AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 5:43:11 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
HEy guys,

New to this forum.

I built a 7.62x39 upper about two years ago.  I purchased a few of the first generation 6.5 grendel mags from c products to see if they would work.  They actually do work though the gentleman at C Prod said they had problems with them and did not guarantee it.

The biggest thing was that it only loaded 22 to 24 rounds and you had to raise the front part of the feed lips as the rounds tended to nose dive into the front of the mag.  I fired probbaly 500-600 rounds thru these mags to get them to work with 100% reliability.  I had 100% reliability in firing with Winchester ammo and probably 1 round in 20-30 where it was a light primer hit with OLD green box NOrinco ammo (it was given to me).  At teh time I was unaware of the primer issues witht he import ammo.

I'm in the mood to build another project carbine (I had traded the upper for a .223 upper about a year ago) since I've aquired a  Stag Arms lower recently.  

The upper I had was a Model 1 and I was impressed with the quaility for the price.  Since I found this thread I've been looking at options.

1) M-4 profile not because "they are cool" but because my wife might be carrying it if the SHTF.  Im not sure of the quiality of the M-4 barrel I found.  Any input? Not sure what you are asking. Any decent barrel should do. The M-4 profile has a relief for the M203 grenade launcher. Your wife have one of those? I want one too! There are other lightweight profiles if weight is the concern.

Interesting note on the 6.5 mags, I may give that a try, those mags are cheap.

Link Posted: 6/25/2008 6:32:34 AM EDT
[#2]
height=8

1) M-4 profile not because "they are cool" but because my wife might be carrying it if the SHTF.  Im not sure of the quiality of the M-4 barrel I found.  Any input? Not sure what you are asking. Any decent barrel should do. The M-4 profile has a relief for the M203 grenade launcher. Your wife have one of those? I want one too! here

Her patrol rifle is a colt with an a2 upper and 1/7" lightweight 16".  Her home rifle is the same but with an A1 upper.

Blackthorne is the company I was looking at for M4 and I've read tooooo many posts to know to stay away.  IDK of anyone else making M4 or lightweight barrels.
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 7:39:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

1) M-4 profile not because "they are cool" but because my wife might be carrying it if the SHTF.  Im not sure of the quiality of the M-4 barrel I found.  Any input? Not sure what you are asking. Any decent barrel should do. The M-4 profile has a relief for the M203 grenade launcher. Your wife have one of those? I want one too! There are other lightweight profiles if weight is the concern.

Her patrol rifle is a colt with an a2 upper and 1/7" lightweight 16".  Her home rifle is the same but with an A1 upper.

Blackthorne is the company I was looking at for M4 and I've read tooooo many posts to know to stay away.  IDK of anyone else making M4 or lightweight barrels.

Whew, good job on staying away from Blackthorne.

Almost all of the vendors at the top of the page will carry barrels.

The M4 folks throw back and forth refer to two different things. One is the contour of the barrel (including M203 launcher relief cut), the other is M4 feedramps on the barrel extension. If you have a barrel with M4 feedramps, it's a good idea to have an M4 feedramp cut receiver. The larger grooves facilitate feeding.

Barrel profiles you may want to look at would be lightweight, government and pencil. They are all smaller diameter and light when compared to heavy barrels.

Edit:  Woops, forgot we were talking about 7.62x39.

The vendors that have 7.62x39 barrels are Model 1 Sales, Del-Ton, MGI and...one other, can't remember off the top of my head.

The Del-Ton is a Wilson Arms barrel and is lighter weight than the others. The MGI one is M4 profile IIRC.
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#4]
DPMS, Sabre Defense and Olympic Arms also offer 7.62x39 barrels. ArmaLite makes a 16" middy, but is only selling complete rifles. DoubleStar offers a 7.62x39, but it's not on their website and I don't know if the sell barrels/barrel assemblies.
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 7:23:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help fellas.  I just picked up a "Older" style Model 1 and bolt for $200 - 1/2x36 thread IIRR not he new 5/8x24 unfortunately but since Im putting on either  phantom or vortex t doesnt matter I think Im covered.

