BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 52
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 10:59:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw it mentioned earlier in thread, I don't recall the brands though. IIRC their was at times issues with the take down pins not lining up 100%.

I actually read the entire damn thing. Never saw any mention of anyone using a Wilson Combat barrel. I'm curious as to how they would stack up to JP, Krieger, etc.?
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#2]
What bolt catch will work in a MATEN setup for .308 which will allow a BAD lever, or something like it, to be used?
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I know the  Phase 5 V2 308 will. I think the earlier reports of folks having to mod it were using the AR15 version. Personally I'd save the $$ and just use the ambi bolt catch unless it's a muscle memory thing. I have the BAD lever on a few of my AR's and to me they're meh. On a bench/prone gun I can see them really shining though.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 on the Phase 5 v2 308 as well as the pro's/con's.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 2:23:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know the  Phase 5 V2 308 will. I think the earlier reports of folks having to mod it were using the AR15 version. Personally I'd save the $ and just use the ambi bolt catch unless it's a muscle memory thing. I have the BAD lever on a few of my AR's and to me they're meh. On a bench/prone gun I can see them really shining though.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.

For me it's an ergonomics thing. I have limited range of motion in my left wrist so being able to maintain a steady grip on the PG and activate the BHO with my right index finger, while my left hand does the gross motor skill of pulling the bolt back, gives me a more secure hold on the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Gotcha; makes complete sense in such a situation.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Swapped out stocks. Got a bit lighter.

Almost exactly 10# as it sits.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#8]
^^^ Nice! What rail? I'm hoping to keep mine around 10#, not sure if I can swing it with the 18" JP barrel and full mass BC I'm considering though.

Planned build list:
Mega upper and lower - Have
LaRue MBT trigger - Have
LPK missing parts (Seekins) - Have
Fortis Switch 15" Rail (Mainly so I can do relatively quick barrel/caliber changes)
SLR Sentry 7 Ti Gas Block
BCM gunfighter grip
BCM gunfighter CH mod 3
JP 18" 308 RLG barrel/bolt
RCA bolt carrier
Vltor A5 RE, Tubb AR-10 spring, H3 buffer
Magpul ACS Stock
BUIS either KAC offset or MBUS Pro (Leaning toward the KAC, just not sure if my reasoning for it justifies the extra $100) - TBD
Comp Griffin armament 7.62 or BCM - TBD
Optic/Mount - TBD

Leaning toward foliage green furniture, I have plenty of black, FDE and a lone UDE AR build(s).
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 4:49:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Figured this might be the best place to ask because I have looked every where else to mixed answers. Does anyone know if a Maten billet lower will fit on an LMT mws upper. Looked at Rainiers page and it says that they have have the Mega lowers in stock.  I called Rainier and the customer service rep stated that the LMT upper will not fit the Maten lower. I have read on here before that someone at Rainer put the 2 together to check and it fit well. If anybody can help out, would surely appreciate it. Thanks in advance, RG
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#10]
SLR Solo ultralight Dpms high 15"
If I remember correctly.

I'd like to change the comp and gas block to lighter titanium ones but I probably won't.

If I had a RLGS I'd contemplate switching to a Titanium BCG, but the extra mass is helping it some I believe. I've got one in my lightweight AR15, and it's such a great shooter.

Quoted:
^^^ Nice! What rail? I'm hoping to keep mine around 10#, not sure if I can swing it with the 18" JP barrel and full mass BC I'm considering though.

Planned build list:
Mega upper and lower - Have
LaRue MBT trigger - Have
LPK missing parts (Seekins) - Have
Fortis Switch 15" Rail (Mainly so I can do relatively quick barrel/caliber changes)
SLR Sentry 7 Ti Gas Block
BCM gunfighter grip
BCM gunfighter CH mod 3
JP 18" 308 RLG barrel/bolt
RCA bolt carrier
Vltor A5 RE, Tubb AR-10 spring, H3 buffer
Magpul ACS Stock
BUIS either KAC offset or MBUS Pro (Leaning toward the KAC, just not sure if my reasoning for it justifies the extra $100) - TBD
Comp Griffin armament 7.62 or BCM - TBD
Optic/Mount - TBD

Leaning toward foliage green furniture, I have plenty of black, FDE and a lone UDE AR build(s).
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like my stand-by Larue mount is out of stock with no estimated time of production.

With that said, any fan favorites for a 2.5-10x44 Vortex PST that will allow for use with the high DPMS rail and NTCH shooting? 20MOA of built in elevation would be nice to boot, if possible.

