Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Question, as the answer has really just been hinted at:

Is this a 14.5" barrel with KAC's E3 gas system length?

If so, did it come that way from KAC, or was it modified by a third party?
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
It is completely unmodified except for the swapping of the KAC flash hider for the Silencerco flash hider (before anyone asks, I never shot it suppressed).
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, send it back to KAC and let them look at it.  I understand you're upset, but sending it back to where it was purchased from isn't going to help you.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It is completely unmodified except for the swapping of the KAC flash hider for the Silencerco flash hider (before anyone asks, I never shot it suppressed).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll repeat the question: Is this a 14.5" barrel with KAC's gas system length?
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Watch OP disappear now.
View Quote

I'm still here.  As I mentioned, I'm working with the retailer.  If that doesn't work, I'll work with KAC.  The difference between now and yesterday at this time is that KAC has offered to check out the rifle, which I appreciate.  I don't have much more to say, so I probably will quiet down a little.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think (could be wrong, but I don't think I am) I fully answered your question.  To my knowledge, KAC only makes one 14.5" E3 Mod 2 (one in Keymod, one in MLok, but the only difference is the rail), which comes with their straight "intermediate" length gas system.  So, if I said that it is unmodified, one could deduce that it is that system.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OP, send it back to KAC and let them look at it.  I understand you're upset, but sending it back to where it was purchased from isn't going to help you.
View Quote
If I replace it with something that shoots Federal XM193 (and PMC Bronze) reliably it will, especially if I save several hundred dollars in the process.   OH I FORGOT!!!!!!! I used the exact same ammo out of my Echo-Trigger Equipped BCM Recce 16 range toy!  Because it is a range toy I didn't even think of it, but I have close to a 1,000 out of that now, too. . . . not a single malfunction . . . and out of all the 5.56 rifles I own/have owned, if something were to malfunction, one might think that it would be that!
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#8]
This is turning into some kind of backwards Tooth and Nail thread. OP, send the gun to KA and let them check it out, what's the problem?
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm still here.  As I mentioned, I'm working with the retailer.  If that doesn't work, I'll work with KAC.  The difference between now and yesterday at this time is that KAC has offered to check out the rifle, which I appreciate.  I don't have much more to say, so I probably will quiet down a little.  
View Quote
Why are you working with who you bought it from? KAC provides the warranty service. Send it in and have them check it out. What are you waiting for?
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#10]
(Summary)
Op provides us with a "public service announcement" about his rifle. KAC offers to "fix" it. He refuses.

(Op's PSA so far)
-"overpriced for that quality."
-"NOT COMPATIBLE WITH XM193!!!!"
-"However, I can't (and you shouldn't) trust this rifle."
-"temperamental snowflake of a rifle that needs to be coddled with only PMC Bronze ammo."
-" if anyone wants a KAC 14.5" upper that may get you killed, let me know. I have one for sale."
-"There's no one else to blame it on if they're doing the production"
-"a $2K gun that can't digest reasonable quality ammo."
-"Do we think the "SR" "SR-15" stands for "Semi-Reliable" or "Speculatively-Risky"?"
-"Buyer Beware."

Does not take a detective to diagnose this thread.
Interesting bits in red there I must say.

ETA: This was worth it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If I replace it with something that shoots Federal XM193 (and PMC Bronze) reliably it will, especially if I save several hundred dollars in the process.   OH I FORGOT!!!!!!! I used the exact same ammo out of my Echo-Trigger Equipped BCM Recce 16 range toy!  Because it is a range toy I didn't even think of it, but I have close to a 1,000 out of that now, too. . . . not a single malfunction . . . and out of all the 5.56 rifles I own/have owned, if something were to malfunction, one might think that it would be that!
View Quote
If all you're looking to do is get rid of the gun, then what's the point of this thread?  I understand you're upset, but letting KAC look at the thing and diagnose whatever the issue is DOES help you out in the long run.  At the very least, when you go to sell it, you can definitively say the gun is issue free.

Sitting here bashing the company while not allowing them to try and rectify the issue (something they've offered to do, for free, multiple times now) just makes you look like a tool and detracts from the "message" you're trying to convey with this thread.