Now... A1 upper or A3... LOL
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Not that you'll need 'em, but it appears this ER Shaw 7.62x39mm barrel I just picked up from Model 1 has M4 ramps:
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:29:05 AM EDT
[#7]
has anyone tried to cut down a 20" A4 barrel to 18".??

seems that that combo of longer sight radius and slightly shorter barrel would be perfect.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#8]
doublestar has chrome lined barrels
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
doublestar has chrome lined barrels

Do they actually have them in stock? Someone (I believe it was TANGOCHASER) posted a few days ago that they had them in their catalog, but they weren't actually available.
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 7:09:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Some comparison shots of the MGI Enhanced 7.62x39 bolt and firing pin. Model 1 says they use the same firing pin for 5.56 and 7.62x39.

LRSNutJob, Sabre Defence lists M4 profile 7.62x39 barrels.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Anybody break one of the $125 MGI bolts yet?
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone know how the sabre barrels are threaded?
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I called Doublestar today to see what the holdup was in getting my dealer catalog, and I also checked on what they offer in 7.62x39.  They offer both 16" and 20", they are both a HEAVY profile and are threaded. NEITHER are chrome lined and they do have them in stock.
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you know how the double star barrels are threaded?
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Nope.

I feed it everything from Wolf, to Monarch, Remington to handloads.

over 5000 rounds 100 or so were some pretty hot handloads with no trouble.

Quoted:
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Nope.

I feed it everything from Wolf, to Monarch, Remington to handloads.

over 5000 rounds 100 or so were some pretty hot handloads with no trouble.

Quoted:

Have you seen/loaded any ballistic type bullets?
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Do you know how the double star barrels are threaded?

1/2x36
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 5:19:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I have fired Nosler 125 (308) ballistic tips reloaded with 25.5 reloader 7  
She fed just fine and accuracy was excellent in my model 1 7.62x39
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 6:20:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Has any one tried the Del-ton barrels. Are they instock? And what is the thread on the barrel for the muzzle break.
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 6:45:18 AM EDT
[#20]
height=8
Quoted:
Has any one tried the Del-ton barrels. Are they instock? And what is the thread on the barrel for the muzzle break.

I ordered a Del-Ton 7.62x39 upper on 7/1 only to find out that they are out of barrels and I still do not have it.  Don't know for a fact what thread they use but believe it is 1/2 - 36.  I'd much prefer 5/8 - 24 so I could use regular 308 muzzle devices.
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Arcticwolf:

What rang were you shooting at??
I am looking for good places in the phoenix AZ area to shoot with out the nucance of a range master.
I usualy go to Casagran but they have resently made "improvements" that make it dificult to set up my heavy steel targets on the range.
I may have to just start shooting at remote deasert locations.
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I noticed that a few of the companies that make 7.62x39 barrels only make 16"ers.  Is that because carbines are more popular, or because there wouldn't be a significant velocity gain by going to 20"?
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Artic wolf has a 20" Id like to know if there really is a difference between the 16 and 20.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#24]
EE Score

As with a lot of y'all, I'm awaiting my C Products replacement. In the mean time I couldn't pass these up:

Having had a couple scrounged from gun shows I know that, while they may not be pretty, they do work.
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 7:46:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Can I ask wat ya paid for 'em?
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 6:16:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Rumor mongering at its finest (from CProducts 7.62x39 Magazine? (Page 17)):

Quoted:

Quoted:
Larry, do you have the bugs worked out on the 30 rounders? I have three from the first batch to return but I wanted to make sure everything was good to go. Thanks!

Yes, I believe we have. I know there are a lot of sore shoulders at C Products. Been at the range constantly. I can tell you Bushmaster fired them and they worked flawlessly.

Larry
C Products

Larry,

Can I assume Bushmaster will be offering a 7.62x39 upper in the near future?  Have you seen it?

And:

Quoted:
C Products has a non-disclosure [NDA] with Bushmaster so I can't say any more.

Larry
C Products
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 11:57:09 PM EDT
[#27]
It was posted that the national 20 rnd mags 7.62x39 don't work. Well,  I have bought 5 mags for my colt and they work great! I had 1 problem with 1 mag but that was the first run of the mag and the next time never had a problem since. So, I say give them a try, I myself like them because they are the same length as the normal 30 rnd 5.56mags.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#28]
7.62x39mm AR ballistics?

(I posted this in another thread, but it seems like it might belong in here.)

9/6/08

At the range this morning I had both of my 7.62x39mm ARs. One is a 16" Model 1 kit gun with an Aimpoint M4 and the other has a Model 1 barrel that's been cut down to 14.5", with an Aimpoint T-1.

