LaRue/LMT/KAC rifle.

I can get 2 - 2.5 MOA out of my DPMS out to 500 yards if I do my part.  If I don't do my part, will having a 3k rifle make me a better shot?

That is all I meant by bashing on the tier stuff.  Sorry

Link Posted: 5/31/2011 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Unless you are a heavy duty operator, or have a much larger budget that most of us, you'll be plenty happy with the R-25.

If by "heavy" you mean over weight, and "operator" you mean answer phones, then yes this does cover me. Maybe I do need the LMT
Thanks for the info all.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 7:08:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading back over that, I realize it sounded like I was jumping down your throat I did not intend that to be the vibe at all.  I do apologize.  I am simply tired of everyone getting so bent out of shape over what name is on the side when in reality they are all so freaking close to the same that it comes down to the shooter.  Lets face it, any of these rifles can outshoot most of our abilities hands down.  A very small minority of the shooting population will get a real difference in performance between a DPMS/Remington/Bushmaster vs a LaRue/LMT/KAC rifle.

I can get 2 - 2.5 MOA out of my DPMS out to 500 yards if I do my part.  If I don't do my part, will having a 3k rifle make me a better shot?

That is all I meant by bashing on the tier stuff.  Sorry

No worries man, I think we're both on the same page.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless you are a heavy duty operator, or have a much larger budget that most of us, you'll be plenty happy with the R-25.

If by "heavy" you mean over weight, and "operator" you mean answer phones, then yes this does cover me. Maybe I do need the LMT
Thanks for the info all.

There are many ways to justify a purchase, I think this works......
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#8]
duracoat clear coat or brownells epoxy over the camo dip so it doesn't go to shit.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
duracoat clear coat or brownells epoxy over the camo dip so it doesn't go to shit.

So the finish isn't very durable?
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#10]
From what I have read, no dip finishes are without a proper clear coat.  The Remmy will just look older, fastet.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 2:57:14 PM EDT
[#11]
The R25 barrel is not threaded for a muzzle device, if that matters.  It does not have an adjustable stock, if that matters.
I like the Bushy ORC .308, if I could find one.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The R25 barrel is not threaded for a muzzle device, if that matters.  It does not have an adjustable stock, if that matters.
I like the Bushy ORC .308, if I could find one.

I'm starting to think this rifle isn't for me. I knew all of that, but combined with the finish that won't last it'll probably cost me more that planned. I was planning to thread it for a supressor. It's starting to sound like it wouldn't be cost effective.
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 5:08:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I've had the R-25 since February.  Have over 700 rounds through it.  Mostly my handloads.  It will give consistant groups under one inch from a rest at 100 yds.   I also put several hundred of LC 1968 150 grain FMJ through it.  It likes the heavier bullets in the 168 and up range.  For the price ($1,100) I don't think I could have done better.  I havn't had any of the finish come off yet even though it shares the safe with 18 of it's cousins!
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Ditto, though I have put a strip of electrical tape along the top of the stock to keep the CH from wearing through there a spot on the brass deflector like many people do.  My rifle is the best shooter in my safe and took a deer the second time in a stand with it.  I don't care if the barrel is threaded or not the way mine shoots!
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Is the gas block the same height as the receiver?
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Not on the one in the above picture
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 9:21:49 AM EDT
[#17]

I'm enjoying the hell out of mine. I changed the stock to a Magpul PRS, and the pistol grip to a Hogue.
For now, I have a BSA 6x24 w/ illuminated mil dot scope. Works fine till I can find a scope worthy of this rifle.
I've hit steel from 325 out to 500 yards and this is no lie, one shot one kill on a quarter at 100 yds. So yes, I'm very happy with this rifle.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top