Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2017 10:33:48 PM EDT
I'm looking to upgrade my 20" A4 to freefloat handguards but the choices are rather overwhelming.  I don't really see a need for rails--I want to keep the standard FSB and the only thing going on the handguard would be a sling swivel.  I'd also like to keep thecost reasonable.

The old DPMS tubes look like what I'd want but I can't find anyone with one in stock.  Anyone know of something similar?
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:27:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you like the classic A2 look?

If so I would recommend Rock River national match float kit. It sells for $115 with the hand guard on RR website. It is in the A2 handguard section They 18% off now so that would be like free shipping.

It comes with every thing you need to install the tube minus the delta ring and some blue locktite.

You will need some tools to change it out. If you have the tools to build an upper you should be all set.

Basically the NM hand guard is tube with a triangle welded on the end. The tube is stiff and will not bend.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 6:34:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you like the classic A2 look?

If so I would recommend Rock River national match float kit. It sells for $115 with the hand guard on RR website. It is in the A2 handguard section They 18% off now so that would be like free shipping.

It comes with every thing you need to install the tube minus the delta ring and some blue locktite.

You will need some tools to change it out. If you have the tools to build an upper you should be all set.

Basically the NM hand guard is tube with a triangle welded on the end. The tube is stiff and will not bend.
View Quote

I don't much care looks-wise one way or another; the DPMS tube is just attractive for the price.  I plan to bolt a sling swivel to it (drilling as necessary) and be done.  I'll probably try a little trigger work too, but nothing dramatic.

I do have all the upper-building tools (just swapped my 16" to a flat-top last night).  Then I'll dig out the reloadimg gear and see if I can't get it shooting nice again (I had a load for 65gr GameKings that was really good).
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:15:41 AM EDT
[#3]
RR also has the Houge tube ones too
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:10:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 12" ALG free float handguard that's NIB that I'd sell to you cheap.

These mount up rock solid, have a quick detach hole on each side and can take bolt-on rail pieces for attachments. It's way better than those old free float tubes.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, there is not too much love for FSB free floats - A 12 in rail leaves a ugly looking gap between the FSB and the rail - Looks like somethng to snag up on - I spent 160$ for a Midwest G3 on my GMR barrel build last year to avoid that 9/16ths gap - Last month I purchased an ALG 13"  VO-E during AIM's anniversary sale, like 65$ - To free float a PSA 20" Freedom Upper -  Band Saw and sand it at the forward holes - Works GREAT!  Looks like it was made for a 20" barrel - One inch sling threads thru the slots so you can sling up tight w/o pressure on the barrel and it is smoother and more comfortable than the the MI that cost twice as much - Now if Amy would do something for the midlenghts....
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:32:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, there is not too much love for FSB free floats - A 12 in rail leaves a ugly looking gap between the FSB and the rail - Looks like somethng to snag up on - I spent 160$ for a Midwest G3 on my GMR barrel build last year to avoid that 9/16ths gap - Last month I purchased an ALG 13"  VO-E during AIM's anniversary sale, like 65$ - To free float a PSA 20" Freedom Upper -  Band Saw and sand it at the forward holes - Works GREAT!  Looks like it was made for a 20" barrel - One inch sling threads thru the slots so you can sling up tight w/o pressure on the barrel and it is smoother and more comfortable than the the MI that cost twice as much - Now if Amy would do something for the midlenghts....
View Quote

Lol that gap is why I'm getting rid of the 12".   I figured I'd get a 13" and mill off what I need.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:47:31 PM EDT
[#7]
The JP hand guard is hard to beat. I have two.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top