Thanks

Eric
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:02:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looks like my stand-by Larue mount is out of stock with no estimated time of production.

With that said, any fan favorites for a 2.5-10x44 Vortex PST that will allow for use with the high DPMS rail and NTCH shooting? 20MOA of built in elevation would be nice to boot, if possible.

Thanks

Eric
View Quote

All my mounts are LaRue.... Never heard anything bad about American Defense, admittedly I have not looked for it either. They'll have your 20MOA, and pick the mount that will meet the height requirement.

Perhaps check the LaRue store on Amazon. I'm not sure if they ship from LaRue or Amazon; I assume Amazon since they are Prime eligible.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

All my mounts are LaRue.... Never heard anything bad about American Defense, admittedly I have not looked for it either. They'll have your 20MOA, and pick the mount that will meet the height requirement.

Perhaps check the LaRue store on Amazon. I'm not sure if they ship from LaRue or Amazon; I assume Amazon since they are Prime eligible.
View Quote

Thanks, I'll checkout Larue on Amazon as well as American Defense.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:11:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Not having much luck finding info for this combo...anyone running a Aeroprecsion M5 hand guard on a Mega upper receiver?
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:22:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Has anyone dealt with Mega customer service?

Currently have an ongoing nightmare with them and didn't know if this was the norm.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#16]
My experiences have been very satisfying. Can you elaborate the issue?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:17:55 AM EDT
[#17]
So, I'm wanting to start a build and I'm trying to decide which direction I want to go.  I really like MML and Megalithic uppers, but this rifle will be wearing a pig of an optic, so I'm looking to cut weight wherever possible.

So, weight wise, will I end up better off (lighter) with an MML/Megalithic upper?  Or will I save more weight by just going with the MATEN receivers and a different manufacturers rail?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So, I'm wanting to start a build and I'm trying to decide which direction I want to go.  I really like MML and Megalithic uppers, but this rifle will be wearing a pig of an optic, so I'm looking to cut weight wherever possible.

So, weight wise, will I end up better off (lighter) with an MML/Megalithic upper?  Or will I save more weight by just going with the MATEN receivers and a different manufacturers rail?
View Quote

Hard to say, what length are you looking at? Mega doesn't list the weight of the 3 length options on their website and with the sheer number of other available options..... If memory serves me correctly the SLR is among the lighter options short of going carbon fiber.

My plan is to run the 15" Fortis Switch weighing in at ~14oz; but that is mostly because I want to be able to do fairly quick and easy barrel/caliber changes. Same token I'm trying to build slow as funds allow so I can put (IMO) the best into it. Better options may come to market as I approach that point, so nothing is set in stone.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:10:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Hard to say, what length are you looking at? Mega doesn't list the weight of the 3 length options on their website and with the sheer number of other available options..... If memory serves me correctly the SLR is among the lighter options short of going carbon fiber.

My plan is to run the 15" Fortis Switch weighing in at ~14oz; but that is mostly because I want to be able to do fairly quick and easy barrel/caliber changes. Same token I'm trying to build slow as funds allow so I can put (IMO) the best into it. Better options may come to market as I approach that point, so nothing is set in stone.
View Quote

Well, the Megalithic is only 12" (rifle length) and I was thinking either the 12" or 14" MML.  If I went separate handguard wise, probably between 13"-15".  Rifle will have a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:42:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Sorry man, I totally glazed over the mention of the megalithic. Going that route you're only adding 10oz on top of the reciever set (30oz) but limiting yourself to the 12" hand guard.

If weight is a big concern, billet may not be the route you want to take. An Aero receiver set runs about 5ozs less, the builder set is nearly 1/2 the cost of the Mega. If I were doing it over that's the route I'd likely take, but I was in a hurry to beat the CA rush.

Rough guess my proposed build list posted above ought to come out to around 8lbs, (unloaded, without optic or mount) perhaps a bit less since I have to change those original plans up some to comply with new CA laws.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Changed my clone build up a bit
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Where did you get the gas block and who installed it?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:27:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Where did you get the gas block and who installed it?
View Quote
Operation Parts sells them, but they are a bit pricey to say the least . I had a local guy pin it and shave it, but any competent smith should be able to do the same.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#24]
bit pricey = understatement....

I built a SR25 clone using a preban upper/lower set.  Everything is KAC except the bolt, barrel, and gas block.  Not sure I want to spend that on a gas block but I also want it to be close as possible....ugh.
Page / 52
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top