(53)  8.2%

(165)  25.6%

(80)  12.4%
You Must Be Logged In To Vote
Total Votes: 645
Author
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/11/2011 7:15:44 PM
Congratulations Guys. Good luck with this endeavor!
J-A-R
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/13/2011 8:16:51 PM
Will the ammo, brass, dies and case gage be available on the 31st of this month? Just wondered if everything will be in stock at the same time.

Thanks
Joe
BWilson
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/13/2011 11:13:08 PM
Originally Posted By J-A-R:
Will the ammo, brass, dies and case gage be available on the 31st of this month? Just wondered if everything will be in stock at the same time.

Thanks
Joe

That's the plan .......................

vtmactech
I have "issues"...
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/13/2011 11:27:49 PM
Keep the updates coming. Do you think you will be announcing final barrel profiles be fore they go live on the website? Are you planning any package deals (barrel/dies/brass)?
Why 7.62? Because when the shootin' starts, people tend to hide behind things.
kallnojoy
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/13/2011 11:40:08 PM
Originally Posted By vtmactech:
Keep the updates coming. Do you think you will be announcing final barrel profiles be fore they go live on the website? Are you planning any package deals (barrel/dies/brass)?

Or (cough) pre-orders (cough)...
Proud Member of Team Ranstad...The Fantastic Bastards
FLICK-244
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/14/2011 1:45:48 AM
Originally Posted By BWilson:
Thanks to all of Kurt's kind help we're off and running with our 7.62x40 WT project. Here's what we have coming initially.........................expect a big launch by end of first quarter 2011.

Complete ARs, uppers and bbls in 11.3" and 16.2" CAR gas, 1-10 or 1-11 twist (haven't made the final decision yet)
Loaded Ammo in both new and OF cases, will be loading Sierra 125gr PH, Nosler 125gr BT, Speer 125gr TNT and Barnes 110gr TTSX
Formed cases, both new and OF LC
Hornady dies
Case gauge
Load data

This will NOT be a proprietary caliber and access to chamber drawings and reamers/gauges will available to anyone. I hope everyone will use the same chamber spec so we will start off and remain consistent with dimensions!!!! We've settled on Kurt's final dimensions with one minor change so will be cross-compatiable with existing dies/chamber/brass.

If the demand is there we will also offer 18" and 20" mid gas too ??????

Have you even tried to use the 11.3" barrel with sub-sonics? The .300 Blackout is alright, but the 7.62X40 makes more sense to me, especially if it can handle subsonic loads. Maybe 180 to 220 grain round nosed bullets instead of the OTM variety to reduce their length and stabilize better? I imagine an adjustable gas block would be mandatory to even hope to get it to cycle with both super and subsonics.

Any insight would be appreciated. I'm saving my nickles and dimes!
Italian poet Dante Alighieri:
"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."
BWilson
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/14/2011 9:40:15 AM
Originally Posted By FLICK-244:
Thanks to all of Kurt's kind help we're off and running with our 7.62x40 WT project. Here's what we have coming initially.........................expect a big launch by end of first quarter 2011.

Complete ARs, uppers and bbls in 11.3" and 16.2" CAR gas, 1-10 or 1-11 twist (haven't made the final decision yet)
Loaded Ammo in both new and OF cases, will be loading Sierra 125gr PH, Nosler 125gr BT, Speer 125gr TNT and Barnes 110gr TTSX
Formed cases, both new and OF LC
Hornady dies
Case gauge
Load data

This will NOT be a proprietary caliber and access to chamber drawings and reamers/gauges will available to anyone. I hope everyone will use the same chamber spec so we will start off and remain consistent with dimensions!!!! We've settled on Kurt's final dimensions with one minor change so will be cross-compatiable with existing dies/chamber/brass.

If the demand is there we will also offer 18" and 20" mid gas too ??????

Have you even tried to use the 11.3" barrel with sub-sonics? The .300 Blackout is alright, but the 7.62X40 makes more sense to me, especially if it can handle subsonic loads. Maybe 180 to 220 grain round nosed bullets instead of the OTM variety to reduce their length and stabilize better? I imagine an adjustable gas block would be mandatory to even hope to get it to cycle with both super and subsonics.

Any insight would be appreciated. I'm saving my nickles and dimes!

