Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/24/2010 2:36:50 PM EDT
Seems to be alot of new .308 semi auto rifles recently and was just wondering what everyone thinks would be in their top five?

My top five list:

1) LWRCi Repr:  
2) LMT
3) Knights
4) LaRue
5) Magpul Massoud

A guy can always dream of owning any one of these,  a little out of my price range though.  Let's see what your top 5 would be?  I know some of you have some of these so post pics if you have them.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#1]
you shouldn't really put the Massoud on there, thats vapor ware, and with the Masada mess, who knows IF it will ever materialize.

How about:

KAC M110
HK417
LWRC Repr
LMT
LaRue
JP LRP-7
Noveske N6
GAP
SCAR-H in there maybe

The KelTec RFB is an interesting piece of work too... looks pretty handy.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/25/2010 9:52:36 AM EDT
[#3]
For looks:

1)     Iron Ridge
2)     HK  
3)     LMT
4)     Larue
5)     KAC
6)     REPR
7)     Armalite Super SASS
8)     Noveske
9)     JP
10)   Sig
11)   GAP

For fit and function:

1)     Larue
2)     GAP
3)     Iron Ridge (only for Fit)
4)     Noveske
5)     JP
6)     LMT
7)     HK
8)     Armalite SASS
9)     REPR
10)   KAC
11)   Sig
Link Posted: 1/25/2010 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#4]
None of you think that ANY DPMS rifle deserves to be on that list?  

Rome
Link Posted: 1/25/2010 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#5]
1. FAL
2. FAL
3. FAL
4. FAL
5. FAL

Link Posted: 1/25/2010 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Ya know, I LOVE FALs and L1A1s.  The most intersting thing to me, however, is that my DPMS rifle has virtually the same muscle memory as my FAL.  Put either one in my hand and I can handle it almost automatically.  The feel of it on my shoulder is also almost identical.  But, I love the accuracy of the new rifle.  Still, they are very much identical in may ways......imho.

Rome
Link Posted: 1/25/2010 10:44:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ya know, I LOVE FALs and L1A1s.  The most intersting thing to me, however, is that my DPMS rifle has virtually the same muscle memory as my FAL.  Put either one in my hand and I can handle it almost automatically.  The feel of it on my shoulder is also almost identical.  But, I love the accuracy of the new rifle.  Still, they are very much identical in may ways......imho.

I will say this: IMO nothing tops AR pattern rifles for ergonomics (with the possible exception of the charging handle).

Link Posted: 1/25/2010 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

1. FAL

2. FAL

3. FAL

4. FAL

5. FAL

^this

Link Posted: 1/25/2010 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am a little biased as I work for KAC

However
1) KAC
2) LMT
3) Larue
4) FN
5) Hk

This
Link Posted: 1/25/2010 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Rome

DPMS makes a good product at a good price.   It was Top ten bang for the buck, DPMS would be all over the list...

But this is the money is no object list.   Think Lambrogini, Ferarri, Lotus, AustinMartin, Bugati and a bunch more I cant spell.

Link Posted: 1/25/2010 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#11]
1. KAC SR-25
2. FN SCAR-H
3. LWRC REPR
4. LMT 308
5. LARUE OBR

Link Posted: 1/25/2010 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rome

DPMS makes a good product at a good price.   It was Top ten bang for the buck, DPMS would be all over the list...

But this is the money is no object list.   Think Lambrogini Lamborghini, Ferarri Ferrari, Lotus, AustinMartin Aston-Martin, Bugati and a bunch more I can't spell.

In no particular order

JP, KAC, FN FAL, LaRue, Noveske

Link Posted: 1/26/2010 5:24:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Several people have just said "FN" , thats like saying Ford.   Fabrique Nationale d'Armes de Guerre and current FN Herstal makes all sorts of things...

FN FAL
FN SCAR-H
FN AR
FN M240
FN Minimi7.62
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 5:34:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Many of the rifles that made "the list" are new, with very little feedback and/or they are very expensive and not easy to obtain.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 7:01:03 AM EDT
[#15]
No love for Fulton Armory's offerings?
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 8:16:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Many of the rifles that made "the list" are new, with very little feedback and/or they are very expensive and not easy to obtain.

