Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2011 7:51:30 AM EDT
What are the key differences.  I know DPMS has a reputation for being a 2nd-3rd tier in the 5.56 platform.  Does this hold true for their 308s as well?  I like that the DPMS has a more (cheaper) mag choices.  Is the AR-10 more accurate out of the box?  There is about a $400-$500 difference..is the armalite worth the extra cash?  That money would be well put toward optics if I go DPMS route.  Thoughts?

edit: It does look like the armalite comes with a two stage trigger, so that knocks the price difference down to $200-$300..I would definitely upgrade the DPMS
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#1]
There are lots and lots of discussion about this on this forum.  There is this search function, you should use it.

Part of it comes down to:
Armalite:
Chrome bore
Lifetime warranty
Harder (longer lasting) upper and lower receiver
Canadian military contract (on one model)
And more, that can be found if you search the older threads on this.

DPMS:
Cheaper rifle
Cheap plastic mags available.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I did use the search function on this forum and it SUCKS.  I put in "DPMS Armalite 308"  also tried "LR-308 AR-10"  in THIS forum and it came back with exactly 0 results both times.  It will not let you try something different for 60 seconds.... worthless....thanks
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I was looking at the same thing a few months ago (lr-308 vs AR10).  I went with DPMS mostly because of availability of parts and magazines.  There is no standard for 308AR pattern rifles but it seems as if DPMS is a little more popular and easier to find parts for if you are building your own.  If you buy an Armalite complete upper and lower and put them together the prices are not too bad.  If you try to buy the parts to assemble an AR10 it will cost you a lot.  If you do plan to put together an Armalite check out DSG arms.  They have a gunsmith package for $842 that includes an upper,lower, bcg, ch and mag.   I also went to a few gunshops and handled AR10s and LR308s, and LAR8s.  The Armalite AR10s did not impress me.  The RRA LAR8s had the best fit and finish.  I just did not trust the fal mags.   I put together a lr-308 with a BHW 3R barrel, jp handguard for about $1300.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=413443
You check out the tacked link on the top of the forum? Got some good stuff, i don't know much on ar variants but just purchased a dpms lr 6.5 last week so im in the same boat.

Oh yea the search function does suck, it rarely does me any good.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#5]
^^Agreed on the search function.

I too am in the same debate, a DPMS vs Armalite.  However, I am very biased against DPMS ( and Olympic and Bushmaster but will use any of the above OEM for minor parts, go figure) because of the quality of product I have seen.  

That being said, I like the DPMS style more (mainly, SR25 mags/Magpul) and will likely go with the SR25 style on my build, prolly a MATEN
if I can find a reciever set at the Ft worth gun show this weekend.   What, if anything, I find there will greatly impact what I build.

BTW, I have heard nothing but outstanding things about the MATEN SR25 platform.  The additional fact that it lets me use almost any part
from Armalite or DPMS style rifles only makes it that much more coveted.

Good luck
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just did not trust the fal mags.  

Why would that be?  FAL's are one of the most reliable battle rifles, and their mags are a good part of that.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would that be?  FAL's are one of the most reliable battle rifles, and their mags are a good part of that.

I have no experience to base it on.  I just read a lot of negative posts about them with the LAR8s.  Seems that RRA is trying to design/sell a polymer mag and is selling reconditioned fal mags. The functionality seemed to be hit and miss and the costs for them have gone up as the supply has diminished.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Becareful, there are a lot of DPMS 308 fans here.  I myself would go Armalite.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Other than some minor extraction issues when it was new. Since that was cleared up my DPMS 308 has been 100 %. I just had to polish my chamber. It was tight but very accurate. I have since replaced the barrel to a 16 inch DPMS and it has been 100% also. I had about 1500 rounds out of the first barrel and I have around 2000 in the new 16 inch.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Love my LR308. It has been a great rifle. Mine has several thousand rounds (3000+) through it and the internals look new.

