Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2005 8:39:05 AM EDT
Anybody shot one of these yet? I'm thinking of buying one but would like to hear some first hand accounts of the performance of this rifle.  Seems kinda heavy.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Good things to come!

Supposedly the .300 Remington SAUM offerings from DPMS will increase in early 2006. The word is DPMS will be offering a .300 Upper (with mags) that can be changed out with a .308 upper and used on a .308 lower. Word is also that an upper may be available with a 24” barrel. Currently the only option is a complete rifle with a 20” barrel.

If you think this would be a good thing, then make sure you call or email DPMS and let them know that there is a demand for such a thing. Doing so would probably help to insure that it does happen, and will happen hopefully sooner than later!

I was just about to buy a .300 rifle when I got the word on the possible upper option, as such I am going to wait and keep my fingers crossed.

I really like the .300 Remington SAUM, especially now that DPMS is offering an autoloader to go with it. The only draw backs I see are:
1. DPMS was only offering a 20” barrel which did not allow you to take full advantage of the .300s ballistic capability. With the possible new 24” offering from DPMS that would be solved.
2. The ammo offerings for the .300 Remington SAUM are really limited, especially when it comes to Match/Tactical ammo. I am only aware of 1 round which is the one offered by Remington, I am not aware of any offerings from Federal or Black Hills. I prefer to shoot out of the box ammo, so I would really like to see the offerings increased. I am not sure if shooting the .300 Remington SAUM would be worth having to get into loading, but it may come down to that.

If anyone does have any experience with the .300 DPMS then please share it.

Thanks,
“Capt Richardson”
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I want one!

I also thoght 20" was too short a tube for a magnum caliber. 22" or 24" is the way to go.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:09:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Good things to come!

Supposedly the .300 Remington SAUM offerings from DPMS will increase in early 2006. The word is DPMS will be offering a .300 Upper (with mags) that can be changed out with a .308 upper and used on a .308 lower. Word is also that an upper may be available with a 24” barrel. Currently the only option is a complete rifle with a 20” barrel.

If you think this would be a good thing, then make sure you call or email DPMS and let them know that there is a demand for such a thing. Doing so would probably help to insure that it does happen, and will happen hopefully sooner than later!

I was just about to buy a .300 rifle when I got the word on the possible upper option, as such I am going to wait and keep my fingers crossed.

I really like the .300 Remington SAUM, especially now that DPMS is offering an autoloader to go with it. The only draw backs I see are:
1. DPMS was only offering a 20” barrel which did not allow you to take full advantage of the .300s ballistic capability. With the possible new 24” offering from DPMS that would be solved.
2. The ammo offerings for the .300 Remington SAUM are really limited, especially when it comes to Match/Tactical ammo. I am only aware of 1 round which is the one offered by Remington, I am not aware of any offerings from Federal or Black Hills. I prefer to shoot out of the box ammo, so I would really like to see the offerings increased. I am not sure if shooting the .300 Remington SAUM would be worth having to get into loading, but it may come down to that.

If anyone does have any experience with the .300 DPMS then please share it.

Thanks,
“Capt Richardson”

Do I understand that as of now the .300 SAUM uses a different lower than the DPMS .308 LR???  I thought it was just a different upper.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry if there was some confusion, the .300 rifle uses the same lower as the .308 rifle.

Currently you can only buy the .300 as a complete rifle (.300 upper, .300 mags, and .308 lower)

If we get lucky in 2006 you will be able to buy only the .300 upper (with .300 mags), and use it with your existing .308 lower.

The current complete .300 rifle is around $1,100-$1,200, but if we are lucky we might be able to get only the .300 upper (with mags) in 2006 for around $700-$800.

My game plan would be to switch the .300 and .308 uppers out on a common .308 lower. At this point I can't see a need to have both the .300 and .308 as complete rifles, and I will not be complaining about being able to save a couple of hundred of dollars.

Good Luck,
"Capt Richardson"
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top