Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2017 1:07:08 AM EDT
I have always used standard h1/h2 buffers with reciprocating weights in them. Im thinking of getting a spikes tactical lower for my bcm upper and I have been told to avoid it mainly because of the trigger and buffer. Apparently the purpose of the reciprocating weights is to keep the BCG back long enough for rounds to lift in the mag and to prevent bolt bounce. I've been told it happens to alot of spikes tactical rifles because of the tungsten filled buffers. Now i dont have any experience with them since I don't own them. Is this information true, will it be wise to stick with the h1/h2 buffers or is the STT2 buffer still good. This will be for a carbine length gas system rifle. This video explains it a little bit more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njaLucvpEV0&feature=youtu.be
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 3:21:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 5:54:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm running one (T-2) in a 14.5" issue free.

And the triggers are fine, for a milspec trigger.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:43:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I have 3 of them, in a 16" mid, 11.5" and 12" sbr's. All run suppressed/ unsuppresed and use mbt triggers. Never had any issue.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:44:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Then my source is really misinformed or just doesn't like spikes tactical
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:56:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't believe everything you read/hear.

The majority of information is secondhand regurgitated misinformation.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:02:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a ST-T2 buffer in both my ARs and they work great. No problems
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:09:24 AM EDT
[#7]
The ST-T2 is basically just a H1.5, it's in between a H1 and H2 in weight. I have them in 2 ARs, one a carbine length gas system and the other a mid-length, and never had any issues.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not a fan of the T2 buffer, but they're unlikely to cause issues.

Buffering effect of a T2 is similar to an H1. H1 is my go to buffer for most applications.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I just put a Spike's T2 buffer in my mid-length 16" AR, and it runs great.  It brought my ejected cases back to about the 3 o'clock position, whereas before they were ejecting more forward.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I run a T2 in a 16" mid length and a T1 in a 14.5 mid length.

I initially tried a T2 in the 14.5 but changed it to the T1 because of last round lock back issues I assumed was short stroking. The T1 was more reliable than the T2 in that rifle, but I still had some lock back issues which I then wrote off to some wimpy ammo.  I've since figured out the lower I was using might be out of spec in the bolt catch area as it is very loose and appears to sometimes slide behind the mag follower and not lock back even when pulled manually. It's on it's way back to the manufacturer. The new lower I put on the rifle cycles perfectly with the T1, but I might try the T2 in there since I've now got a good lower installed.

It is a bit odd that the weights of the Spikes buffers don't correspond with weighted buffers of the same class. For example

H = 3.8 oz -- Spikes T1 = 2.9 to 3.1 oz
H2 = 4.7  -- Spikes T2 = 4 to 4.2 oz

Maybe the Tungsten Powder reacts slower than actual weights. Anyway, I like the Spikes buffers. Don't hear those weights clanging around.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#11]
i have one.

works fine.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Run 6 of these in 6 different rifles, carbine to midlength, all work flawlessly. I like they seem to perform better and they have better appeal IMO.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I run Spikes T-1 or T-2 buffers in all my ARs and have never had a problem with function.

However, I've had many issues with experimenting with springs and have standardized on standard weight chrome-silicon springs resulting in no issues.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I use a couple with no issues
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I tried T1 and T2 buffers in a few of my rifles.  I was underwhelmed.  They didn't do anything different from my standard style buffers that I could discern except empty my wallet more.  I actually sold them and went back to standard buffers.  It was a little annoying and confusing that the weights didn't correspond with typical carbine, H1 and H2 buffers.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:12:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I run Spikes T-1 or T-2 buffers in all my ARs and have never had a problem with function.

However, I've had many issues with experimenting with springs and have standardized on standard weight chrome-silicon springs resulting in no issues.
View Quote
So the spikes tactical springs were an issue?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I have one in a 14.5 midlength.. runs smooth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top