User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By RAM1:
Not holding onto the rim.

Upgrade the extractor spring(s). That should fix your problems.
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#2]
You need to add the Troy FF tube.
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Long_Range:
Originally Posted By Forest:
Come on guys, I need some help here.

do you have any other questions that should be covered?

Armalite used to make an upper that would fit a Stoner SR25 lower.
What were the changes, and can you make one fit now?
What about the DPMS upper?
Can the DPMS upper be fit to the Armalite lower with a little grinding on the radius at the back of the upper. Can it be fit to the Stoner SR25 the same way?

Thanks

Can a DPMS upper be made to fit a SR-25 lower?  Anyone tried this?
Link Posted: 8/9/2009 10:03:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: runawayabc123] [#4]
I have something to add (please correct me if any details are wrong, and this is often detailed with the description of the stock)
For a DPMS LR308, if you want to add the .308 Magpul Precision Rifle Stock Linky to a carbine length stock like the AP4 you need:
.308 Standard Length Buffer Spring Linky
.308 Standard Buffer Linky
Buttstock Extension Tube (standard) Linky

And another question to add: I have seen some detachable/flip up sights that claim they are for the ar10/LR308 rifles.  Is there anything that is actually different?  Can you use any ar15 detachable sights on an ar10/LR308?  

Answer:
The ar10 requires sights that are taller (I don't have details on this)
The lr-308 standard upper receiver uses regular ar15 sights.  
The lr-308 a3 upper receiver still uses standard sights, but requires an extended front sight post part here and for more details Explaination thread
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 1:57:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SHIVAN:
Originally Posted By Forest:Alternate Calibers that can be loaded (with a barrel change)?  Who makes them?
[/div]

You can get barrels in .243Win from ArmaLite (special runs) and DPMS vendors directly.

Can the .243 barrel be reamed out to handle a 6mm Remington?
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Recently acquired a RRA LAR-8!  Nice little toy!  Are there any hydraulic buffers/rate reducers out there that will fit this rifle?
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 11:48:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rouxster] [#7]
I'm sort of new to AR-15's and have a couple of basic questions about a .308 !R-15.

Is a .308 AR-15 an AR-10?

What is the NATO designation for the .308?

Does the lower have to specifically be for a .308 or will the .223 lower work? (This might be a dumb question)
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#8]
A .308 in an AR-15 configuration is called an AR-10.  However, some companies may have manufacturer specific labels for them.  For example, Rock River Arms list theirs as LAR-8, and DPMS lists theirs as LR-308.  (you get the picture)
The Nato equivalent for a .308 is 7.62x51.
Since the .223/5.56 round is significantly smaller than a .308/7.65x51, the lower receivers are not interchangeable.
You and some others may consider your questions dumb, but you have to learn somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks.  I just built my first AR and I'm already looking at my second build.  I would like to build a long range rifle and I'mlooking at a .308 because of the energy and range for theat round as opposed to a .308.  I understand that it will be a heavier rifle with more recoil, but being that I have my other AR, I'm not too concerned about that.  Being that I live in La, the .308 is a popular deer round, so they are easy to find.  Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 10:37:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shrikefan] [#10]
Originally Posted By willyj:
Originally Posted By SHIVAN:
Originally Posted By Forest:Alternate Calibers that can be loaded (with a barrel change)?  Who makes them?
[/div]

You can get barrels in .243Win from ArmaLite (special runs) and DPMS vendors directly.

Can the .243 barrel be reamed out to handle a 6mm Remington?

Probably BUT, if I recall correctly, the 6mm OAL is significantly longer than the 243. Then you run into mag issues. Plus the cost may be cheaper to buy one than to ream one out if it has a chrome bore/chamber because of the wear on the reamers. YMMV.

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By shrikefan:
AR10 gas tube over all lengths:

AR10 Carbine (midlength) 12-1/16"

AR10 Rifle 15-9/16"

Correct me if I am wrong -

DPMS LR308 uses standard AR15 rifle length gas tube or 15-3/16"- gas port is located accordingly on barrel
Armalite AR10 uses their length gas tube as shown above, which is longer by 3/8" than that AR15 rifle length gas tube
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 5:24:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MartytW:
AR10 gas tube over all lengths:

AR10 Carbine (midlength) 12-1/16"

AR10 Rifle 15-9/16"

Correct me if I am wrong -

DPMS LR308 uses standard AR15 rifle length gas tube or 15-3/16"- gas port is located accordingly on barrel
Armalite AR10 uses their length gas tube as shown above, which is longer by 3/8" than that AR15 rifle length gas tube

Actually the AR10 gas tubes are close to 3/16" (I think Armalite has quoted .200") longer than standard ar15 gas tubes.

