Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2017 12:12:28 PM EDT
Just received this WMD nickel boron BCG from the Primary Arms sale recently and noticed the gas key is improperly staked.. What corrective action should I take? And has anyone else had this or any other poor experience from WMD?

Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks ok to me.
The other two you have were super staked though.

Edit: hard to tell on phone but the right side of the WMD still has metal pushed towards the fasteners right?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I was just making sure I'm not crazy, thanks.  The right is less staked, overall the screws and the stake job just kinda threw me off.. especially with everything I had read about WMD.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#4]
hard to tell for sure, but looks like the stakes are pretty solid.  I mean, look at those big ass divots on the side.  Might be an illusion because those are weird looking allen screws.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#5]
It is hard to tell but I think it looks good. My wmd has been great. It'll shoot almost 1/4 MOA with my stealth barrel.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Its good to go.  Those special gas key screws have indentations and there is sufficient displacement into them to keep them in place.  Looks like my WMD bought direct from WMD.  Thousands of rounds on mine
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Those are specially made, modern gas key screws made just for gas keys. I believe they are from Michiguns. Ned Christiansen developed them.
They allow for moderate staking to prevent over-staking, thus potentially ruining the screw and breaking at the stem of the socket screw cap.

It is the most modern and well thought out gas key screw made.
You made out well.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#8]
It does not look like the staking was as even as I would prefer, but in reality I doubt it would be a problem.
You could send a pic to WMD.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I was going to say that it seems fine to me.  Could you get a pic in closer on the WMD?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#10]
They look fine to me.  As long as metal is touching the screw, you are fine. That first carrier has been staked like someone's life depended on it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#11]
First off you never know, a life could depend on it (let's hope not) but the first is also BCM so they take these things very seriously. PA was very kind to send me return labels and guarantee the replacement would be staked better. I appreciate all your help and advices though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:03:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Those are specially made, modern gas key screws made just for gas keys. I believe they are from Michiguns. Ned Christiansen developed them.
They allow for moderate staking to prevent over-staking, thus potentially ruining the screw and breaking at the stem of the socket screw cap.

It is the most modern and well thought out gas key screw made.
You made out well.  
View Quote
Just so others won't make the same mistake of sending back the WMD BCG pictured,

Ned Christiansen OCKS: Optimized Carrier Key Screw. Google it, read it, enjoy the info.
I hope ReconOx didn't see my previous post, and made an honest mistake by asking for a new BCG.

The WMD BCG was good to go.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:56:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm actually deployed right now, I have a friend who's taking care of it and it was basically sent back as soon as I had the first reply telling me to return it. Since I'm gone it's not like I'm waiting for it to use my rifle though so if I get the same thing staked slightly better no harm no foul on my end.  Also the PA rep seemed in complete agreement that it looked strange. I'll definitely look into thst screw system anyways though, thanks for the reference.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#14]
You're welcome.

Stay safe out there!
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I dont think you've got anything to worry about.

WMD will stand by their products, no matter what you decide.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top