Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2017 6:17:01 PM EDT
Does any one make an adjustable titanium gas block for under $100?  The lowest I have seen is $145. I was thinking about making a DIY from a normal Titanium gas block but I have never drilled and tapped titanium before. Difficult?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I plan to put it on a Faxon pencil barrel so even if I have to pay $150 it will be with the cost. Doesn't make sense to me to put a heavy gas block on a light barrel. Kinda defeats the purpose of going light weight.

Just trying to save $$ where I can.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I plan to put it on a Faxon pencil barrel so even if I have to pay $150 it will be with the cost. Doesn't make sense to me to put a heavy gas block on a light barrel. Kinda defeats the purpose of going light weight.

Just trying to save $ where I can.
View Quote
Then get the Sentry melonite adjustable gas block. The Sentry 6 .450 set screw weighs 22 grams (.78 oz) The same thing in melonite coated steel is 1.3 oz, or only half an oz heavier. That's not even noticeable. Yes I  understand ozs turn to pounds, but in this case, it really doesn't matter.

Now if you're  like me and buy a titanium gas block for the coolness/ big dick factor, by all means, have at it. I like 'em and have 'em for that reason.

??
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:18:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy a one of the New Faxon 14.5in Gunner or Pencil barrels with the pinned brake on it from AIM and it will come with a Faxon GB pinned on the barrel.  The Faxon GB has a big hole on each side of the GB milled out.  That should save you a tiny bit of weight.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:55:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I am pretty much dead set on getting the titanium adjustable GB for all the reasons one would. I made the change on another AR with a fluted 20" and liked everything about it. I plan to spend money to save weight in other places also, so that bit doesn't come into consideration.

The reason I need adjustable is because I have an AIM light weight BCG.

And I have a GB with the sides cut and don't like the look as much as I thought I would. In fact, one of my steel GBs is thinner and actually lighter.

Right now I'm looking at the Next Intent Ti adj GB. 0.58oz for $150. Yes please. (.625").

I was just hoping there might be one that was a bit less expensive that I didn't know about.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:23:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Titanium is not a lot of fun to machine, it also has a tendency for threads in it to gall. This makes an adjustable gas block none adjustable. SLR redesigned their gas block due to their first design causing the threads on the adjustment screw to freeze up.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#8]
For my economy lw upper build (also an aim surplus lw carrier), I'm using a std. Ti gas block and replaced the carrier key with a RCA adjustable.
Perhaps a more attractive option for $100 combined ($40 for RCA key, $60 Ti gb).
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I settled on a supperlative arms AGB.  The weight is double that of a TI as oppose to 3x like most of the other steel GBs I have seen, I can live with that.  I already got it and it's pretty light.  It's a bleed off gas block, I'm betting having the extra gas vent instead of staying in the barrel will help lighten recoil.  You don't gain velocity like with other AGBs but you don't lose any either.

Waiting on the barrel and tube. Should come in the mail tomorrow. I'm sure it will run fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top