I don't have an AR10 rifle length gas tube laying around to re-check the OAL.

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Chris1NY:
Can a DPMS upper be made to fit a SR-25 lower?  Anyone tried this?

I remember reading somewhere that the LR-308 is just a civilianized version of the Stoner. I.e, they are completely interchangeable. Can anyone else comment on this one?

Chris, if you can't get a good answer here, ask that question over on the DPMS forum.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey guys need some help here.

I have in my dirty little hands a CMMG .308 lower that uses teh G3 mags :-) - win-win!!

My question is, I know it uses a modified DPMS upper ONLY, however I want to use a Armalite 16" m id-length barrel.  Is the barrel compatible with DPMS upper and are all teh bolts/carriers compatible?
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By LRSNutJob:
Hey guys need some help here.

I have in my dirty little hands a CMMG .308 lower that uses teh G3 mags :-) - win-win!!

My question is, I know it uses a modified DPMS upper ONLY, however I want to use a Armalite 16" m id-length barrel.  Is the barrel compatible with DPMS upper and are all teh bolts/carriers compatible?

Depends on who you ask. Some have done so successsfully some strongly advise against it. YMMV

Link Posted: 9/25/2009 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#16]
to update the original post, the standard dpms AR15 bolt catch will NOT work in a LR 308 receiver.  it wont stop the gun from working, but it wont hold the bolt either.   its pretty much just plugging a hole.  

the bolt catch and receiver i discovered this on are current production.   maybe on older stuff it worked.
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By TurkeyLeg:
to update the original post, the standard dpms AR15 bolt catch will NOT work in a LR 308 receiver.  it wont stop the gun from working, but it wont hold the bolt either.   its pretty much just plugging a hole.  

the bolt catch and receiver i discovered this on are current production.   maybe on older stuff it worked.

I have seen them both work in "Gen 1" and "Gen 2" DPMS LR308 lowers.

Link Posted: 9/25/2009 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By PindarsLight:
SO  what I'm gathering is Armalite is the creme de le creme for .308s

my questions are as follows

Are there any .308 Rifle kits?

Is  assembly the same as the ar15?

Why would you say that?

Link Posted: 9/26/2009 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#19]

what are the differences between first and second generation LR308's?    

i assume that the one i bought a month ago is a third generation unit?
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Will an A.R.M.S S.I.R. fit a DMPS upper?
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#21]

what are the differences between first and second generation LR308's?    

i assume that the one i bought a month ago is a third generation unit?

I may have the gen's wrong. The main difference I noticed from an earlier model was it had the area of the mag release buttom sort of concave cut evenly around the entire button. The later version had the area recessed completely with the top and front being the "fence" areas.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:44:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mjsemtex] [#22]
iron ridge is now offering lowers and uppers in both DPMS and armalite format.

Iron Ridge

they're also working on what they're calling a 'match grade' upper and lower set... and a side-charging upper.

very nice work.
Link Posted: 11/17/2009 2:48:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By 5jeffro7:
in relation to partch interchangeability between 15's & 10's, is there a differece between the ambidextrous selictor assemblies of the 2?

in theory or actuality, can I simply use the "ambidextrous conversoin" marketed for an ar15 in my ar10 without any problems?

The DPMS LR308 ambi safety would not work in my Armalite Ar10A4––it was too long.
Link Posted: 11/21/2009 10:08:42 PM EDT
[#24]
which do you think is the better mfgr - Rock River or DPMS - as far as reliability, quality, etc...

what are the major differences,

I really like the DPMS 18" bull bbl

Link Posted: 12/30/2009 8:41:50 PM EDT
[#25]
DPMS LR-308 Lower Receiver Assembly

Do not trust the schematics in the DPMS dealer catalog!   Mine (2009) had many errors that I only discovered by accident.  Having just tonight completed assembling my LR-308 lower, I though you might find this useful.

