Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2017 2:38:46 PM EDT
Hey guys, i'm new to the community and need some help.  I just ordered my first stripped lower and am excited to start building a rifle.  I find it very difficult to find out what barrels are good for the price.  For starters, I am looking for a 20" barrel that can shoot 5.56.  I want it to be accurate and good at shooting long ranges, plus I really like the looks of a 20" barrel. I know it's not the most practical or whatever, but that is the length that I decided I want.  I was looking at the white oak armament barrels, but the 20" 1:8 threaded barrels are back ordered and I don't want to wait.  What are some other good barrels that I can look into? I don't want to spend more than $300(thats already over my budget), but I don't want to skimp on the barrel either. I heard the aero precision barrels are okay, but the cheap cost has me worried.  So, what are some good 20" barrels withing the 150-300$ range that will give me the best bang for my buck?

By the way, the rifle will mostly just be used for firing at the range at 100 yards; but I still want the 20" barrel and for it to be capable of shooting out further with good accuracy. I know the barrel is just one factor that goes into shooting accuracy, but that's the only part I am looking at currently.  One step at a time.

So far I am looking at the woa barrel I mentioned along with the rock river arms 20" 1:8 twist, larue 5.56 stealth barrel, and the Wilson Combat Match Grade 20" 1:8.  I like the price of the larue, anyone know if it's in the same ballpark as the others?  I also like that all of these are chambered for the .223 wylde.

Decided on the LaRue barrel. I figure for a lower budget ar it's not worth spending the extra money on a TOP brand barrel.  I don't think it will make a difference for me any time soon.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:02:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#2]
as I was editing my post to include that.  It's hard to pass up that price!
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I ordered a barrel from Ballistic Advantage, 17.7 in 223 wylde, it came with a free upper receiver.. I haven't been able to see it or shoot it yet but my friend said it looks amazing. Right now BA is offering a free stripped lower with purchase of $175 or more...

http://ballisticadvantage.com/20-inch-556-dmr-rifle-length-cmv-performance-barrel.html
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#5]
My LaRue 20" barrel is currently not in use, but when it was installed it will stack em'. Gonna build another upper for it soon.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Hell, there's a BCM 20" upper on the EE right now.  Slap in some M5 RAS and have yourself a M16A4 clone
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out the Wilson Arms HBAR and bull barrels here...

http://www.jsesurplus.com
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Late to the game, but PSA 20" CHF (cold hammer forged) using an FN 20" barrel, complete upper minus CH and BCG. Hard to beat, excellent barrel. 

PSA CHF 20", click me
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ordered a barrel from Ballistic Advantage, 17.7 in 223 wylde, it came with a free upper receiver.. I haven't been able to see it or shoot it yet but my friend said it looks amazing. Right now BA is offering a free stripped lower with purchase of $175 or more...

http://ballisticadvantage.com/20-inch-556-dmr-rifle-length-cmv-performance-barrel.html
View Quote
I would go with the 17.7 in .223 Wylde you will love it and the weight compared to an HBAR 20"

LaRue & Criterion would be other choices

Green Mountain makes a really great barrel at a bargain price.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#13]
The Larue barrel is a great choice. I have 3 SPR's. One is my 3gun rifle and it has the BA Hansen 17.7" barrel and is shoots 5rds just under a inch. The second one has a 18" predatar barrel and it shoots a tad better than the BA barrel. The third has a 18" Larue Stealth barrel.  It is the most accurate, but the rifle weighs 10.5lbs with the scope. The Stealth barrels are heavy and the 20" will be quite heavy. Unless you bench shoot it all the time I wouldn't recommend anything longer than 18". Plus a 18 vs 20 won't be more accurate and velocity won't be much more in the 20".

ETA: make sure you add the mbt2 trigger to your order when you order the barrel. It's only another 99.00 which is discounted from the normal price and a phenomial trigger.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

GM bbls are excellent. I had one awhile back, kind of miss it.

(Now I want to get back into SPR ).
View Quote
I've done 3 builds using GM and all are great shooters, also done 2 builds using Odin barrels which are also shooters but more money than GM's.
Just order a McGowen built to my specs for a 6.5 Grendel build I'm starting. The only bummer is there's a 10wk leadtime on their custom barrels.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:18:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I've used a Windham Weaponry barrel on my 20" build and have been very happy with it. It's 4150 steel, 1:7 twist, and chromelined. Perfect for what I wanted. I'd suggest giving them a look, they're even on sale right now.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#16]
If buying a .223 Wylde AR barrel tomorrow, in order, I'd buy:

1. LaRue Stealth
2. Lothar Walther
3. Criterion
4. White Oak Armament
5. Douglas
6. Rainier Ultramatch
7. Green Mountain
7. Faxon Match
8. Ballistic Advantage Hanson
9. Daniel Defense CHF
10. AR-15 Performance

The following are only ranked this way for price alone, but these are the most accurate AR barrels in order* - on Earth:

9. Bartlein*
10. Krieger*
11. Proof Research*
12. Lilja*

I'm a 6.5 Grendel and .223 Wylde guy and the best two AR barrels overall from a weighted, accuracy, longevity, and value perspective are:

LaRue Stealth in .223 Wylde.

- and -

Alexander Arms in 6.5 Grendel.

a. Both are sub .5 moa with handloads.

b. Both are in the top 3 most accurate button-rifled barrels in their caliber IMO.

c. At $220 for the LaRue and $195 for the Alexander Arms, the value of these two barrels is unmatched in the industry, IMO.

Hope this helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top