Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
6.5 Grendel FAQ (Page 9 of 10)
Page / 10
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By He_Shoot_Me:
Thanks for the info Mike!

I to am having the same problem with it putting a "ding" in the case, but figured the solution to that would be a heavier buffer as you mentioned. So before firing the rifle I did install a Spikes ST-12 thinking it was close enough in weight to an H2 in an attempt to keep the brass from getting dinged-up in the first place. No joy with that move.

My next plan is to install a heavy duty spring...I'm thinking about a Wolff, but am open to other suggestions. If it doesn't do the trick, I'll move-up to a H3. It is currently ejecting the brass between the 1 to 2 o'clock position, and I'm shooting for 3 to 4 o'clock.

The other mark that it's putting into the brass is the one that has me wondering what's going on. It's a perfectly straight line/shallow groove being sliced down the length of the case from the shoulder to bottom of the cartridge. It's not very deep, but is visible. A scratch if you will.

-Pat

I would check the feed lips of your mags. If there slightly bent they could be causing that long scratch.

Another option to look into is an adjustable gas tube from MGI. That may be a cheaper option than trying different springs and buffers.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Will do, thanks for the help Mike.

-Pat
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#3]
What do you guys think about the button rifled, bolt and barrel kits that AA sells? I am very interested in building an upper with either a 16" or 18" barrel to use for mule deer and antelope as well as paper punching. I am interested in the shorter barrels because I want to keep my rifle light and handy. Does AA's 1:8 twist work well with the range of 6.5 bullets suitable for the grendel?
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 870Fan:
What do you guys think about the button rifled, bolt and barrel kits that AA sells? I am very interested in building an upper with either a 16" or 18" barrel to use for mule deer and antelope as well as paper punching. I am interested in the shorter barrels because I want to keep my rifle light and handy. Does AA's 1:8 twist work well with the range of 6.5 bullets suitable for the grendel?

Yes, they work very well.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#5]

I to am having the same problem with it putting a "ding" in the case, but figured the solution to that would be a heavier buffer as you mentioned. So before firing the rifle I did install a Spikes ST-12 thinking it was close enough in weight to an H2 in an attempt to keep the brass from getting dinged-up in the first place. No joy with that move.

My next plan is to install a heavy duty spring...I'm thinking about a Wolff, but am open to other suggestions. If it doesn't do the trick, I'll move-up to a H3. It is currently ejecting the brass between the 1 to 2 o'clock position, and I'm shooting for 3 to 4 o'clock.

The other mark that it's putting into the brass is the one that has me wondering what's going on. It's a perfectly straight line/shallow groove being sliced down the length of the case from the shoulder to bottom of the cartridge. It's not very deep, but is visible. A scratch if you will.

-Pat

Its probably the barrel extension lug scratching the case during extraction. Many new AR's with the larger calibers will show scratches on the cases until the lug's sharp tips are lapped down. Just shoot it. Both of my 6.5's did that.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 12:08:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Hi everybody,

So I have a 7.62 complete rifle and a 6.5 Sporter (Grendel) upper without a bolt carrier assembly.  I know it is not the ideal to use a 7.62 bolt for 6.5 but in know it is possible.  My question is can I just throw the 7.62 carrier assembly into my 6.5 upper and shoot it or is there more I need to do to get my rifle to operate properly?

Link Posted: 12/27/2010 9:46:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glane5910] [#7]
Originally Posted By ExtremePrejudice:
Hi everybody,

So I have a 7.62 complete rifle and a 6.5 Sporter (Grendel) upper without a bolt carrier assembly.  I know it is not the ideal to use a 7.62 bolt for 6.5 but in know it is possible.  My question is can I just throw the 7.62 carrier assembly into my 6.5 upper and shoot it or is there more I need to do to get my rifle to operate properly?

