User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 26
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure if this has been done or not yet, but I'm in the process of testing some tipless 100 gr Nosler Partitions.  The data I'm about to share may or may not be safe in your firearm, please start at 10% from minimum and work up.  Anyway; Brass:  Winchester/IMI with a H2O capacity of 32.50 gr after fire forming, Federal 205 or CCI 400 small rifle primers, Nosler 100 gr Partitions with tips clipped and smoothed to a flat meplat (weigh approximately 97.5 gr on average after snipping), minimum 26.3 gr and a maximum of 28.3 gr Hodgdon H322, and an OAL of 2.285" that fit into the PRi magazines I currently have.  Still trying to find a magazine that'll push out to 2.300" OAL.  Ballistic data is showing that at maximum load of 28.3 gr., the 97.5 gr NP travels at approximately 2779 fps and 1672 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle.  The data is +/- 200 fps from true chronograph readings that I have taken in the past and usually on the plus side.  I am also using an 18" BHW target crown SS barrel.  I will not be able to get to the range again until next Friday (2/16/18).  I also won't be able to chronograph anything yet because I don't own one that attaches to the barrel and the range I currently am a member at will not allow anything standing in the shooting bays or placed down range (other than targets).
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 5:40:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dr69er] [#2]
Another really good smokeless powder worth consideration is Lovex D063-2 (European, Made in Czech Rep. by Explosia/Shooters World Blackout (USA Distributer)...It
is very close to Accurate 1680 Ball Powder in many ways, so it should work very well in the .223 Rem/5.56mm NATO parent case...

https://shootersworldsc.com/reloading-guide/

https://explosia.cz/app/uploads/2016/11/reloading_Lovex_EN.pdf

For those who are willing to try this in their 6.5mm PCC uppers with various loads, please let us know via email or
PM and we will send you funding for purchase of a 1lbs. container and if in stock a sample of projectiles
to get you going...A load data sheet will also be sent as part of the package, all for FREE.

Thanks and stay safe while enjoying what you do.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hockeynick39:
Not sure if this has been done or not yet, but I'm in the process of testing some tipless 100 gr Nosler Partitions.  The data I'm about to share may or may not be safe in your firearm, please start at 10% from minimum and work up.  Anyway; Brass:  Winchester/IMI with a H2O capacity of 32.50 gr after fire forming, Federal 205 or CCI 400 small rifle primers, Nosler 100 gr Partitions with tips clipped and smoothed to a flat meplat (weigh approximately 97.5 gr on average after snipping), minimum 26.3 gr and a maximum of 28.3 gr Hodgdon H322, and an OAL of 2.285" that fit into the PRi magazines I currently have.  Still trying to find a magazine that'll push out to 2.300" OAL.  Ballistic data is showing that at maximum load of 28.3 gr., the 97.5 gr NP travels at approximately 2779 fps and 1672 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle.  The data is +/- 200 fps from true chronograph readings that I have taken in the past and usually on the plus side.  I am also using an 18" BHW target crown SS barrel.  I will not be able to get to the range again until next Friday (2/16/18).  I also won't be able to chronograph anything yet because I don't own one that attaches to the barrel and the range I currently am a member at will not allow anything standing in the shooting bays or placed down range (other than targets).
View Quote
Nick, good luck with your new loads...keep us updated with your progress when possible. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 6:40:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Dr69er:
Another really good smokeless powder worth consideration is Lovex D063-2 (European, Made in Czech Rep. by Explosia/Shooters World Blackout (USA Distributer)...It
is very close to Accurate 1680 Ball Powder in many ways, so it should work very well in the .223 Rem/5.56mm NATO parent case...

https://shootersworldsc.com/reloading-guide/

https://explosia.cz/app/uploads/2016/11/reloading_Lovex_EN.pdf

For those who are willing to try this in their 6.5mm PCC uppers with various loads, please let us know via email or
PM and we will send you funding for purchase of a 1lbs. container and if in stock a sample of projectiles
to get you going...A load data sheet will also be sent as part of the package, all for FREE.

Thanks and stay safe while enjoying what you do.
View Quote
@Dr69er

is there a cartridge gauge /chamber checker available?
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 3:05:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SmallTownGuy1:

@Dr69er

is there a cartridge gauge /chamber checker available?
View Quote
No, just not enough demand to make a rather large Investment Into them for now...
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Nick, good luck with your new loads...keep us updated with your progress when possible. Thanks.

