Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2017 11:45:40 AM EDT
Hi Folks,I am sure a lot of people will consider this is a no-brainer, but I thought I might ask the question anyway.  I am soon to complete a lightweight 20" build, and my criteria (no pun intended) for the barrel are that it is 20", is of a lightweight profile, has a twist rate that can stabilize bullets up to about 65gr (the Sierra Gameking softpoints in that weight are the heaviest bullet I intend to shoot) and is chrome-lined.  There are currently 2 barrels I have been able to find that meet these requirements.  The first is the relatively high-end Criterion 20" pencil-contour barrel with a 1:8" twist and .223 Wylde Chamber.  The other is Del Ton's lightweight 20" A1 profile barrel, with a 1:9" twist, 5.56 NATO chamber, and A2 FSB already installed.  I intend to use an A2 front sight setup with a 12" ultralight free float Midwest Industries handguard, so that is a bonus for the Del Ton.As money is not an issue and I am hoping to squeeze as much accuracy as possible while staying within my parameters of a chrome-lined, lightweight barrel, I am leaning towards the Criterion option.  However, the Del-Ton looks nice as well, and I would appreciate not having to send the barrel off to have the FSB installed.  I see Del Ton disparaged quite a bit, and with reference to them in general, the word that most comes up is "hobby grade."  I am hoping someone can articulate what exactly makes the Del Ton barrel inferior (I am fine with the 1:9" twist, so that is not a concern for me).  My only experience with Del Ton is from a set of A2 handguards of theirs, which although they may not make them themselves, were top-notch.  Their barrels may be 4140 instead of 4150 like the Criterion (the dealer from whom I will be buying is a friend and he can guarantee to get me one of the 4150 Criterions), but a well-made 4140 is excellent; my 2009-made ArmaLite AR-10 has a 4140, chrome-lined barrel, and even after 30,000 rounds, sometimes up to 2,500 between cleanings, it still shoots well sub-MOA with standard M80 ball ammo, and a cloverleaf at 100 yards with match stuff.  If anybody has experience with the Del Ton barrel in particular, I'd love to hear it, that is if you will admit to having anything below top-tier ARs ;)
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:24:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not knocking Del-Ton, but I would pony up the money for the Criterion based on my experience with Criterion barrels and their general reputation.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#3]
take a look at Green Mountain
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:49:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for Criterion. Those dudes know how to make an accurate chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:33:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for the Faxon Gunner barrels.  I know a lot of people still prefer the chrome lined barrels to Nitrited barrels and I was one of them long ago until I got my hands on a melonited barrel myself.  Now I prefer the Nitrated barrels to the Chrome ones.  They tend to be slightly more accurate on average, have a nice deep rich color on the barrel that reminds me of bluing just darker, and are protected on the outside as much as the inside so you don't have to worry about corrosion on the exterior of the barrel either.  All of that said I would happily buy a chrome lined one as well if it was what I was looking for.. but if given the choice I prefer the Nitrated ones.  

Those Faxon Gunner barrels are very accurate barrels too for a lightweight, many people are achieving MOA or sub MOA accuracy from them with match ammo.  And they are a good bit lighter then most other peoples "lightweights".  They also do not tend to shift point of impact when they warm up like just about every other lightweight barrel I have owned.  So even when it is warm you don't have to worry about the point of impact moving too much causing you to miss your target if it's far away or smaller.  I would choose a Faxon Gunner over anything out there and that is probably about the only barrel I will use from now on unless it's for my Retro builds.

And between Criterion or Del-Ton, the Criterion is obviously going to be a little bit nicer barrel and will more then likely shoot slightly better but most AR barrels are good shooters even many of the cheap ones.  I have heard good things about Del-Ton barrels and wouldn't be afraid of using one myself if there weren't already better options out there (like Faxon).  I also prefer a 5.56 chamber to 223 Wylde but that's just me because I prefer reliability over accuracy but in all likelihood there wouldn't be a difference with reliability or accuracy with either chamber so that's not a big deal.  And I don't think Del-Ton is any worse then many of the barrels recommended on here everyday, they have always just had the reputation of a good general use barrel.  I would compare them to PSA myself.  