Both were zeroed at 50 yards, and checked this morning. That's zeroed as per me, which is to say they were both consistently hitting in the 1.85" circle that is the bullseye on the targets I get at the range.

So I decided to try 'em on the 100 yard. The 14.5" is new and I hadn't done that with it, and I don't really remember the last time I tried the 16" on the 100.

This may well be old hat to the more ballistics savvy amongst us, but it was a discovery for me. Firing Sellier & Bellot 123 gr. FMJ out of both guns, the 16" was hitting pretty consistently about 2" high while the 14.5" was pretty much on the bullseye (as much as I am on the 100 - the altitude was right, but I still find accuracy with a 4 MOA red dot at 100 yards to be a bit challenging).

A better explanation from those who know is welcome, but my best guess is that the slightly lower velocity that round gets from the 14.5" barrel allows that 123 grain bullet to drop, compared to one flying out of a 16" barrel, enough to be pretty much flat at 100 yards with its 50 yard ballistic profile.

As I say, further revelation should I be guessing wrong is encouraged.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#29]
She's pretty much done.  Going to break her in before I paint the upper.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u196/fg42gewehr/weapons004.jpg

DPMS lower
Colt M-16 upper
Bushmaster carrier, Model 1 Sales Bolt, Firing pin mod.
Model 1 Furniture
Magpul Grip + Trigger guard
Model 1 Sales 16" 1/10

It's a utility gun..... :-)
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 6:28:05 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
She's pretty much done.  Going to break her in before I paint the upper.

i168.photobucket.com/albums/u196/fg42gewehr/weapons004.jpg

DPMS lower
Colt M-16 upper
Bushmaster carrier, Model 1 Sales Bolt, Firing pin mod.
Model 1 Furniture
Magpul Grip + Trigger guard
Model 1 Sales 16" 1/10

It's a utility gun..... :-)

Nice build there.  Why not change-out all the furniture for A1 stuff to match the upper?
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 7:23:45 AM EDT
[#31]
I have the furniture but since its a x39 I didnt think about it.  I thought about it and im actually changing the A1 upper to my wife's AR.  She has a 5.56mm 16" light weight Colt 1/7 barrel on hers with a 4x scope.  I'll end up throwing the A2 upper on this one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Whats the best upper to go with on my  1st 7.62...Mod1 or DPMS??
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Whats the best upper to go with on my  1st 7.62...Mod1 or DPMS??

I don't know if anybody can directly compare the two from experience. The owners/shooters of both seem to like 'em. The Model 1 (ER Shaw barreled) upper and barrel assembly I use have been great, and Model 1 almost always has them in stock.
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#34]

my wife's pig/deer hunting gun.....it's wearing an ACOG TA01NSN and has a CProducts mag stuffed in it now.  Superior Arms lower, J&T upper, Vltor stock, and MGI bolt assembly.
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 3:27:01 PM EDT
[#35]

Colt45guy, whose barrel (I'm guessing either ER Shaw or Wilson) comes with the J&T upper?
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Colt45guy, whose barrel (I'm guessing either ER Shaw or Wilson) comes with the J&T upper?

good question....I have no idea--but it shoots fine

Link Posted: 10/14/2008 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#37]
height=8
Quoted:
has anyone tried to cut down a 20" A4 barrel to 18".??

seems that that combo of longer sight radius and slightly shorter barrel would be perfect.

anyones thought on this?  

what are the advantages/disadvantages of having a flashhider instead of the target crown?  not taking into account suppressor mounting.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Just now noticed a thread where primer strikes too light to fire Wolf on the first try ~60% of the time were reported with use of an MGI bolt. Wolff hammer springs were suggested, as they often are. That does seem to rectify the problem.

But I'll note that I have an MGI bolt/FP in one 7.62x39 AR and the Model 1 bolt in the other  They also have a Geissele DMR trigger in one and a Geissele SSA in the other and I have no problems with failures to fire.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone know where 7.62x39 barrels might be in stock?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#40]
MGI, the 16" is a M4 profile and comes with M4 feed ramp cuts, though it is not chrome lined.  I like what I see of mine, and hope to have it all put together by the weekend.