Essential LR-308 Lower Receiver Parts

Many AR-15 lower parts are compatible with the LR-308, but the parts listed here are NOT AR-15 COMPATIBLE and must be included in your build.  DPMS part numbers to the left:
  • 308-LR-18 - .308 Front Pivot Pin
  • 308-LR-30 - .308 Rear Takedown Pin
  • 308-LR-11 - .308 Bolt Catch
  • 308-LR-12 - .308 Bolt Catch screw

Other things to note:
  • The pivot and takedown pins are 9/32".
  • The magazine catch, spring and button are AR-15, but when assembled correctly the threaded rod part of the catch will be about 3/16" short of flush.  I used a 10-32 set screw ground to fit and filled the hole.  It looks much nicer.
  • The 308 Bolt Catch Screw has a 1/16" socket head.  Very easy to assemble, just screw it snug, I used a little blue Loctite on the threads.
  • The pivot and takedown pin detents and detent springs are the same, but the takedown detent comes up from the grip rather than from the back.  I found that cutting a small (>1/32") divot in the grip to hold the bottom end of the spring kept the spring from squirming to the side while tightening the grip.
  • All fire control parts, including the safety selector, are identical to AR-15.  I installed a RRA NM 2-stage trigger with no problems.

Hope this helps,

C_m
Link Posted: 12/31/2009 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Two people have already asked this, but I can't seem to find an answer here. So if anyone knows:
Are bolts and bolt carriers interchangeable between DPMS and Armalite?
Semper Fidelis
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 12:07:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I have seen many references on the web about how an Armalite upper will fit on a DPMS lower but not vice versa. I am under the understanding that the fire control pocket dimensions are also not the same( the distance from pivot pin to the front of the pocket, hammer, trigger, safety selector). If this is true, then it may fit together with the take down and pivot pins but the hammer strike position will be different, can some one verify this if they can?
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I have another one of the dumb questions.  New here so don't jump on me all at once.

I want a DPMS or a RRA .308.  I would like to have one for distance (ie the "varminter" type) and one for mid range (16-18" barrel).  Can I simply buy the varminter type and then buy another (same brand) stripped upper/barrel assembly in 16-18"?

Clarification:  I want two barrel sizes for one weapon.  How can I do this, or can I?

Lastly, I have read really good things about RRA and DPMS.  What are the major differences?  Is there a discernible difference in accuracy out of the box?
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Thats what I figured.  Thanks.

Now on to the next question.  I presumed that I could just exchange the uppers (ie no bolt assembly). Is that true or should I buy the complete assembly?
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 9:42:51 PM EDT
[#31]
DPMS LR-308 Upper Receiver Assembly

Do not trust the schematics in the DPMS dealer catalog!  As with the earlier reply about the LR-308 lower receiver, the upper receiver requires parts that you may not find out about until too late.

DPMS makes three LR-308 upper receivers.  The parts list below is for the 308-FTT-EA1 stripped upper receiver, which has thick walls, forward assist/brass deflector and port cover.  The LoPro model has no forward assist, brass deflector or port cover.  There is also a lightweight upper receiver, model 308-FTT-LW, very similar to the EA but with thinner walls, and its parts should be the same as the EA.

Essential LR-308 EA1 Upper Receiver Parts:

Many AR-15 upper parts are compatible with the LR-308, but the parts listed here are NOT AR-15 COMPATIBLE and must be included in your build. DPMS part numbers to the left:
  • 308-UR-05 - .308 Ejection Port Cover
  • 308-UR-03 - .308 Ejection Port Cover Pin
  • 308-UR-07 - .308 Forward Assist Spring
  • 308-UR-19B - .308 Charge Handle
Other things to note:
  • The port cover pin does not need a circlip, the rear receiver hole is blind so that the pin bottoms out.
  • There is no visual difference between the FA spring of an AR and the LR-308.  I assume it's stiffer to keep the FA from slipping forward during recoil.
  • The part number 308-UR-19B is for a stripped charge handle.  They also sell complete charge handles.  AR-15 standard or upgrade latches (like the TAC latch) work and install the same way in the LR-308 charge handle.
Hope this helps,

C_m
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 4:09:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sandsleep] [#32]
May as well add that AR-10 type rails that have dpms barrel nut (like the sws e1) may sit higher then the rail of the dpms uppers. The new uppers are .06 lower then the older ones. The uppers from Fulton are still the higher height.
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#33]
I have not seen anyone mention wether the charging handles between an Armalite and DPMS are interchangeable. I have an AR10 charging handle and want to know if it will work in my DPMS?
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Scarlett_Red:
I have not seen anyone mention wether the charging handles between an Armalite and DPMS are interchangeable. I have an AR10 charging handle and want to know if it will work in my DPMS?

Dimensionally yes they are.

