Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Posted: 1/24/2010 6:36:50 PM
Seems to be alot of new .308 semi auto rifles recently and was just wondering what everyone thinks would be in their top five?

My top five list:

1) LWRCi Repr:
2) LMT
3) Knights
4) LaRue
5) Magpul Massoud

A guy can always dream of owning any one of these, a little out of my price range though. Let's see what your top 5 would be? I know some of you have some of these so post pics if you have them.
cav_scout_tj
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2010 7:53:53 PM
[Last Edit: 1/24/2010 8:04:51 PM by cav_scout_tj]
you shouldn't really put the Massoud on there, thats vapor ware, and with the Masada mess, who knows IF it will ever materialize.

How about:

KAC M110
HK417
LWRC Repr
LMT
LaRue
JP LRP-7
Noveske N6
GAP
SCAR-H in there maybe

The KelTec RFB is an interesting piece of work too... looks pretty handy.
KevinB
KAC Mil/Gov Liaison
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2010 8:42:06 PM
I am a little biased as I work for KAC

However
1) KAC
2) LMT
3) Larue
4) FN
5) Hk

www.knightarmco.com

Without the neccessary toughness to apply training in adverse situations, the training is valueless
JPcactus
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/25/2010 1:52:36 PM
For looks:

1) Iron Ridge
2) HK
3) LMT
4) Larue
5) KAC
6) REPR
7) Armalite Super SASS
8) Noveske
9) JP
10) Sig
11) GAP

For fit and function:

1) Larue
2) GAP
3) Iron Ridge (only for Fit)
4) Noveske
5) JP
6) LMT
7) HK
8) Armalite SASS
9) REPR
10) KAC
11) Sig
Cabinetman
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/25/2010 2:08:50 PM
None of you think that ANY DPMS rifle deserves to be on that list?

Rome
545x39
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/25/2010 2:10:55 PM
1. FAL
2. FAL
3. FAL
4. FAL
5. FAL

Cabinetman
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/25/2010 2:18:04 PM
Ya know, I LOVE FALs and L1A1s. The most intersting thing to me, however, is that my DPMS rifle has virtually the same muscle memory as my FAL. Put either one in my hand and I can handle it almost automatically. The feel of it on my shoulder is also almost identical. But, I love the accuracy of the new rifle. Still, they are very much identical in may ways......imho.

Rome
545x39
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/25/2010 2:44:51 PM
Originally Posted By Cabinetman:
Ya know, I LOVE FALs and L1A1s. The most intersting thing to me, however, is that my DPMS rifle has virtually the same muscle memory as my FAL. Put either one in my hand and I can handle it almost automatically. The feel of it on my shoulder is also almost identical. But, I love the accuracy of the new rifle. Still, they are very much identical in may ways......imho.

I will say this: IMO nothing tops AR pattern rifles for ergonomics (with the possible exception of the charging handle).

stk016
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/25/2010 6:44:45 PM

Originally Posted By 545x39:
1. FAL
2. FAL
3. FAL
4. FAL
5. FAL

^this
TRIDENT1982
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/25/2010 6:50:09 PM
Originally Posted By KevinB:
I am a little biased as I work for KAC

However
1) KAC
2) LMT
3) Larue
4) FN
5) Hk

This
cav_scout_tj
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/25/2010 6:59:54 PM

Rome

DPMS makes a good product at a good price. It was Top ten bang for the buck, DPMS would be all over the list...

But this is the money is no object list. Think Lambrogini, Ferarri, Lotus, AustinMartin, Bugati and a bunch more I cant spell.

SHOOTER
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/26/2010 12:22:40 AM
[Last Edit: 1/26/2010 11:20:08 PM by SHOOTER]
1. KAC SR-25
2. FN SCAR-H
3. LWRC REPR
4. LMT 308
5. LARUE OBR

JoshAston
On the Raggedy Edge
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/26/2010 1:51:28 AM
[Last Edit: 1/26/2010 1:53:32 AM by JoshAston]

Originally Posted By cav_scout_tj:

Rome

DPMS makes a good product at a good price. It was Top ten bang for the buck, DPMS would be all over the list...