Please remember, while the MGI barrel does have the front sight base/gas block, it DOES NOT include a barrel nut, this must be added, and you must remove the FSB to do so.  While this is not a big deal, keep it in mind.  One other thing I noticed is that since they use there own system for attaching the barrel (i.e. no barrel nut), and free float hand guard they do not make allowances for front handaguard cap, the FSB sits flush up against the barrel shoulder.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Hi, new member here.  I've been lurking about for a few days and am very interested in an original Sporter 7.62x39mm.  But after an extensive search I haven't been able to find what the effective range is (16" barrel using Winchester 123 gr. FMJ).  Also, based on that, what would you suggest for a useful sight/optics?  I'd like for this Colt to satisfy my needs as a 100 to 300 yd range/deer rifle, if possible.

By the way, I already have a cheap ammo blaster (CX4 Storm .45) so this will be for beyond that.  Not really ready for the long range crowd yet either.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
MGI, the 16" is a M4 profile and comes with M4 feed ramp cuts, though it is not chrome lined.  I like what I see of mine, and hope to have it all put together by the weekend.

Please keep in mind though, while the MGI barrel does have the front sight base/gas block, it DOES NOT include a barrel nut, this must be added, and you must remove the FSB to do so.  While this is not a big deal, keep it in mind.  Once other thing I noticed is that since they use there own system for attaching the barrel (i.e. no barrel nut), and free float hand guard they do not make allowances for front handaguard cap, the FSB sits flush up against the barrel shoulder.

Are their barrels compatible with the piston conversion kits on the market?

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#43]
kippjones,

I see no reason it would not be, it IS a standard barrel.  It simply does not come with a barrel nut included, and it does not have the .030 or so gap that is normally between the rear of the FSB and the barrel step to make room for the front handguard cap.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#44]
I would be mating it to a DPMS upper. Will that work or does it require the MGI upper?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Welcome Munchausen!  Some 16 inch barrel users, are reporting 1 to 3 inch groups at 100 yards, using commercial ammo, military surplus, and hand loads.

Krochus on this forum, has taken a deer close to 300 yards.  He said, he used a 20 inch barrel and handloads.  I am not sure about the optics.

You may have to go back several pages on the variant section to find more ar15 (7.62x39) information.

This is where, I learned, what works and does'nt.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#46]
The DPMS upper will work fine, any decent quality upper will work.

The system MGI has is a cam locking system that uses the only the barrel extension to hold the barrel in place.  A normal barrel setup uses the barrel nut to lock the barrel extension into the upper, this is the reason you will need to add the barrel nut.  Same setup (minus nut) with barrel, it is their MGI UPPER that is different.

MGI System

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Y'all have to slow down a minute. I just learned of the 5.45 uppers today, and now the MGI upper & lowers.  I need a minute to take it all in...  I went from looking for an inexpensive way to take advantage of combloc ammo, to a $3K AR system!  I think the AK upper with Cproducts mag.  It's like a 300 whisper, but with CHEAP ammo alternatives!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The DPMS upper will work fine, any decent quality upper will work.

The system MGI has is a cam locking system that uses the only the barrel extension to hold the barrel in place.  A normal barrel setup uses the barrel nut to lock the barrel extension into the upper, this is the reason you will need to add the barrel nut.  Same setup (minus nut) with barrel, it is their MGI UPPER that is different.

MGI System

What if I do not want to use the MGI system but just want their barrel. Can I just use their barrel and install like a normal AR barrel without the quick release and use the regular nut?

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#49]
YES,

I told you how the MGI system worked to explain why it does not come with a standard barrel nut and that you will have to add that to your build.  I just received my last part today (barrel nut) for my 7.62x39 build.  I rushed home after work like I had to pinch off a 12 pounder and installed the barrel.  Rifle is finished up, and plan on doing some shooting tomorrow, now if those C Products magazines work, we are in business!

Here is a list of what went into my basic build...

Cavalry Arms MK II lower and 2 piece handguards
Stag LPK
MGI 16" M4 cut barrel
Olympic Arms flat top upper (bottom of parts box)
LMT rear sight
LMT bolt carrier
MGI enhanced bolt
Phantom flash hider
Carbine gas tube
DPMS front handguard cap and Delta ring pack
DPMS front sight and spring/detent
High Standard barrel nut

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#50]
From MGI's 7.62x39 barrel page:

These 7.62x39 barrels were specifically built for use in the MGI Modular weapon system. However, they are standard barrels and can be mated with any standard upper as well as MGI's QCB upper receiver.

ETA - That ought to be a pretty nice gun there, malsikcuf.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top