Do you have the bolt that came with the 6.5? You can use the same bolt carrier for both. If you didn't get a bolt with the 6.5, then you need to find out which bolt face was used to headspace the chamber. Some 6.5's are headspaced with a standard 7.62x39 bolt face while AA spec bolt has a deeper bolt face. You really don't want to swap bolts even if head spaced the same because of extra wear on the bolt lugs/bbl extension lugs.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, that is kind of my question.  The bolt/barrel is spaced for a 7.62 round because that is what it came in.  The 6.5 upper didn't come with a bolt and carrier, but other than that I bought it as a complete upper.  I assume that the company that barreled the upper did so spacing it with a 7.62 bolt face because the 6.5 bolt/carrier assembly they sell is the same as the 7.62.  I know that AA is it's own duck from muzzle to carrier assembly, but none of my parts are from AA.  I am going through a fire forming process reshaping 7.62 brass anyway so the issue shouldn't be with the bolt face of a 7.62 bolt.  I am concerned about the chamber/barrel attached to the 6.5 upper.  I know that generally the dimensions are all relatively close, I just don't want to blow my face off because I overlooked something.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, that is kind of my question.  The bolt/barrel is spaced for a 7.62 round because that is what it came in.  The 6.5 upper didn't come with a bolt and carrier, but other than that I bought it as a complete upper.  I assume that the company that barreled the upper did so spacing it with a 7.62 bolt face because the 6.5 bolt/carrier assembly they sell is the same as the 7.62.  I know that AA is it's own duck from muzzle to carrier assembly, but none of my parts are from AA.  I am going through a fire forming process reshaping 7.62 brass anyway so the issue shouldn't be with the bolt face of a 7.62 bolt.  I am concerned about the chamber/barrel attached to the 6.5 upper.  I know that generally the dimensions are all relatively close, I just don't want to blow my face off because I overlooked something.

The actual OD of the bolt face is the same in both bolts. The AA spec bolt face is around 0.011" deeper than the standard 7.62x39 bolt. Which company sold you an upper w/o a head spaced bolt to go with it? More than likely, they used the standard 7.62 bolt to chamber the bbl. You can find out by chambering a round. The 7.62x39 bolt won't close on a round if its chambered with an AA spec bolt. If your bolt closes/locks, then it was chambered with a standard 7.62x39. If you can, I'd get another 7.62x39 bolt to run in it so you don't have the wear issues by using 1 bolt in 2 or more weapons. Other than that, you are good to go.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, yes

The bolt does fully lock in the 6.5 barrel so they did use a 7.62.  Thanks for that.

I know that the AA bolts are just slightly deeper and that is why I didn't want one even though they are said to be stronger.  I will 99% of the time be using reformed 7.62 brass so I would rather have a bolt face that fits and extracts a 7.62 case head as it was designed to do.  Eventually I will get a second bolt because it is always good to have more gun, but now I don't shoot so much that I am worried about the bolt wearing out.  I only shoot the 7.62 at targets because it is cheep and I want the brass.  For hunting and everything else I want the 6.5.

Thanks for the help and the advise, it is much appreciated.

EP
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#11]
The Company was Model 1 sales, and they do give the option to get a complete carrier assembly, I just didn't get one.  

http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=305

At this point I didn't think that I needed it.  When this whole process works out to my satisfaction I will commit more money to it and buy a really nice bolt/carrier assembly, as well as some other refinements.

EP
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, yes

The bolt does fully lock in the 6.5 barrel so they did use a 7.62.  Thanks for that.

I know that the AA bolts are just slightly deeper and that is why I didn't want one even though they are said to be stronger.  I will 99% of the time be using reformed 7.62 brass so I would rather have a bolt face that fits and extracts a 7.62 case head as it was designed to do.  Eventually I will get a second bolt because it is always good to have more gun, but now I don't shoot so much that I am worried about the bolt wearing out.  I only shoot the 7.62 at targets because it is cheep and I want the brass.  For hunting and everything else I want the 6.5.

Thanks for the help and the advise, it is much appreciated.

EP

I think you are a little confused by the differences of the 6.5 that uses AA's bolt and the one that uses 7.62x39 bolts.  Either will work with fireformed 7.62x39 brass as the case heads are the same.  The difference is that the AA bolt, with a little deeper bolt face, means that the shoulder of the chamber is closer to the barrel extension/locking lugs.  If you use a 7.62x39 bolt in an AA gun it won't chamber because the headspace is too tight.  If you use an AA bolt in a 7.62x39 depth chamber it will create excessive headspace and can cause problems.  You just have to make sure you are using the right bolt for your chamber, which is sounds like you have since it will close on ammo with the 7.62x39 bolt.  

