Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2017 8:19:21 AM EDT
Anyone here have one of these? Opinions on this handguard?

Apex Gatorgrip

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:16:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 15" variant.  It's a great handguard, very comfortable.  It's also pretty lightweight, assuming you don't slap pic rails all over it.  Built in QD mounts at both ends are pretty nice.  

It also mounts on a GI barrel nut, so if you want to upgrade a factory built upper (Colt 6920, BCM, DD, etc), it's a great choice.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one on a carbine, 4-5 years been great.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:28:47 AM EDT
[#3]
They're nice but expensive. You have to buy the top rail separately.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:54:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I've never seen these before.

Anyone have a pic with it installed?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Mine's painted, but it's a 15" with a 14.5" barrel and BC1.5.  It has a short pic rail mounted for the front sight, and a Surefire Scout light mounted with a Dropwing (I think) Scout mount.  This handguard would also support direct mounting if you'd like to avoid pic rails.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/1613048_14-5-BCM-BFH-upper.html
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine, one of two Apex hand guards I like.

And one I built for a friend.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had two of them very nicely built rails...didn't care for the weight and lockup...but they are some of the nicest rails out there imo.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:13:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 15" on my 18" SPR and I like it.

Light weight and rigid, but expensive.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I like everything about mine, except how far away it is from the upper receiver.  I tried it on three different uppers and the best I got was about an 1/8 inch gap between the handguard and the receiver.  It doesn't cause any issues with the operation but, it is something I would change if I could.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like everything about mine, except how far away it is from the upper receiver.  I tried it on three different uppers and the best I got was about an 1/8 inch gap between the handguard and the receiver.  It doesn't cause any issues with the operation but, it is something I would change if I could.
View Quote

Would you post a pic of this?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is a nice YouTube video on the installation of one.

I think it is on the Apex website as well.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:44:29 PM EDT
[#14]
This is one of the only free float handguards I like and is my favorite overall.  I'm a keep it simple type person with regular handguard and fixed FSB but these Apex HGs look bad ass.  I have never liked an AR with rails all the way down it like a lot of guys here, not that there's anything wrong with it it's just not for me as I don't need the rails.  This Apex handguard looks perfect for me and I've been wanting to get one myself but the cost keeps putting me off.

For those of you that haven't looked at their discounts they have 10% off for LEO/Military and 20% off if you buy $500 or more and 30% off if you buy $1500 or more.  I wonder if they'd do a group buy, as it wouldn't take but 5-8 people to hit $1500 then ship to each person separately. Probably not, but one member could always purchase them for everyone and then ship to each member they'd just be out the extra shipping charge which would probably only be about $7-8 for most people.  It'd still be worth it if ya figure a $200 handguard at 30% off that's $60 in savings so even with an extra $7 in shipping we'd still save $50-60 each doing a group buy.  Something to think about anyways, it gets their prices down to about $125-150 each.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:55:26 AM EDT
[#15]
They do look good, the mount system is great and solid, but what you guys that never held one don't know, is how great they feel in hand. IMO they're a work of art.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:16:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I have one and love it. As posted though, the gap is slightly irritating but not enough to want to change out the rail.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:59:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I have an extended middy on a pinned 14.5 with a flip up fsb. It is a great handguard, and as the previous guy said, it is very comfy to hold. For a hunting rifle, it is one of the better choices. If you need to mount accessories, it might be a bit behind the times. The built in QD sockets are nice, though.

Lock-up is tight, and it just feels better in the hand than any of my other handguard/rails ( a few ALG, Aero COP, magpul MOE, standard A2, etc). The waffle iron texture provides great grip while not having sharp corners.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:20:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They do look good, the mount system is great and solid, but what you guys that never held one don't know, is how great they feel in hand. IMO they're a work of art.
View Quote
Word!  You must experience one to fully appreciate it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I have one on an LMT since 2012. This rifle has the fixed front sight and the apex straddles it to give you more room. It is very nice.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:19:43 AM EDT
[#20]
I have seven of them and won't be buying any more. The market has moved to a point where the Apex just doesn't offer an acceptable value any more. By the time you buy the top rail and a short rail or two they're just stupid expensive. They should have made them in MLOK configuration (they half-ass work with some MLOK Stuff now, but aren't "right" like they should be) and dropped the price $40-$60 two years ago. They also have a weak point on the bottom where there is very little metal because of the cutouts and they're prone to bending easily with nothing more than hand pressure on a vertical foregrip attached to a short rail section. Be sure to use a 4" rail section in order to spread the pressure out some if you intend to run a VFG. If you load a bipod with a significant amount of force this can be an issue as well. I do really like a lot of things about the Apex (bought seven of the damn things) but am moving on now. If you're just running an AFG or no foregrip or bipod and don't mind the $$ then they're great.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#21]
No experience,  but looks cool :) would match a mega gator lower lol
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No experience,  but looks cool :) would match a mega gator lower lol
View Quote
thats what they were made for iirc
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:47:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
And that my good man is a fact!
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 6:21:47 AM EDT
[#24]
I really want one of these but I just can't with ALG's at their price point. Maybe I'll try to pick one up used down the road.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top