Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/1/2010 11:24:40 AM EDT
I think I want to get a RRA LAR-10 Varmint A4 ,what is the deal with them ? Are they as relieable as an Amalite T10 ? What is the down side on the RRA ? will I wish I bought the Armalite T10 if I got the RRA ? I like the ability to use Fal mags on the RRA . I can get the RRA NIB for $1199.00 landed ,$300.00 cheaper than the Armalite T10. Anyone have one and like or dislike it ? I can only do this once ,so I gotta get it right the first time . is there any benifit to the 26 inch barrel ? I will probably get it from Pete if I get the RRA .
Also why is it that DPMS,Armalite,and RRA use a 1 in 10 twist ,when Bolt guns in .308 use a 1 in 12 twist ? As far as I can tell a 1 in 12 is the best for 150 to 180 grain .308 rifles .
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#1]
bump, because i'm looking very hard at the same rifle myself. another thread on here spoke pretty highly on the platform, i guess we'll see
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I like both my LAR-8 varmint and carbine!
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I know what you mean ,I can't find much on the RRA . I will hang in there and see if anyone has any first hand experiance (reliababilty,group size,and such ) . I was hopeing for more than I like the 2 I have .
Quoted:
bump, because i'm looking very hard at the same rifle myself. another thread on here spoke pretty highly on the platform, i guess we'll see

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 7:10:47 PM EDT
[#4]
this subject comes up alot and to answer your question I dont know how tight a group the armalite will shoot . I dont own one , but I do own a rra and it will shoot moa with ball ammunition and sub moa with good handloads. It has never malfunctioned or misfired and comes with some nice features . I walked out the door with mine for 1050.00  . I have shot the other two closest competitors at the range and to be honest the trigger pull on the dpms was holding it back I think they are capable of good accuracy and now they have p-mags avalible if that means anything to you . there was a young guy that had an armalite that wouldnt function at the range . I helped him break it down and clean it the gas system looked like somebody had been shooting black powder anyway to make a long story short once we put it back together I run 20 rounds of winchester white box through it with out a hitch. I also think they have a few more accesories avalible than the rra . if you got mega bucks you might want to check out larue If not and your budget is under 1500.00 then I think any one of the three mentioned will do you well.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 8:54:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I will post a better review as soon as I get good glass so I can give a proper group size representation. I just shot them with a four power i robbed from my three gun riifle. I am scope poor right now. The brass does have some marks from the feed ramps.The feed ramps are very sharp, I may need to polish the sharp edges off. All of my 20 or so meteric FAL mags fit great and drop free in both the carbine and varmint.
I have only put about 40 rounds through the carbine, it ran without problems. I plan to run it a lot more as soon as finish preping all my brass. I was very surprised at the lack of recoil and how fast I could make follow up shots compared to my DSA FAL. Like I said I will write a much better review as soon as i get glass for them.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:09:35 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the input guys, i've pretty much decided to pull the trigger on the Rock River varmit. i'm thing 20" over 26", any pros and cons of the 2 barrels, i'll honestly never shoot it past 700 yards, so i figure that 20" is GTG. any thoughts and opinion are welcome
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 3:46:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I decided on the Armalite AR10T .I'm sure the RRA is fine ,but I just feel more prone to join the sheep in the Armalite camp .
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Here are some results and pictures of my RRA LAR-8's,  The mid-length has a Trijicon 3.5x ACOG scope with .308 ballistic reticle, It is great fun!

With the LAR-8 Varmint 26" barrel, I get some excellent results!  Every round fed fine.  I had no failures of any kind.

Temp = 77 F
Elevation = 2500
RH = 27%
Baro = 27.12 (station)
Distance = 100 meters (110 yards)

Here's a load using 155 gr. Lapua Scenars:

Winchester Case
Fed 210M primer
155 gr. Lapua Scenar
RL-15 44.5 gr

Here's a load with 175 gr Sierra Match Kings:

Winchester Case
Fed 210M primer
175 gr. SMK
RL-15 43.5 gr

This one was the best:

Winchester Case
Fed 210M primer
Nosler 180 gr. Ballistic Tip
RL-15 42.5 gr.
AVG. = 2624 FPS
SD: 15 FPS
ES: 39 FPS

Looks like the Noslers are the winner!  I only had 5 rounds, and all went into the same hole, as you can see in the picture.  

Here's a picture of the rifles:

Devin
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice shooting!
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 8:46:33 AM EDT
[#10]
WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT A 1 IN 10 WOULD PRINT  THAT WELL WITH A 180 GRAIN .
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:22:07 AM EDT
[#11]
After talking to Pete at Legal Transfers ,I ordered the RRA LAR-8 varmint a4 in 26 inch .I'm going to see just how good it is first hand .
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I think you will be pleased.  I had 2 Armalites.......the key word is HAD.......these LAR-8's are just amazing!  I've almost thought about selling my FAL's, because these things work just as well, shoot more accurately, and aren't as heavy.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
After talking to Pete at Legal Transfers ,I ordered the RRA LAR-8 varmint a4 in 26 inch .I'm going to see just how good it is first hand .

You'll love it.  My 26" LAR-8 is a one-hole machine.  Be sure to get some decent glass.  I'm going shooting in 3 weeks - I will try to remember to get some pictures of groups.  I just have so much fun, I forget to take pictures.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#14]
DEVIN, are these the Nosler balistic tip bullets you used to get that nice tight group  ?
NSL 30(.308) 180gr Spitzr BULLET BallisticTip 50/bx
Item #: NSL30180
Price: $18.79  
Availability: Out of stock
Vendor: Nosler Ammunition & Components

Quantity: (required)
Product Information
The Ballistic Tip® Hunting bullet's polycarbonate tip resists deformation in the magazine and initiates expansion upon impact. The fully tapered jacket and special lead alloy core allows controlled expansion and optimum weight retention at all practical velocity levels. The heavy jacket base acts as a platform for large diameter mushroom. Ballistically engineered Solid Base® boat tail configuration combines with the streamlined polycarbonate tip for extreme long range performance.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep, That's them.  I was surprised to see that group.  I just tried them out, because I had a bunch laying around from using them in my former .300WM.  I've shot a couple more group similar to it with the same load.  

I'm now experimenting with these at longer ranges and looking for a better load for the 155 gr Sierra's and Lapua's.

Please work up to that load, as your rifle may be different.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I would favor the 26 bull barrel for bench rest or shooting on a bipod, but not as a carry gun while hunting or personal defense. A 26" bull barrel adds some serious weight to an already heavy gun to begin with.  Do a comparison on the bullet velocity difference and see what change in drop there is for whatever distance you are shooting.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#17]
My plans for it are punching paper.
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would favor the 26 bull barrel for bench rest or shooting on a bipod, but not as a carry gun while hunting or personal defense. A 26" bull barrel adds some serious weight to an already heavy gun to begin with.  Do a comparison on the bullet velocity difference and see what change in drop there is for whatever distance you are shooting.

Yeah, mine is 16+ lb. with a full mag - nothing to tote around the wudz, but fine for punching paper.
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 10:51:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Devin,

How many rounds do you have throught your RRLR-8 mid?  and what kind of accuracy are you getting with it?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm approaching 2500 rounds.

Accuracy is MOA or less, depending on ammo used.  With match ammo I can get 1/2 to 3/4 MOA.  With surplus it varies.
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Cool. Have you had any feed or extraction trouble with it?
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#22]
No feed or extraction issues at all.

I did have the bolt hold open rod break on me around the 1000 round mark.  RRA quickly replaced it and I haven't had any issues with the new one.  I usually run the rifle with a suppressor, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top