Page / 52
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Fortis is also light weight. Love the switch rail I have on Mine
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think I've got a build list for my Form 1'd MATEN lower.

Please let me know if there's been any personal experience with these working or not.

Rainer 12.5" ultra match barrel and BCG

Carbine length gas tube and Seekins low profile adjustable gas block

PSA MOE AR10 build kit: http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-pa10-moe-plus-black-lower-build-kit.html

I'll top it off with a 51T brake mount for my SDN-6.

Still trying to find a rail that will work with the gas block and suppressor, any recommendations?

Thanks

Eric
View Quote

Ended up getting a 12" Troy Battlerail.

Just hoping there aren't any issues with adjusting the gas block once the rail and 51T brake is pinned in place. Guess drilling holes in the rail to gain access wouldn't be the end of the world.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Just hoping there aren't any issues with adjusting the gas block once the rail and 51T brake is pinned in place. Guess drilling holes in the rail to gain access wouldn't be the end of the world.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please let me know if there's been any personal experience with these working or not.

PSA MOE AR10 build kit: http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-pa10-moe-plus-black-lower-build-kit.html

Still trying to find a rail that will work with the gas block and suppressor, any recommendations?

Thanks

Eric

No need, it adjusts from the front, I ordered like a 6 inch long tool to adjust my gas block when I ordered mine.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 5:58:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No need, it adjusts from the front, I ordered like a 6 inch long tool to adjust my gas block when I ordered mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Eric

I figured the gas adjustment was done from the front, but isn't the set screw locked down on the side?
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 4:06:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is one I recently put together. I am waiting in a 18" light profile JP barrel. They (JP) is now making their 18" with a rifle length gas vs the mid length they had been making the barrels with. Should smooth the cycling out a bit.
I will post updated pics with the new barrel when I receive it.

Mega MaTen lower/Mega Extended upper (16" hand guard)
Proof Research carbon fiber 16" barrel w/SLR titanium adjustable gas block
Smith Enterprises Good Iron brake
JP Low Mass BCG
JP silent capture spring
AR Gold trigger
JP scope base
Leupold VX-6 Multigun scope
Vtac sling
Atlas bipod
Ace Socom stock

image hosting over 2mb

free photo upload
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 3:52:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Finally got the cam pin and firing pin retaining pin; took her out got the gas adjusted and a few rounds down range.  Zero issues.

Parts:

-Mega MATEN 2 Piece Upper Receiver + M-LOK (Mega Extended Rifle Length) 16”
    -Mega MATEN Ambi Lower
    -Criterion 20” SS
    -SLR Sentry Adjustable Gas Block
    -JP .850 Compensator muzzle
    -JP Enterprise High Pressure Bolt
    -JP Enterprise Stainless Steel Low Mass Bolt Carrier For Large Frame
    -AXTS Raptor 7.62 Nickel Boron Charging Handle
    -JP Enterprises Gen 2 Silent Captured Buffer Spring System
    -Diamondhead Aluminum Front&Rear Flip-up set
    -American Trigger Corporation AR Gold Flat Trigger (will decide which to keep)
    -Geissele SSA-E Trigger (will decide which to keep)
    -CMC 2Stage Flat Trigger 1-3lb (will decide which to keep)
    -Hogue Overmold Grip
    -Ergo Grip AT Beavertail
    -Accu Tac SR-5 Quick Detach Bipod
    -Magpul PRS Stock
    -Bobro 20MOA Dual QD mount
    -Vortex Razor HD II 4.5-27x56
    -AXTS Nickel Boron 45 ambi safety selector
    -PSA Magazine Catch
    -PSA Receiver Extension
    -Brownells Cam & Firing Pin Retaining Pin
    -Broken brand new NC Star bag being returned for Eberlestock e2b sniper bag
    -Cerakote

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Who would you all trust to assemble a MATEN build, including a blind pin/weld of a suppressor mount as well as some NFA engraving and refinishing?

I'm in NoVA, for what it's worth.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Finally done.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Gorgeous!

Rattle can?
How much did that rail run you, if you don't mind?
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Gorgeous!

Rattle can?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Gorgeous!

Rattle can?

Yes to rattle can. IIRC, the rail was 350, I got it off the EE with a new barrel nut, but it looked new when I got it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Just "updated" my Maten. Replaced the 16", mid gas, Proof Research barrel with a 18", rifle gas, light profile JP barrel kit. Have not had a chance to shoot it yet, but will update when I do.

image hosting site

adult photo sharing
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 6:23:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just "updated" my Maten. Replaced the 16", mid gas, Proof Research barrel with a 18", rifle gas, light profile JP barrel kit. Have not had a chance to shoot it yet, but will update when I do.