Obviously, it's your choice, but acting the way you're acting is making you look like a petulant child.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why are you working with who you bought it from? KAC provides the warranty service. Send it in and have them check it out. What are you waiting for?
View Quote
I'm a One Strike guy.  I don't have the time (your life may be different than mine) to beta-test products for companies.  I could (and eventually may) send it back to KAC, but if I go that route, a) I'll never trust the rifle that doesn't work with XM193, and b) I don't think I should have to re-test it to try and make myself more comfortable.

I bought it with the express purpose of being "the first rifle I would grab if I could could only grab one".  I can't imagine it ever being anything other than the last at this point . . . so I'd rather not have it at all.  That's why I'm not sending it back right now.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watch OP disappear now.

Why not send it KAC?
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:57:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm a One Strike guy.  I don't have the time (your life may be different than mine) to beta-test products for companies.  I could (and eventually may) send it back to KAC, but if I go that route, a) I'll never trust the rifle that doesn't work with XM193, and b) I don't think I should have to re-test it to try and make myself more comfortable.

I bought it with the express purpose of being "the first rifle I would grab if I could could only grab one".  I can't imagine it ever being anything other than the last at this point . . . so I'd rather not have it at all.  That's why I'm not sending it back right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What you describe sounds like a feed issue.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
(Summary)
Op provides us with a "public service announcement" about his rifle. KAC offers to "fix" it. He refuses.

(Op's PSA so far)
-"overpriced for that quality."
-"NOT COMPATIBLE WITH XM193!!!!"
-"However, I can't (and you shouldn't) trust this rifle."
-"temperamental snowflake of a rifle that needs to be coddled with only PMC Bronze ammo."
-" if anyone wants a KAC 14.5" upper that may get you killed, let me know. I have one for sale."
-"There's no one else to blame it on if they're doing the production"
-"a $2K gun that can't digest reasonable quality ammo."
-"Do we think the "SR" "SR-15" stands for "Semi-Reliable" or "Speculatively-Risky"?"
-"Buyer Beware."

Does not take a detective to diagnose this thread.
Interesting bits in red there I must say.
View Quote
And what would the diagnosis be?  That I'm a pissed-off customer?  Yep.  Are you suggesting something different?  Like, I'm some sort of covert bomb-thrower for a different company . . . please.  I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but I'm actually curious as to what your theory may be.

Just imagine how much different all of this would have been if "Bill" would have said, "Oh shoot, that doesn't seem right, send it in and we'll check it out."  Y'all would have never heard a peep from me.  Instead, the BS (edit:  BS as in "should not be the culprit"), "XM193 is the culprit" line came out.  EVERYTHING ELSE has emanated from that.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
lol, then just request this thread be deleted.  You are quite literally the only person I've ever seen who's had issues with M193 not functioning in an SR15, so it's not like this is a recurring issue with these rifles.  Now, it very well may be an issue with the gun and occasionally every manufacturer has a bad item slip through QC.  Usually, those companies will then step up and offer to fix the issue, which is exactly what's happening right now.  The only catch is, you won't let them.

Now, that's all well and fine and it's 100% your choice, but that just further goes to prove this is nothing more than a "I want to cry" thread that has no technical merit and shouldn't be in this forum.  If you're a "1 strike and I'm done" type of guy, that's all this thread has been from the beginning.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

lol, then just request this thread be deleted.  You are quite literally the only person I've ever seen who's had issues with M193 not functioning in an SR15, so it's not like this is a recurring issue with these rifles.  Now, it very well may be an issue with the gun and occasionally every manufacturer has a bad item slip through QC.  Usually, those companies will then step up and offer to fix the issue, which is exactly what's happening right now.  The only catch is, you won't let them.

Now, that's all well and fine and it's 100% your choice, but that just further goes to prove this is nothing more than a "I want to cry" thread that has no technical merit and shouldn't be in this forum.  If you're a "1 strike and I'm done" type of guy, that's all this thread has been from the beginning.  
View Quote
Believe it or not, I don't disagree with much of this.  What needs to be highlighted is that WITHOUT THE THREAD IN THE FIRST PLACE, they never would have offered to take the rifle in.  Now that the XM193 issue has been highlighted, they have offered to take it back in (which, again, is appreciated).  Why does it take a public thread for a company to step up?  Where I disagree is that this thread never was intended to be an "I want to cry" thread.  Bill offered to edit the website to "warn" about XM193.  I was just bringing it to the fore and seeing if anyone had ever had a similar issue (as he said it was pretty commonly-understood).