Not really sure what's going on right now.  The first loads fed smoothly and then went to shoot the next set of three and the bolt wouldn't close all the way, not even with the forward assist.  I thought it was the magazine, but it's not.  Thinking it may be the ogive, but a bit skeptical about that because I tried one of my 85 gr loads through it and the same thing happened.  Now I am thinking it may be a carbon ring build up in the leade causing the rounds to jamb up.  Don't have a bore scope and I can't see it with a flashlight and naked eye.  Will probably just do a brush scrubbing and see what happens.  If that doesn't work, I may go to a lapping and if that doesn't clear it up, then it will be a new barrel.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Not really sure what's going on right now.  The first loads fed smoothly and then went to shoot the next set of three and the bolt wouldn't close all the way, not even with the forward assist.  I thought it was the magazine, but it's not.  Thinking it may be the ogive, but a bit skeptical about that because I tried one of my 85 gr loads through it and the same thing happened.  Now I am thinking it may be a carbon ring build up in the leade causing the rounds to jamb up.  Don't have a bore scope and I can't see it with a flashlight and naked eye.  Will probably just do a brush scrubbing and see what happens.  If that doesn't work, I may go to a lapping and if that doesn't clear it up, then it will be a new barrel.
View Quote
Yeah I would give it a good chamber scrubbing to see what happens and that should hopefully clear up the problem...I
may have a USB bore scope somewhere...? If I find it I will send it out to you Nick, just send me your mailing address
so I can send it out to ya.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Yeah I would give it a good chamber scrubbing to see what happens and that should hopefully clear up the problem...I
may have a USB bore scope somewhere...? If I find it I will send it out to you Nick, just send me your mailing address
so I can send it out to ya.

Good luck.
View Quote
Nick I found the USB bore scope, Its not much but it should get the job done for you...I would still scrub the chamber and re-test the
feeding and ejection cycle...I will send it out on Monday for you.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 8:54:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks!  Definitely going to do the bore scrub.  Going to let some Hoppes soak it for a bit and then some Sweets and alternate with some tight patches.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 2:15:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Nick

That sounds more like the brass is not sized enough.

Pull the bullet on one of those that wouldn't chamber, and try again.  If it still doesn't chamber, it's not the bullet.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Nick,

It will get to you by Friday.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 12:16:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I know this is a long running thread, but has anyone looked at the SSK Industries 6.5 MPC round?  It seems to be in the ballpark for what your working towards.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 12:19:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dr69er] [#13]
Originally Posted By j-place:
I know this is a long running thread, but has anyone looked at the SSK Industries 6.5 MPC round?  It seems to be in the ballpark for what your working towards.
View Quote
Yep, it was the SSK 6.5 MPC that led to the development of the 6.5 PCC round as the 6.5 MPC was not producing the numbers that SSK was
stating and it did not have hardly any load data support or any wide range of powders from the factory that showed any real development
that end users can be confident in...The SSK 6.5 MPC website has not been updated since around 2006/2007...Below is the load data
sheet you get from SSK, needless to say its very lacking and virtually no other info even when it was requested...

https://imgur.com/zSM28Ab

https://imgur.com/puJmPRb
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 12:25:56 AM EDT
[#14]
So where does the 6.5 PCC stand now? If a person didn't want to wade through 26 pages and wanted a summary, what would be the answer?

Where can brass be found? Is anyone making it?

What is the consensus for best bullet and/or weight?

Where can a person get reloading stuff?

Who's making barrels?

TIA!
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 12:44:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dr69er] [#15]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:
So where does the 6.5 PCC stand now? If a person didn't want to wade through 26 pages and wanted a summary, what would be the answer?

Where can brass be found? Is anyone making it?

What is the consensus for best bullet and/or weight?

Where can a person get reloading stuff?

Who's making barrels?

TIA!
View Quote
Think of the 6.5 PCC  as a 6.5 TCU for AR-15's with similar ballistics in a nutshell...

Best brass is Lake City brass which has the best overall case capacity as does WW and IMI.

Best bullet weights range from 85 grains to 125 grains or so...although even some 140 grainers
work well and are accurate.

