Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/31/2017 9:00:05 PM EDT
Hey guys. I recently purchased a Wilson combat "matched" upper and lower receiver set for a 300BLK build. After looking them over now a little over a month later, the fit between the upper and lower just doesn't seem to be up to Wilson Combat standards in my opinion. Now keep in mind that I am a bit of a perfectionist. There is a slight horizontal overlap between the upper and lower. It is such that if I lay a thick business card on the right side of the lower and butt it up against the upper it then becomes flush. The opposite is true for the other side, though it less significant. There is also a small gap in the rear between the upper and lower that you can see light through. I put this upper on another ar lower and had the same results. I then put the upper from my other ar onto this Wilson Combat lower and it seemed to fit better. Check out the pictures and tell me what you guys think. Should I ignore this and continue with the build, or send the upper back to Wilson Combat for a replacement.  

Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes...unfortunately more common than it should be.

It sucks, I don't like it when they don't line up...but it generally won't cause function problems.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#2]
If it bugs you now it always will, send it back and get another. They are not cheap and should not fit cheap.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#3]
A perfectionist should NEVER purchase an AR.

At the end of the day... its a Military grade rifle that someone tied to build like it was a $12.000 Merkel Shotgun.... and at the end of the day... its an AR.

And the irony of your first post... was not how awesome the rifle shot or performed... but how bad a .0002" Gap looked!!

My advice

Sell  it. You'll be happier in the long run.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Fwiw, a friend of mine picked up a Noreen billet set for $89 at aim -- no light can penetrate between the upper and lower and fitment is great, ie flush/takedown pins just right tight. Also, my aero fde set (purchased as a set) has these same qualities but the takedown pin is quite tight. In summary, I would be not happy myself if Wilson sold a set with any quality less than that.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I took another picture of the gap in the rear. Ill send these to Wilson Combat and see what they say about it. Thank you for all your input.

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o529/leeroyMFwilly/IMG_3087_zpsxod0svcz.jpg
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:51:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't want to burst your bubble, but Wilson Combat doesn't cut their own forged receivers.  I'm pretty certain I know who is manufacturing them for WC.  As far as their billet receivers, they probably are keeping those in house.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 5:53:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I hate how many companies outsource $50 forged receivers, put their stamp on them ,then charge you $300. One reason i go with billet sets. At least you pay for more machining... That fit and finish is terrible. I hope you get a new set or your money back.. you could've got a nice billet set for the same price,  but you're probably partial to the WC brand.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:16:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I emailed Wilson Combat about their forgings. Waiting to hear back. When I do hear back I will send them the pictures and see about a replacement upper. I know its being picky, but these things aren't cheap. What do you guys think about the Vltor MUR upper? Would it be worth looking into and maybe sending to Wilson the have it coated to match the burnt bronze lower?
P.S I will keep you guys posted on how this turns out. Thanks for the support!
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I emailed Wilson Combat about their forgings. Waiting to hear back. When I do hear back I will send them the pictures and see about a replacement upper. I know its being picky, but these things aren't cheap. What do you guys think about the Vltor MUR upper? Would it be worth looking into and maybe sending to Wilson the have it coated to match the burnt bronze lower?
View Quote
Your issue isnt being picky. I dont think anyone on the forum will be ok with fitment issues....I've owned the Vltor MUR. It's definitely worth it. I've also owned a new frontier C-4 upper and now a CMT UPUR-2.  All are great billet options that won't burn a hole in your pockets.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why would you not just get a matched billet set in burnt bronze from Wilson?  As others said, their billet is in house, and most likely won't have any fitment issues.

Their fees for armor tuff aren't exactly cheap.  You're probably better off buying their upper already finished.

