Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2017 1:12:54 AM EDT
Does anyone know why certain M4 stocks have a curved profile forward of the latch while some don't?

I always thought all basic M4 stocks were identical to one another but I've noticed some stocks have a 90 degree cut while others have this curve.
I suppose I'm partial to the ones with the 90 degree cut because it looks "cleaner" to me but I'm curious if the added material on the stocks with the curve serve a purpose..

VS

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:18:37 AM EDT
[#1]
The bottom one is what Colt makes.  The top one looks more like.....  others.....  Mostly commercial ones.  But some milspec ones look like the top one also, I think.  I think PSA has ones that are like the top one but are made for a milspec tube.  

But yes, the bottom one is what you will see on a military gun, if it has a waffle stock.  I have tried different stocks and I always go back to the waffle.  I just like it.  I do like other stocks too, but they're usually heavier and I prefer to keep weight down.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:15:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Also The sling swivel area and The rear top corner Are different.

99% of The time the ones with 90 degree angle in front of the latch are milspec stocks
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:29:42 AM EDT
[#3]
So are the stocks with the curve intended for commercial diameter buffer tubes only?

I've seen these stocks being advertised as "mil-spec" from various companies
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:33:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So are the stocks with the curve intended for commercial diameter buffer tubes only?

I've seen these stocks being advertised as "mil-spec" from various companies
View Quote
negative. Ive also owned "curved" waffle stocks in mil-spec diameter.

Colt and BCM are the only correctly profiled ones I'm aware of, Colt being the standard of course.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:34:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Also LMT, Damage industries and a few others use the "correct" version
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Also LMT, Damage industries and a few others use the "correct" version
View Quote
LMT is the best M4 stock, they are tighter.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Colt and P&S contract style below. Basic generic in upper pic.
Upper stock made in both ms/comm. sizes.
Colt/P&S only in milspec, IIRC?

Eta: the stock in the bottom pic can be had from Tactical Intent for like  $19. P&S contract stock/cage code marked "4U486"
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
LMT is the best M4 stock, they are tighter.
View Quote

They also have a reinforced area around the locking pin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top