When they offered to take it back in, I said I would probably quiet down, but then certain folks decided to go ad-hominem, so it's had the opposite effect.  You can disagree all you want, but I doubt too many of you, if you were in my shoes, would settle for a $2,000+ rifle that has to be "factory reconditioned."

Oh, and I'm assuming you'll take KAC's at their word that they've also had XM193 issues, so I am no longer the "only person" with XM193 issues.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Also, all XM193 is Federal/Lake City.
View Quote
Are you sure?: Independence XM193

Also, under "M193":  IMI M193
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Believe it or not, I don't disagree with much of this.  What needs to be highlighted is that WITHOUT THE THREAD IN THE FIRST PLACE, they never would have offered to take the rifle in.  Now that the XM193 issue has been highlighted, they have offered to take it back in (which, again, is appreciated).  Why does it take a public thread for a company to step up?  Where I disagree is that this thread never was intended to be an "I want to cry" thread.  Bill offered to edit the website to "warn" about XM193.  I was just bringing it to the fore and seeing if anyone had ever had a similar issue (as he said it was pretty commonly-understood).

When they offered to take it back in, I said I would probably quiet down, but then certain folks decided to go ad-hominem, so it's had the opposite effect.  You can disagree all you want, but I doubt too many of you, if you were in my shoes, would settle for a $2,000+ rifle that has to be "factory reconditioned."

Oh, and I'm assuming you'll take KAC's at their word that they've also had XM193 issues, so I am no longer the "only person" with XM193 issues.
View Quote
You seem to be misunderstanding what exact issues KAC has described with XM193.  What they've described is not the issue that you are describing with your gun.  They've never said they've experienced double feeds or anything of the sort.  They have said that they've seen QC issues with XM193 related to overpressure issues (like popped primers, etc.), but that those issues would affect any manufacturer's rifle, not just theirs.

This, obviously, does not describe your issue, so it would appear what you are experiencing is an outlier and not the norm, hence their willingness to bring it back in to look at it.

Listen, I understand your frustration and I've been there, but allowing your anger over the issue to interfere with getting the issue diagnosed and rectified (no matter the cause) does a disservice to everyone involved, including you.

ETA:  Also, while I wouldn't be entirely pleased with having to send something back to the manufacturer to be fixed, it does happen.  It's not like you're having to take it to an outside gunsmith for repair.  While having an issue doesn't inspire confidence, it really needs to be looked at as exactly what it is, which is a sample size of 1.  As I've said, sometimes a bad egg slips through, but when looking at the entire picture (which is a rather large consumer base that rarely have issues), it should inspire confidence that they can and will rectify the issue, no matter what it is.  No one is perfect, but IME, KAC knows what they're doing (like a lot of manufacturers that sometimes have issues crop up) and they will get you a product that functions as expected.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Bullshit. Anyone can put out a lemon (assuming that's what this is). As evidenced, you only wanted to bitch about it and not you're interested in resolving your issue. Drama llama!

Man up and send the rifle to KAC and let them take care of it. If they don't, then you have a legitimate gripe.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I appreciate that, and if things don't work out with the original vendor, I will take you up on this.  To be clear, though, Bill (thank you for finding out his name!) did NOT offer to take it in to check.

No.  This thread has moved quickly, but I detailed that above.  

Again, please see above, but yes, absolutely.  Not only on the very same day (same atmospherics, etc) with my SBR CZ Bren (zero malfunctions, except where I interfered with the reciprocating charging handle with my sling), but on prior days with my LWRCs and the Bren (zero malfunctions).  
View Quote
For the love of God.....

Either send the rifle in so KAC can check it out or sell it...but quit complaining. I had an issue which KAC took care of for me after sending the rifle back.  Bitching on the internet won't fix it. Ill trade you a Colt 6920 for it. Works great with XM193.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I feel like there is a disconnect here.
What did you interpret my answer to be?

We recommend against LC M193 due to a propensity to lose primers in some lots (along with a smattering of other issues, none of which are specific to KAC), which will potentially render any firearm inoperable, and potentially damage the rifle.

We then repeatedly offered to bring the rifle in under warranty for evaluation. It is possible that there is an issue, and we want to find it and fix it if there is.