One of the reasons for getting into this project was my realization that you simply can't have it all in one bbl, there is no way to achieve optimum performance with both subsonic and supersonic loads in the same bbl.. The 7.62x40 is designed for 110-150gr supersonic loads. Sure you could chamber a 1-8 twist bbl in 7.62x40 and it will work fine for subs, but you will give up supersonic performance, especially with the lighter bullets where the 7.62x40 really performs. Also you need two different gas port sizes, you gas it for subs and it's way overgassed for supers. Another problem that makes the one size fits all concept a problem is the dramatic difference in point of impact with the two types of loads, a sub load can shoot a foot off from supersonic loads. Personally I'm using a 1-8 twist 300BLK for 220gr subs and the 7.62x40 WT for supersonic loads and sticking with 110-125gr bullets....................

vtmactech
I have "issues"...
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/14/2011 4:34:20 PM
Personally I'm using a 1-8 twist 300BLK for 220gr subs and the 7.62x40 WT for supersonic loads and sticking with 110-125gr bullets....................

This. My 8" 1-8 Noveske 300BLK for subs is due here this week. I am waiting for the 7.62x40 to be released and will finish building my hunting rifle. Plan on using the same SBR lower for the 8" and 16". This is gonna be good.
Why 7.62? Because when the shootin' starts, people tend to hide behind things.
FLICK-244
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/14/2011 5:51:35 PM
Thank you Mr. Wilson for your opinion. I'm forced to be frugal......which REALLY reduces the amount of fun I can have. I'll have to do more homework and prioritization, for now.
Italian poet Dante Alighieri:
"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."
Sortafast
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/15/2011 10:19:50 PM
I don't know why, and I know I will probably catch some flack for this, but I kinda want to do a mini-14 in x40. With a good barrel I think could own the broad side of a barn finally . Just need to find me a beater,a barrel blank get a smith to ream it for me.
Roguer
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/15/2011 10:47:23 PM
Ok...that was weird... I came looking for this topic to see how its going and couldn't find the thread. Searches turned up nothing then I tried again here it is. Just thought I'd say some thing about it.

Watching the launch of a new cartridge is a fascinating and wonderful thing to see at its start!
Stickytrigger
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2011 10:19:01 AM
So from what I gather the first barrel offerings willl be carbine gas systems. Do you happen to have a ETA for a mid or rifle length system? Also, has anyone found a Comp that has worked well with this setup? Looking forward to the release.
tailwind5sw
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2011 1:31:09 PM
So who has a reader to chamber a 300 blackout to 7.62 x 40 AR?
GGGBeo50
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2011 5:36:36 PM
Originally Posted By tailwind5sw:

Nice one. haha....I bet you are serious though.

Graycard
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2011 6:14:26 PM

The reamer number and supplier has been posted earlier in the thread (I'll let you backtrack it) but I'm not sure what gunsmith may have ordered one. The drawback to reworking a 300 Blackout to a 7.62x40 would be the twist rate of the barrel. (I have no idea of what gas setup you have now) You would be better off all the way around to just sell the 300 barrel and buy a new one.

tailwind5sw
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2011 8:44:58 PM
1 in 10 twist. Carbine gas. Set up for supersonic.
GGGBeo50
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2011 4:39:47 PM
So after 3 days of fumbling through all 41 pages of this enormous thread, I have put this 7.62 X 40 build idea on the back burner. While a great developement and I tip my hat to my Louisiana folk ( Im a coonass born and raised) I am not too excited about the modified magazine issue. Last thing I need is another pile of modified magazines sitting around. THANK YOU .50 BEWULF AND 6.8SPC. I am a sucker for all my loose parts/ accesories working in all my guns, minus the barrel of course. Also, Considering the intense pressure spike that wears out the primer pocket on my 300 blk that only allows me to reload a couple times on the same piece of brass, I forsee this being a relative issue if not a greater from the larger charge and higher velocity. But I will have to say, if I had not had both feet in on the 300 blk, I would have chosen this cartridge since I dont shoot subsonic often enough to make it a habit. And finally, something positive, I think this cartridge will tear the rug out from underneath the 30AR. Similar velocities and 30 rds in a mag sounds a lot better than 10.. I'll keep my ear in on this for further developement. This service rifle cartridge race is getting rowdy!
BWilson
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/19/2011 10:04:16 AM
Originally Posted By Stickytrigger:
So from what I gather the first barrel offerings willl be carbine gas systems. Do you happen to have a ETA for a mid or rifle length system? Also, has anyone found a Comp that has worked well with this setup? Looking forward to the release.