Exactly what I was thinking. How many of those listing HK, LMT and FN (as in SCAR-H) have actually tried them out?

Of guns that are readily available:

LWRC
KAC
FN FAL
AR10 (extra points for a Noveske model)
PTR91
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm not too suprised at these lists, but the title should be "top five most trendy/desired .308 rifles". Rifles like the REPR and OBR are damn nice but have  hardly been around long enough to be fully vetted. The LMT rifle at least has one triumphant military trial under its belt, though it has yet to be relesaed to the public. I hope that all of these FNs are refereing to the FAL rather than the SCAR. Hardly a a large sample set of those either. Also, many of these listed rifles may perform great as a precision rifles (alot of HB AR types) but not stack up as hard use battle rifles.

1) FAL
2) HK91
3) M1A (w/good components)
4) KAC
5) N6
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm not too suprised at these lists, but the title should be "top five most trendy/desired .308 rifles". Rifles like the REPR and OBR are damn nice but have  hardly been around long enough to be fully vetted. The LMT rifle at least has one triumphant military trial under its belt, though it has yet to be relesaed to the public. I hope that all of these FNs are refereing to the FAL rather than the SCAR. Hardly a a large sample set of those either. Also, many of these listed rifles may perform great as a precision rifles (alot of HB AR types) but not stack up as hard use battle rifles.

1) FAL
2) HK91
3) M1A (w/good components)
4) KAC
5) N6

I've got 500 or so flawless rounds through my OBR including mag dumps, 100 yards groups, and all the way to 1000 yard steel, and I'll say that FOR ME the OBR is fully vetted. I can see trepidation on the part of others to consider them fully tested though. That being said, based on fit and feel having at least handling all of these:

1) LaRue
2) LWRC
3) Iron RIdge
4) LMT
5) KAC
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 9:52:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's called the bandwagon.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's called the bandwagon.

I suppose you also consider semi-auto pistols the bandwagon.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#21]
These are more my speed.

AR-10
FN FAL
FN FAL Para
M1A/M14
RFB
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've got 500 or so flawless rounds through my OBR including mag dumps, 100 yards groups, and all the way to 1000 yard steel, and I'll say that FOR ME the OBR is fully vetted. I can see trepidation on the part of others to consider them fully tested though. That being said, based on fit and feel having at least handling all of these:

1) LaRue
2) LWRC
3) Iron RIdge
4) LMT
5) KAC

Really, 500 rounds??? That's nothing. Hardly broken in. And, I'd be willing to bet that it was cleaned at least twice during that 500 rounds! There's alot of junk (which the OBR isn't) out there that can go 500 rounds with no issue (KelTec maybe...). I won't question the OBRs accuracy capability, that's been demonstrated.  Iron ridge? Are their complete rifles even out yet? Their website says no. They sure make a pretty receiver though...Everyhting I've said about the OBR also applies to the REPR. Beautiful rifle, I wanna see one abused a little.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1) LaRue
2) LWRC
3) Iron RIdge
4) LMT
5) KAC

Really, 500 rounds??? That's nothing. Hardly broken in. And, I'd be willing to bet that it was cleaned at least twice during that 500 rounds! There's alot of junk (which the OBR isn't) out there that can go 500 rounds with no issue (KelTec maybe...). I won't question the OBRs accuracy capability, that's been demonstrated.  Iron ridge? Are their complete rifles even out yet? Their website says no. They sure make a pretty receiver though...Everyhting I've said about the OBR also applies to the REPR. Beautiful rifle, I wanna see one abused a little.

Sorry that 500 flawless rounds through a 7.62 DI gun without any cleaning isn't sufficient for you to approve (Just cleaned it last night for the first time so I can stat load development this week.) Wait though, I never asked for your approval or condescending attitude. 500 rounds of precision .308 in 3 weeks is significant. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that 99% of people here don't shoot that out of their precision guns in a year. Feel free to throw your OBR/REPR/Etc.. out of an airplane, drag it through mud, and freeze it in a giant block of ice before granting your approval. However, for the type of shooting I do (purely recreational) it is tested. Additionally, as I said in my post, FOR ME, it is tested well. Read better, and spare me your condescending comments.