My sales associate (not representative) mis-spoke to the customer about incompatibility. That was a mistake. That misunderstanding has been corrected.
Any in-spec 5.56 or .223 ammunition SHOULD run an SR-15. Low spectrum stuff like Wolf may show issues, depending on circumstance. Anything at or above PMC 55gr Bronze line will be just fine from a functional standpoint.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
KAC gave you your answer.  In my opinion it is a rather lame one, but they have doubled down on it, so there you go OP. Comparing their response to other vendors that are quite popular on this site is rather telling.  I would sell it and move on.  Thank you for posting this as I just recently considering purchasing a KAC rifle to see what all the hype was about.  I still may buy one, but at least now I wont have any illusions.  Oh yeah, OP, you know what you have to do.  
http://oi39.tinypic.com/1t3g28.jpg
I feel like there is a disconnect here.
What did you interpret my answer to be?

We recommend against LC M193 due to a propensity to lose primers in some lots (along with a smattering of other issues, none of which are specific to KAC), which will potentially render any firearm inoperable, and potentially damage the rifle.

We then repeatedly offered to bring the rifle in under warranty for evaluation. It is possible that there is an issue, and we want to find it and fix it if there is.

My sales associate (not representative) mis-spoke to the customer about incompatibility. That was a mistake. That misunderstanding has been corrected.
Any in-spec 5.56 or .223 ammunition SHOULD run an SR-15. Low spectrum stuff like Wolf may show issues, depending on circumstance. Anything at or above PMC 55gr Bronze line will be just fine from a functional standpoint.
The fact that you don't see this exhausts me more.   He never would have posted on here if these basic customer service rules were followed on his initial phone call.  "We're sorry, we make an awesome product, you happiness is very important to us.  Send us your KAC and we will do whatever necessary to make it right." Then STFU. It's not complicated.  Yes, now you are trying to explain why your employee was right to say what he said xm193 culprit, while at the same time now doing what should have been done from the start. I really don't care but you felt the need to challenge my post so, Covfefe.  It's understandable to me, but like I said before, I will still consider a KAC in the future.  I just understand why OP is now disillusioned with you company.   He sounds like he can afford to buy whatever he likes and expects premium service along with the premium product and prices.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Bullshit. Anyone can put out a lemon (assuming that's what this is). As evidenced, you only wanted to bitch about it and not you're interested in resolving your issue. Drama llama!

Man up and send the rifle to KAC and let them take care of it. If they don't, then you have a legitimate gripe.
View Quote
You're calling "Bullshit" on my post that was 100% personal choice and personal prerogative.  That's an interesting way to approach a discussion.

Fact:  Four ( FOUR!!!!) separate rifles, two of which were considerably cheaper than the KAC, significantly outperformed the KAC with the same exact ammo.

Fact:  (with respect to the statement about putting out lemons): KAC's website says that they test "every product manufactured" to "scrutinized all aspects of the platform."  So, either their representations aren't true, or their processes are inadequate.  (Not necessarily fact:  Based on my conversations with KAC, I don't think this is an outlier/lemon....Bill was WAYYYYY to quick to zero in on the ammo issue, and stuck to it like a dog with a bone when I was searching for alternative explanations).  

Query for @Jack_L :  how many rounds would KAC need to put through a Lemon to confirm that it has been corrected?
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:34:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

For the love of God.....