You also mentioned earlier that the upper was originally 7.62x39.  That won't matter since you changed the barrel.  If you put an AA barrel in any upper you would need an AA depth bolt.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#13]
The OP has 2 separate uppers, a 7.62x39 and a 6.5 Sporter IIRC. AR Performance makes a good "super bolt" for the 7.62x39 which will work with your 6.5 Sporter. I bought a LMT "Enhanced" bolt for my 6.5 CSS. When I bought the bbl, LW was chambering them with a standard 7.62x39 bolt face. I originally used a DPMS bolt and then got a Model 1 for a spare. I should've kept it for a spare because I dropped it in once to see how it worked and the Model 1 bolt sheared a lug with less than 50 rounds. I put the DPMS bolt back in it until the LMT got to me. The LMT is a wonderful, strong bolt.
It is also correct as Altair posted that using a standard AA spec bolt  in a bbl chambered in 7.62x39, it will close but have excessive head space and not be healthy to shoot. Do yourself a favor and get a better bolt as soon as you can.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 11:03:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Muttt] [#14]
This is specifically why I recommend people buy a "Grendel" bolt/barrel combo (whether it be an AA, Saturn, Liberty, etc.), so there is standardization in the specifications.  If it's a Grendel, it's using a standard Grendel chamber and a Grendel bolt.  

When you start getting into the other "Grendel Like" barrels and bolts, there is no standardization.  It comes with whatever each manufacturer decides to use (and you must know what they use to be safe).  I'm not saying they don't make a good barrel.  Because the companies that make the other .264 barrels make excellent barrels and weapon platforms/builds.  But, they each use different chamber measurements :

“6.5 Grendel” .300” neck diameter with compound angle throat  
“6.5 CSS” .295” neck diameter with compound angle throat  
“.264 LBC-AR” .295” neck diameter with 1 degree throat  
“6.5 PPCX” .292 neck diameter with 1 degree throat

and some use 7.62 bolts.  Each come with thier own special issues.  I prefer to stick with a standardized chamber.  All Grendel chambers should be made to the same published specifications which makes it easier on the user when they need a bolt.  Just my .02 cents.

Mutt
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Muttt:
This is specifically why I recommend people buy a "Grendel" bolt/barrel combo (whether it be an AA, Saturn, Liberty, etc.), so there is standardization in the specifications.  If it's a Grendel, it's using a standard Grendel chamber and a Grendel bolt.  

When you start getting into the other "Grendel Like" barrels and bolts, there is no standardization.  It comes with whatever each manufacturer decides to use (and you must know what they use to be safe).  I'm not saying they don't make a good barrel.  Because the companies that make the other .264 barrels make excellent barrels and weapon platforms/builds.  But, they each use different chamber measurements :

and some use 7.62 bolts.  Each come with thier own special issues.  I prefer to stick with a standardized chamber.  All Grendel chambers should be made to the same published specifications which makes it easier on the user when they need a bolt.  Just my .02 cents.

Mutt
Yep, I've tried to explain that to folks, some take it readily, others get mad.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2010 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Pat_H:

and some use 7.62 bolts.  Each come with their own special issues.  I prefer to stick with a standardized chamber.  All Grendel chambers should be made to the same published specifications which makes it easier on the user when they need a bolt.  Just my .02 cents.

Mutt

I can understand both sides of the issues involved with standardizing but bottom line we have to be responsible for researching what we buy and what parts we put in there. CSS now uses an AA spec bolt face instead of the standard 7.62x39 bolt unless you ask for the standard version. Until there are more bolts out there to choose from, I'd rather have mine chambered with a standard 7.62x39 face depth just because there are more options. I have my 6.5CSS with a regular face and an AA bbl/bolt combo. I wish LMT made an enhanced bolt for the AA spec bolt, I'd buy one of those.

