Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2017 3:41:01 AM EDT
Ok so after shooting others peoples ARs for years, then owning one, and researching and studying them contemplating my own build since 2012 I'm almost finished buying everything for my first build. One thing I still need to get is a buffer tube and really I don't know what makes a buffer tube good or even what makes a buffer tube middle of the road, low end or high end in terms of quality.My eye keeps going to the ALG true mil-spec buffer tube. It's certainly not the cheapest and it's not the most expensive, but  ALG being the company that it is helps reassure me that I would be getting a quality product. Am I right in going with this buffer tube, and how does it compare with others?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:19:06 AM EDT
[#1]
The ALG buffer tube nice.  The fit and finish are along the lines of a Spikes.  The Vltor is the best machined and finished I have used/ handled.  With that said, I have used Spikes, BCM, Vltor, Good PSA, newer Aero, ALG and Damage Industries.  They have all done what they were supposed to with no issues.  The only issue I have ever had with a buffer tube was from the older softer Aero tubes and the end plate dug into the threads easily.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:35:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Buffer tubes are a dime a dozen, Just pick up a 7075 .mil spec tube and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:30:37 AM EDT
[#3]
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Stock-Hardware-Mounting-Kit-Mil-Spec-p/bcm-stock-hardware-kit.htm

I order this for almost all my builds. I go with the "H" Buffer.
I really trust the quaility of Bravo parts for SHTF builds.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:21:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buffer tubes are a dime a dozen, Just pick up a 7075 .mil spec tube and you will be fine.
View Quote

I gotta go with this. A reputable company and a "true" mil-spec 7075.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Stock-Hardware-Mounting-Kit-Mil-Spec-p/bcm-stock-hardware-kit.htm

I really trust the quaility of Bravo parts for SHTF builds.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I just put D.S. Arms milspec tube on a 6.5 Grendel semi-precision rifle build that I found on Brownells in combination with a Magpul CTR stock.  What attracted me to this tube is that it's machined .003 larger then standard spec.

I wanted the stock to have zero movement when I cinched up the locking lever on the CTR Stock.  At first I was a little concerned that it would make the stock difficult to adjust but that is not the case and like I had hoped there is absolutely no movement when I cinch up the CTR.

Brownells: DS Arms Buffer Tube
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This^^^^^^^.Buy reputable and dont overthink it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Tapco has one of the best mil spec tubes I have seen for the price. It has a unique angle on the front lip that gives easier timing and coverage of the buffer retaining pin. I have not ordered one in a few years but if they are still the same tube I would buy it again. https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/tapco-ar-carbine-mil-spec-receiver-extension-tube-ar09106-751348006086.do?sortby=ourPicksAscend&refType=&from=fn
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#9]
After using a pws enhanced I refuse to build woth anything else. Smooth. Great looks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:38:58 PM EDT
[#10]
My go to is usually Vltor but recently I tried Strike Industries set that comes with the castle nut and end plate for a decent price. I paired it with the Viper Stock and there is some play. I'd like it to lock up a little tighter.

I do have a question, I came across a WMD NiB coated buffer on PA.

Any benefits running a tube like this other than the color?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I really trust the quaility of Bravo parts for SHTF builds
View Quote
Bravo is who I picked for my last two milspec buffers.  You have to be careful because some say milspec dimensions or style, but aren't true milspec.

I also wanted a slightly longer tube for a precision build so I picked a Vltor A5.

Out of stock, but read the specs on the A5 here:  

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/348370/vltor-a5-recoil-system-carbine-receiver-extension-buffer-tube-7-position-mil-spec-diameter-ar-15-aluminum-black
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the replies. I'll look into the BCM and spikes tube. I will be getting the geissele super 42 buffer spring kit to go along with it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#13]
My favorite is the spikes. I like the numbering on top and extra drain holes. Proper 7075T6 and a decent price over at aim.

I'm not a fan of the Super 42 buffer system. I'm not saying it's a bad product but you have to use the proprietary buffer and its expensive. I would get a standard diameter H buffer and a Sprinco spring. The sprinco springs last longer and sell for $20 delivered. Damage Industries enhanced springs are also nice but only available in stock power. Damage springs are on sale for $6 right now but you also have to pay shipping.

Super 42 is supposed to last 150,000 cycles.

Damage enhanced is good for 750,000+ cycles.