But this is the money is no object list. Think Lambrogini Lamborghini, Ferarri Ferrari, Lotus, AustinMartin Aston-Martin, Bugati and a bunch more I can't spell.

In no particular order

JP, KAC, FN FAL, LaRue, Noveske

I'm from Texas, what country are you from?
cav_scout_tj
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/26/2010 9:24:08 AM
Several people have just said "FN" , thats like saying Ford. Fabrique Nationale d'Armes de Guerre and current FN Herstal makes all sorts of things...

FN FAL
FN SCAR-H
FN AR
FN M240
FN Minimi7.62
jough43
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/26/2010 9:34:20 AM
Many of the rifles that made "the list" are new, with very little feedback and/or they are very expensive and not easy to obtain.
9divdoc
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/26/2010 11:01:03 AM
No love for Fulton Armory's offerings?
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell
Spartan117
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/26/2010 12:16:36 PM
[Last Edit: 1/26/2010 12:17:08 PM by Spartan117]
Originally Posted By jough43:
Many of the rifles that made "the list" are new, with very little feedback and/or they are very expensive and not easy to obtain.

Exactly what I was thinking. How many of those listing HK, LMT and FN (as in SCAR-H) have actually tried them out?

Of guns that are readily available:

LWRC
KAC
FN FAL
AR10 (extra points for a Noveske model)
PTR91
Those boards don't work on water. . . Unless you've got power!
JPB1
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/26/2010 1:11:24 PM
[Last Edit: 1/26/2010 1:12:19 PM by JPB1]
I'm not too suprised at these lists, but the title should be "top five most trendy/desired .308 rifles". Rifles like the REPR and OBR are damn nice but have hardly been around long enough to be fully vetted. The LMT rifle at least has one triumphant military trial under its belt, though it has yet to be relesaed to the public. I hope that all of these FNs are refereing to the FAL rather than the SCAR. Hardly a a large sample set of those either. Also, many of these listed rifles may perform great as a precision rifles (alot of HB AR types) but not stack up as hard use battle rifles.

1) FAL
2) HK91
3) M1A (w/good components)
4) KAC
5) N6
Andielouroo
2L
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/26/2010 1:45:32 PM
Originally Posted By JPB1:
I'm not too suprised at these lists, but the title should be "top five most trendy/desired .308 rifles". Rifles like the REPR and OBR are damn nice but have hardly been around long enough to be fully vetted. The LMT rifle at least has one triumphant military trial under its belt, though it has yet to be relesaed to the public. I hope that all of these FNs are refereing to the FAL rather than the SCAR. Hardly a a large sample set of those either. Also, many of these listed rifles may perform great as a precision rifles (alot of HB AR types) but not stack up as hard use battle rifles.

1) FAL
2) HK91
3) M1A (w/good components)
4) KAC
5) N6

I've got 500 or so flawless rounds through my OBR including mag dumps, 100 yards groups, and all the way to 1000 yard steel, and I'll say that FOR ME the OBR is fully vetted. I can see trepidation on the part of others to consider them fully tested though. That being said, based on fit and feel having at least handling all of these:

1) LaRue
2) LWRC
3) Iron RIdge
4) LMT
5) KAC
"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared." - Niccolo Machiavelli

FDS
daxifus
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/26/2010 1:52:35 PM

It's called the bandwagon.
Andielouroo
2L
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/26/2010 1:57:46 PM
Originally Posted By daxifus:

It's called the bandwagon.

I suppose you also consider semi-auto pistols the bandwagon.
"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared." - Niccolo Machiavelli

FDS
TREADMARKS
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/26/2010 2:02:31 PM
These are more my speed.