Either send the rifle in so KAC can check it out or sell it...but quit complaining. I had an issue which KAC took care of for me after sending the rifle back.  Bitching on the internet won't fix it. Ill trade you a Colt 6920 for it. Works great with XM193.
View Quote
All of my responses since KAC have been in response to people like you that have attacked me personally.  Every one.  My "bitching" is 100% responsive (and often times would. E unnecessary if everyone exercised basic reading comprehension).
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The fact that you don't see this exhausts me more.   He never would have posted on here if these basic customer service rules were followed on his initial phone call.  "We're sorry, we make an awesome product, you happiness is very important to us.  Send us your KAC and we will do whatever necessary to make it right." Then STFU. It's not complicated.  Yes, now you are trying to explain why your employee was right to say what he said xm193 culprit, while at the same time now doing what should have been done from the start. I really don't care but you felt the need to challenge my post so, Covfefe.  It's understandable to me, but like I said before, I will still consider a KAC in the future.  I just understand why OP is now disillusioned with you company.   He sounds like he can afford to buy whatever he likes and expects premium service along with the premium product and prices.
View Quote
He literally stated "my employee misspoke."  Not quite sure where you're getting that he's trying to explain how the employee was right when he clearly stated the exact opposite.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:41:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd be complaining too OP. Every $400 AR-15 can shoot M193, so a $2k gun should be able to do it, and the fact that it can't is astounding. I'd return it in a heartbeat and go buy three or four PSA rifles that work. It's weird that one of the most expensive AR-15 manufacturers tells you to shoot the cheapest brass ammo on the market for it to be reliable. Just weird.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:57:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
He literally stated "my employee misspoke."  Not quite sure where you're getting that he's trying to explain how the employee was right when he clearly stated the exact opposite.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He literally made that statement to me, "my employee misspoke", not to OP.  He did espouse the shortcomings of the xm193 before walking it back.  This thread is bordering on rediculous.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'd be complaining too OP. Every $400 AR-15 can shoot M193, so a $2k gun should be able to do it, and the fact that it can't is astounding. I'd return it in a heartbeat and go buy three or four PSA rifles that work. It's weird that one of the most expensive AR-15 manufacturers tells you to shoot the cheapest brass ammo on the market for it to be reliable. Just weird.
View Quote
Oh FFS. Every $400 AR can shoot M193 with a less than 1% failure rate? (7 failures in 700-900 rounds according to the OP)
Everything else has already been cleared up. The KAC rep that OP spoke to was misinformed/explained things wrong. Jack L said that "Bill" the rep had been corrected since.
Google "M193 problems" and you'll see that problems with M193 (IMI / Independence especially) are not unheard of. OP is stubborn and unrelenting, and because "Bill" hurt his feelings he's not willing to give the mfg a chance to check out his rifle.
Maybe the gas port is oversized! Who knows? Shit happens. But OP is making it impossible to help him and coming across as a teen throwing a temper tantrum because mom got the wrong kind of pop tarts.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I purchased 1k of xm193 (federal lake City mind you) and had 1 round induce a baffle strike in my FA556-212. Had to have my silencer re-cored by Surefire, where they determined my upper and mount were not to blame but it was indeed the round.

After getting the silencer back, I ended up with a mag from that batch of 1k in a class. I ended up getting a end cap strike, which fortunately is just cosmetic.

My point to this is that two rounds in the entire batch of 1k were bad. You had 7, it happens.

Personally I'm never purchasing XM193 again, after a solid baffle strike and then reoccurring with an end cap strike.

Being recommended against use isn't the same as "will not work".
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:21:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Boy this has sure turned out to be one of those Cluster Da Fuk threads..

Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:27:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, all XM193 is Federal/Lake City.

Yes I'm sure.

Independence is an ATK brand, ATK = Federal = Lake City

It even says on the page "Made by ATK the Independance brand reflects all the positive aspects of Federal, Blazer and Lake City made ammunition at a value brand price"

I never said anything about M193, thats a military designation.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:31:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

OP is stubborn and unrelenting, and because "Bill" hurt his feelings he's not willing to give the mfg a chance to check out his rifle.
Maybe the gas port is oversized! Who knows? Shit happens. But OP is making it impossible to help him and coming across as a teen throwing a temper tantrum because mom got the wrong kind of pop tarts.
View Quote
Why do you insist on being mean?  If you read through the thread, I have said nothing negative about Bill....quite the opposite.  I said he was cordial, prompt and seemed knowledgeable.  Jack L said he was wrong, not me.

Does trying to diminish me by saying that "Bill hurt my feelings" somehow make you feel big, powerful and strong?  

It's just not the way that I handle things.  Facts and logic, not ad hominem attacks, rudeness and emotion.  Those sorts of things are the tools the Diane Feinsteins and Michael Bloombergs to confuse the hearts and minds of the weak.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Why do you insist on being mean?  If you read through the thread, I have said nothing negative about Bill....quite the opposite.  I said he was cordial, prompt and seemed knowledgeable.  Jack L said he was wrong, not me.

Does trying to diminish me by saying that "Bill hurt my feelings" somehow make you feel big, powerful and strong?  

It's just not the way that I handle things.  Facts and logic, not ad hominem attacks, rudeness and emotion.  Those sorts of things are the tools the Diane Feinsteins and Michael Bloombergs to confuse the hearts and minds of the weak.
View Quote
You're using nothing but emotion in deciding not to send the rifle back to have it looked at.  You're upset that you were given incorrect/incomplete information in your phone call, so that's your "one strike" and you're done.

