Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2017 11:14:58 AM EDT
Hi folks,

I am working on a build now, and have my eye on one of Criterion's chrome-lined barrels with a Wylde chamber. I take it as a given that the barrel will be insanely accurate and long-lived, and I am friends with a dealer who can guarantee to get me one that is 4150 instead of 4140. However, I want to hear from people who have one of these barrels how reliable they, with their Wylde chambers, are.

I know the conventional wisdom is that 5.56 NATO chambers are the most reliable, but not only have I read that a well-made Wylde is at least as, if not more reliable than the NATO spec (I have discussed this topic with Bill Wylde himself), if one looks at the actual chamber dimensions (my friend at Criterion provided me with the measurements and drawings for their chambers), all measurements but the throats diameter are actually looser than the 5.56. 

The only real-life reliability issue of which I have ever heard with the Wylde chamber that had actually happened and is not just theory, is the issue of difficulty extracting and ejecting a live round. I gather that this problem only really occurs with cheaper barrels like the RRA, but I'm wondering whether it has happened to anyone with the Criterion barrels,

Basically, I am hoping people with first hand experience with Criterion's chrome-lined barrels with Wylde chambers can share their experiences with reliability.

Thanks! 
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#1]
No Criterion experience but I have a White Oak Armory 10.5" SS Wylde chambered barrel. No reliability issues, no issues clearing the chamber, very accurate.

I shoot that upper suppressed 99% of the time. With the crud shooting suppressed creates with back pressure you would think any feed or extraction issues would show. I do use an adjustable block, but it is set pretty open to function ok unsuppressed.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another qualility Wylde chambered barrel again.

Hope this helps,

JPK
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:16:35 AM EDT
[#2]
There is no reason to doubt Bill Wylde's word on this. IMO the problem "Wylde " chambers are most likely poorly done to begin with and all reamers are not equal. I have Wylde chambers and so far they have given zero problems. A short headspaced chamber can cause extraction problems regardless of the chamber specs.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:42:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Are we really going to do the Wylde chamber vs. the 5.56 chamber thing again?

Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are we really going to do the Wylde chamber vs. the 5.56 chamber thing again?

View Quote
It is legitimate technical question.  I concur with the honest observstion that the only spec that could arguably affect reliability is the tighter throat.  That is to better stabilize the bullet as it makes the jump to the rifling.

In a match grade barrel with sub MOA quality and match grade ammo, it can enhance accuracy.  In mass produced non-match barrels, it is a marketing gimmick, lipstick on a pig.  It should not, however, impair reliable cycling if done properly.

I have a Wylde chambered Lilja 416 stainless match barrel.  I've shot a wide variety of ammo in it more out of curiosity, as it normally is fed only my match handloads.  Everything, including full power 5.56, functioned fine.  But then again, I've not dropped it in mud or gotten sand in the chamber.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:05:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It is legitimate technical question.  I concur with the honest observstion that the only spec that could arguably affect reliability is the tighter throat.  That is to better stabilize the bullet as it makes the jump to the rifling.

In a match grade barrel with sub MOA quality and match grade ammo, it can enhance accuracy.  In mass produced non-match barrels, it is a marketing gimmick, lipstick on a pig.  It should not, however, impair reliable cycling if done properly.

I have a Wylde chambered Lilja 416 stainless match barrel.  I've shot a wide variety of ammo in it more out of curiosity, as it normally is fed only my match handloads.  Everything, including full power 5.56, functioned fine.  But then again, I've not dropped it in mud or gotten sand in the chamber.
View Quote
It is not that is is NOT a legitimate technical question, it is that it gets discussed to death.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hi folks,

Basically, I am hoping people with first hand experience with Criterion's chrome-lined barrels with Wylde chambers can share their experiences with reliability.

Thanks! 
View Quote

I don't know what reliability issues you've heard but I got absolutely 0.00 problems with all of my uppers with Wylde chamber, including one with 20" Criterion chrome lined barrel. It is an moa shooter with my 55 gr blitzking match loads. Oh BTW, my RRA barreled upper has zero issues also.  Of course I don't feed them with range-pick up ammo
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a criterion hybrid chrome match barrel that's just awesome ! No issues at all
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a criterion hybrid chrome match barrel that's just awesome ! No issues at all
http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p460/alexfiggy1/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-03/6A1A9E95-DF7A-4031-803E-536639229D37_zpsdekg3uug.jpg
View Quote
That is some badass accuracy!  I think I'm sold, and it would appear that what Mr. Wylde told me about the chamber is borne out by folks' experience.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I have run my Criterion with everything but bi-metal and had great results. My SHTF gun is my Criterion.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link to said criterion barrels . Thanks
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Link to said criterion barrels . Thanks
View Quote
Brownells
Fulton Armory
Midwest Industries
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top