Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/11/2010 4:57:14 PM EDT
Anyone ever tried to modify a Magpul Magazine to a fit 7.62 x 39?
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#1]
As you may know, people do successfully use standard 5.56 magazines loaded with ~5 rounds of 7.62x39. Just now I loaded a few rounds of 7.62x39 in an unmodified 20 round PMag and, without actually trying to cycle the ammo in a gun, I'll say after about two rounds they look like they'll nosedive (i.e., probable FTF).
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 6:41:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a junk ProMag that I have tried to mod. So far It seems like it is working. That is with 5 rounds, it is a 10 round mag. I had replaced the follower originally so it would feed 5.56 properly...but for the 7.62 mod I had to remove the front portion of the anti tilt, so that the back of the follower can drop and let the front stay up. The taper on the 7.62 cases cause the rounds to nose dive if the follower goes down even. I also pushed out the "ribs" on each side of the mag body, because the ProMag is steel and the 7.62 needs more room to keep the cases from popping out. You might be able to reach inside the MagPul with a dremel tool and grind out the the areas I'm talking about.

Another thing I have noticed with plastic mags is the rails on the top of the mags are too thick. Keeps the bolt from stripping a round every time. I tried to mod a MWG 7.62 mag so it would work and thinning the rails helped get a more consistent feed, but still not 100%..I bet mag life will be short too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys,  I have use the 20rd before and thats why I was hoping I would be able to use a pmag...... wish Magpul would offer some other cal. Maybe the new 308 will be a hit and they'll expand to some others Like 7.62 x 39 lol.
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 3:02:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not just buy CProducts mags and quit trying to re-invent the wheel. It will save you a lot of frustration.
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why not just buy CProducts mags and quit trying to re-invent the wheel. It will save you a lot of frustration.

Not wanting to re-invent ........ its just no one makes a mag for this that looks worth a @#$T ......... CProduct is the best looking its' just too long for my taste wish it was shortened up a bit. and would be awesome to have the best mag on the planet (MagPul IMO) in a 7.62x39.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top