I had them finish one of their barrels before they shipped it to me.  It looks really good and seems very durable, but it wasn't cheap.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Just got an email back from Wilson regarding the forgings. They state that their forgings are machined from the raw forgings to exacting tolerances. Though they did not use the term "in house" They did however state that their billet set is machined in house. I then sent the pictures in a reply and asked if a replacement upper could be a possible route. Only problem is I accidentally put a small but noticeable scratch on the upper with my pocket knife while removing the zip tie they used to keep the receivers together. I should have used some cutters but was eager to check it out. Hopefully that wont hurt my situation much.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I hate how many companies outsource $50 forged receivers, put their stamp on them ,then charge you $300. One reason i go with billet sets. At least you pay for more machining... That fit and finish is terrible. I hope you get a new set or your money back.. you could've got a nice billet set for the same price,  but you're probable partial to the WC brand.
View Quote
I am a big fan of Wilson Combat. Mainly for their 1911's, but also because I'm from the natural state myself. Though I have been looking at the Seekins Precision billet upper and lower. It has a pleasing and unique look to it. I may bite the bullet and go that route. We'll see what the response from Wilson will be first. On an unrelated yet exciting note, I received a shipping confirmation email from Noveske this morning regarding the 300 blackout barrel for this build. I was very impressed by that considering I only just placed the order for the barrel over Memorial day weekend, it was shipped out yesterday and expected delivery is tomorrow! I'll post pics for you guys when it comes in.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 3:34:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I agree, it is normal and shouldnt cause any issues.

But...when you pay wilson combat prices you should expect and demand more.

If it was an Aero upper and lower, sure live with it...but WC? make them fix it. The premium you pay is so you dont get product like that.

I am sure they will make it right.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the replies everyone! After emailing them back and forth, they would like for me to send the set in to have them look at it. I'm sure they will make it right. In all honesty its not just a terrible fit, but that's why I paid more for the Wilson set. To have the best fit from a forged set possible. They assured me that they would like to help so I may get send it off next week sometime.
Barrel should be at my door sometime today! I'll either share pictures on this thread or start a new show and tell thread
Again, Thank you to everyone who replied. You guys really cleared my head as to what course of action I should take.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#16]
So my Noveske barrel is in and looks great! Can't wait to see how it shoots!
How tight is the barrel suppose to be in the upper receiver? It just goes right in pretty easy and if you hold the receiver and turn it barrel down it will fall out. Is this to loose? The only thing that really gives it much hold is the indexing pin on the barrel fits somewhat snug in the slot on the receiver. If I slide it up to the indexing pin and hold the barrel while upside down, the receiver will fall.
Seems to me I may have gotten a bad upper receiver.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So my Noveske barrel is in and looks great! Can't wait to see how it shoots!
How tight is the barrel suppose to be in the upper receiver? It just goes right in pretty easy and if you hold the receiver and turn it barrel down it will fall out. Is this to loose? The only thing that really gives it much hold is the indexing pin on the barrel fits somewhat snug in the slot on the receiver. If I slide it up to the indexing pin and hold the barrel while upside down, the receiver will fall.
Seems to me I may have gotten a bad upper receiver.
View Quote
The two ARs I've had, the barrels have fit snug. One with a Delton barrel w/ Vltor MUR. the other had both a CMT and and New frontier upper w/16in PSA and Faxon 11.5. Long as it's snug with the nut tighten, it should be fine.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#18]
if you paid over $100 send it back for a good one.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Well I'm sending the upper and lower receivers back to Wilson next week to see if they can get a better fitting upper for the lower. I will also see if they may can find an upper with a tighter barrel fit. That thing just falls in and out. I may go with the Seekins precision or Noveske billet receivers if all else fails, but I have faith in Wilson that they will get me fixed up.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well I'm sending the upper and lower receivers back to Wilson next week to see if they can get a better fitting upper for the lower. I will also see if they may can find an upper with a tighter barrel fit. That thing just falls in and out. I may go with the Seekins precision or Noveske billet receivers if all else fails, but I have faith in Wilson that they will get me fixed up.
View Quote
WC should clear it up. Them asking you to send it in, is guarantee that they will.

But if you do decided to change the receiver or for future builds, Seekins has nice uppers. CMT, V7 Weapons, American Defense all have good options. Just a few of many out there.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
WC should clear it up. Them asking you to send it in, is guarantee that they will.

But if you do decided to change the receiver or for future builds, Seekins has nice uppers. CMT, V7 Weapons, American Defense all have good options. Just a few of many out there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks man! What's your opinion of the seekins vs noveske billet sets?
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would also add Mega to that list, they do a fantastic job.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Aesthetically, I like Seekins set w/ the SBA15 lower. Also, the Seekins does offer an ambi bolt release. The Noveske Gen III set offers no features for the money you will pay. 