Sprinco is good for 1,500,000+ cycles.

Buffer weight should primarily chosen based upon barrel profile. IME H is a great starting place for most builds, especially semi auto builds.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#16]
LMT makes an outstanding buffer tube. It feels hydraulic.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't know if I believe these stats..

I have Sprinco's in all my builds. I can notice a difference in the strength of the spring when I get a new one in vs an older build with thousands of rounds. Same BCG and buffer.

This without having left the spring compressed.
View Quote
It would be nice to see some independent testing.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:00:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Im in love with Viltor but I recently did a build with a kit from Ground Zero Precision and from now on that's what I'll be rocking!
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I recently learned a lot about buffer tubes.

Magpul milspec size stocks require a tube that has tapered threads to allow the stock to go into position 1 correctly.

MANY makers dont go the extra step and time to taper the threads.

BCM does go the extra step.

I have a DSA and 2 PSA 7075 tubes that are not tapered and not FULLY compatible with Magpul.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I wonder if my tube was tapered on my A2 when I was in combat!

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:05:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
LMT makes an outstanding buffer tube. It feels hydraulic.
View Quote
I second LMT
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:09:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, no need to spend a small fortune on a buffer tube IMO.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:36:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I recently learned a lot about buffer tubes.

Magpul milspec size stocks require a tube that has tapered threads to allow the stock to go into position 1 correctly.

MANY makers dont go the extra step and time to taper the threads.

BCM does go the extra step.

I have a DSA and 2 PSA 7075 tubes that are not tapered and not FULLY compatible with Magpul.
View Quote

Welcome to " mil-spec" size".

Sometimes words in advertising can be, while not a lie, just a little misleading.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 4:07:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Anderson 7075 (seriously) "mil spec" buffer tube/receiver extension: under $20. They are all I use now. Fantastic finish, fit, function. Why spend more??
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 4:15:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Welcome to " mil-spec" size".

Sometimes words in advertising can be, while not a lie, just a little misleading.
View Quote

This is a common trap for newbies. "Mil spec Diameter" = mil spec in size only (in other words... NOT mil spec). "Mil spec" = mil spec size, material (7075-T6), manufacturing method (rolled threads). "Commercial" = anything other than "mil spec/mil spec DIAMETER" (could be anything, no regs).
I've emailed numerous retailers who try to pass of "mil spec DIAMETER" as "mil spec" (and many have actually changed their advertising once called out). It is our duty to keep to them straight and honest (you have to call them out on it, so they can not claim "ignorance" on the issue). Many retailers LOVE to "forget" to add the "DIAMETER" to "mil spec" because it portrays a mil spec product when it is NOT (diameter denotes size only, not material nor manufacturing method).
But I've had GREAT luck with Anderson (true mil spec) RE's and their under $20... I see no reason to spend more.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:53:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My go to is usually Vltor but recently I tried Strike Industries set that comes with the castle nut and end plate for a decent price. I paired it with the Viper Stock and there is some play. I'd like it to lock up a little tighter.

I do have a question, I came across a WMD NiB coated buffer on PA.

Any benefits running a tube like this other than the color?
View Quote

I have WMD paired with the JP smooth ground spring.  It is smooth as silk with zero twang.  WMD is a great choice.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:44:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Anderson 7075 (seriously) "mil spec" buffer tube/receiver extension: under $20. They are all I use now. Fantastic finish, fit, function. Why spend more??
View Quote

+1 ^^

I have used 6 or 7 of these and have a couple in the parts bin. They fit fine, finish is good and stocks fit them nicely without being too tight or loose.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#28]
LMT
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#29]
You want

1. Milspec diameter.
2. 7075 forged.
3. Milspec rolled not cut threads.
4. Smooth interior with no ridges from rough machining.
5. Dry lube on interior.
6. Milspec anodising on outside at a minimum and a nice smooth sprayed on finish as optional nicety.

If you really want to go nuts you can do extra short LWRC PDW tube system or the VLTOR A5 length system.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Gonna give Magpul a hair longer to introduce their UBR 2.0 which already has the A-5 compatable buffer tube installed. If that don't work out, going to have to go to plan B which is a Magpul SR-25 tube, attached with a PWS end plate and ratcheting castle nut. That'll be the next best thing to still be angle to use an A -5 buffer and a Sprinco green.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top