Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/12/2009 12:03:04 PM EDT
LRP-07 Range Report

I finally got my JP Enterprises LRP-07 last week.  After finding little to no information on this rifle over the past few months, I decided to write a review and range report for those that may be interested in this rifle.

Ordering:  I sent an email to JP Enterprises telling them what I wanted in regards to options for an LRP-07.  I quickly received a response from Brock with a quote.  Brock was the one that helped me through the whole process and he was great.  Every time I had a question, I would shoot him an email and always got a quick response.  This was a huge help because I was deployed when I ordered it and email was all I had.  I’m sure everyone else at JP would be this helpful if you get someone other than Brock.  I ordered the rifle, put the 50% deposit down, and began the wait.  After the deposit went through, I got a receipt/order form via email.  I ordered at the end of March and my rifle arrived the first week in October… the week before I got home from deployment.  Great timing JP!

The rifle comes packed in a cardboard box with JP’s logo on it and a “custom” cut foam padded interior.  The rifle comes with a DVD “Gas Gun Basics,” lube, a JP Enterprises hat, and JB bore compound.  In addition to the rifle, I got 3 extra DPMS magazines and the JP one piece scope mount (similar to Larue’s).  Everything was packed neatly in the box and survived the shipment perfectly.  My rifle’s specs are below:

18” Lightweight contour barrel
Black Teflon finish
Ace ARFX stock
Hogue grip
Black “Heatsink”

When I got home from my FFL I mounted a Trijicon Accupoint TR24 1-4x24 that had been sitting patiently in my safe on the rifle.  JP does not exaggerate when they say that the 18” version feels like an average size “small frame” AR.  It is very light and quick handling.  It comes to the shoulder easy and is much more manageable than other .308 AR’s I have handled.  I don’t have a scale but the LRP-07 weighs about the same as my RRA Predator Pursuit AR.  The left side charging handle is very convenient and works as advertised.  It takes a little getting used to after being accustomed to a regular AR charging handle and is a little stiff at first, but smoothes out the more you use it.  The takedown pins are very tight and required a few taps with a plastic punch to get them out but this just goes to show how tight a fit the upper and lower are.  There is absolutely no play between the two.  The quality of the receiver is obvious when you take it apart.  It is very robust and locks up perfect.  The JP scope mount put the Accupoint scope at the perfect eye level and allowed for a wide range of eye relief.  

At the range: I started out at 25 yds to make sure I was on paper and got a very nice surprise.  Either I got very lucky, or the construction of the rifle, scope mount, and scope are just that good, but my first shot was about 6” low and dead center.  I brought the POI up a few inches then went out to 100 yds to fine tune the scope.  Shooting handloads with 168gr SMK over 45.0gr of H380 and factory Federal 168gr Gold Medal loads I was able to shoot several 5 shot groups with 3 shots touching (0.4” groups) and the other 2 shots opening the group up to 1”-1.5”.  I was using the JP sight-in targets (2” squares) with the scope on 4x.  

At 100yds the cross hairs almost completely covered the bullseye which is why I was not able to keep all 5 shots tighter.  I think with a larger bullseye I would do better because I will be able to keep the crosshairs in the same spot each time.  I have no doubt that with a higher power scope it would be easy to keep all 5 shots around 1/2”.  Recoil was very light and the trigger was perfect.  I don’t have a scale but it feels right around 3 lbs with hardly any take up and no overtravel.  The Bennie Coolie muzzle break is extremely effective but of course it is pretty loud.  I only put 35 rounds through the rifle but function was flawless.  I cleaned the barrel after the first 15 shots.  The first group after cleaning (with one fouling shot) was the tightest I shot that day but the subsequent groups were only slightly larger.  I followed the “break-in” procedure outlined in the JP manual that came with the rifle.  

The rifle is awesome.  I plan on using it for Heavy Metal class and just as a general purpose rifle and I couldn’t be happier.  Hope this was helpful to all of you interested in this rifle and unable to find a lot of info on it.  If you have the time wait and the cash I would absolutely recommend it!

Link Posted: 10/12/2009 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had JP work on my DPMS ARs and could not be happier-also have a DP .308 JP tweaked, and am also very happy.