If you do see the value of the extra feature, for a little more coin, look into ADM. Their lower is fully ambi. If u prefer sets you can get both upper/lower for $510. The blems are cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Aesthetically, I like Seekins set w/ the SBA15 lower. Also, the Seekins does offer an ambi bolt release. The Noveske Gen III set offers no features for the money you will pay. 

If you do see the value of the extra feature, for a little more coin, look into ADM. Their lower is fully ambi. If u prefer sets you can get both upper/lower for $510. The blems are cheaper.
View Quote
What do you think about the Seekins SP223 lower? It looks cool but I wonder if fast mag swaps would be easier or harder due to the magazine well shape.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What do you think about the Seekins SP223 lower? It looks cool but I wonder if fast mag swaps would be easier or harder due to the magazine well shape.
View Quote
That one is too flashy for my taste. Novelty almost... I can see one having an issue with mag changes, with it not being flared.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 5:47:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Oh. Show and tell time. Sorry I forgot to share a picture of my Noveske barrel. I was very impressed with Noveske. I placed the order over Memorial Day weekend and this barrel was in my mailbox yesterday around noon. http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o529/leeroyMFwilly/f758cbb0-9966-403a-8b7b-e2ec497df342_zpsnk77zo74.jpg
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Oh. Show and tell time. Sorry I forgot to share a picture of my Noveske barrel. I was very impressed with Noveske. I placed the order over Memorial Day weekend and this barrel was in my mailbox yesterday around noon. http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o529/leeroyMFwilly/f758cbb0-9966-403a-8b7b-e2ec497df342_zpsnk77zo74.jpg
View Quote
I see you're sparing no expense on this build. Is that a 10.5?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#28]
OP, your take down pin holes don't look like they are lining up.  See if the pin will drift in.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I see you're sparing no expense on this build. Is that a 10.5?
View Quote
Yes Sir it is
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
OP, your take down pin holes don't look like they are lining up.  See if the pin will drift in.
View Quote
I thought that myself. Just took a pin out of my other ar and it slid right in pretty freely.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 5:22:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

At the end of the day... its a Military grade rifle that someone tied to build like it was a $12.000 Merkel Shotgun.... and at the end of the day... its an AR.

And the irony of your first post... was not how awesome the rifle shot or performed... but how bad a .0002" Gap looked!!

My advice

View Quote
Military Grade like the Expanse.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 12:33:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Just sent the receiver sets off to Wilson Combat. Hopefully they get me fixed up.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just sent the receiver sets off to Wilson Combat. Hopefully they get me fixed up.
View Quote
Just hope that they are prompt about resolving it all.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just hope that they are prompt about resolving it all.
View Quote
Hopefully so. Tracking shows they received it yesterday. I have plenty of time. This build take several months as extra spending money is short, but would like to see a quick resolution.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#35]
I wonder how long the turn around will be. Tracking shows they received it on the 8th. I supplied my phone number and email, but haven't heard anything from them yet. Should I call them or wait it out?
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:34:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I wonder how long the turn around will be. Tracking shows they received it on the 8th. I supplied my phone number and email, but haven't heard anything from them yet. Should I call them or wait it out?
View Quote
It isn't hard to figure out that it's fucked up, but give it til Friday.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks. Planning on calling them Monday if I don't hear from them by Friday. I have been crossing my fingers every day while headed to the mail box lol
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Great new guys! I just received a call from Wilson Combat. They told me they replaced the upper receiver and will be getting it on its way back to me. Hopefully everything looks good when it arrives. I will post some pictures when I get it. Very excited and please with Wilson Combat customer service so far.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:57:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Sliding in and out is no big deal.  When in, does it wobble? If not, that's all you can ask of a forged reciever. You know guys epoxy the barrels into uppers that are precision nuts right? Are you demanding .5 MOA or better accuracy? Would .9 MOA make you happy? If the latter, don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:10:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

