Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2017 2:36:28 AM EDT
I'm thinking about making a change to my SBR upper to drop some weight from it to balance out the suppressor that hangs on the end of the barrel.

It is currently a 10.3" barrel, fixed FSB (not getting rid of this), and DD Omega X 7 rail. The only thing that I have mounted to the rail is a Surefire X300U on a Gear Sector mount and a BCM stubby VFG.

Would changing the rails out give me any added benefit as far as weight savings?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:04:25 AM EDT
[#1]
The slim profile, which I prefer, is another benefit. But no VFG for me.

If you opt for the Ti barrel nut you save more weight too.

What suppressor do you use on that SBR?

I would swap to BUIS to save more weight, and the KMR isn't really FSB friendly, imo.

Fwiw, I have an 11.5" with the Faxon Gunner bbl and with SiCo Omega with Ti DT module and end cap mounted. The Omega weighs in at 11.4oz. The hand guard is an SLR Ion Lite. Troy BUIS, T2. I had to swap to a minimalist stock to remove weight there at the butt to get it to balance right.

I also have a 10.5" with a .750" profile bbl with a Fortis hand guard, Omega QD mounted, B2 stock, Mag Pul BUIS and either a SPARC 2 or Pulsar thermal that has great balance.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The slim profile, which I prefer, is another benefit. But no VFG for me.

If you opt for the Ti barrel nut you save more weight too.

What suppressor do you use on that SBR?

I would swap to BUIS to save more weight, and the KMR isn't really FSB friendly, imo.

Fwiw, I have an 11.5" with the Faxon Gunner bbl and with SiCo Omega with Ti DT module and end cap mounted. The Omega weighs in at 11.4oz. The hand guard is an SLR Ion Lite. Troy BUIS, T2. I had to swap to a minimalist stock to remove weight there at the butt to get it to balance right.

I also have a 10.5" with a .750" profile bbl with a Fortis hand guard, Omega QD mounted, B2 stock, Mag Pul BUIS and either a SPARC 2 or Pulsar thermal that has great balance.
View Quote
The suppressor is a Griffin Armament Recce 5. I have no plans of getting rid of the FSB as I use irons only due to an astigmatism making red dots un-usable for me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The suppressor is a Griffin Armament Recce 5. I have no plans of getting rid of the FSB as I use irons only due to an astigmatism making red dots un-usable for me.
View Quote
A Recce 5 weighs about the same as an Omega set up QD.

Maybe a fixed front sight, like the DD, on the KMR?

I have astigmatism. T2's are better than anything else without magnification I have tried. I don't find the astigmatism an issue shooting with both eyes open.

Since magnification fixes astigmatism issues, maybe a low magnification ACOG?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#5]
get the TI KMR hardware from V7 including their Ti BCG if you want to drop some weight...and coin...
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#6]
as someone who loves a lightweight AR, I think that the few ounces you'd shave by switching handguards is going to get lost in the 1lb muzzle device you have hanging off the end.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I know you are pretty deadset on the fsb but what about BIUS? Magpul MBUS would drop some weight on the front and would be more rail friendly.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:19:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Well they are light, and pretty easy to install.    The rail covers are great.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:21:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't mean to hijack the thread but has anyone heard the release date for the bcm mlok rail?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Light, slim, durable locking system, good support, aftermarket attachment options...big fan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top