Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2017 3:27:13 AM EDT
Kinda curious to hear some info on who is/was using a 16" 556/wlyde barrel with intermediate gas..and let's say  no suppressor

Curious how they run with different ammo and buffer combos, adj gas blocks

Also I've seen some but who makes this combo
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 4:11:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Faxon makes both their GUNNER barrel and pencil with 556 chamber and intermediate gas system. The Faxon gas port is well designed usually no need for an adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:31:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a 16" mid length. From Troy. Not too over gassed unsuppressed, works fine suppressed, though clearly over gassed. Forgiving combo.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:59:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:33:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I have never heard of a 16" with an intermediate gas system.  Something about needing a minimum length of barrel between gas block and muzzle that an intermediate gas system does not provide on 16" barrels.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have never heard of a 16" with an intermediate gas system.  Something about needing a minimum length of barrel between gas block and muzzle that an intermediate gas system does not provide on 16" barrels.
View Quote
KAC uses intermediate on their 16" rifles.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:47:14 AM EDT
[#6]
whats wrong with a middy?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:49:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
whats wrong with a middy?
View Quote
The longer the gas system the softer the recoil if all else is equal. 
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Kinda curious to hear some info on who is/was using a 16" 556/wlyde barrel with intermediate gas..and let's say  no suppressor

Curious how they run with different ammo and buffer combos, adj gas blocks

Also I've seen some but who makes this combo
View Quote
Running a rifle length gas system on my 20" 1:9 twist barrel made tighter groups than my mid-length gas system, 16" 1:7 twist barrel with 55gr ammo.

Edit: Seeing folks talk about intermediate systems, the difference?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Intermediate is in between mid length and rifle.  It's not very common or standardized. 
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
halfway between mid-length and rifle-length, mostly found on 18" barrels.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

KAC uses intermediate on their 16" rifles.
View Quote
Huh. Learn something new every day here!

Arfcom: Time Well Spent.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

halfway between mid-length and rifle-length, mostly found on 18" barrels.
View Quote
Pretty rare imo, most 18" barrels are a middy or rifle length(preferred imo)
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#14]
KAC does not use an intermediate gas system length.  It is about .4" shorter than the intermediate specification.  If you tried to use an intermediate gas tube in a Knight's legacy or Mod1 barrel, it would extend too far into the upper receiver.

Rainier was selling some 16" stainless barrels with the correct intermediate gas port placement.  Noveske also made some barrels for MSTN in a 16" configuration that included the gas block and tube.  I believe they had 3 groove rifling.

@Gamma762 has a really nice picture showing off 6 different gas tube lengths:
pistol
carbine
midlength
KAC E3
Intermediate
Rifle

To Faxon-
If you all decide to build some 16" intermediate gas barrels, I'm in for at least 2.  I love shooting my intermediate gas rifle (CLE 18").
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Intermediate is in between mid length and rifle.  It's not very common or standardized. 
View Quote
It is standardized.

Noveske and MSTN have made quite a few barrels with it, but it's far from as popular as other options that is true. MSTN (or custom) are the only 16" Intermediate barrels I've seen. I'd consider it a "gamer" setup, as the gas system is somewhat too long for the barrel length for a general purpose rifle (IMO).

KAC uses a length that is unique, it is not the Intermediate length.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
To Faxon-
If you all decide to build some 16" intermediate gas barrels, I'm in for at least 2.  I love shooting my intermediate gas rifle (CLE 18").
View Quote
The  BRT 16" OPTIMUM Light Barrel is a proprietary gas tube length a little shorter than Intermediate. There is a possibility that it is made by Faxon for Black River Tactical.  Faxon will make custom barrels when you order a quantity over 50 units.

BRT Extended Length Gas System:
The BRT extended length gas system was created to allow optimum performance from 16" barrels. The gas system length controls the timing of the gas cycle and overall gas drive available. Existing gas systems, while functional, don't offer the balance of factors to allow exceptionally smooth cycling with maximum reliability. The BRT design balances these factors to optimize gas system performance under extreme conditions.

The BRT extended length gas system is longer than the standard mid-length, but shorter than the Noveske Intermediate length, which was designed for use with 18" barrels. The BRT EXT length gas tube is included.

BRT Gas Drive:
The BRT Gas Drive provides exceptional smoothness with extreme reliability. The gas port size controls how much pressure is delivered to the action and therefore how much gas drive is available to cycle the action. Proper balance is critical to the reliability and longevity of the system.