And to the person mentioning Green Mountain, they do not make any lightweight barrels other then their Retro line as far as I know and they are 1:12 twist which will not stabilize the 65grn bullets.  I really do like Green Mountain barrels though and rank them up there with some of the better barrels out there that aren't custom made match barrels.  Often time Green Mountain performs with barrels way above their price range.  But the same can also be said about Faxon anymore, from some of the groups people are posting up.  And you are making a good choice by going with a lightweight barrel, there is not really any gain by going with a heavier gov. profile like most use.  I am a lightweight fan and don't think I can ever go back.

Edited to add- Re-reading your post I noticed you mentioned your 308 barrel with over 30k rounds still shooting sub MOA with M80 ball and just wanted to say that is fascinating and about the first report of that I have ever heard.  Most barrels start to open up a little at the 8-10k point and many are opening up enough to be replaced around the 15-18k mark, but this is with 5.56 barrels.  I figure .308 is a little easier on them being a little bit slower velocity.  I have heard of others still getting pretty good accuracy out of their 5.56 barrels in the 20-30k range but nothing sub MOA and you hardly ever hear of any with that many rounds through it either.  Just being able to get Sub MOA with M80 ball is good with a new barrel.  You got lucky with that one, I'd imagine.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:03:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a DTI bbl that shoots more than fine. It is not match grade in any sense but a solid hunting bbl all around.

I have heard nothing but good about Criterion bbls and accuracy.

If accuracy is your goal, I would lean that direction, imo.

Several other quality bbls available also, but I will not attempt to sell you.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 3:25:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Vote for Criterion, given that choice.  I would also look at LaRue PredaTAR for lightweight.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another vote for the Faxon Gunner barrels.  I know a lot of people still prefer the chrome lined barrels to Nitrited barrels and I was one of them long ago until I got my hands on
And to the person mentioning Green Mountain, they do not make any lightweight barrels other then their Retro line as far as I know and they are 1:12 twist which will not stabilize the 65grn bullets.  I really do like Green Mountain barrels though and rank them up there with some of the better barrels out there that aren't custom made match barrels.  Often time Green Mountain performs with barrels way above their price range.  But the same can also be said about Faxon anymore, from some of the groups people are posting up.  And you are making a good choice by going with a lightweight barrel, there is not really any gain by going with a heavier gov. profile like most use.  I am a lightweight fan and don't think I can ever go back.
View Quote
OP did not mention using 65gr + ammo and yes the GM barrels are both 1:12 and 1:14 twist 55 gr XM193 should do fine out of either as well as light wt varmint rounds.

If you intend on firing heavier ammo then yeah the 1:7, 1:8 and even 1:9 would be a better choice.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 7:22:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

OP did not mention using 65gr + ammo .....
View Quote
Second sentence of the OP he lists his criteria, including 65g MatchKing bullets.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Second sentence of the OP he lists his criteria, including 65g MatchKing bullets.
View Quote
Oh yeah...my mistake....missed that one...guess I was distracted by all the words...

Definitely do not want a GM with 1:12 or 1:14 then...
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#11]
If money is no object, criterian.  Not only will the barrel be better quality and more accurate, but the chrome lining will be a higher grade as well (not all chrome is created equal).  For general use, either should serve you fine and you won't notice much difference in terms of accuracy is shooting bulk XM193 or XM855.  However, there is no comparison between the two barrels in terms of over all quality and performance.  

For those with the faxon barrels, how do you find the cycling and reliability on the 18" rifle gas barrels with the .93" gas port size?
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Criterion>del-ton
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the medium weight Criterion 20" barrel from Fulton.   When I first ran a patch down the barrel it felt like one of my match barrels.   It is a shooter too.
Since Fulton has the barrel you are looking at, you could just order one of their set screw FSB's and install it yourself.   I have a couple and although pricey they work great.   I gladly pay for them because my minor OCD can't handle a FSB that leans one way or the other.   I like to mechanical zero my rear windage and manipulate the front so it's within a click or two.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:34:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks, everyone, for your advice.  I went with the Criterion, and I couldn't be happier.  So far I have not worked up handloads for it, but with Lake City M193 it was holding .4 MOA groups with boring consistency!
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I know it's settled, but I mean... Criterion was a division of Krieger... Del-Ton is just a seller of parts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top