Just a comment-I see your rifle is posed on short lengths of log. NEVER use the cut end of a log for a target backer-green wood can cause ricochets like you would not believe. Ask me how I know THAT! Rifle and especially handgun bullets seem to bounce right off the cut end of a green log.
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have had JP work on my DPMS ARs and could not be happier-also have a DP .308 JP tweaked, and am also very happy.

Just a comment-I see your rifle is posed on short lengths of log. NEVER use the cut end of a log for a target backer-green wood can cause ricochets like you would not believe. Ask me how I know THAT! Rifle and especially handgun bullets seem to bounce right off the cut end of a green log.

good to know about shooting at logs, don't worry that's my backyard, not the range where i shoot (unfortunately).

one more pic...
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.  I've had mine about a month and I haven't had time to get it out yet.  I still need to get mags and ammo.

I have the CTR-02 as well.

It really leaves you wanting no other.

Now if JP only made a 6.8 SBR..........
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#4]
JP makes the best AR rifles available IMHO.  I built a complete rifle from DPMS and JP parts.  It is quite accurate and it's about as light as  an M-4.  A friend was so impressed by it that he ordered one of the new JP 308 rifles and was so impressed by that one that he ordered another.  He used his first JP .308 to win the egg shoot side match at the ITRC after using it to shoot the entire match.  I wish I could afford to replace all my ARs with JP rifles.  

Here's a pic of my homebuilt DPMS/JP.  I've put 10 rounds into one 5/8" ragged hole at 100 yards with it.  

The best part is that I built it with the funds I got for selling my uber heavy AR-10T.
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#5]

thans for the write up.  I would love to have one or two of those hanging at my place.
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quick question, this takes DPMS mags and Armalite style uppers correct?

Link Posted: 10/15/2009 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#7]
not sure about the uppers but yes it does take the DPMS mags.  now if only Magpul would get cranking on those new .308 PMAGS...
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 6:37:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

not sure about the uppers but yes it does take the DPMS mags.  now if only Magpul would get cranking on those new .308 PMAGS...

I guess it's a moot point anyway.  I just got an e-mail back from them, they only sell the LRP as a complete rifle.

Link Posted: 1/7/2010 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thought I would bump this post up.  Obviously you know the 308 pmags our out now.  What is the weight of the JP rifle as shown?  JP does not publish the spec on their website.  

Now that Larue has the new OBR out and priced at $3K it puts both of them in the same price range.  Not so sure I wouldn't rather have this rifle although they appear to have different purposes.  Anybody else have any JP 308 rifle experience?

Link Posted: 1/7/2010 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Them firewood hunks look pretty dry...I agree about not shooting at the cut ends ...and wont bother the splitter

I wouldn't recommend shooting steel jacketed bullets into trees either...hell on saw blades and chains

Nice rifle
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I use a JP parts in my LR-308 and think they are great.  The quality is just outstanding.  JP has long been one of the leaders in competition rifles.  I like the LRP's side charge handle too.
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I took mine to the range, but the only ammo I could find were some soft points and they did not feed well during rapid fire for 3 Gun.

New ammo is on the way and once the temp gets above freezing here, I will get an accuracy report and shoot it at my next local 3 Gun match too.
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 6:22:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
JP makes the best AR rifles available IMHO.  I built a complete rifle from DPMS and JP parts.  It is quite accurate and it's about as light as  an M-4.  A friend was so impressed by it that he ordered one of the new JP 308 rifles and was so impressed by that one that he ordered another.  He used his first JP .308 to win the egg shoot side match at the ITRC after using it to shoot the entire match.  I wish I could afford to replace all my ARs with JP rifles.  

Here's a pic of my homebuilt DPMS/JP.  I've put 10 rounds into one 5/8" ragged hole at 100 yards with it.  
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b12/wirebrush/dpms.jpg
The best part is that I built it with the funds I got for selling my uber heavy AR-10T.

Could you give us specifics of the build?
Link Posted: 1/19/2010 4:59:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I ordered a JP LRP-07 Rifle on June 10, 2009. I have not received any information regarding when I will get it. 29 weeks and counting .

Andy
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top