Link Posted: 12/28/2010 12:11:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Glane5910:
Originally Posted By Pat_H:

and some use 7.62 bolts.  Each come with their own special issues.  I prefer to stick with a standardized chamber.  All Grendel chambers should be made to the same published specifications which makes it easier on the user when they need a bolt.  Just my .02 cents.

Mutt

I can understand both sides of the issues involved with standardizing but bottom line we have to be responsible for researching what we buy and what parts we put in there. CSS now uses an AA spec bolt face instead of the standard 7.62x39 bolt unless you ask for the standard version. Until there are more bolts out there to choose from, I'd rather have mine chambered with a standard 7.62x39 face depth just because there are more options. I have my 6.5CSS with a regular face and an AA bbl/bolt combo. I wish LMT made an enhanced bolt for the AA spec bolt, I'd buy one of those.

I have yet to purchase a Grendel but when I do I will almost certainly go with one that uses a standard 762x39 bolt for these same reasons.  I'll probably go with an AR Performance bolt though.
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 12:50:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Gunwritr:

Would it be reasonable to expect either barrel to shoot a 1" or less group at a 100 yards with good ammo and a decent shot shooting the gun?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 12:59:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Glane5910] [#19]
Originally Posted By Gunwritr:

Would it be reasonable to expect either barrel to shoot a 1" or less group at a 100 yards with good ammo and a decent shot shooting the gun?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Either should do that. Barrel length in general has no effect on accuracy. You get more velocity from the longer bbl which leads to shooting further,flatter and increased energy. The only time you might see accuracy differences would be using open sights instead of a scope because of the longer sighting plane as the length of the bbl increases.
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I think the issue with the 6.5 type barrels and bolts is understandable.  It seems to me that AA has put a lot of time and money into the development of a good round.  By making small changes to cartridges and bullets that already exist, nothing entirely and completely new has been produced (this saves on R&D costs).  When everyone else figures this out they manipulate there own existing materials to get the same result.  This is exactly what I am doing.  Using a 7.62 bolt in an upper barreled in a 6.5 with reformed 7.62 brass beats having to pay the exotic prices of AA products.  There may be small differences in specs but in most cases with a little info the differences are negligible.  

I am glad that this is happening.  I like the 6.5 round a lot, it has much potential both in the field and on the range.  From what I can see if production is left up to AA it will never be anything more then an exotic round that had a following once.  I don't blame AA for protecting there own interests but in my opinion there comes a point in time where the steps you take to protect become more of a detriment.  For mainstream production there needs to be mainstream acceptance and that means low prices with great performance and availability.  Where there are more people getting involved in the industry there are bound to be more ideas presented.  Any one that has studied the history of firearms and ammo can see that easily.  That is why there thousands of different guns and tens of thousands of ammo combinations.

I like the fact that I can shoot 7.62 on the cheap and then make 6.5 rounds to hunt with.  Besides I love tinkering with things, the day one of my guns is finished is the day i get board.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Glane5910:

-Pat

Its probably the barrel extension lug scratching the case during extraction. Many new AR's with the larger calibers will show scratches on the cases until the lug's sharp tips are lapped down. Just shoot it. Both of my 6.5's did that.

Thanks G5910, I appreciate the help.

-Pat
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 12:27:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Whats the deal with dies now? I've heard some hinting that Lee dies were having issues, is this still the case? also is there a case length cutter/gauge for this round yet?
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I have the Redding 6.5 dies and would recomend.  Wilson makes a case/ length gauge.  http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/sid=67648/pid=33287/sku/Wilson_Case_Gauge_6_5_Grendel
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 10:23:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Rotty:
Whats the deal with dies now? I've heard some hinting that Lee dies were having issues, is this still the case? also is there a case length cutter/gauge for this round yet?

I got the Lee set from AA and haven't had any issues that I'm aware of yet????  Also is this the gauge you speak of?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=277624
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I've got both Lee and Redding. I honestly can't tell the difference in my loaded rounds. The Lee set comes with the factory crimp die which is handy to have. The Wilson gage mentioned will help you adjust your dies so you aren't sizing too much.
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Rcd567:

I got the Lee set from AA and haven't had any issues that I'm aware of yet????  Also is this the gauge you speak of?