Also, as I wrote in my post, my 5 rifles was based on actually holding and playing with all of the rifles I posted, and the ranking was on fit and finish and features. Yes iron Ridge had a couple of complete guns at SHOT, and yes they are really nice.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1) LaRue
2) LWRC
3) Iron RIdge
4) LMT
5) KAC

Sorry that 500 flawless rounds through a 7.62 DI gun without any cleaning isn't sufficient for you to approve (Just cleaned it last night for the first time so I can stat load development this week.) Wait though, I never asked for your approval or condescending attitude. 500 rounds of precision .308 in 3 weeks is significant. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that 99% of people here don't shoot that out of their precision guns in a year. Feel free to throw your OBR/REPR/Etc.. out of an airplane, drag it through mud, and freeze it in a giant block of ice before granting your approval. However, for the type of shooting I do (purely recreational) it is tested. Additionally, as I said in my post, FOR ME, it is tested well. Read better, and spare me your condescending comments.

Also, as I wrote in my post, my 5 rifles was based on actually holding and playing with all of the rifles I posted, and the ranking was on fit and finish and features. Yes iron Ridge had a couple of complete guns at SHOT, and yes they are really nice.

Sorry man, though I was just engaging in some light hearted debate in a discussion forum.That is, after all, inevitably where all "Top 5..." type threads end up going. I am glad that you made it through 500 rounds without cleaning it. That means something to me, not that you asked. Probably would have helped me, the one who's post you were responding to, understand where you're coming from a little better if you would have included that detail in your initial post. Anyway,  good luck with your purchase.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Sorry if that was the case. I must have read your post completely wrong. Anyway, I only clean my guns when accuracy falls off. That being said, after load development I'll run my OBR without cleaning until it fails (I will continue to oil it though).
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 2:51:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I agree with them all but will state the following:

I would NOW put my POF P-308 on the list! Yes, unbelievably the POF has now become not just accurate and fast but RELIABLE. How? They've figured it out with the roller cam and the addition of the PMAG. Never doubt the importance of the mag in a semi-auto weapon, especially a .308.

I'd put my P-308 up against any on the NOW.

Go ahead, bring it about POF if you're not yet up to date...
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I would NOW put my POF P-308 on the list! Yes, unbelievably the POF has now become not just accurate and fast but RELIABLE. How? They've figured it out with the roller cam and the addition of the PMAG. Never doubt the importance of the mag in a semi-auto weapon, especially a .308.

I was about to chime in this thread and ask where POF is....I have been eyeballing them for my first .308 AR and I am saving my pennies.

It appears their product keeps getting better and better.

Link Posted: 1/26/2010 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was about to chime in this thread and ask where POF is....I have been eyeballing them for my first .308 AR and I am saving my pennies.

Yeah, I'd like to hear more about the POFs as well. May consider trading one of my N6s for one. I'd like to see a thread comparing carrier tip wear of all the piston uppers, 5.56 and 7.62.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'd put my P-308 up against any on the list NOW.

Fixed.

Link Posted: 1/26/2010 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I'd like to hear more about the POFs as well. May consider trading one of my N6s for one. I'd like to see a thread comparing carrier tip wear of all the piston uppers, 5.56 and 7.62.

Carrier 'tilt' or tip is a non-issue in my POF, never has been. I think the .308's are not suffering the frequency of this issue that the 5.56's have. Either way the adjustments on the BC have fixed carrier tilt (LWRC's BCG is tapered and works very well).
The issue with the piston .308's has been cam pin gouging. No one could ever say it was a functional issue but the gouging bothered (for good  reason) a lot of owners. I think the cam pin scraping on the inside of the upper was slowing down the cycling ever so much to create some feeding issues. My POF is cycling very smoothly now and doesn't have feeding issues since the addition of the roller cam pin.

Before you run out to buy a roller cam for your DI AR's (I think they'd be a great addition, too) there's one problem: You have to remove the gas key to install it and remove it, each time on DI weapons, so its not a reasonable upgrade for DI weapons (it slips right in on the piston BCG)
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#31]
LMT .308 MWS

LR308 by GAP

LaRue OBR

SCAR-H

Link Posted: 1/27/2010 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will say this: IMO nothing tops AR pattern rifles for ergonomics (with the possible exception of the charging handle).