AR-10
FN FAL
FN FAL Para
M1A/M14
RFB
JPB1
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/26/2010 2:36:05 PM
Originally Posted By Andielouroo:

I've got 500 or so flawless rounds through my OBR including mag dumps, 100 yards groups, and all the way to 1000 yard steel, and I'll say that FOR ME the OBR is fully vetted. I can see trepidation on the part of others to consider them fully tested though. That being said, based on fit and feel having at least handling all of these:

1) LaRue
2) LWRC
3) Iron RIdge
4) LMT
5) KAC

Really, 500 rounds??? That's nothing. Hardly broken in. And, I'd be willing to bet that it was cleaned at least twice during that 500 rounds! There's alot of junk (which the OBR isn't) out there that can go 500 rounds with no issue (KelTec maybe...). I won't question the OBRs accuracy capability, that's been demonstrated. Iron ridge? Are their complete rifles even out yet? Their website says no. They sure make a pretty receiver though...Everyhting I've said about the OBR also applies to the REPR. Beautiful rifle, I wanna see one abused a little.
Andielouroo
2L
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/26/2010 3:42:23 PM
[Last Edit: 1/26/2010 3:43:24 PM by Andielouroo]

1) LaRue
2) LWRC
3) Iron RIdge
4) LMT
5) KAC

Really, 500 rounds??? That's nothing. Hardly broken in. And, I'd be willing to bet that it was cleaned at least twice during that 500 rounds! There's alot of junk (which the OBR isn't) out there that can go 500 rounds with no issue (KelTec maybe...). I won't question the OBRs accuracy capability, that's been demonstrated. Iron ridge? Are their complete rifles even out yet? Their website says no. They sure make a pretty receiver though...Everyhting I've said about the OBR also applies to the REPR. Beautiful rifle, I wanna see one abused a little.

Sorry that 500 flawless rounds through a 7.62 DI gun without any cleaning isn't sufficient for you to approve (Just cleaned it last night for the first time so I can stat load development this week.) Wait though, I never asked for your approval or condescending attitude. 500 rounds of precision .308 in 3 weeks is significant. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that 99% of people here don't shoot that out of their precision guns in a year. Feel free to throw your OBR/REPR/Etc.. out of an airplane, drag it through mud, and freeze it in a giant block of ice before granting your approval. However, for the type of shooting I do (purely recreational) it is tested. Additionally, as I said in my post, FOR ME, it is tested well. Read better, and spare me your condescending comments.

Also, as I wrote in my post, my 5 rifles was based on actually holding and playing with all of the rifles I posted, and the ranking was on fit and finish and features. Yes iron Ridge had a couple of complete guns at SHOT, and yes they are really nice.

FDS
JPB1
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/26/2010 4:18:28 PM

1) LaRue
2) LWRC
3) Iron RIdge
4) LMT
5) KAC

Sorry that 500 flawless rounds through a 7.62 DI gun without any cleaning isn't sufficient for you to approve (Just cleaned it last night for the first time so I can stat load development this week.) Wait though, I never asked for your approval or condescending attitude. 500 rounds of precision .308 in 3 weeks is significant. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that 99% of people here don't shoot that out of their precision guns in a year. Feel free to throw your OBR/REPR/Etc.. out of an airplane, drag it through mud, and freeze it in a giant block of ice before granting your approval. However, for the type of shooting I do (purely recreational) it is tested. Additionally, as I said in my post, FOR ME, it is tested well. Read better, and spare me your condescending comments.

Also, as I wrote in my post, my 5 rifles was based on actually holding and playing with all of the rifles I posted, and the ranking was on fit and finish and features. Yes iron Ridge had a couple of complete guns at SHOT, and yes they are really nice.

Sorry man, though I was just engaging in some light hearted debate in a discussion forum.That is, after all, inevitably where all "Top 5..." type threads end up going. I am glad that you made it through 500 rounds without cleaning it. That means something to me, not that you asked. Probably would have helped me, the one who's post you were responding to, understand where you're coming from a little better if you would have included that detail in your initial post. Anyway, good luck with your purchase.
Andielouroo
2L
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/26/2010 4:31:47 PM
Sorry if that was the case. I must have read your post completely wrong. Anyway, I only clean my guns when accuracy falls off. That being said, after load development I'll run my OBR without cleaning until it fails (I will continue to oil it though).

FDS
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2