Actually no, I did find the on I am looking for, it is the lee case length gauge/cutter....
this one
Lee Case length gauge
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 10:45:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Rcd567:

Actually no, I did find the on I am looking for, it is the lee case length gauge/cutter....
this one
Lee Case length gauge

You should get one of the Wilson gages also. I'd never used one before so I tried one. I found out I had been over working my cases by sizing them down more than needed. It will help your cases last longer.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Is a follower change all that is required to make a standard gi mag run 6.5 ? And will it work in p mags?
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#29]
mine runs fine with no changes, Pmags work really well too
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:13:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I wanted one already, now I really really want one
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 3:29:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Unmodified Pmags work for the Grendel?  I'm having major issues with my Grendel from a wonky 6.5 mag and I have no others mags until my order comes in which may be quite awhile.  I've got plenty of Pmags so if I can use them that would be awesome.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Try em, mine likes them
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 5:31:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I will, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#34]
OK I know this is an older thread but here goes. I'm building a new upper in 6.5 Grendel. I will break in the barrel using the factory Hornady SST round as it is readily available to me. I was wondering about all the other Grendel-like lables and if any can be used in the 6.5 Grendel chamber. I wanted a functional round that that will give me some distance and accuracy and doesn't have to be reloaded so I can use it on deer sized game as well as all others from that size down. I have built several 7.62 X 39s and 1 243 WSSM. Also a larger 308. I just wasn't happy with the consistancy of the 7.62 X 39s. Yes the were fine too 250 but I wanted something flatter. The 243 WSSM was flat indeed but finding ammo was a huge cost and a pain in the A$$. I needed to hire a laborer just to carry the 308 around for me due to the weight and 2 major back surgeries so here I am.  
 What would your recomendations be as far as a buffer and spring? I am using a match grade flutted 18" mid length barrel for this build mated to a VLTOR MRU Upper. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#35]
I use a rifle length buffer assy with a tubb flat wire spring in my .264 lbc.
I feel your pain man. I was lined up 3x's for spinal fusion.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#36]
In nor 100% sure but are you asking about the different Grendel chambering.  If that is the question there are several different variants of the Grendel chamber but they all use the same ammunition.

I have used the 123 SST on deer and its OK but its a little soft in my opinion.  It puts them down but the bullet definitely comes apart.  Precision firearms, Alexander Arms and probably others sell loaded ammunition for the Grendel that is a little more suited for deer but they are a little pricy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Blacks Hills loads ammo for Les Baer and it is labeled 6.5 Grendel but is only sold by Les Baer.  I bought some several years ago and I'm not sure if this ammo is still for sale.  The LB ammo I bought uses Sierra 123 SMK bullet and Lapua brass but I read where later batches used Hornady brass.  This ammo functions in both my 6.5 Grendel AR-15's and is accurate.  

Wolf has imported two brass cased loads into the USA but not recently, the first batch were 120 grain soft point.  The second batch used a 120 grain MPT (Multi Purpose Tactical) bullet and is good ammo.  The Soft point ammo had soft brass and a poor quality bullet which wasn't worth buying IMHO.  The MPT & SP were manufactured by Privi Partisan and Graf's sell's Privi components.   Wolf also imported one batch of Steel case 6.5 Grendel using a 100 grain FMJ which was loaded by Branual in Russia.  With the hostilities in Ukraine the future delivery of Wolf steel case 6.5 Grendel is in question.

Nosler has manufactured 6.5 Grendel brass but I haven't seen where Nosler has released loaded ammo.  I reload for the 6.5 Grendel and I have had great results using several different bullets and powder.  The popularity of 6.5 Grendel is increasing and I think the ammo companies and firearms manufactures  are starting to notice.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#38]
I recently purchases 100 rounds of 264LBC from Les Baer.  The ones i got 123gn hdy amax.  Shot a .5" group after figuring out the thread protector was loose causing the group to open up significantly.  I also have 300rd of the 123gn amax from hdy.  Not nearly as accurate as the black hills ammo.  Will be ordering some more BH ammo as soon as i can.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#39]
On the ammo:

Wolf imported a 123gr Soft Point initially, made by Prvi Partizan out of Serbia.  Then came the 120gr MPT.