You also seem to be intentionally skipping over the information being provided to you in this thread by KAC, something that I'm sure is fueled by emotion or something else (I'm starting to suspect there's some sort of agenda here).

Not exactly what I'd call a very smart decision, but hopefully it works out for you.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:39:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP is stubborn and unrelenting, and because "Bill" hurt his feelings he's not willing to give the mfg a chance to check out his rifle.

Send it back.  Let them look at it. My guess is it is operator error!
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:40:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes I'm sure.

Independence is an ATK brand, ATK = Federal = Lake City

It even says on the page "Made by ATK the Independance brand reflects all the positive aspects of Federal, Blazer and Lake City made ammunition at a value brand price"

I never said anything about M193, thats a military designation.
View Quote
I've actively traded Orbital/ATK on the market, so I'm pretty familiar with the relationship between ATK and Federal.  But I'm also pretty certain (not 100%) that Independence does NOT use Lake City Brass.  the independence stuff is made in Israel and imported by FCC,
And 100% for certain not stamped with the Lake City nor the NATO Cross.

Also, KAC actually agrees with me, calling it a marketing term and not an actual product spec.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:44:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I think (could be wrong, but I don't think I am) I fully answered your question.  To my knowledge, KAC only makes one 14.5" E3 Mod 2 (one in Keymod, one in MLok, but the only difference is the rail), which comes with their straight "intermediate" length gas system.  So, if I said that it is unmodified, one could deduce that it is that system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't give a flying f about what model handguard is on the rifle. I asked a simple question. I don't want to deduce anything, I don't have KAC's model lineup memorized and have no need to do so. Just needed an answer to a simple question so as to give reasonable advice.

What your non-answer seems to indicate is that it is indeed a 14.5 inch barrel with KAC's long gas system length.  FYI, KAC's length is NOT "Intermediate" as that is something else.

KAC's gas system length is much too long for a 14.5" barrel. You have a gas system + barrel length configuration that will be sensitive to ammo variation. I would recommend nothing longer than a midlength gas system for a general use 14.5" AR barrel.

With all that said, double feed is typically not a symptom of insufficient energy. I don't believe you have really explained exactly what the malfunctions are either, despite several requests to more correctly describe what is happening. A true double feed (two live rounds in the action during the feed cycle) is almost always a magazine problem. If you have an empty case in the action while it's trying to feed the next round (not a double feed, but sometimes described as such) there are several possibilities as to what it might be.

I realize you are unhappy about your situation. You spent a lot of money on a rifle, and seem to be under the impression that that would guarantee you a super-reliable firearm. People are trying to help you but you're being dismissive of most everyone. I would suggest that you stow the chip on your shoulder and not take your frustration out on the people trying to assist.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:45:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So I will touch on a few points here.

1. Can KAC rifles handle Mil-Standard Ammo
         Yes 100% absolutely they can

2. Do we recommend XM193/M193
         Generally we don't. There are no current Mil contracts for "XM193/M193" ammunition. At this point its simply a "product name" that companies use to sell lower cost ammunition. QC on most XM193/M193 has been thrown out the window. This leads to over pressured ammunition, popped primers, brass deformations, and lowered accuracy standards.

3. We do test all SR-15's with PMC Bronze
         The reason for this is two fold. First is the consistently round to round, case to case, and lot to lot is exceptional. Its that happy middle ground in terms of velocity & pressure. Secondly is the availability of PMC in the commercial market place.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need us to bring your upper in for inspection. Ill get you an RMA and a Call Tag, if you want.
View Quote
I used to be a fan of PMC Bronze before I checked it out for myself.  PMC Bronze is not consistent.

PMC Bronze Test
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:48:25 PM EDT
[#39]
KAC...........really

OP sell it and buy a $500 AR that will eat everything..........especially the inconsistant m193.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:03:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What your non-answer seems to indicate is that it is indeed a 14.5 inch barrel with KAC's long gas system length.  FYI, KAC's length is NOT "Intermediate" as that is something else.
View Quote
You should probably tell KAC that, because they specifically say that it is on the page for my rifle:
KAC E3 Mod 2 14.5"

I'll wait for your apology.  

