Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/26/2010 4:04:29 PM EDT
Has anyone else had issues with exremely tight chambers on DPMS 308 barrels??
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Most guys have had good luck with new commercial ammo.   With old foreign surplus:   no so much.  Polishing the chamber is always a good idea.  

What are ammo are we talking about?   how new is the gun?   what are your issues?
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#2]
winchester and remington factory ammo would not seat in my brand new long awaited sass barrel
my gunsmith ran some go gauges through it told me my chamber was out of spec
it has already been sent off back to DPMS I have heard good things about their customer service so hopefully it will all work out
I own several DPMS rifles and have not ran into this issue before
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 6:18:22 AM EDT
[#3]
YES!!!  I sent my rifle back because the throat was so short I had cases stick in the chamber and not extract.  Sometimes if I could get rounds out of the chamber, the rifling was engraved onto the bullet indicating a VERY short throat.  There is a thread a bit further down about this issue.  

I sent the rifle back to DPMS.  I think what happened was that the throating reamer used on my rifle wore out prematurely, and wasn't caught quickly enough.  The result was that my rifle passed the test firing without the short throat being caught.  DPMS has had my rifle for a week so far, and I'm waiting to hear back from them about what they found, and the fix (if any).

If they figure that a throating reamer is good for X number of barrels, and the reamer wore out prematurely at X minus 10 barrels, then there would be 10 barrels sent out with short or otherwise defective throats.  I don't see this as DPMS's fault.  It would probably be a problem traced back to the maker of the throating reamer.  The most likely cause would be an improper heat treat of the reamer causing premature wear because it is too soft.

If they make enough rifles, things like this are bound to happen.  As long as they fix it and don't try to blame some weird, (I thought it was 'I' before 'E', except after 'C', but spell check says this is how you spell weird) unrelated, obscure cause (like the aftermarket trigger, or the sling swivel) I am OK with that.  Sure, I'm out the shipping costs, but hopefully they will at least say "Sorry", and maybe even throw in an extra mag for to offset the shipping...(Hey, it could happen).
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 6:35:34 AM EDT
[#4]
223 is to 5.56 like 308 is to 7.62x51....so hows the barrel marked ?
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 6:37:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I must be lucky or have had the reamer when it was still in spec.  My LR308b has had no issues at all except for one round whose bullet was just a bit further out than spec. I shoot pretty much all surplus and have had no issues at all that that one exception, and I've run about 800 rounds through this rifle, already.  Even with the surplus, I'm getting good groups at 100 yards.  Off hand this rifle is super accurate, especially after the new trigger was installed. I can rapid fire 20 rounds at a 10" plate of hand and hit it 18 times our of 20 time and time again with my Aimpoint ML2 red dot.   As said by the other poster, it's probably an issue with a worn reamer not cutting far enough.  I've contacted DPMS a couple of times with generic questions and have always received a prompt answer.  I'd give my rifle a 10 out of 10 so far and as I use it, it can only get better.  

Rome
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top