Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2008 1:53:18 AM EDT
I am looking for a 20" 6.8 barrel.  I understand that it won't have much more velocity than an 18", but I want to replace the barrel in my 20" upper and I would prefer the 20" length.  I also prefer the longer gas tube length that goes with a 20" set up.

The 18" White Oak barrel is almost perfect... except it's 2" too short.

Your suggestions are appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 5:14:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the last Cardinal armory 20" barrel on hold.

I am still debating if I want to switch from a 16" to a 20" barrel right now.

Give me a day to think about it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I called Pete at leagl transfers today and he said stag would be coming out with  20" 6.8 in January.

Model 1 sales has 20" 6.8 so does J&T distributing, but I am unsure of the reputation of these two.  Mainly because I have read the 6.8 needs m4 feed ramps and I don not know if these have them.

Cardinal Amrs no longer has 20" in stock.

But do me a favor if you find a company I did not list that makes one please shoot me an IM.

Link Posted: 11/13/2008 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#3]
You want SPC II or DMR Chamber and 1:11 or 1:12 twist for optimum performance. Ammo technology and performance for the 6.8 is increasing and tests, including one in this forum posted above, clearly point to the newer chambers and slower twists as being optimal performers for current ammo, the special order SSA combat loads, and hotter handloads and factory offerings that are coming.

Stag Model 7.. see post above. Already on Stag's website. 20 inch stainless, SPC II chamber and 1:11 twist. Good to go.

DPMS 20 inch with 1:11 chrome moly barrel. DPMS chambers are typically very tight, and you can have the chamber reamed to SPC II specs.

The 6.8 is a very efficient cartridge and generates very good performance out of shorter barrels. So you will find more barrel options in the 16-18 inch range. A WOA 18 inch 6.8 barrel is very popular and they are making them with the SPC II chambers now.  Noveske has some hot new spec'd 6.8 barrels out now also, 16-18 though.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 3:57:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replys so far.  I am aware of the need for the slower twist barrel and so one of the sources mentioned above has Shaw barrels with too fast a twist rate.  If I was building a new upper vs. swapping barrels in an existing upper, I would just but the WOA 18" barrel.  The Stag looks good - but not available yet.... as always it's never easy to find just what I want.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Stag Model 7.. see post above. Already on Stag's website. 20 inch stainless, SPC II chamber and 1:11 twist. Good to go.

DPMS 20 inch with 1:11 chrome moly barrel. DPMS chambers are typically very tight, and you can have the chamber reamed to SPC II specs.

Is there any place where you can get the DPMS upper alone?
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
not available yet.... as always it's never easy to find just what I want.

LOL.. That happens to me all the time. The Stag looks promising. I asked Pete w/ Legal Transfers about the Model 7 and he replied he would post info when he could order them. Stay tuned.

Another option, not a 20 like you want, is AR15Performance.com a sponsor of 68forums.com has a new Xtreme6.8 upper coming with a chrome lined proper spec'd 6.8 upper, and a LW50 polygonal 6.8 uppers in a 16 or 18 inch configuration. These will sell like crazy.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 3:29:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Question about the Stag.  Assuming that I decide to wait, will they sell barrels seperately or will  need to buy a complete upper?
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Silver, you will need to buy a complete rifle. Stag probably won't offer an upper till sometime next year. Probably the same as happened to their varmint model. I don't think you can buy only a barrel from them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:52:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh well - went ahead and ordered the 18" barrel from White Oak.  Not my first choice - but certainly can't go wrong with anything from Hollinger.

One more thing - 12 - 14 week ship time - they are backed up!
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top