Lee Precision makes the dies...Currently we are out of stock on the dies right now and are waiting
for restocking from Lee. 6.5 TCU dies will also work with very little modifications.

BHW makes the barrels (416R Stainless Steel, 1:8 Twist, 3 Groove Poly Rifling) in the length and profile
of the end users choice.

85 grainers max out @ about 3,000 fps., 100 grainers max out @ about 2,800 fps., 120/123 grains max out
@ about 2,500 fps., and some 140 grainers @ about 2,200 fps. or so. All velocities were from 20-24 inch Bbls.
Max COAL are around 2.295" or whatever you magazine can handle.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Think of the 6.5 PCC  as a 6.5 TCU for AR-15's with similar ballistics in a nutshell...

Best brass is Lake City brass which has the best overall case capacity as does WW and IMI.

Best bullet weights range from 85 grains to 125 grains or so...although even some 140 grainers
work well and are accurate.

Lee Precision makes the dies...Currently we are out of stock on the dies right now and are waiting
for restocking from Lee. 6.5 TCU dies will also work with very little modifications.

BHW makes the barrels (416R Stainless Steel, 1:8 Twist, 3 Groove Poly Rifling) in the length and profile
of the end users choice.

85 grainers max out @ about 3,000 fps., 100 grainers max out @ about 2,800 fps., 120/123 grains max out
@ about 2,500 fps., and some 140 grainers @ about 2,200 fps. or so. All velocities were from 20-24 inch Bbls.
Max COAL are around 2.295" or whatever you magazine can handle.
View Quote
Thanks for the synopsis.

How does the cartridge respond to short barrels? Does it work well in 11.5-12.5 inch format?
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 9:07:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dr69er] [#17]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:

Thanks for the synopsis.

How does the cartridge respond to short barrels? Does it work well in 11.5-12.5 inch format?
View Quote
It does surprisingly well with SBR length barrels as well...Expect about 2,700 fps with light weight pills in a 12.5" Bbl.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Okay..........  Finally had a minute to sit down and download some software for the USB borescope.  Couldn't make heads or tails of anything in the chamber area and am thinking I am going to bring my pen light from work home.  Darn bore looked nice though!!!!  I even resized 5 pieces of test brass and found that the crimp was a little loose, so tightened that up.  I had modified a 5.56 PRi magazine by taking out the front rib and now the rounds are sitting perfectly in the magazine with no issues what so ever.  Fed the first round in, no issues.  Second round, no issues.  Third round a little stiff.  Fourth round stuck, but ejected with a little more force.  The fifth round ejected with no issues.  Looked at all of the rounds and noticed that there is a burr somewhere in the leade because it was griping the bullet about midway down the shank.  I am going to run some chrome polish with a bore snake through it about 50 times and then see where we are after that.  While manually operating the charging handle for the test, there were no chambering issues and the bolt fully seated each time.  Hopefully will have time soon to hash this out and redo some rounds for testing.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Okay..........  Finally had a minute to sit down and download some software for the USB borescope.  Couldn't make heads or tails of anything in the chamber area and am thinking I am going to bring my pen light from work home.  Darn bore looked nice though!!!!  I even resized 5 pieces of test brass and found that the crimp was a little loose, so tightened that up.  I had modified a 5.56 PRi magazine by taking out the front rib and now the rounds are sitting perfectly in the magazine with no issues what so ever.  Fed the first round in, no issues.  Second round, no issues.  Third round a little stiff.  Fourth round stuck, but ejected with a little more force.  The fifth round ejected with no issues.  Looked at all of the rounds and noticed that there is a burr somewhere in the leade because it was griping the bullet about midway down the shank.  I am going to run some chrome polish with a bore snake through it about 50 times and then see where we are after that.  While manually operating the charging handle for the test, there were no chambering issues and the bolt fully seated each time.  Hopefully will have time soon to hash this out and redo some rounds for testing.
View Quote
I was going to suggest something similar...I'd run a .410 bore mop with some Flitz polish into the chamber/bore area
to help get rid of any burrs and such, then just repeat as necessary...