<a href="http://postimg.org/image/8w29tvar3/" target="_blank">http://s11.postimg.org/csflpuvqr/DSC01716_Copy.jpg</a>image hosting site

<a href="http://postimg.org/image/b1o2q1u0l/" target="_blank">http://s10.postimg.org/k9gb6r12x/DSC01720_Copy.jpg</a>adult photo sharing
View Quote

Any issues with the thermal dissipator fitting under the handguards & what is the id of the rail ?
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#13]
No problem with clearance. Not sure what the ID of the hand guard is, but there is plenty of room.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:48:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Finally go around to painting mine and just used it on a Caribou hunt, worked flawlessly!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:20:30 PM EDT
[#15]
This is my buddy's gun
12.5" mega middy 762 SBR
SLR rail, dead air brake, SLR sentry 7
Sandman S, Leupold 1-4
NiB BCG, JP silent capture
This was taken after the range trip where he broke the PSA mag catch on the second magazine

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 5:44:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Finally go around to painting mine and just used it on a Caribou hunt, worked flawlessly!!http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/MADK0W64/20160914_143221_zpsgewsxqry.jpg
View Quote

I'd like mine painted but mega's finish is so beautiful I'm scared to dick with it. Looks good though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Finally got the cam pin and firing pin retaining pin; took her out got the gas adjusted and a few rounds down range.  Zero issues.

Parts:

-Mega MATEN 2 Piece Upper Receiver + M-LOK (Mega Extended Rifle Length) 16”
    -Mega MATEN Ambi Lower
    -Criterion 20” SS
    -SLR Sentry Adjustable Gas Block
    -JP .850 Compensator muzzle
    -JP Enterprise High Pressure Bolt
    -JP Enterprise Stainless Steel Low Mass Bolt Carrier For Large Frame
    -AXTS Raptor 7.62 Nickel Boron Charging Handle
    -JP Enterprises Gen 2 Silent Captured Buffer Spring System
    -Diamondhead Aluminum Front&Rear Flip-up set
    -American Trigger Corporation AR Gold Flat Trigger (will decide which to keep)
    -Geissele SSA-E Trigger (will decide which to keep)
    -CMC 2Stage Flat Trigger 1-3lb (will decide which to keep)
    -Hogue Overmold Grip
    -Ergo Grip AT Beavertail
    -Accu Tac SR-5 Quick Detach Bipod
    -Magpul PRS Stock
    -Bobro 20MOA Dual QD mount
    -Vortex Razor HD II 4.5-27x56
    -AXTS Nickel Boron 45 ambi safety selector
    -PSA Magazine Catch
    -PSA Receiver Extension
    -Brownells Cam & Firing Pin Retaining Pin
    -Broken brand new NC Star bag being returned for Eberlestock e2b sniper bag
    -Cerakote

http://i.imgur.com/ypSS3Vx.jpg
View Quote

That is an awesome setup you have there!! I am on a backorder list now for the upper/lower combo with hand guard to build me a 6.5 creed. I plan on going with the JP barrel and BCG, Anyway, awesome gun, I really love it!!

Vortex! The only glass to look through!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Here's an early pic of mine from last year:

Mega MATEN MKM with the 11" rail
Rainier Match 16" 1/10
AIM Nitride BCG (Has worked perfectly)
A2 Stock with Armalite buffer and spring
IOR Valdata 4-14x scope in an ADM mount
Thunderbeast CB brake with CB9 suppressor
Geissele SDC trigger

It now has a Larue MBT trigger and I have a Slash XH buffer/spring on the way to convert it to a carbine stock.  Going to use a Magpul STR with the recoil pad.  I had heart bypass in February and with the A2 stock it hits my shoulder harder than I'd like.

At this point all it's been fed is PRVI 165gr PSP but once the new buffer/spring comes in it'll get some 175gr match and we'll see what it can do.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Trying to decide on a barrel.  Thinking of going with JP Supermatch 16" with high pressure enhanced bolt full mass BCG and silent captured spring.  I hear good things about the Rainier Ultramatch 308 barrels and I have 1 on my Mega AR15 build and like it.  Then of course you have Krieger ect ect.   Anyways, I'm looking for opinions for a reliable 16" barrel that I can squeeze all the accuracy out of while keeping it as light as reasonably possible.  When using the Rainier/Krieger  ect what are you guys doing to get proper head spacing for the bolt?  I like that with JP all that is taken care of.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought an 18" Criterion Hybrid barrel (10180-HYR) directly from Criterion. Bought both a JP BCG and spare bolt from Fulton Armory. Had headspace for everything checked at Rainier Arms.