BRT barrels are designed to work best with full pressure 5.56 ammunition and the following buffer systems: VLTOR A5H2, Rifle and Carbine H2.

Features:
BRT OPTIMUM Light Weight Tapered Profile (.625 Gas Block)
BRT Extended Length Gas System ( Gas Tube Included )
BRT Gas Drive
BRT Hybrid Target Crown
1/2-28 Suppressor Ready Muzzle Thread
5R Rifling 1/8 Twist
4150 CrMoV Steel per Mil-B-11595E(AR)
QPQ Nitride Chamber and Bore
5.56 NATO Chamber
M4 Barrel Extension
Magnetic Particle Inspected
Weight: 24.0 oz
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Faxon makes both their GUNNER barrel and pencil with 556 chamber and intermediate gas system. The Faxon gas port is well designed usually no need for an adjustable gas block.
View Quote
This is what I would suggest if I were to rebarrel a rifle today.

Ive been impressed by faxon's dedication to customer satisfaction, and the satisfaction of their customers.

LaRue would be another id suggest.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:11:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Odin Works makes one, too, if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#19]
I've got a Stretch16 on one of my rifles.  Its the softest shooting AR I have.  It can be a bit fickle with ammo.  I'm going to try to address this by oversizing the gas port and adding an SLR adjustable gas block to try to get it to run everything.  No issues with most 5.56, but some cheaper .223 doesn't cycle consistently.

Link Posted: 5/31/2017 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#20]
The KAC 16" barrels with their gas system works well.

I have one cut to 14.5" retaining their "KACmediate" gas length. Same port size but will be suppressed. I have not had the time to go out and shoot it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Odin does make a 16" IM, but it's in 6.5 Grendel.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Odin does make a 16" IM, but it's in 6.5 Grendel.
View Quote
https://www.odinworks.com/223_Wylde_16_1_Intermid_p/b-223-16-int-tg.htm
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a stretch 16 and I love it. Shoots 1 moa easily and is super soft shooting.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The KAC 16" barrels with their gas system works well.

I have one cut to 14.5" retaining their "KACmediate" gas length. Same port size but will be suppressed. I have not had the time to go out and shoot it.
View Quote
One of the E3 barrels I cut to 14.5 ran perfectly without gas port work.

It should be just fine.  Now go find time to shoot!
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The BRT extended length gas system is longer than the standard mid-length, but shorter than the Noveske Intermediate length, which was designed for use with 18" barrels. The BRT EXT length gas tube is included.
View Quote
Noveske makes Intermediate gas barrels but is not the originator of the configuration - Vltor is the originator of the Intermediate length.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Me neither...don't see it as a good idea.

If you have to have though....buy and 18" and have ADCO cut it down for you.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Have mid and carbine gas systems aplenty and never could feel a difference. I think it's probably better for wear or something, but recoil? Can't tell any difference. More difference with adjustable gas block, which has slight feelability. Also with low mass carrier and even less gas. Also with flashh comps or brakes. Midlength? Intermediate? Don't see how anyone feels it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#28]
It's not so much what you feel in your shoulder as how much your sights move.  The smoother your rifle the less iit moves.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a Stretch16 16" intermediate. Dang fine barrel, shoots soft, very accurate. It is on my 3 gun AR with a JP low mass carrier, 2oz rifle buffer and a Tubb constant force flat wire spring (to stop bolt bounce) and an adjustable gas block. 4 shots as fast as I can pull the trigger with no muzzle rise and very little recoil. My rifle shoots very soft, but I don't know if it is from the total package or any one component.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:31:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
KAC does not use an intermediate gas system length.  It is about .4" shorter than the intermediate specification.  If you tried to use an intermediate gas tube in a Knight's legacy or Mod1 barrel, it would extend too far into the upper receiver.

Rainier was selling some 16" stainless barrels with the correct intermediate gas port placement.  Noveske also made some barrels for MSTN in a 16" configuration that included the gas block and tube.  I believe they had 3 groove rifling.

@Gamma762 has a really nice picture showing off 6 different gas tube lengths:
pistol
carbine
midlength
KAC E3
Intermediate
Rifle

To Faxon-
View Quote
I have one of the Noveske 3 groove 16" intermediate barrels
I really like it. No issueas at all and it shoots the same velocity as my 17" rifle gas barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top