Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2011 8:20:14 PM EDT
I'm looking at getting an large caliber upper as a dedicated hog gun and I've heard that since I don't reload that the .50 beowulf is the way to go.

But I was just on the Alexander Arms website and decided, on a whim, to watch one of the their videos, the video on the .50 Beowulf said that the maximum effective range of the round was 200 yards.

This true?
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 5:45:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking at getting an large caliber upper as a dedicated hog gun and I've heard that since I don't reload that the .50 beowulf is the way to go.

But I was just on the Alexander Arms website and decided, on a whim, to watch one of the their videos, the video on the .50 Beowulf said that the maximum effective range of the round was 200 yards.

This true?

I hit paper at 300 yards fairly consistent with my .50. Bullet drop at 36"-40" is pretty extreme with the Sierra 400g bullets I use. Energy is still above 1000 @ 300yds. After 300, I would say hell no unless you have a fancy bullet/powder combo load and 24" barrel. I would say that 200 yards is the ideal max range with 350-400g factory ammo. 275-300g bullets do wierd things ( corkscrew) after about 150 yards.
I now only use iron sights on my wulf because of the range issue, not to mention I have had more than one friend get scoped with the bushnell 3-9x I had on there at one time. Farthest I have had to shoot a hog with the beowulf was about 150 yards standing. Ever seen a hog do a front flip?
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#2]
The big and slow heavies are pretty much treated as brush guns. Sure you could set up a shot with a rainbow trajectory and get hits out to 600-700 yards or so, but your bullet is flat-out running out of steam at that point and lacks the energy to give reliable terminal performance. If you want to reach that far with a big fat projectile, you might want to consider a larger rifle and a larger cartridge.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 11:18:26 AM EDT
[#3]
A guy in AK shot a huge moose up there at 194yds with thr Hawk bullet out of his .50Beowulf.  Shot it once then followed up with another round to anchor the moose so it wouldn't run for the swamp.  If you know your range and have shot that range consistently, you can do it obviously.  But it is not really considered a long range cal.  Of course, they used to shoot .45-70 rifles using black powder and insane ranges at buffalo...

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 12:44:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I don't hunt anything but coyotes, but I've had no problems hitting steel out to 430 yards with several different loads. I can hit an IPSC head/torso target consistently at 400 yards. The first time I shot mine to sight in the scope on it, the closest targets were at 375 yards across an open meadow. We shot and watched for the dirt geyser, then adjusted. It took us 10 shots to work our way out to the steel, but once we got there it was like someone was whacking the steel with a ball peen hammer! Completely different sound than the Grendel or lighter calibers hitting it!

Wind complicates the issue some, of course.

Those .45-70 guys knew their rifles. Some of them are still used at 1 mile shoots! They shoot a big 6 foot gong.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 3:01:09 PM EDT
[#5]
200 is about right. The bullets just dont have enough BC/SD for long distance and its not really intended for longer distances anyway.
For smaller animals you could stretch it  a bit like to maybe 300-350 but it will drop like a rock.

If you need a longer distance heavy hitter on a ar10 platform set up  338 RCM. On an AR15 maybe a 338 WSSM.

Cant find the link to the AK moose thread but its a good read on Lars site from maybe 4-5 years ago.
He double tapped it in the shoulder at 200 yards and about 10-15 seconds later it just tipped over.
If I remember right it was 1500#.
He was using hawk bullets.

If I can find it I will post.

It was a massive animal.

EDIT: Here is a link to the story. It has links to the photos.

http://www.beyond556.com/bboard/archive/index.php/t-40.html

Link Posted: 4/12/2011 2:56:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe now is a good time to start reloading?  I started a few years ago and I love it, good quiet time.  I load 350gr Sierra bullets and I get less than 20 inches of drop at 300 yards.  I don't know exactly what it is, I was shooting at a steel plate at 300 yards that is 18 x 18 and I held just a little bit over the top edge of the steel and whacked it with every shot.  It was cool seeing the bullet fly through the air after about 250 yards.  I won't shoot anything past 200 yards though since that is where I am comfortable at this time.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 4:31:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe now is a good time to start reloading?  I started a few years ago and I love it, good quiet time.  I load 350gr Sierra bullets and I get less than 20 inches of drop at 300 yards.  I don't know exactly what it is, I was shooting at a steel plate at 300 yards that is 18 x 18 and I held just a little bit over the top edge of the steel and whacked it with every shot.  It was cool seeing the bullet fly through the air after about 250 yards.  I won't shoot anything past 200 yards though since that is where I am comfortable at this time.

I want to start reloading, I really do.

The simple fact of the matter is that I simply do not have the money to invest into the start up costs.
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 5:47:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want to start reloading, I really do.

The simple fact of the matter is that I simply do not have the money to invest into the start up costs.

Lee Starter kit: Lee Precision - $44 with the book. read the book.
Lee Pacesetter Beowulf Dies @ MidwayUSA : $31 in stock
Lee quick change bushing : $5.00 in stock at MidwayUSa
RCBS Case Lube: $4 @ MidwayUSA in stock
CCI 350 magnum large pistol primers box of 100 : $5.00 in stock @ midwayusa
Lee Beowulf Case length gauge and shellholder : $5.00 in stock @ Midwayusa
Lee cutter stud: $5.00 in stock @ Midwayusa
Alliant Reloader #7 powder : $22 in stock at MidwayUSA
Rainier 335g FP box of 100 : $28 in stock at midwayusa
Frankford Arsenal Digital scale with cup : $37 in stock @ midwayusa
Frankford Arsenal digital calipers: $18 in stock @ midwayusa
Spent brass - free!

Grand total of: $204 to get all the equipment you need and your first 100 rounds loaded. After that you will only spend $55 per 100 rounds.
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 8:40:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Great post GGGBeo!

I think we overcomplicate reloading sometimes, and scare people because they think the startup is so tough.

That is a great post to help understand that it really doesn't cost that much to get going.

Plus, that $204 builds 100 rounds of ammo! That makes the first 100 rounds cost $2/round, and after that they are 55 cents/round!

Heck, factory ammo is close to $1.50 round in its cheapest variant!

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top