Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2017 10:20:48 AM EDT
Always enjoy seeing the test results. The first lightweight is perhaps the most interesting in this one. Like most tests, I would like them to have included more, but it wasn't my test or my money.

Twist Test Article
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:05:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Not much testing needed, really it isn't that hard to understand.

Longer bullets need a faster twist because the center of pressure and center of gravity are farther apart than short bullets. Long bullets are more tipsy.

Light jacketed  varmint bullets may come apart when overspun.

Poorly balanced bullets will make worse groups from a fast twist than a slow twist because the faster rpm exaggerates the effects of the imbalance.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Just the opposite. Yes, we understand the concepts, but testing is what allows you to quantify the application of those concepts and dial in for size, shape, etc.  It's not as if there hasn't been plenty of testing, but I'm always interested to read it, just as with other things that have been tested before to see if there is a new twist (yep, bad pun) on the results.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Certainly nothing there to upset my preconceived notions on the subject.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:30:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Berger bullets has an extremely accurate twist rate calculator on line.  They are in the precision match bullet business.  They know twist.

Twist Calculator
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:31:13 AM EDT
[#6]
@MS556, nice to know
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top