My advice

View Quote
This post ALL DAY LONG!!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:04:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Sliding in and out is no big deal.  When in, does it wobble? If not, that's all you can ask of a forged reciever. You know guys epoxy the barrels into uppers that are precision nuts right? Are you demanding .5 MOA or better accuracy? Would .9 MOA make you happy? If the latter, don't worry about it.
View Quote
That's really all I was concerned with for this build was the two receivers matching up well and not overly wobbly. As far as accuracy, this set up will not be a long range rifle so as long as its under minute of angle at 100 yards I will be happy. That was one of my concerns with the original upper though was how loose and easy the barrel fit in. I did address that in the letter I sent to Wilson along with the upper. So hopefully this new upper will have a better fit, and be slightly tighter for the barrel. If so I'll be stoked. I do want to thank you all for your help and opinions. Without you guys I would have probably just thrown it together and not been happy overall. I do understand that these are just mass produced military grade firearms, but I have however, seen great fit, finish, and accuracy from standard, nothing special, forged receiver ARs and would like to see that in this build. Thanks again everyone. I'll let you know how it looks when its comes in.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:04:15 AM EDT
[#42]
I would agree that for low end or middle of the road uppers and lowers that the ‘fit’ may be mediocre due to the tolerance stacking.
However I don’t think it’s a combat design necessarily applies when purchasing premium parts for premium prices.
I would expect a premium seller to be keeping to tighter tolerances or at least hand matching uppers and lowers when selling them together.

OP: If you want a tighter socket then supposedly BCM under sizes theirs.
I have found this to be true for the ones I have bought.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
OP: If you want a tighter socket then supposedly BCM under sizes theirs.
I have found this to be true for the ones I have bought.
View Quote
Thanks, I may look into that if this new upper is still loose.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#44]
OK so it looks like Wilson Combat sent this thing over night. I got it on my lunch break today. After opening the box I'm blown away with how much better this thing fits! It has a very tight fit between the upper and lower, all the lines match evenly, and the burnt bronze finish even seems to match better. I am stoked and very excited about how well it turned out. I'll get home tonight and post some pics and see how tight the barrel fits. Extremely happy with Wilson Combat on this.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Guys, I am very pleased to announce that Wilson Combat has hooked me up! Just tried to slip the barrel in. It is VERY tight. They went above and beyond my requests and expectations. Better receiver match up, tighter receiver fit, and tighter barrel fit. They blew all three out of the water. In my opinion, this is one of the better forged sets I've ever seen in person. I am extremely excited to get this thing together.  Now we wait for extra cash... Lol what should my next purchase be? Trigger? BCG? Lower parts kit? Handguard? I will be getting one thing a month so I guess I will start another thread on the process of the build. I can't tell you guys how please I am with how this receiver set turned out. Thank you all for your input!
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:56:13 AM EDT
[#46]
I don't know about what you should necessarily get next... But at some point, grab Wilson's drop in trigger unit. Cool to match, right? It is tied for my favorite trigger group, have put it through its paces and it has done exemplary. Mine was sold as the 4 pound unit, but measures around 3.5, so keep that in mind if you grab one. All in all, it is my favorite single stage trigger hands down, and is my favorite "all around use" trigger.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:38:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I don't know about what you should necessarily get next... But at some point, grab Wilson's drop in trigger unit. Cool to match, right? It is tied for my favorite trigger group, have put it through its paces and it has done exemplary. Mine was sold as the 4 pound unit, but measures around 3.5, so keep that in mind if you grab one. All in all, it is my favorite single stage trigger hands down, and is my favorite "all around use" trigger.
View Quote
Thanks. I am leaning towards the Geissele Super Tricon but I will give the Wilson trigger a look. Thanks again
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

My advice

View Quote
Was thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:01:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Wilson makes pistols. Not AR's.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:23:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Thanks. I am leaning towards the Geissele Super Tricon but I will give the Wilson trigger a look. Thanks again
View Quote
I had to Wilson TTU-Single Stage in my first AR. It was lighter than advertised and consistent. my 2nd rifle has a Geissele SD-C w/ and SD-E hammer spring. I found that I like 2 stage triggers more. The first stage uptake helps me indicate when the rifle will go pop. A bit of added assurance IMO.... May come down to single stage vs 2 stage preference. Both will be premium choices.

Those Geissele triggers should be on sale, 4th of July weekend!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top