Both Criterion and Fulton said that if headspace test failed, they would exchange. Didn't have to deal with it - both bolts liked the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 3:11:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Here's one that's been built for a short while

6.5 Creedmoor
Krieger barrel
APA little bastard
SLR adjustable gas block
SWS rail
JP LMOS BCG w/JP HP bolt
Geissele National match DMR
BCM CH
Magpul PRS w/QD attachment point upgrade
Daniel defense front sling QD
Atlas PSR
Atlas monopod
Seekins 45º saftey
Seekins mag release
Schmidt & Bender 3-27x56 H59
Tenebraex
GDI P-ROM
Vortex bubble level
Rifles only FTW

5 rounds 100 yards factory Hornady ELD 143grn

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Here's one that's been built for a short while

6.5 Creedmoor
Krieger barrel
APA little bastard
SLR adjustable gas block
SWS rail
JP LMOS BCG w/JP HP bolt
Geissele National match DMR
BCM CH
Magpul PRS w/QD attachment point upgrade
Daniel defense front sling QD
Atlas PSR
Atlas monopod
Seekins 45º saftey
Seekins mag release
Schmidt & Bender 3-27x56 H59
Tenebraex
GDI P-ROM
Vortex bubble level
Rifles only FTW

5 rounds 100 yards factory Hornady ELD 143grn
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/soclose4/Mobile%20Uploads/20161008_133345_zpss8jbj0un.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/soclose4/Mobile%20Uploads/P1000093_zpswak1cbcp.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/soclose4/Mobile%20Uploads/P1000087_zpsu4abpltl.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/soclose4/Mobile%20Uploads/P1000082_zpskm6ko2ce.jpg
View Quote

Well done! Lots of win in that one
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll ask here before I start a new thread.

So I'm still in my teething phase with my maten. Basically, when I pull the bolt to the rear and let it go home, I sometimes have an issue of not having the bolt lock. The round will chamber, but the bolt does not seem to have the force from the buffer and spring to lock the bolt in the chamber.

It is well lubed, and I have spent a while hand cycling the bolt to see if maybe it just needs broken in. Any thoughts on this? I did cheap out and just used a rifle lengt buffer and spring I had laying around, that I think came from Midway (or DPMS, maybe?) a long time ago.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So I'm still in my teething phase with my maten. Basically, when I pull the bolt to the rear and let it go home, I sometimes have an issue of not having the bolt lock. The round will chamber, but the bolt does not seem to have the force from the buffer and spring to lock the bolt in the chamber.

It is well lubed, and I have spent a while hand cycling the bolt to see if maybe it just needs broken in. Any thoughts on this? I did cheap out and just used a rifle lengt buffer and spring I had laying around, that I think came from Midway (or DPMS, maybe?) a long time ago.
View Quote

For what kind of rifle?

.308s are sprung a little harder than an AR-15.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I have purchased the mega maten up and lower for my build and was going with the troy industry mf306 13.8" quad rail but I don't know what to order exactly due to the rail height. I want them to be flush all the way across. Any help would be appreciated.

https://troyind.com/products/mrf308-lp-138-blk
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

For what kind of rifle?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For what kind of rifle?

It's the tube that came with my PRS. 18 inch rainier barrel. I'm thinking of picking up a springco or a tubbs and see if that doesn't help
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone know of anyplace that has the ambi 762 version in stock?

ETA: 762 version. I've checked everywhere. A local shop has a 2A Armament Xanthos in stock, and I may just get that one.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Ambi version of what? 5.56 or 7.62? You might try Rainier Arms.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Sorry - stupid response considering the (MaTen) forum...

Rainier appears to have monolithic receiver sets in stock.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Gents, looking for a lightweight keymod forend similar to the BCM Alpha with the 7 position forend.  The only ones I saw for the high DPMS was the UTG Pro Slimline

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#31]
smos arms has a 13" rail identical to the noveskse nsr(they make the nsr for noveske) that will fit the 308
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 1:52:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I've had good luck with SLR's products. In particular, their Hybrid handguard, which only has a top rail at the front and back of the guard.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 2:19:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Gents, looking for a lightweight keymod forend similar to the BCM Alpha with the 7 position forend.  The only ones I saw for the high DPMS was the UTG Pro Slimline...

Any ideas?
View Quote

2A Armament's Xanthos (DPMS High) rails are extremely lightweight at 9.9 oz and 10.5 oz with 7075 barrel depending on which cut you prefer:
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Guys I need an 11" Keymod or M-Lok style rail to replace my Rainier picatinny rail. Anything out there? I sent Noveske an email about a N6 NSR rail but I'm guessing I'd have to get a custom barrel nut made if they would even sell me the rail. This is going on a 12.5" SBR build so it can't be any longer.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Have everything atthe smith for my 12.5" Mega build and it looks like the 12" Troy battlerail is too long and covers the AAC 51T suppressor mount.

I'm now in the hunt for a 9-11" rail that will work on the MATEN (high DPMS height)

Any suggestions would be appreciated as the only option I can find right now is the 7.2" Battlerail which, while probably fine, is going to leave a bit too much barrel exposed for my liking.

