Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 4:04:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Not all the dudes in the know teach totally squared up.   It never felt very natural to me and I thought I was doing it wrong if I bladed.  There's a lot of things you pick up on here that are supposedly the "right" way to do things.  But then you find out dudes that know how to shoot don't always do what the hive of arfcom says.  

Things seem to be loosening up about what is "acceptable" around here.  But 10 years ago if you bladed at all you received a tongue lashing, sharp criticism, etc etc.  But dudes that have actually been shot at and shoot at people and lived to tell about it, don't always do things the ARFcom way.  Or what WAS the arfcom way.  

The best way to learn is to get instruction from a reputable instructor.  But even then you have to try and figure out what works best for you.  Like Harv said, he didn't do what Pat said exactly, because it just didn't work for him.  Personally, I blade a good amount and I feel I can swing better left to right if I'm bladed.  Totally squared is just like, ewwwww.   I know Vickers shoots pretty bladed.  And there are other guys.   Costa shoots totally squared.  Good for him.  And that might work for other people too.  

Part of learning is getting out there and trying different things while shooting.  Trying different things while dry firing.  Etc etc.   I'm certainly not an expert.  But what I do know is that there is no 1 way of doing it, even though some will try to tell you there is.  That's my main point.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#2]
the reason that being 'squared up' in shooting a rifle came about is that the HSLD community wanted to put body armor (generally a front facing rifle plate) facing the threat
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#3]
5' 10" - 2nd or 3rd notch on a 6-position stock.  Most of my rifles have a MagPul .70 enhanced buttpad installed, so they get position 2.  
I have a fairly bony collarbone, and the edge of the stock tends to push against it when snugged into my shoulder pocket.  The longer buttpad takes care of the issue and, IMO, gives a better grip.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, you're right.

For most people all the way out or close to it is actually the way it should be run, but for some reason once the AR became popular, decades of proper LOP and rifle handling wisdom went out the window as everyone scrunched up into awkward, unnatural positions. It's a rifle. So is a bolt-action gun. The same principles of a relaxed and natural stance apply. I can't stand seeing people who round and raise their shoulders artificially when firing an AR.

Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NPbpNX406U
View Quote
Jesus, thank you. I was starting to think that I was the only person left who knows the right way to do this.

All the way out is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Square up to the target, don't blade.  Elbows locked down, no chicken wings.  Put your nose on the charging handle.  Push your optics forward from that position so that you have the proper eye relief, use an extended or SPR type mount if you need to.  Your stock should be either fully collapsed or out 1-2 clicks, doesn't matter how long your arms are.  When you're shooting from prone should be the only time you'll want the stock out a little further.  A more vertical pistol grip like the MagPul K2, B5 Grip 23, or the BCM grips will help a lot. 
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 2:04:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Depends on whether or not you're shooting with armor. Plates and a carrier add quite a bit to your LOP.
View Quote
Plates and a carrier add ZERO to my LOP and IMO if it does add LOP your plates are too big. I also don't run a carrier that forces me to place my stock onto a padded shoulder strap.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#8]
As short as you possibly can and still shoot prone. If you have to extend your stock to shoot prone, it's too short. The middle of a firefight is not the time to adjust stock length.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As short as you possibly can and still shoot prone. If you have to extend your stock to shoot prone, it's too short. The middle of a firefight is not the time to adjust stock length.
View Quote
Yes this, just find the shortest setting that works in prone and use that.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#10]
To each their own as long as your fundamentals are there. I run a CTR on a 14.5". Im 2 clicks back with my xps2-0 on thr upper receiver closest to the free float tube. I run a bcm stubby grip 3 notches back on a 12" keymod rail. This is comfortable and suits me well for my style. I can hit with it, and it maximizes ergonomics for me. My buddy however picks it up and shows way more recoil than myself, and has trouble staying on target. He also hunches his shoulders to be able to get sight picture. Hos fundamentals are as sound as mine when he runs his rifles suited to him. Just find what keeps your fundamentals in check and keep everything in tight and natural with no over exaggerated body positions, and you should be fine. Plenty of shooters out there on the tube to watch.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I've looked at this since the thread started, and I've noticed that Kyle Lamb, Mike Lamb, Pat McNamara, Kyle Defoor, Frank Proctor and others, all advocate a fully extended stock for greater control over the weapon. Food for thought.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Hers a way to measure LOP

Another data point for discussion.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#13]
There is No Easy Answer.

It all depends on multiple factors like:

- Rifle configuration
- What kind of Optic/Sight is used
- Shooting Position
- Intended Target (single or multiple/distance/etc)
- Physical Body Dimensions + Clothing/Equipment

I continue to see posts like these asking for simplistic answers to complex questions.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top