Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2017 3:14:41 PM EDT
Hello all.  New to forum and in need of some advice.  Hopefully someone can help guide me in the right direction.

First off, i am in the middle of my first build (that is based off of an 80% lower that I have finished) and plan for it to be a two-part build.  When I say two part build, I mean that I want to build two separate uppers to use on the same lower (figured I could save a little money and space).  My first upper will be a sort-of all purpose lightweight , 16" barrel, build; where as, the second build will be more of a bench-gun build (for good-decent accuracy beyond 200 yards).  Below I will layout my plan for the overall build, but I really need input on the barrel for the bench-gun build.

Bench-Gun Upper Build:
Upper Receiver - Anderson Arms Stripped Forged Upper
Charging Handle - Radian Raptor-SD Ambi Charging Handle (Black) (Not sure if I need one for each upper?)
BCG - FailZero M16/4 Full-Auto BCG - No Hammer (Nickel Boron) (Not sure if I need one for each upper?)
Ejection Port Cover - (Still deciding if i want to put one on or not.  If I do, it will be a Strike Industries poly model.)
Forward Assist - Vseven Ultra Light Forward Assist (Black Ion/Diamond)
Barrel - 18" or 20" Stainless Steel (Parallel Fluted) (I really need some input on this part.  Threaded muzzle or no?)
Gas Block - (Depends upon the barrel selection)
Handguard - Midwest Industries 3GML Series Lightweight Gen 3 M-Lok Handguard AR-15 (15")
Muzzle Device - (Depends on the barrel selection)
Optics - Vortex VIPER 4-12X40 PA

Any/all comments or suggestions are welcome.  However, I really need help with the barrel selection for the bench-gun upper.  Also, should I (could I) just use the same BCG & Charging Handle for both uppers?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#1]
This is the parts list for the lower that this upper will be used on:

Lower (to be used for both uppers):
Lower receiver - Finished 80% Arms Lower
Mag Catch - Vseven Titanium Mag Catch/Release (Black Ion/Diamonds)
Bolt Catch - Vseven Ultra Light S7 Bolt Catch Kit (Black Ion/Diamonds)
Selector - Vseven Hybrid 3 Gun/Sport Selector (Ambi)
Take-Down/Pivot Pins - Vseven AR15 Titanium Easy Pull Pin Set (Black Ion)
Trigger - CMC 3.5lb Curved Trigger (Single Stage)
Castle Nut & Endplate - Vseven Lightweight Aluminum Castle Nut & QD Endplate (Black Ion)
Buffer Tube - Battle Arms Development Mil-Spec Tube (6 Position)
Buffer Spring - JP Silent Captured Buffer Spring Gen 2
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:17:59 PM EDT
[#2]
This is the parts list for the "all-purpose" upper:

All Purpose Upper Build:
Upper Receiver - Anderson Arms Stripped Forged Upper
Charging Handle - Radian Raptor-SD Ambi Charging Handle (Black)
BCG - FailZero M16/4 Full-Auto BCG - No Hammer (Nickel Boron)
Ejection Port Cover - (Still deciding if i want to put one on or not.  If I do, it will be a Strike Industries poly model.)
Forward Assist - Vseven Ultra Light Forward Assist (Black Ion/Diamond)
Barrel - Faxon Arms Gunner QPQ Barrel 5.56 NATO (16"-Mid Length)
Gas Block - Faxon Arms AR-15 Low Profile Gas Block 3 Screw (.625")
Handguard - Midwest Industries 3GML Series Lightweight Gen 3 M-Lok Handguard AR-15 (15")
Muzzle Device - Vseven AR-15 Ti A2 Compensator (Black Ion)
Optics - Vortex Sparc AR & VMX-3T Magnifier
BUIS - Magpul MBUS Pro Set
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#3]
White Oak has what you seek
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, so now I have one manufacturer suggestion.  Anyone have any suggestions on length?  Should I go with an 18" or 20"?  Also, threaded muzzle or no; and do I need to buy another charging handle and BCG so that I one for each upper?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Barrel length depends on exactly what you want to do. There isn't much difference besides length and the velocity each length will push the round to. 

If you want compact while sacrificing some of the velocity you'd get with a 20", then go 18". If you want maximum velocity potential and don't care about length, go 20". 

As for threaded vs. unthreaded, again it depends on what you want. You said bench rifle, so going without threads would be fine. If you want it for 3-gun style competition or you want a flash hider or muzzle brake or want to eventually add a suppressor you'll need a threaded barrel for muzzle devices. You need to decide exactly what you want out of the rifle before picking barrel type/length.

As for having a BCG and charging handle for each upper, YES. Switching one BCG/CH between uppers is just silly. Besides that over time the BCG will break in to a certain barrel/upper receiver. Switching it around all the time isn't going to do it much good. Won't do damage or anything and it can be done if you really want to, but I would never have one BCG/CH for a multitude of uppers. 

Just putting this out there, I see fluting listed as part of what you want on the bench gun. Bottom line: it does absolutely nothing besides maybe shave a tiny bit of weight, but if its a bench gun that shouldn't matter. If you just want fluting for looks, fine, but it's pretty useless in a practical sense. With that in mind I'll suggest BCMs mid-weight 410 stainless barrels. Linky. (Click me). They have shorter lengths as well, including 18". I have 3, two 16" and one 20". All are very accurate, clean easily, look great, and they're heavily profiled enough for anything besides super-precision use. Priced well for the quality. 
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd suggest an 18", if you want the extra performance of a 20" I'd recommend looking at a different (AR compatible) caliber. If you need the performance of a 20" and due to some restrictions have to run 223/556 then of course my advice doesnt quite work so well. 
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:14:12 AM EDT
[#7]
It really depends on range as you want the bullet to still be supersonic at your max desired range.
These days my personal preference for all around and up to 800 yds use is 18”. YMMV
I would go threaded muzzle as it gives you the option of adding something later.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I would recommend 18 for a .223. Both my bench guns are 18's. There isn't a huge velocity gain at 20".
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:55:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top