It is expensive to feed. It's heavy. It is very accurate. It is free floated.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 5:36:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I have two DPMS 308s, along with two stripped lowers. Here's why I went that way:

1. Better mags, with more variety. I really like the PMags
2. More vendors supporting the platform. I can get a wider range of uppers and components, for my lowers
3. Calibers beyond .308

Actually, I'm not the biggest DPMS fan, but their AR-10s aren't bad. Mine shoot well and are reliable. My R-25 (Remington-branded .308) doesn't like a few types of ammo, but will work reliably with good stuff. And my Sportical is less picky. But those are basic rifles, I went with DPMS because I plan on branching out into some of the other vendors. And, I do like knowing that I can add a .243, Creedmor, 7mm-08, etc. to the mix. If you don't like DPMS, there are a wide range of other vendors to choose from.

Honestly, I think either platform is fine. I just went DPMS, and now I'm staying with it. I have about 30-40 mags, and I like being able to swap stuffs across my herd.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It may have something to do with using FAL mags in a weapon that's not an FAL.

There are several levels of DPMS .308 AR rifles. Don't compare their cheapest level with another manufacturers top tier. I will put my DPMS LR308 SASS up against anything Armalite offers.

Jim
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It may have something to do with using FAL mags in a weapon that's not an FAL.

There are several levels of DPMS .308 AR rifles. Don't compare their cheapest level with another manufacturers top tier. I will put my DPMS LR308 SASS up against anything Armalite offers.

Jim

Like I said, lots of DPMS fan boys here.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't like the armalite because of the m14 based magwell.

I don't like the DPMS because of the extra height they added to the upper.

Personally I would build my own from parts, or just save and start out with a Larue.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#15]
There isn't really anything wrong with the DPMS LR 308 series of rifles. I knew a hand full of people that own them,have shot them,and they do exactly what they are supposed to.

I looked very closely at DPMS and Armalite before I plopped down my hard earned cash.

I have two AR 10s. Well worth the higher price,IMO.

And that's all I'm gonna say about that.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#16]
My first AR style rifle was a LR308B.  Ugly, 18" bull barrel, smooth UR. $70 SiMMONS SCOPE

My first re-loads EVER (PP brass, Sierra 168G HPBT, 44G Varget, CCI LR primers)

second 5 shot group @ 100 yds (fist was around an in. with some vert. stringing)

on a bench made form a old door and an el cheapo plastic benchrest:

http://nor-id.com/Host%20folder/308.jpg

Take it for what it's worth,
I personally would like to build a "higher tier " .308...  

... but why?
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 3:39:48 AM EDT
[#17]
That's amazing!  Only 30 degrees in Idaho on Jan. 6th........whooooa!
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 5:37:37 AM EDT
[#18]
When I was deciding on what platform to buy I liked the DPMS but could not get past the extruded 6061 upper.  I wanted a forged 7075 upper and ended up building a Noveske upper and ArmaLite lower.  I also prefer the time proven M14 style mags.  The price on the ArmaLite Gen II's is almost on par with Pmags if you shop around.

I think with the right choice of parts any of the platforms can be a accurate, reliable rifle.
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 5:50:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I've had similar/better groups from my DPMS SASS suppressed with a 4-16 Millett scope.  One of my favorite rifles to shoot.

My reasoning for getting it: more parts available for the SR-25 pattern rifle, and  they were accurate.  Heard some DPMS 308's had issues and happened to get one with some.  But also heard DPMS takes care of their customers, and they did take care of me.

I bought a second hand gun that needed work.  DPMS supported me.  It shoots good groups.  I've never shot an Armalilte, but will be soon as a friend has one.

Quoted:

The only thing you've done here is tell us you love Armalite, and prod at those who like their DPMS rifle.  Mind posting something worth reading?  Like your pro/con list and personal experience that led you to your decision on Armalite.  Have some class man.
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 6:02:46 AM EDT
[#20]
AR-10 upper on a MaTen SR25 mag compatible lower (once ADCO confirms they can do the mod on the upper at a fair price).
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 6:53:04 AM EDT
[#21]
I guess I'm a "fan boy", my LR308 AP4 seems to work flawlessly. Goes bang every time I ask it to with (so far) what ever ammo I've put through it. The only problem I had with the rifle was the trigger, it was horrible!  Like dragging a brick through gravel trying to pull that  thing, replaced it with a Spike's Battle Trigger, and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 7:34:42 AM EDT
[#22]
I have the DPMS LR-308 AP-4. I love it. Shoots great and is very accurate. I did polish the chamber myself due to some problems. Since then it has run without issue.
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#23]
My DPMS-based 308 is the best gun i have ever owned. shoots .5-.75 moa, loads of aftermarket parts, and PMAGs are nice.

