Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2017 2:12:13 PM EDT
Some random internet poster mentioned that Norgon patent is up so free to clone.

True or Chicom fakes?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#1]
reading here, using the dates here, it looks expired to me. IANAL
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't tried the AU Norgon knock-off, but I did try their ambi selector. This was my finding:

Pros:
Functioned.
Made in the USA.
Cheap.

Cons:
Finish wasn't great (rough machining, sharp edges).

In the end, you always get what you pay for. If you are on a tight budget, go right ahead and pick them up. If you are spoiled by nice things like Battle Arms Development selectors, prepare to lower your expectations.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Norgon on my Noveske SBR and 4 of the AU ambi releases. I think they work very well. I even installed one of the AU ambi magazine releases on my LMT SBR today.   It is a great value IME.

Blackfoot_7 recommended these as well.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Norgon and the knock off

The Norgon is better but $50 better? No about the only difference I can tell is the Norgon has a stiffer/stronger spring
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#5]
If I were Norgon, I'd lower the price to be at least somewhat competitive with the clones.  Military contract is great but it can be such a fickle beast, civilian market is steady.

Distributor price of the Ambi-Catch is more than the MSRP of the clones.  Norgon was not the only game in town, there is Troy, KAC, High Velocity Arms to name a few, nor was it necessarily the universal favorite.  Its high price did prevent many users from buying one, the clones might appear to be good alternatives, but as someone that holds a few patents, I'd never buy a clone, even if it's legally acceptable for these companies to make them now.

Quality is unknown.  It's not been that long, have you guys forgotten AU was the one that copied the AXTS / Rainier Arms Raptors and got sued for it.

As to whether it's $50 better, I think the Norgon Ambi-Catch is overpriced.  Intellectual property has value, initial investment for the casting or forging dies costs a great deal of money.  I can only speculate the cost of initial investment was paid for long ago, in any case, the extra cost in anything isn't linear.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:54:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I normally refuse to buy knock offs but in this case it may be different. They are not illegally making a copy, but rather taking advantage of an expired patent. Being US made still really helps. I haven't bought one yet (own several Norgons) but probably will.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:30:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I may have to get one now.

Price is very...very good, and the patent is fair game now. We may have a new magazine release that is the new "standard".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top