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Eric
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#36]
SLR offers several options in the DPMS high profile. 9.5" or 11.5" might fit your needs.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
SLR offers several options in the DPMS high profile. 9.5" or 11.5" might fit your needs.
View Quote

Hmmmm, I think those might work.

Welcome to hear other options as well.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Just want to start off by saying I'm a new guy to the forum and have little to no experience on building an AR but I am an experienced shooter from my time being in the army shooting the m4, m110 and the m2010. With that being said I'm sure I'll have some dumb questions for you guys. I just did some trading and got me a mega maten chamber in 308 already built. It's an awesome shooting rifle but it's not exactly to my liking as far as components that were used during the build.
1st question this rifle has a adjustable 5 position magpul STR stock and I want to change that to the more traditional A2 fixed stock because that's what I'm more familiar with and like being able to ad my foam and tape to get it exactly how I want it or possibly a PRS style stock. What all do I need to swap it over? from what u have read it looks like i need a rifle length buffer tube and the stock   will I also need a new spring and buffer?

2nd question I just sent off for my tax stamp to run a can so I'm wanting to replace the non adjustable low profile gas block when I do would I benefit from a low mass BCG?

3rd question how in the heck do you guys post pictures
Maybe this works idk

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 10:11:19 PM EDT
[#39]
My two MATens 308 and 6.5c
Waiting on mount for 308 optic since i stole its during cerakoting for my creedmoor

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:56:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Sweet. Looks like a PRS stock on the one - what kind of stock on the other?
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:48:29 PM EDT
[#41]
About to take the plunge from building ar15s to building an LR308 style rifle. Read all these pages to see if there were any builds similar to what I was hoping to do (components to use).
To start the Maten set fits my bill so that led me here. I'm looking for a barrel that is more "combat proven" over match grade. Something durable and that will take a beating and last awhile. Was looking at Ballistic Advantage in a heavy 18" rifle gas system, or the Faxon. Any suggestions would be good. Also looked at the Criterion chrome lined.
Next, I'm really hoping I can make the Centurion CMR 308 rail work, it's DPMS high so I hope it will work, especially with an SLR adjustable gas block.
 Another part is I was hoping to try Lantac new 308 BCG. Noone seems to use one here.
 Like I said not looking for match rifle just a good durable rifle I can get good accuracy.
 As I go I'll continue with questions this is just the beginning
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#42]
A year ago, I started getting pieces together for a "budget build."  

I picked up a Mega Maten Lower, and figured I'd wait for a deal on an MLOK railed Mega upper.  Well that fell through.  I started buying stuff from the Equipment Exchanges on several different web sites.

Parts list.  
Mega Maten Lower (new) $275 shipped
Maten billet Upper (used) $175 shipped
Brownells 2 stage trigger (new) $60 shipped
DPMS lower kit without FCG (new) $20
MOE Grip (new) $15 shipped
PSA 7075 receiver extension $25 shipped
Magpul QD end plate $15
Brownells AR308 spring and carbine buffer (new) $25
Aim NIB BCG (new) $150 shipped
Ballistic advantage Midlength Melonite 16" barrel (new) $130 shipped
BCM pinned gas block $45 shipped
BCM Comp (used) $35 shipped
SLR MLOK Solo rail 15" (used) $125 shipped
Magpul ACS light Stock $50 shipped
Cost to pin the gas block $45 shipped

Total $1190.  For the parts, I think I did alright.  

Here's the barrel back from Marvin Pitts at Nefarious Arms.  I sent the barrel and the barrel nut, so he could install the nut first.  

Here's the upper and the clamshell vise block before going into the vise.  

I had to heat up the upper with a butane torch to massage the barrel in.  Nice tight fit.

While in the vice, it was stable enough to install the gas tube pin.

Installed the rail to and screws to 30 in/lbs.  I used my Yankee Hill machine upper block to make sure the rail and upper were in perfect alignment.

Comp and new crush washer

Knight's stick receiver extension tool to install the compensator.

Finished product.  Took about 25 minutes to assemble.  Much easier if you have all the correct tools.

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:12:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:05:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 9:36:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Anyone who's interested Rainier Arms has Mega Maten lowers in stock.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Who would you all trust to assemble a MATEN build, including a blind pin/weld of a suppressor mount as well as some NFA engraving and refinishing?

I'm in NoVA, for what it's worth.

Thanks
View Quote

SpecDive Tactical in Alexandria.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 7:00:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

SpecDive Tactical in Alexandria.
View Quote

Thanks, that's who I went with. Got the rifle back a couple weeks ago. Just need to mount a scope and start load development.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 3:16:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Got the sbr itch again.  Any 10.5'' uppers out there?  I tried looking and only see KAK pop up.  Are they the only ones that have complete uppers. thx!
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:26:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Huge thread and hard to search through, has anyone mated a maten lower with a non maten upper with good results?
Page / 52
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top