The best way I have found to tell the difference between the two is that the Armalite handle will have an angle at the end with the gas tube hole. The DPMS will just have a radius (1/8"?) in the 90 degree corner.

Link Posted: 3/4/2010 2:21:20 PM EDT
[#35]
The BCM Gunfighter 308 charging handles are now shipping and they claim they will fit AR-10, DPMS, Larue OBR, POF etc.  So yes the charging handles seem to be interchangeable according to BCM.
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 11:17:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#36]
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 2:51:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lapster] [#37]
An optic question.  
I've picked up a 16" RRA LAR-8 and I'm anxiously waiting for the LMT MRP in 7.62x51. I've been told I should change my LT-SPR 104 scope mount for something lower for the 7.62 application. Which LaRue mount should I be using?
Thanks, Lappy

Link Posted: 6/27/2010 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By knikshooter:
The BCM Gunfighter 308 charging handles are now shipping and they claim they will fit AR-10, DPMS, Larue OBR, POF etc.  So yes the charging handles seem to be interchangeable according to BCM.

FYI:
I found out the hard way, the BCM Gunfighter .308 charging handles DO NOT work in the RRA LAR-8's. Hopefully they will work in the LMT MRP that's on it's way.
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By lapster:
Originally Posted By knikshooter:

FYI:
I found out the hard way, the BCM Gunfighter .308 charging handles DO NOT work in the RRA LAR-8's. Hopefully they will work in the LMT MRP that's on it's way.

they do

Link Posted: 6/28/2010 10:37:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By lapster:
An optic question.  
I've picked up a 16" RRA LAR-8 and I'm anxiously waiting for the LMT MRP in 7.62x51. I've been told I should change my LT-SPR 104 scope mount for something lower for the 7.62 application. Which LaRue mount should I be using?
Thanks, Lappy

i went with the SPR-S QD Mount LT-158 and couldn't be happier. it's as low as i can get with Troy sights and a Leupold MK4. this mount also had 10MOA built into it.

Link Posted: 7/16/2010 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#41]
I saw the discussion in the original post of interchangeability between DPMS and Armalite. But, I have a Bushmaster AR10. What maker/s have a true drop in and go upper for Bushmaster?

Thank you!!
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By PremiumNutrition:
I saw the discussion in the original post of interchangeability between DPMS and Armalite. But, I have a Bushmaster AR10. What maker/s have a true drop in and go upper for Bushmaster?

Thank you!!

older Bushy? FAL mags? this matters...

#1 if it takes FAL mags a new RRA upper MAY fit, i've not had one here to test.

#2 if it's the new DPMS Bushmaster... you have a chrome lined DPMS upper . i would guess that other DPMS upper should fit just fine.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#43]
It's older. I think it was purchased new in 2003. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#44]
I've got a couple of questions regarding a POF 308 Lower.  I stumbled on one locally and am making arrangements to pick it up.

I understand I can use a DPMS upper with sleeves. Are these the sleeves I need?  LINK HERE.

I believe the POF lower can use the Magpul 20LR.  Can you please verify for me that this is correct?

Thanks in advance for help with my newbie questions.  Once I get this lower, I'm sure I'll be quite excited to build this rifle!
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#45]
I've built hundreds of AR15 uppers but never a 308 upper. I want to build myself some 308 uppers for my DPMS Lower.

I have not seen this question listed here in the FAQ or anywhere else for that matter, so I'll ask:

Are the barrel nuts the same between an AR15 and the DPMS upper?

How about the Delta ring assemblies?

Link Posted: 12/23/2010 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 5:12:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: archad] [#47]
No barrel nuts are not the same. My ma/ten uses that dpms pattern nut and it is a 36mm nut. I used a modified 13/8" wrench to tighten my dpms barrel nut on my ma/ten upper.
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By rjrivero:
I've got a couple of questions regarding a POF 308 Lower.  I stumbled on one locally and am making arrangements to pick it up.

I understand I can use a DPMS upper with sleeves. Are these the sleeves I need?  LINK HERE.

I believe the POF lower can use the Magpul 20LR.  Can you please verify for me that this is correct?

Thanks in advance for help with my newbie questions.  Once I get this lower, I'm sure I'll be quite excited to build this rifle!

+1, I can't locate the answer to this either...
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#49]
I apologize if I didn't see it, but will an Armalite barrel fit on a DPMS pattern (POF) upper? What would have to be done to make it function properly?
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Will Magpul MOE handguards work on a DPMS classic .308 in replace of their standard handguard?  Is the UBR universal for AR15's and LRs?
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top