Only the 11.3" will be carbine, 16", 18" and 20" will all be mid

BWilson
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/19/2011 10:05:06 AM
Wilson Combat and it cleans up the old chamber just fine
BWilson
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/19/2011 10:15:28 AM
Originally Posted By GGGBeo50:
So after 3 days of fumbling through all 41 pages of this enormous thread, I have put this 7.62 X 40 build idea on the back burner. While a great developement and I tip my hat to my Louisiana folk ( Im a coonass born and raised) I am not too excited about the modified magazine issue. Last thing I need is another pile of modified magazines sitting around. THANK YOU .50 BEWULF AND 6.8SPC. I am a sucker for all my loose parts/ accesories working in all my guns, minus the barrel of course. Also, Considering the intense pressure spike that wears out the primer pocket on my 300 blk that only allows me to reload a couple times on the same piece of brass, I forsee this being a relative issue if not a greater from the larger charge and higher velocity. But I will have to say, if I had not had both feet in on the 300 blk, I would have chosen this cartridge since I dont shoot subsonic often enough to make it a habit. And finally, something positive, I think this cartridge will tear the rug out from underneath the 30AR. Similar velocities and 30 rds in a mag sounds a lot better than 10.. I'll keep my ear in on this for further developement. This service rifle cartridge race is getting rowdy!

With "balanced" loads (for example 125gr with A1680) standard unmodified Lancer L5 mags work just fine and hold 16/24rds. When you have a load on the fringe of function you can occasionally get a bolt over malfunction, but these are normally with HOT 110gr loads.

I have seen the loose primer pocket issue also with the 300BLK, some brands of cases worse than others. Using LC and A1680 I don't have this issue with the 7.62x40WT, however with HOT H110 loads I do. A1680 is THE powder to use in 16" or longer bbls. Basically a 125gr bullet over 25gr A1680 with LC gives me good case life.

GGGBeo50
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/19/2011 10:32:26 AM
Originally Posted By GGGBeo50:

With "balanced" loads (for example 125gr with A1680) standard unmodified Lancer L5 mags work just fine and hold 16/24rds. When you have a load on the fringe of function you can occasionally get a bolt over malfunction, but these are normally with HOT 110gr loads.

I have seen the loose primer pocket issue also with the 300BLK, some brands of cases worse than others. Using LC and A1680 I don't have this issue with the 7.62x40WT, however with HOT H110 loads I do. A1680 is THE powder to use in 16" or longer bbls. Basically a 125gr bullet over 25gr A1680 with LC gives me good case life.

You make a good point with the brass, I seem to have less issues when I stick to LC and Fiocci. Since I usually have a mix of brass, almost every single piece of PMC brass (which we all know is soft and leaves traces on the shell deflector) is toasted after loads of a Medium-Hot 125g and H110. My primer pocket issues seemed to decrease when I stepped down in weight, from 150g FMJ-BT to the 125g (increased charge)as well. Just like any new cartridge, its just a matter of fine tuning and understanding the parameters. I figured out real quick Reloader#7 is not the load to use in a semi-auto. I am using a 10" barrel, so H110 has been sufficient thus far. Anyways, enough off topic convo on the 300 blk, I havent given up yet on my 30cal AR solution, l want to see more performance from this 7.62X40 before I make the plunge and give a few of my favorite dollars to Wilson for a reamer. Ultimately at the end of the day, velocity and energy is my goal.
tailwind5sw
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/19/2011 12:53:40 PM
So are you saying Wilson Combat will re-chamber my 300blk to 7.62x40?
BWilson
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/19/2011 3:23:01 PM
So are you saying Wilson Combat will re-chamber my 300blk to 7.62x40?

yes, just like we re-chamber 6.8SPC to 6.8SPC II

price depends on bbl contour and whether you send in just the bbl or an upper we must dis-assemble/re-assemble

tailwind5sw
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/19/2011 7:08:00 PM
Bill,
Sent you an email with my contact info.
Thanks
BWilson
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/20/2011 10:31:52 AM
Bill,
Sent you an email with my contact info.
Thanks

Tried to send you a reply from both my addresses and your domain rejected them????

Page:  / 64