And, I said at least three times that it was a double feed, and clearly over and over said it was not fte ftex.  I even tried to help you out because it seemed like you didn't k is what a double feed was.  Maybe we were two ships passing in the night, but a double feed is a double feed is a double feed.  It is not an fte or ftex.  I didn't think I needed to describe it as "two live rounds trying to occupy the same space".  I think if you reread my posts, it will be abundantly clear to you.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:05:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You should probably tell KAC that, because they specifically say that it is on the page for my rifle:
KAC E3 Mod 2 14.5"

And, I said at least three times that it was a double feed, and clearly over and over said it was not fte ftex.  I even tried to help you out because it seemed like you didn't k is what a double feed was.  Maybe we were two ships passing in the night, but a double feed is a double feed is a double feed.  It is not an fte or ftex.  I didn't think I needed to describe it as "two live rounds trying to occupy the same space".  I think if you reread my posts, it will be abundantly clear to you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

KAC E3 Mod 2 14.5"

That's a magazine issue...
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:10:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Most of the time...not all.  KAC said it was ammo.  There, now we're full circle.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:29:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Most of the time...not all.  KAC said it was ammo.  There, now we're full circle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not what they said.

What you are claiming makes no sense.

My guess is you are a
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:43:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I've actively traded Orbital/ATK on the market, so I'm pretty familiar with the relationship between ATK and Federal.  But I'm also pretty certain (not 100%) that Independence does NOT use Lake City Brass.  the independence stuff is made in Israel and imported by FCC,
And 100% for certain not stamped with the Lake City nor the NATO Cross.

Also, KAC actually agrees with me, calling it a marketing term and not an actual product spec.
View Quote
Yes its a marketing term used by by ATK/Federal. There are several variants of xm193, (F, I, AF, C) but all under one umbrella.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:50:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I don't give a flying f about what model handguard is on the rifle. I asked a simple question. I don't want to deduce anything, I don't have KAC's model lineup memorized and have no need to do so. Just needed an answer to a simple question so as to give reasonable advice.

KAC's gas system length is much too long for a 14.5" barrel. You have a gas system + barrel length configuration that will be sensitive to ammo variation. I would recommend nothing longer than a midlength gas system for a general use 14.5" AR barrel.
View Quote
SR-15 carbines are factory 14.5 SBRs, with KAC gas system. They are the best shooting SR15.

They proprietary system was designed for 14.5 SR16s
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 1:04:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
KAC E3 Mod 2 14.5"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

KAC E3 Mod 2 14.5"

They are wrong. I have held in my hands both a barrel and gas tube for a KAC E3 and an Intermediate and I can assure you they are not the same. There is approximately 1/2 inch difference:

Attachment Attached File

There are generic uses of words like "carbine", but there are also specific meanings. In this case, they are using a generic use of the term "intermediate" when it is deceptive, because there is an alternative specific meaning of the term "Intermediate". I was trying to make you aware of the difference so as to both inform you and to correct any other misunderstandings that might result from the information presented.

As I explained before, lots of people describe an empty case in the action while a live round attempts to feed as a "double feed". Just trying to make sure there is clarity.

The only response you gave to the several people trying to confirm what exactly was going on with your rifle was a link to a webpage. On that webpage there are photos of malfunctions but under "double feed" there is no distinction between live rounds and empty cases, in fact one of their photos appears to show one empty case and one live round.

Also as I mentioned before, a true double feed is almost always a magazine problem. I can't conceptualize a way for an ammo issue of any kind to cause a true double feed. You also described that you were using a Magpul P-Mag marked "DRS-4". I'm not familiar with that marking on any variant of Magpul PMag, although admittedly I do not own all of them.

Quoted:
They proprietary system was designed for 14.5 SR16s
The KAC gas tube length was original designed and intended for 16" barrel SR-25 (308 caliber) rifles, according to KAC's posts some years ago on this forum. Unless they have another proprietary length that I'm not aware of.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:04:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Holy fuck

Send the fucking thing to KAC and let them fix it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:37:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Shit, this thread got out of control. OP if you don't want to send it in, just post it on EE. I'm sure it will go fast since it's, KAC.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:43:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's a red-herring.  The purpose of the lambo is not to digest most of what it is given.  The point of the KAC is.  Would you be upset if you bought a Lambo and found out that it maxed out at 80MPH, or couldn't handle corners at speed?  I bet you would.
View Quote
Hell yes.

But I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find that my highly tuned Lambo ran like shit on 87 octane gas.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:41:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Hell yes.

But I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find that my highly tuned Lambo ran like shit on 87 octane gas.
View Quote

Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top