Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2017 11:53:01 PM EDT
First, I already own both of these. I am not interested in anything else as I don't need yet ANOTHER rail without a home.

I am building a 14.5" upper that will be shot suppressed 90% of the time. Purpose will actually be to take over my as my primary HD rifle. It'll see some range use but primary purpose is HD.

At first most people (and myself) instantly lean towards the geissele, however I'm not counting the ALG out. I think the shape may be more ergonomic than the MK8. The round shape may also look better with a suppressor as well.

I know both rails have a reputation of being quite tough so I'm not terribly concerned about that unless one is significantly tougher than the other. I know the mounting systems are very different but I'm not sure if the added strength of the MK8 is worth the added bulk.

So to help me make up my mind, if you have these rails on a 14.5", please post pictures. Suppressed rifles especially appreciated.

PS. Big thanks to Geissele for their support of local competitions.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:57:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I have both of those rails and the additional standoff of the Mk8 makes it my preferred choice. Put some of the type 2 MLOK covers on it and the shape is ergo, plus they are grippy as hell. Best combo I've found.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:35:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Have both. Prefer the G for same use, less contact area with hands if hot and dissipates quicker.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#3]
For your uses?  I'd go ALG.  Just my opinion, based on ergonomics.

I was a guy who originally had all Mk4s and 8s on my ARs and slowly swapped roughly half of them out for EMRs just for that reason.

If heat is a concern, wrap a couple layers of McNett Camo Form around the handguard and call it a day.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:38:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses. Does anyone have pictures?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top