Speak of that does anyone make an AR with a side charging handle on the left or right side of the reciever  ??
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speak of that does anyone make an AR with a side charging handle on the left or right side of the reciever  ??

Repr
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 8:47:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
1. FAL
2. FAL
3. FAL
4. FAL
5. FAL

^this

I think the FAL Files are another forum.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
POF has a cut carrier key for DI guns that allows their roller cam pin to be installed.
 In 7.62mm its a non issue for clearance.

I will say that I will put our SR-25 EM Carbine up against anyone esle's gun in the business.  We've been building 7.62mm guns for a long time, and especially in the last year where we conducted some major R&D efforts into the 16" 7.62mm gun, I would say that we are head and shoulders above the competition.

If I can shoot 1,500 rds of 7.62mm thru our carbine suppressed with no additional lube and still have at least 3/4 MOA accuracy- tell me why you need a piston...

Where can I get one (in FL)? I need another .308 tack driver...bad. And...

I'm waiting on an RFB, as well. Its a 'fun gun', I admit, but having a bullpup .308 looks like a 'must have'. Kel-Tec hasn't let me down yet with the S2K or the SU16C i'm enjoying now. Not big on their pistols but these cheap rifles do what they claim...

Link Posted: 1/28/2010 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
1. FAL
2. FAL
3. FAL
4. FAL
5. FAL

Link Posted: 1/28/2010 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LWRC, American Spirit Arms make charging handles on the left side of the receiver. I believe that LAR and JP put them on the right side of the receiver. We (Kaiser) make one that the user can switch from the right or left side of the handguard. It can also be switched back to a standard charging handle at any time.

Link Posted: 1/28/2010 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
POF has a cut carrier key for DI guns that allows their roller cam pin to be installed.

I will say that I will put our SR-25 EM Carbine up against anyone esle's gun in the business.  We've been building 7.62mm guns for a long time, and especially in the last year where we conducted some major R&D efforts into the 16" 7.62mm gun, I would say that we are head and shoulders above the competition.

If I can shoot 1,500 rds of 7.62mm thru our carbine suppressed with no additional lube and still have at least 3/4 MOA accuracy- tell me why you need a piston...

The SR-25 would be my first choice if the price was a little closer to the other semi 308 rifles. I am not slamming your product as I own a SR15 E3. Just that they or out of the price range of the masses.

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 4:20:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I don't get the whole piston craze, either.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 4:59:38 AM EDT
[#41]
I always find these threads entertaining.

I can't justify buying one of each.  It would be nice to get a group together for a regional 308 shoot and let everyong try the different platforms.  I'm sure I would like many of them.

Because I shoot 3 Gun, I went with the JP-LRP 07 with the low mass operating system.  I'm very happy with my decision, but if I were using a 308 for defenese/offense purposes or to use in carbine classes for fun, I would have picked a different platform.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 5:56:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I always find these threads entertaining.

I can't justify buying one of each.  It would be nice to get a group together for a regional 308 shoot and let everyong try the different platforms.  I'm sure I would like many of them.

Because I shoot 3 Gun, I went with the JP-LRP 07 with the low mass operating system.  I'm very happy with my decision, but if I were using a 308 for defenese/offense purposes or to use in carbine classes for fun, I would have picked a different platform.

This^ is a great idea!

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#43]
No love for the CETME?

Jim
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#44]
No. 1: KAC SR-25.
The others are of no consequence
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:24:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
No love for Fulton Armory's offerings?

Who?

SCAR
REPR
FAL
M110
OBR
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:53:01 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

1. FAL

2. FAL

3. FAL

4. FAL

5. FAL

Couldn't agree with you more.  

Also have a M1A that has treated me well.

But for my SHTF reliable 100% of the time .308...it is a FAL Para 50.63

PS...so someone is listing the Magpul Massoud which has yet to be produced as one of the top 5????  ;)  Hope the list doesn't expire in 3+ years since that is how long it will take to see it...if we are lucky

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top