Plus, its the first rifle i ever assembled from scratch. Surprised me at how easy it was... and how fricken expensive it was because i used quality parts. Probably have a little under $4k in it, including the glass...
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've had similar/better groups from my DPMS SASS suppressed with a 4-16 Millett scope.  One of my favorite rifles to shoot.

My reasoning for getting it: more parts available for the SR-25 pattern rifle, and  they were accurate.  Heard some DPMS 308's had issues and happened to get one with some.  But also heard DPMS takes care of their customers, and they did take care of me.

I bought a second hand gun that needed work.  DPMS supported me.  It shoots good groups.  I've never shot an Armalilte, but will be soon as a friend has one.

Quoted:

The only thing you've done here is tell us you love Armalite, and prod at those who like their DPMS rifle.  Mind posting something worth reading?  Like your pro/con list and personal experience that led you to your decision on Armalite.  Have some class man.

No, because theres no point arguing with people that don't listen.  It will end up as a Android vs iphone, Grendel vs 6.8Spc, my cars faster than your car.  Not going to pleasure you.  If your looking for a fight, look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, because theres no point arguing with people that don't listen.  It will end up as a Android vs iphone, Grendel vs 6.8Spc, my cars faster than your car.  Not going to pleasure you.  If your looking for a fight, look elsewhere.

Just because someone does not agree with you does not mean they are not listening.  It may just mean they do not agree with you. Debating the pros and cons of different platforms is one of the ways some of us make decisions on what to purchase.  I for one cannot afford to buy one of everything to see what I like best. Unfortunately I have to base some of my decision on the opinions and experience of others.

Link Posted: 5/26/2011 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Since you are participating in his thread, wouldn't it be worth listing for the OP'er?
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know much about Armalite AR-10s and was genuinely interested in your opinion about your rifle.

It doesn't have to be a confrontational or attacking write up about why one (DPMS) is crappy.  Really just interested in your rifle (AR10), and why you got it, maybe what you've done to it to meet your needs etc.
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just because someone does not agree with you does not mean they are not listening.  It may just mean they do not agree with you. Debating the pros and cons of different platforms is one of the ways some of us make decisions on what to purchase.  I for one cannot afford to buy one of everything to see what I like best. Unfortunately I have to base some of my decision on the opinions and experience of others.

I am tempted to say, but I respectfully decline.  I made the mistake of replying.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:39:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Why do these always turn in to pissing matches?

What I have learned about the different platforms is all of them can be very accurate and reliable.  The early Bushmaster had problems with the FAL mags and switched.  RRA seems to be making the FAL mags work fine.

ArmaLite was just lowered their msrp on mags to under $35, that's less than most any of the steel mags.  Pmags are great, cheap, but can't handle longer bullets that some hand loaders are using.  Seems like every platform has some small tradeoff.  Pick the rifle that fits your wallet and go shooting.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a DPMS LR-308.    24" fluted with a JP trigger.   Adjusting the trigger was shockingly difficult for a "factory" installed trigger, but once adjusted it is quite impressive.  When I first tried shooting my rifle it fired nice 5" groups at 100 yards . The mags that came with it also sucked and caused the gun to miss feed.   Magpul mags fixed that.

After a very long wait at the factory my rifle finally got a new barrel.   It now holds 2-3" groups at 500yrds with out much effort.  It is one of the most accurate rifles I've ever shot or own and that includes bolt actions as well.  

Dpms charged me for shipping both ways, but sent me a 2xL shirt to make up for it. Im an arfcommer, but a very fit one who wears an XL.

They also didn't properly align the new JP free float tube I had them install when it was there.. I've ordered the tools to properly do it myself so I know it will be right.

Did I mention I fucking love this gun?   Crazy accurate .    I would not recommend them because of the poor service and incompetence of the people working there.  .  Sorry DPMS.

I've since painted the barrel to match with alumahyde II.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top