There have been at least 2 major shipments of steel cased ammo imported by Wolf in 2014.

Hornady dominates the market in terms of volume with the 123gr A-MAX and 123gr SST loads.

AA has 5 different factory loads.

Precision Firearms has around 2 dozen different factory loads.

Black Hills has made several different loads, starting with the 123gr SMK, then the 123gr A-MAX.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:57:16 PM EDT
[#40]
I've killed more deer than you can shake a stick at with 123SST. Have never had a problem with the coming apart.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:14:09 PM EDT
[#41]
My Grendel is built on an 18" ARP 264LBC barrel/bolt with a M16 Carrier, mid length gas system, and H2 buffer with a carbine spring and ASC 10 and 15 round magazines. 100% reliable and the gassing is perfect with Hornady 123gr SSTs and the Wolf Gold

Hope that helps! After deployment she'll be getting a lighter keymod forearm and a Vortex PST 2.5 - 10 (Hate this Leupold's eye relief)

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:20:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cjgem] [#42]
Grendels at the range.  Both have Sabre defense barrels shooting factory Hornady 123 Amax.

1st, 13" Grendel Sabre barrel cut down by ADCO.  This Barrel replaced a stainless AA barrel that I had cut down to 12.5 (Heavy Bull barrel).  I went longer because I have an AA XLP piston on this rifle and the extra .5" gave me more room to adjust the gas with a suppressor attached.

Was really surprised with the Velocity of this Barrel.  Both these Sabre Barrels are on the faster side

2nd, 14.5" Sabre Defense barrel.

This barrel was only 20-30 fps slower than a 18" custom Bartlien cut rifled 5R barrel I sold after I chrono'd this barrel.

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#43]
^^^ nice looking rifles and very impressive velocity considering the barrel length.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#44]
There was another member here who was averaging 2420fps with his 14.5" Saber Defense barrel with Hornady 123gr factory ammo.

My AA 16" barrel averages 2460fps with 123gr Hornady A-MAX factory.

Gunwritr's 12.5" data falls in line with this too if you go and look at at it.

One thing that I'm noticing is that the 18" barrels I have chrono'd with the same loads in my 16" are about the same, within 20fps of each other.

When you jump up to 20", you get a noticeable velocity increase breaking 2500fps and up to 2600fps with some barrels.

The SBR's with a 129gr Nosler Accubind Long Range projectile offer something the hunter really hasn't had before, namely a very flat shooting load with a lot of retained energy, very low wind drift, and rapid expansion out to ranges that are 3x the common hunting distances at least.

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 12:40:33 AM EDT
[#45]
I just confirmed with Hornady yesterday that the data they have listed on their site for 16" Grendel when you look at ammo, is in fact the 14.5" pinned to 16" legal length, AA Grendel carbine.

Alexander Arms sent them:

14.5" Carbine
24" Grendel Rifle
18" Grendel

They used the 14.5" (pinned to 16") to do the load data for their 8th Edition Handbook of Cartridge Reloading.  It is listed as a 14.5" barrel in the 8th Edition.

They used the 18" for their 9th Edition.

I have them both here on my desk for reference.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 11:25:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Is bolt failure still an issue with the Grendel? I am looking to build an upper for western deer hunting (300-400 yard shots a possibility) and a lot of what I have read says the 6.8 is a better choice when reliability is a concern. However all of that was a at least a couple years old. What are the current reviews?
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:28:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Bolt breakage with the SAAMI spec bolt is not a problem with quality 6.5 Grendel bolts as long as pressures are kept within spec.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:01:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Good thread...... I been looking at building a 6.5 Grendel.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:28:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#49]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#50]
4 new factory loads from Federal, including Gold Medal Match 130gr Berger Hybrid OTM.

90gr TNT 3000fps American Eagle 50rd box
120gr BTHP Match American Eagle brand
120gr Fusion
130gr Berger Hybrid OTM Gold Medal Match

I have a lot of the 90gr TNT and 120gr BTHP Match.

It's very fast and accurate in my testing from my Lilja 318 barrel, lightweight AR15.
Page / 10
6.5 Grendel FAQ (Page 9 of 10)
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top