Good luck Nick.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:29:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Hello!  I have a project I am looking at doing and wanted to know if finish reamers are available? Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes, finish reamers are available at Dave Kiff at PTG...I would lend out our reamers but they are at our manufacturer
that makes our barrels...
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:51:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Does anyone make a Dillon style trim die?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:39:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Yes, finish reamers are available at Dave Kiff at PTG...I would lend out our reamers but they are at our manufacturer
that makes our barrels...
View Quote
Thank You Sir!  I appreciate the offer but cutting a chamber with only a finish reamer will pretty much ruin it, or if not it certainly won't do it any favors.  lol
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ehryk:

Thank You Sir!  I appreciate the offer but cutting a chamber with only a finish reamer will pretty much ruin it, or if not it certainly won't do it any favors.  lol
View Quote
Your welcome.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:20:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Doc, I noticed there was work on a 6.8 PCC. What stage is that in?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 12:20:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ehryk:
Doc, I noticed there was work on a 6.8 PCC. What stage is that in?
View Quote
Run out of cash to fund/order reamers and dies...also, my good friend Mark K. who eventually developed the .277 Wolverine which I gave some
help and advice was able to get the .277 WLV to market pretty quick and has done well, so the 6.8mm PCC stayed on the back burner as it was
pretty close performance wise...
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:33:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Doc, PM sent
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#28]
So I went ahead and got rid of the burr with a little polishing.  Loaded some dummy rounds at 2.285" down to 2.260".  All still stuck in the chamber!!!!!!!  I am scrapping the tipless NP project and going to move on to another bullet.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 4:44:15 AM EDT
[#29]
So I went ahead and got rid of the burr with a little polishing.  Loaded some dummy rounds at 2.285" down to 2.260".  All still stuck in the chamber!!!!!!!  I am scrapping the tipless NP project and going to move on to another bullet.
View Quote
You could get a throat reamer and lengthen the leade on it.  If you were so inclined anyway  ;)
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 11:07:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I stumbled onto this thread and have read half of the 26 pages worth of information.  This 6.5 PPC cartridge has me very interested.  It is now the end of 2019 and I don't see any recent info here or on other sites.  Is this cartridge dead or is there still work going on in the background?
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 11:51:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TWEAKD4:
I stumbled onto this thread and have read half of the 26 pages worth of information.  This 6.5 PPC cartridge has me very interested.  It is now the end of 2019 and I don't see any recent info here or on other sites.  Is this cartridge dead or is there still work going on in the background?
View Quote
Looking to modify the reamer design and looking find a more responsive reloading die manufacturer...All the
load data seen is still current. Health issues have put a real damper on further developments...

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 8:59:35 PM EDT
[#32]
So, I finally was able to get to the 100 gr Nosler Partitions with clipped tips.  Found some "hidden" carbon that didn't allow for proper feeding.  Also didn't find a load worth writing home about.  So.......... I am going to move on to Nosler 100 gr BTs and pull the tips on those to see what they do.  I have a Hornady 123 gr tip-less SST that shoots .75 MOA and may just live with as my hunting load unless the BTs can provide something better.  I have also been loading to a serious level, that I definitely don't suggest anyone else try, not really worth the effort.  Backing away from that maximum and going to use a fire formed case capacity of 33 gr and a SAAMI PSI for 5.56 NATO as a norm.  This puts all of the current load data right in the middle of safe loading practices.  I may also be able to get more than 5 loadings on brass before the primer pockets get too loose.  Good luck and stay safe!
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 6:51:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dr69er] [#33]
So, I finally was able to get to the 100 gr Nosler Partitions with clipped tips.  Found some "hidden" carbon that didn't allow for proper feeding.  Also didn't find a load worth writing home about.  So.......... I am going to move on to Nosler 100 gr BTs and pull the tips on those to see what they do.  I have a Hornady 123 gr tip-less SST that shoots .75 MOA and may just live with as my hunting load unless the BTs can provide something better.  I have also been loading to a serious level, that I definitely don't suggest anyone else try, not really worth the effort.  Backing away from that maximum and going to use a fire formed case capacity of 33 gr and a SAAMI PSI for 5.56 NATO as a norm.  This puts all of the current load data right in the middle of safe loading practices.  I may also be able to get more than 5 loadings on brass before the primer pockets get too loose.  Good luck and stay safe!
View Quote
Glad you were able to get everything sorted out Nick...Don't hot rod your rounds too much .

Both Nosler 100 gr. BT's and Nosler 100 gr. Partitions have proven to be accurate in the 6.5mm PCC with the right powders or combos...
Page / 26
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top